Autopsy Room

Vampire Sanctuary: Genesis (SEMI-HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yes boss, it is the same signature. No, I am still looking into it." 

"I understand, a report will be ready when you return. Have a safe trip."

She hung up and placed the phone into her lab coat's pocket before she slid on a new pair of rubber gloves, prepared for another long night in the cold autopsy room.  No pun intended, but the cold never bothered her anyway.  Securing the procedure mask over her tall nose and thin lips, she focused on the lifeless body that lay face up on the large metal autopsy table.  All was quiet and peaceful at this moment in this confined and frigid facility. 

Across from her stood a man that was a head taller than her 179 centimeter frame, while she was young, confident, and beautiful, he was everything opposite to her- mature, cautious, and secretive.  Yet he spoke with hesitation, the scars time left on his forehead became prominent as he pondered his next words. 

"Did a problem arise?"

"No," She breathed out heavily to let out the earlier tension from the phone call. Ever since her superior summoned her back from the States after a series of investigation, the workload didn't seem to decrease as similar events began to also take place here in South Korea.  However, there was no one more suited for the job than her, the perfect candidate to communicate with the dead bodies that held secrets, their secrets.  "You were saying before?"

The man subtly glanced away from her masked expression and returned his eyes toward the fatal wound of the deceased.  It was not her first time withholding information away from him, nor was it his last time burying secrets deep in his heart.  Their embedded loyalties toward their respective kinds had already set a thin line that could never be crossed or destroyed, which would always remind them of their originally different and antagonistic positions and backgrounds.

"I've seen this wound before."

Immediately, she looked up and narrowed her eyes only slightly at him.  "And you didn't recall that memory until now?"

He stared hard and studied the gaping hole in the chest area where the heart used to be in.  Whatever made the hole was nothing he had ever encountered, because he never saw any weapon or anyone with bare hands that could cause the wound margin to be this smooth, as if it was simply air pressure that forced the organ out of the body.

"Because I saw it when I was in Hong Kong."

She clenched shut afterward and allowed her eyes to meet his unreadable ones.  The staring contest didn't last long when she broke the silence. 

"Seven years ago." She felt her body stiffen at her own words, at the mentioned period.  Her hand reached for the probe to begin the session, though there wasn't much for her to dissect.  This female body was identical to the past victims' bodies she had examined, a penetrated wound in th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter