Ch. 2: You're really good at dancing. I wish I could be like you.

Paper Thin Kisses

 

Key’s forehead glistened from his perspiration. He instinctively wiped it away with the back of his hand. He was breathing hard, taking large sums of air into his lungs, but no matter how hard he tried, the oxygen didn’t feel like enough. The air in the room was thick and humid. It was tinged with the scent of sweat and hard work. Key was used to the smell by now because his life seemed to be laced with it.

 

Jonghyun was standing near him, his brow always covered in sweat. His breathing seemed more controlled and evened, and Key envied it. The two had been practicing their dance since the early morning. Taemin and Minho were at another part of the studio, practicing on their singing. Onew was having a meeting with manager hyung about future events and promotions.

 

It annoyed Key that he wasn’t included in the meeting, but he knew that Onew would tell him what the manager said anyway. Plus, he knew his dancing needed improvement. He let out a frustrated sigh, the air traveling quickly out of his weakened lungs. He stretched his thin arms out in front of him, letting his sore and tired muscles relax and breathe. He wasted no time with fully relaxing, and gave a look to Jonghyun, silently telling him to turn the music back on.

 

When the music began playing, they instantly began their work. Key twisted his body to and fro, knowing the movements well. He knew what Jonghyun was doing beside him without having to look at him. When he hit certain spots of the dance where he knew he wasn’t perfect at, he stared into the mirror on the wall, silently analyzing and criticizing himself on the smallest mistakes.

 

When the track went into the chorus and he could hear the familiar phrase, “Noona nomu yeppeo”, he began to analyze his foot work. In their choreography, immediately after that phrase, they were supposed to cross their arms, step back, and take four abrupt steps from one side to the other in eight counts. He analyzed his small steps, letting his eyes stare and find imperfections. His actual movements were fine, but to his horror, he noticed the soft movement of his calf. It was bearably noticeable to the average person, but to Key’s well trained eyes, he saw that his calf wasn’t completely firm muscle. He saw that under his thin skin a layer of fat clung to his small bones. He was appalled because of its elasticity and how it moved softly under his movements.

 

He shook it off slightly trying not to focus, and continued with the dance. However, into the second verse, after Onew’s short solo, he stared into the mirror again, making sure his swooping movements were correct, but against his will, his eyes traveled south and onto his legs. Most people wouldn’t have noticed how his legs vibrated softly to the heavy footwork. But, Key was a perfectionist and was prided by his looks. He stared at himself after his fears were confirmed.

 

The rest of the dance seemed to go by quickly because Key didn’t pay attention to his movements, just his legs in the mirror. It didn’t matter much that he wasn’t paying attention to the dance itself because the moves were relatively easy after the second chorus. It was pretty much just the opening to Taemin’s dance solo and then repetition of their previous movements. For the first time, Key started to feel uncomfortable in his own skin. With sudden determination, he promised himself he would work twice as hard so that his body would be free of fat. He would look perfect by time the debuted. Key being a type B blood type, it was in his nature to follow through with his promises.

 

All while Key was going through this mental battle with his self image, Jonghyun was admiring his fluid, effortless movements. He looked with affection at how Key seemed so focus and graceful with is dancing, none of his moves were too forceful and shaky like his own. When the song had ceased, Jonghyun sighed aloud. His muscles were also tight and sore from the vigorous and continuous dancing they had done for the past weeks. It reminded him of the beginning of his trainee days when his throat would ache from singing practices and his arms would hurt from learning different dances.

 

He never regretted any of the hard work though; it had after all paid off now. But now his gaze was fixated on Key. He let his eyes travel over the smooth pale white skin on Key and the luscious curve of his pinkish lips. He had a young and fresh face, which of a teenager still filled with youth. Jonghyun had always liked how small and thin Key was compared to him, he felt like he was his protector. Without the others in the group knowing, he would always follow Key’s lead, always guide him along at practices and rehearsals for the soon to be events. Because this was his own personal, silent duty, he felt like Key was in a way, his own.

 

“Key, you’ve done really well. Your dancing is so good! You need to help me.” He complimented the younger, showing small bits of affection when he patted his shoulder and left his hand lingering there for maybe a bit too long. Key nodded thoughtfully and smiled a hollowed out look at Jonghyun. The older knew that something troubled the younger boy, so he let his arm go around his shoulder comforting. He didn’t think much more than exhaustion and sore muscles ailed Key, so he didn’t think about it too much. He just allowed himself to comfort the boy with these small bits of skinship.

 

“Are you tired, key?” Jjong’s voice drifted into the younger’s ears. Key nodded thoughtfully. He was indeed tired, his arms felt limp and hot from overuse. His legs felt heavy with extra weight and he felt like he wanted to rest. So they sat down on the old dusty floor and talked nonsense for a while, but all the time they were talking, Key’s mind was cluttered with thoughts about ways to make himself look better and take away the layers of thin fat he was suddenly more aware of.

 

Jonghyun didn’t take notice of how Key was so lost in thought, and one day, he would grow to regret not killing Key’s plans at this point in time.

 

 

(A/N): Aloha~!

I know this is short...I'm so sorry! I will update tomorrow again, I promise...I've been occupied.

I hope the parts about the dancing isn't so confusing? The parts I was referring to was 0:57 and 1:35 in this dance version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wT6YyxuL70

I hope that helps? Sorry.

I will try harder for you! I promise, arasso? I hope you have a great day and smile! Much love!♥

There's no night without stars.
Andre Norton

 -Pura Vida! NightOwl!

Hoot.