Remains of Normality

Vampire Sanctuary: Genesis (SEMI-HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I peeked out from the gap between the window curtains and immediately grimaced at the strong sunlight that beamed beautifully on the cold, hard concrete ground.  A heavy sigh escaped from me as I shut the scene back out and turned away from the window, moving back to my cold bed.  Sluggishly throwing the thin blanket over my head and body, I sat on the soft mattress and closed my eyes.  In the midst of darkness and silence, I could still hear the stray cat purring at the pot of plants just outside the windowsill.  Usually, I would push the curtains aside and stand idly by the window to admire the stray cats that came and went by my house.  However, for the past bloody hell three days, I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy such simple hobby.  The very idea of opening the curtains disturbed me to a great level.  

Unfortunately, I had rent to pay and a stomach to feed.

Dropping my back backward to lay down, I slammed the mattress with my fists repeatedly and held back the scream threatened to slip out.  All the pent-up frustrations and desperation were starting to eat away my mentality.  I hated it.  I hated it.  I hated it.  Nevertheless, there was never enough time to get my point across because currently, work and paychecks were priorities.  The boss wouldn't give a damn if you had insomnia nor would the government provide free food and a shelter called home.

When I locked the door and threw my key into my bag, I slowly walked out of the shadow and began my way to the train station ten blocks away.  The moment the unavoidable sunlight hit me, I winced at the warm sensation.  It wasn't as bad as I made it sound; it could only get worse by the end of the short journey.  By the time I reached the station, my hands were already trembling.  Gone with the friendly warmth, on my skin was replaced by a gradual uncomfortable burning heat.  I struggled, with the inevitable loss of energy, to pull out the metro card from my wallet and even as I climbed the steep stairs to the platform.

The sun made me more than exhausted.  It drained my vitality.  

 

 

Anna had a worried look on her face when I sat down next to her.  Actually, she was sporting a more so horrid expression.

"Uh- Ray? Are... you okay?"

I took in a deep breath and quietly placed my bag under the table.  The clinic was not busy today.  The appointment schedule had many available slots for extra walk-ins.  I could smell the freshly brewed tea from Dr. Lee's office.

"Yeah, you know, just the usual." I forced out a smile as assurance for her.  She already had enough on her plate to add me onto it.  I could never allow myself to be a nuisance.  I noticed Anna's expression only softened for a millisecond before the space between her brows tightened again.  Then I realized where she stared.

"What h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter