Parental Hazard

Romantic Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leeteuk tugged at her ruffly collar for the eighth time until bony hands smacked her arm. ''Stop that! You're ruining the volume.'' Heechul fluffed the collar up more. ''If you stepped out of this limo making my creation look bad, I'm going to dump your husband's in Antarctica.'' Back at his office, Kangin sneezed.

''Did you have to make such an uncomfortable dress!'' Leeteuk whined, flattening the white ruffles around her neck once more.

''You're the one who said 'don't dress me like an oldie'!" was Heechul’s response in a fake shrill voice in apparent imitation of Leeteuk.

''I'm not old!''

''I didn't say you're old. Get your ears checked you old hag!''

''Pikachu!''

Both women looked at the seat in front of them. Their 19-month-old grandson was strapped to a car seat and making grabby hands. Below his feet, a Pikachu toy was fallen. Leeteuk picked up the toy and returned it to Changmin. The toddler hugged the toy and mumbled in gibberish to it.

''Who's going to watch over him?'' Leeteuk voiced the question she asked twice before on the way to the Regency Hotel.

''I will of course.'' Heechul said with misplaced smugness, ''You just be a good host and raise lots of money. Here.'' Heechul took off her white satin choker and put it on Leeteuk. She then arranged sections of Leeteuk's hair around her shoulders and neck. ''The collar should irritate you less this way.”

''Thanks... I think we're here.'' They looked out the window as the limo entered the driveway of the hotel.

In front of them, a line of expensive cars led to the main entrance with guests dressed in white stepping out. The Jungs had organized a charity fundraiser in their hotel's garden. In the absence of Kangin who's busy with work, Leeteuk will be the main host of the white-themed event.

She herself is wearing a white halter gown with a gold-trimmed ruffle collar from Heechul's design. Heechul is dressed in a sharp ivory pantsuit with metallic embellishments on the shoulders and between her deep neckline.

Considering how good the Kim diva looks, Leeteuk has high expectations about Jaejoong's look. She didn't get to see her daughter-in-law dressed because they left early with Changmin. The toddler's parents will join them later when Yunho is back from work.

''Did it rain?'' Leeteuk asked, noticing the hotel staff wearing transparent raincoats on the grounds. ''It drizzled while you were getting your hair done.'' Heechul didn't seem to care as she got Changmin out of the car. ''Don't worry. Joongie already called ahead and had them move the dinner and auction to the ballroom.''

Leeteuk sighed in relief, ''thank goodness Joongie takes after your husband.'' that earned Leeteuk a nasty glare from the diva.

''Just go.'' Heechul shoved the other to walk ahead, wishing Leeteuk would trip or something. But that would ruin her creation so nevermind.

When they arrived at the garden, Leeteuk was already busy greeting and welcoming guests. Heechul, not one for socializing with strangers, led Changmin to their designated table.

''Up you go.'' Heechul heaved her heavy grandson on to the chair. ''Now listen here kid.'' Heechul spoke in the tone she mastered with Jaejoong and Junsu, ''You stay close okay. Don't run off too far without grandma.'' Changmin nodded and then pointed at a waiter walking with a plate of hors d'oeuveres. ''Food.''

''Yes, you'll get some. But don't you dare get your clothes. Dirty. Like. Last. Time.'' Heechul punctuated each word with a poke to Changmin's tummy tickling him. But he understands since all the adults told him not to dirty his white and blue overalls and turtleneck.

She flagged a waiter who brought them a plate of assorted appetizers and a flute of champagne. ''Keep the food coming. This kid eats a lot.'' the waiter smilingly obeyed and went about his work.

By themselves, Changmin stuffed his face and Heechul ignored everyone. She looked either absorbed in her grandson or her phone so she doesn't have to wave or mouth hellos to people. God forbid anyone would strike a conversation with her.

Though it may appear that she's not paying attention to anyone, Heechul was observing everyone.

''Hi!'' Park Eunhye arrived dressed in an ivory wraparound dress, quite underdressed for Heechul's taste.

''didn’t you wear this last month?''

''Why are you keeping track of my clothes?!'' Shrieked Eunhye. ''Anyway, isn't Junsu here?''

''she's got a recording at SBS today.''

''Wow... She's really busy these days isn't she?''

''Well, her career just started. But Yeah, we worry she's pushing herself too har-the !'' Heechul cursed looking at something beyond Eunhye.

''Kim Heechul!'' Admonished Eunhye while jumping to cover Changmin's ears.

But Heechul couldn’t be bothered about profanities in front of her grandson. Devil knows she has dropped a few F-bombs when Jaejoong was a kid. And really, the situation demanded a curse or two.

If Eunhye didn’t know better, she’d say Kim Heechul was downright scowling. So she turned around and tried to nail Heechul’s line of vision. When she pinpointed a certain group, Eunhye asked, “Is it about Kang Yoonhee?”

“Who’s Kang Yoonhee?”

“the woman you’re staring at.” Eunhye glanced behind her and then back at Heechul, “you’re glaring at that woman with the messy updo right? That’s Kang Yoonhee.”

“So that’s the witch’s name.” Heechul gave that woman overdressed for the occasion a onceover and scoffed when Yoonhee laughed a bit too exaggeratedly at that fat old man’s joke.

“Wow… for you to call Kang Yoonhee a witch, she might have pissed you off real bad.” Eunhye internally wondered how Kang Yoonhee is even alive if she got on Kim Heechul’s bad side.

Heechul snarled at a certain memory. “why is she here?”

“Why shouldn’t she be? Kang Yoonhee never misses a social event. Especially if it means getting her photographs in the media. That’s why she’s always dressed over the top.” Eunhye slightly cringed at the plunging neckline and thigh-high slit of Yoonhee’s glittering white gown.

Not that she has a problem with the outfit as such, but Kang Yoonhee isn’t exactly Salma Hayek. Her age and unpleasant nature make Kang Yoonhee look like one of Cinderella’s stepsisters. And like Eunhye always told Yoochun to teach him about inner beauty, Cinderella’s stepsisters were ugly because of their personality, not their appearance.

“Hey, fun fact. Kang was gunning for Yunho for her younger daughter. But Yunho went and knocked up your daughter before she could even make a move.” Heechul pinned Eunhye with narrowed eyes and the other woman raised her hands in surrender, “Hey! I mean in it a good way. Last year, they were pestering Yoowhan and me to match up Yoochun with her daughter. I’m so glad Yoochun already has Junsu coz I had no idea how to turn down her persistent requests.”

Heechul softened for a moment till her eyes fell on Yoonhee again. This time the reviling woman was showing off her diamond necklace to a trio of women. “Yeah. You dodged a bullet.”

“what did she even do to you?”

Heechul’s eyes followed Kang Yoonhee who was now approaching Leeteuk. The Jung matriarch looked visibly uncomfortable as she greeted Yoonhee with air-kisses. Leeteuk smiled uneasily when Yoonhee said something and touched Leeteuk’s borrowed choker with a condescending expression like it was some cheap piece of trash. Just that made Heechul scowl harder.

“She poked the Mama Bear.”

“Yah Kim Jaejoong!” The little doe-eyed girl pried her eyes away the sight of the giant spider crab on the other side of the glass when she was called. It took only one look from her Mama to toddle to her and hug her leg. “Didn’t I tell you not to wander off on your own?”

But Jaejoong only gives her Mama a gap-toothed smile in return. That childlike excitement is contagious and not only is Heechul’s chastising expression replaced with a smile, the little girl in her arms is also fidgeting to run around with Jaejoong.

Heechul looked at Junsu whining to go to Jaejoong and she hitched her higher. “Sorry missy. But you’re not running off anywhere with your hand like that.” At that, Junsu looked forlornly at her broken arm in a cast. Heechul diverted both the kids’ attention to the closest aquatic display. “Look, jellyfish.”

Jaejoong was quick to plaster her face on the glass like she has been doing with every aquatic display here. Heechul leaned a little forward so Junsu could press her palms on the glass and gaze at the small jellyfishes.

“Are jellyfish made of jelly?” was Junsu’s curious answer.

“I don’t know. And both of you are not going to meet one to find out, ever.” Heechul may have sounded like she’s scolding them unnecessarily. But she has the right to worry about her babies encountering sea monsters dammit!

“Unnie!” Yoona walked over to them and Junsu was already leaning towards her mother before Yoona could even get close enough. Heechul and Yoona did the kid transfer quickly before Junsu, heavier because of her cast, would slip out of either of their holds.

With Junsu secure on her hip, Yoona showed the tickets she was holding. “I got them.”

“that was fast. I thought we’d be done with Sea World by the time you would get the passes.” Heechul even plucked the tickets out of Yoona’s hold to examine if they were the real deal. “You didn’t get them from a scalper did you?”

“I don’t think amusement parks have scalpers.” Scoffed Yoona. “It’s the middle of a workday. How many parents will skip work to take their kids to the park on a Tuesday?”

“Hellooo?” Heechul gestured at herself at that remark. Well, she’s not exactly skipping work since she finished her spring campaign last week and is on a break for a month.

That’s why they decided to take Jaejoong and Junsu to the amusement park instead of shopping or movies like they usually do. It would be the girls’ first time to a park and they are beyond excited.

Heechul and Yoona bickered among themselves as they completed their Sea World visit faster and walked to the park nearby.

Just the sight of the gate was enough to make Jaejoong squeal and try to run inside  as fast as she could. But Heechul tugged her back with her hand, “Don’t you dare. I told you. No. Running. Off.”

“Ne Mama!” Jaejoong squeaked like the obedient girl she is.

''Unnie, she'll be too scared to have any fun if you keep scolding her.''

''Well excuse me for worrying!'' Heechul huffed but inside, she agreed. So she silently decided to loosen up while keeping an eye on Jaejoong.

They went around the park and tried every ride Jaejoong and Junsu could go on. The kids were absolutely taken in by the magic show, especially when Junsu was invited for a trick. Even Heechul and Yoona flexed some skills at the shooting games.

_

''Get to the point." urged Eunhye but it was met by a scowl. ''Shut up. I'm on a roll here." And Heechul stuffed a canape in Changmin's waiting mouth before continuing.

 _

Jaejoong persuaded her mama to let all of them get matching face art and Junsu is very close to overdosing on candy floss.

''That's enough Junsu.'' Yoona snatched the candy floss, which was actually Jaejoong's half-eaten one. She's not the type to throw away food but she can't roam around with candy floss for the rest of the day. So she threw the stringy treat into the trash.

''Mama~'' Junsu whimpered and Yoona would have melted at the watery tear drop eyes under the butterfly makeup. But she's well aware the sugar high will kick in soon and that's a lot worse.

''Let's just get lunch and hopefully she'll calm down.'' Heechul said while wiping her face with a wet wipe.

Yoona huffed seeing her sister wipe the paint as soon as they sent a picture to their husbands. But she's not going to waste her breath on her adamant sister.

_

''How do you know what Yoona was thinking?''

''Because she was thinking aloud.''

 _

 ''Mama can Joongie have spicy udon?''

''You can have whatever you want as long you don't waste any of it.'' Heechul picked up Jaejoong so the tot could have a look at the menu displayed. Jaejoong pointed at the very tempting grilled meat platter. ''You want this?'' Jaejoong nodded without tearing her eyes away from the picture.

Just then a shrill squeak cut through the food court. Heechul, Jaejoong and pretty much everyone else there turned to look at Yoona with a hyper toddler.

Junsu had climbed halfway over Yoona's shoulder trying to get god knows where with her flailing legs and swinging arms.

''Sugar high?'' Yoona didn't bother answering. Of course Junsu is high on sugar. Isn’t it obvious.

''get me the same and an ice tea. I'm heading to a table outside.'' and Yoona escaped with Junsu before they made a spectacle.

Heechul was amused and mentally noted to not let Jaejoong have any more sweets. ''I'll have two servings each of the grilled chicken and kimbap. An ice tea, two strawberry shakes, and water. Can you have someone bring it to the table?'' The person at the counter took the order and accepted Heechul's card.

After she placed the order, Heechul went to the table Yoona had saved for them. On the way, she noticed a there was a group of kids huddled around a four-tier cake. The area was decorated in a pink theme and there were balloons with ‘Happy Birthday’ written on them.

''Didn't know you could have birthday parties here.'' Heechul remarked setting Jaejoong on the chair and taking a seat beside her. ''I didn't know either. Maybe we can have the girls' birthday here next time.'' Even as Yoona spoke, her hands had pinned Junsu to a chair. The girl was between giggling and whining and very close to overpowering her mother.

“Why don’t you just let her burn the sugar?” Yoona rolled her eyes. Obviously, it’s easy for Heechul to talk. Jaejoong doesn’t like sweets as much as Junsu.

As usual, Heechul can tell everything in Yoona’s mind. “Look. It’ll be while before our food gets here. And there’s a play fountain right there. Let Su and Joongie play there.”

“Oh. My. God.” Yoona narrowed her eyes in disbelief, “I can’t believe you of all people is suggesting a play fountain!”

It was Heechul’s turn to roll her eyes. “Okay fine. I’m worried they’ll catch a cold. But Hankyung told me if I am a party-pooper, he’ll wear orange and plaid.... Together!''

Both shivered at that mental picture. ''so let them play. Joongie will keep an eye on Suie. Won't you baby?''

''Neee~'' Jaejoong sang out enthusiastically, eager to be the responsible lady for the first time.

''Well okay...'' Yoona couldn’t argue that and she was getting tired holding down Junsu. She looked Junsu in the eye serious. ''You stay with Joongie okay?''

''NE! NE! NEEEE'' They cringed at Junsu's loud response. The moms aren't even sure Junsu understood.

Before Yoona could give further instructions, Junsu finally broke out of her hold and ran off in some random direction. Jaejoong set off right after, already catching up with Junsu and pulling her to the play fountain.

Their mothers are somewhat amazed at Jaejoong’s strength to pull Junsu along.

They keep a hawk’s eye on the both of them in utter silence. The sudden spurts of water from the floor was actually perfect for a hyperactive Junsu. It helps that her plastered hand slows her down.

Jaejoong had her own thing going on trying to predict where the water is going to jump out from. She was losing big time because the fountain would somehow be behind her. Heechul and Yoona watched in amusement as Jaejoong apparently scolded one innocent fountain.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter