Ch. 1: You Smell Good.

Paper Thin Kisses

 

Every movement was in synch. Not a single move was different. They had turned into the same person.  When one’s arm moved, the others moved. At the same pace, at the same time, with the same energy, they all twirled, spun, and stepped. The movements were so practiced; it was hard not to be in synch anymore. Even their heavy breathing was at the same time. They were all sweating and heaving out for breathe, but still, they danced to the same beat. They didn’t dare move without each other. They were all the same. They had to keep going with the rest of the group. Their legs were shaking, but they kept going. The music that was blaring sounded like white noise. It was just a mash up of words and sounds that didn’t make sense anymore.

 

Panting and with the last bit of their energy, they finished their dance. They all stopped at the same time. Their bodies were frozen for a few seconds in the same pose until the music was off. They all allowed their bodies to relax at the same time. Minho let out a breath that he had been holding in since the beginning of their dance. He was praying that this was the last time they would have to do this damned dance. They had rehearsed for weeks to get down all of the steps perfectly. They danced late into the night. Onew, being the leader of the newly formed group, would motivate them telling them that this was the last time if they got it right. They never got it right. But, right now, Minho felt like maybe they might have done well enough to be able to stop.

 

Taemin had a smile on his lips. His body was sweaty and sticky, but he felt confident that they had done well. He rested his hands on his knees and breathed deeply. He had practiced more than everyone else. He was the dancer of the group, so he felt the need to do the best. When everyone else was exhausted and sleeping in the cramped quarters of the dorm, he would sneak off and practice the routine more and more. His body had become more used to the lack of rest and he had become thinner. His form was wry and thin, hard muscle started forming under his pale skin.

 

Five pairs of eyes were all set on their choreographer, waiting for his response. He looked at them with his stone cold eyes. They looked like a sharks eyes. They were dark and no light shined back from them. Minho wasn’t sure if they seemed that way because the man was emotionless or because he himself just hated the choreographers judging looks. Either way, he couldn’t read his look.

 

Taemin gave the choreographer a hope filled smile. He had tried so hard his legs burned and his lungs felt like they were collapsing. He wanted for the choreographer to give him a compliment. He didn’t even have to give him a compliment actually; he could just say that they were doing better. He could just nod. He could just smile. He could do anything. He could anything he wanted as long as it was in some way positive because that’s all Taemin wanted. He wanted to know he was at least making some progress with all the extra work he was putting in.

 

“You.” The choreographer said pointing to Key. Key gave him a puzzled look. He pointed back at himself with pursed lips and furrowed brows. His face displayed only utter confusion.

 

“Me?” He said quietly. Key was normally brave and daring. He was never shy, but when the gaze of the choreographer stared down upon him, he cowered in fear. Even his Diva-filled-ways were brought down by the fearsome choreographer.

 

“Yes, you.” He said while rolling his dark, emotionless eyes. “What were you doing?”

 

“I was...dancing?” Key responded in bewilderment. The answer was obvious, at least to Key. Jonghyun and Key traded looks of bafflement, both trying to figure out what the choreographer was trying to say.

 

“It didn’t look like dancing to me. You were out of step.” He said with a nonchalant sigh. He then let his gaze land on Onew who was sitting on his heels near the back of the room. Onew looked at him with a flicker of fear in his eyes.

 

“You are too clumsy. You can’t even control your movements.” He said with a huffy breathe. Onew hung his head in shame. He knew he was clumsy, but it was something he could not control. As the leader, he felt that he was supposed to be the good example, but he had failed his dongsaeng’s. The choreographer continued his tirade with Jonghyun.

 

“Your movements are too harsh. You look like you’re trying to punch an imaginary person.” He said with a small laugh. A spark of anger flamed in Jonghyun’s eyes. He was almost purely muscle, so he sometimes didn’t realize the amount of strength he put behind his movements. He glared at the choreographer. But by then, the choreographer looked at Minho with a relentlessly blank stare. Unlike the other members, Minho matched his look with his charisma filled gaze. If any normal person were under Minho’s look, they would fall apart, but the Choreographer stood his ground and stared back. They battled with their eyes, both putting up their best defenses against the other. The choreographer sifted his gaze to someone else, and Minho gave a small nod. He knew he won, but there was no point in being too cocky.

 

“You should practice more.” The choreographer said softly to Minho. Minho nodded slightly. He was going to have to practice anyway, so the comment didn’t bother him. Then the choreographer looked at Taemin. Everyone’s eyes were on Taemin. Taemin could feel their undying gazes upon him but he kept his head high and proud. He still felt confident. He had trained so hard that he felt like he had to be praised.

 

“You’re the lead dancer, correct?” Taemin just nodded in response. He didn’t trust himself to speak. He knew his voice would crack under the pressure of their looks.

 

“I expected more of a lead dancer. Maybe you should practice more with your friend over there,” he said coldly while motioning towards Minho.

 

“But…” He choked out. Taemin’s pride crumbled. He had already tried so hard, he didn’t know what else he could do. He was already giving his best. He bit his lip and hung his head. He knew there was no point in even trying to argue. He wasn’t up to the standards he was supposed to meet. He had failed. Minho gaze a hate filled gazed at the choreographer, but he didn’t seem to care. He sighed and started walking towards the door of the small beige colored studio.

 

“You’re free to go.” He called back to their defeated forms. Taemin grabbed his bags and practically ran out of the room. Minho felt his heart sinking. He knew how bad Taemin must have felt at this moment. He quickly gathered his things and followed after him, leaving the other members sitting alone on the dusty wooden floor.

 

By time Minho had reached the dorm, he could hear the shower running in the small bathroom. He walked into the bedroom that was shared by all the members. It was a decent sized room, and he didn’t really care about how spacious it was. They only slept there. They were always busy training so it wasn’t like they were ever actually in the dorm. As long as he had a place to sleep he didn’t care.  He set his things in the closet. He sat on the bottom bunk of the bunk-bed he and Taemin shared. He rested his elbows on his knees and rubbed his aching temples.  Training was becoming more and more draining, but he wouldn’t give up. He couldn’t. He had already come too far.

 

 

 

By time it was midnight, all the members were tucked into their beds. Jonghyun and Key shared the bunk bed across from Taemin and Minho’s bed. Onew was deep in the comforters in the bed that lay between the two bunk beds. Minho was only in a light sleep. Too many thoughts were going through his head for him to fully immerse himself in sleep. He could hear stirring above him. He knew Taemin would toss and turn and turn during the night sometimes from his bad dreams, but when he opened his eyes slightly, he could see Taemin’s thin legs hanging over the top bunk. He watched silently as the younger boy quietly got down and started tiptoeing out of the room. When Taemin was already out of the room, Minho let his curiosity take over him. He got up just as quietly and followed after the maknae.

 

When he looked down around the dark dorm, he found no trace of Taemin. He searched through the darkness, but he had no clue where he was. After a few moments, he walked out of the dorm and started walking down the street. He knew Taemin well enough to know how he thought. He knew his pride had crumbled at the choreographer’s words.  He also knew he was going to try to regain that pride. He walked through the cold night towards the studio where they practiced dance. By time he got there, Taemin was already sweating heavily from dancing so hard. His face was flushed and his mushroom hair was sticking to his forehead. He practiced his movements flawlessly over and over again.

 

Minho walked slowly into the studio, trying to remain quiet. He watched Taemin dance for a few minutes. The young boy was so deep into the movements and dancing he didn’t even notice his hyung’s  presence. When the music stopped, the maknae took a second to rest. Only then did he notice Minho’s reflection in the mirror. He turned to face the older boy with a face that conveyed confusion.

 

“What are you doing here?” he said with pursed lips.

 

“I should be asking you that, Taemin-ah. You should be at home sleeping.” Minho said in a demanding voice. Taemin shook his head and turned to pay the song again. Minho grabbed his wrist and turned the younger to face him. He gave Taemin his charisma filled look.

 

“Taemin, you need to sleep. You’re working too hard.” Minho said in a calm but demanding voice. Taemin looked him in his eyes and wasn’t fazed by his charisma filled gaze.

 

“You don’t understand, hyung.” Taemin said while trying to pull away. He tried to pull away from Minho, but Minho just gripped him tighter.

 

“I do.” He said simply.

 

“No, you don’t. Let go of me.” Taemin said with impatience. He tried to pull away again, but Minho just pulled him closer.

 

“Taemin, you’re going to push yourself too far. You need to rest.” Minho tried to convince him. Taemin shook his head.

 

“No, I need to practice. I need to be better. I’m supposed to be the best, hyung.” He said while fighting back tears. Minho patted his back softly.

 

“You need to sleep more. He said to practice with me, neh? We can practice together later, araso? But, now, we both need to sleep.” Taemin just nodded his head in response. He leaned heavily into Minho as he lead him outside into the cool night. Minho let the younger rest most of his weight on him. He was practically caring the boy, but he didn’t mind much. Taemin’s small head rested on his shoulder. Minho breathed deeply and could smell the vanilla scent of Taemin.

 

He smelt really good.

 

(A/N): Aloha~!

I hope you enjoyed my first chapter of my baby. Aigoo, I have tried very hard. Thank you for reading! I appreciate it! I hope you enjoy reading this because I really enjoy writing it! Have a super great day and remember to smile.♥

감사합니다

Creativity takes courage.
Henri Matisse

 -Pura Vida♥NightOwl

Hoot.