First day working.

Like we always do.

 

Your POV

 

I turned the corner and reached my workplace. Taking in a deep breath, I pushed open the door and stepped in only to be greeted by the warm aroma of freshly baked muffins and hot brewed coffee.

"Annyeonghasaeyo Mrs Jung!" I cautiously approached the counter. Mrs Jung came out of the kitchen wiping her hands on her pink apron. "Drop the formalities my dear. Just call me omma. I've always wanted a daughter anyways." I stifled a smile and bowed politely. "Deh...omma."

Smiling brightly, I put on my light blue apron and neatly clipped my fringe to the side. I took out a small notebook and slid it inside the pocket of my apron. Just then, the doors of the shop opened.

"Omo! A customer!" I headed for the door. "Annyeonghasaeyo! Welcome to our café." I bowed and looked up to see a pair of eyes glued onto me. "Ah…can I help you?" His stare was making me a bit uncomfortable.

"Yah omma! Who's this?" He asked Mrs Jung without peeling his eyes off me. "She's new here and you will help her with the basics. Arasso Chi Hoon?" I looked over at Mrs Jung with a baffled expression. 'Mrs Jung knows him? Help me with the basics? Ah! That means he's working here as well! , that was embarrassing.'

I scratched the back of my neck, slightly embarrassed. "Oh mianhae, I thought you were a customer." I whispered to myself but somehow he heard it. "That's okay. I'm Lee Chi Hoon. Nice to meet you." He extended his hand out but I looked at it for a while before briefly introducing myself. "Kim Minju imnida. Please take care of me." I bowed and went off to continue with my work.

 

I started with wiping the counter and setting the table. A few customers entered and -Chi Hoon was it?- attended and served them. I swept the floor and cleaned the windows, really concentrating on my chores. When I was done, I looked around and smiled proudly to myself, wiping the beads of perspire that had formed on my forehead.

 

I took a glimpse of the clock that hung on the wall. ‘I didn’t realize that it had gotten this late!’ I gasped a bit. Hurriedly, I untied my apron and rushed inside the kitchen.

 

-end of pov-

 

Chi Hoon’s POV

 

‘Woah. Omma employed her? She’s so…pretty.’ I gaped at her but she shuffled around uncomfortably. “Yah omma! Who’s this?” I asked omma without taking my eyes off her. “She’s new here and you will help her with the basics. Arasso Chi Hoon?” She turned to look at omma with a confused look but all I saw was her pretty features. From her big doe eyes, to her long eyelashes, to her sharp nose and her pouty pink lips.

 

She scratched the back of her neck and mumbled something to herself but I heard it clearly. ‘Cute.’ I smirked to myself. “That’s okay. I’m Lee Chi Hoon. Nice to meet you.” I outstretched my hand to shake hers but she looked at it instead. “Kim Minju imnida. Please take care of me.” She bowed and went off. I pulled back my hand and watched her retreating figure.

 

‘Okay, playing hard to get?’ I secretly smiled to myself.

 

She cleaned every single spot and I could see she was giving it her all. I was serving the customers, who as usual were satisfied with my service but all the while, I couldn’t stop glancing her way. She looked perfect, even when she was working her off.

 

She wiped away her perspire and scurried into the kitchen. I spun around and looked at the clock.

 

8:00pm.

 

‘Looks like she’s going off soon. Should I send her home? Well it is getting quite late and I really want to get to know her.’ I hesitantly took off my apron. “Thank you so much for today Mrs Jung- ah I mean omma.” I heard her sweet voice coming from the kitchen. I my dry lips and peeked inside. “Omma! I’ll be going off too!” “You are very welcomed sweetheart, take care! Deh, be careful Chi Hoon, make sure Minju here gets home safe. I’ll lock off later.” I nodded.

 

Minju exited the shop and I trailed right behind her. “Where do you live?” I asked her warily. “That way.” She pointed to the east. ‘Damn, I live the opposite way.’ “Do you…want me to send you?” I asked discreetly, not wanting to create suspicion. She lightly shook her head.

 

“That’s okay. I’m fine by my own.” Her hands were clasped tightly onto the strap of her bag. I could sense she was a bit frightened, even with the lights. “I’ll walk you home, even if you protest.” Her eyes rounded for a while but then she looked away.

 

“Come on.” I started walking and I could feel her walking behind me. I could perceive a smile creeping onto my face.

 

 

‘First step, complete.’



 

CommentandSubscribe