Seven

The Animal Within

Minzy effortlessly flew with the wind. Racing against the sun, she ran with the sun light trailing behind her. Leaping forward, she flipped up and through her window and onto her feet. Closing her eyes, she stood as the sunlight followed in lighting her room. But the warm sensation only lasted a split second as her senses picked up on another scent. Opening her eyes, she gazed over to her bed to see Seunghyun sitting at the edge of her bed with his arms propped up on his knees as if he had been waiting for her arrival.

"Did you run in your human form the entire time," he asked.

She nodded as she walked over and sat next to him, "Yeah."

The two sat quietly for a moment before he sat up and took her hand in his. She didn't move away, but instead sat and stared as he intertwined their fingers and held her hand tight. "Thank you for coming back," the sincere gratitude brought up that odd comfort yet again. 

She sighed as she leaned her head onto his strong shoulder, "Thank you for letting me clear my head."

"It wasn't by choice," he chuckled. "I couldn't catch you."

She sat up and stared at him with a scolding look, "Aren't you supposed to be in your prime time?"

"Whatever, I'm just glad you're back," he turned to meet her gaze.

The teasing soon faded as the two of them suddenly were face to face, only a breath away from each other's lips. Minzy sat wondering how his lips would feel against her very own. But the guilt of Mino, combined with the fact that Seunghyun was being forced to be around her consumed her. The thought of Seunghyun being there because he had too put her off. Pulling away, she faked a yon as she coughed, "I'm a bit tired. I think I need some sleep so that I'll be able to function when our honorable guest arrive."

"Yeah, of course," he stood to his feet and grinned. "Don't sleep too long. I know how you are," he teased.

"I can't help it if I love sleep," she waved him off as she got under her covers and watched as he left her alone to her guilty thoughts.

 

Minzy stood at the edge of the mountain top and cried out to the full moon. With tear stained cheeks, she called out for her mother and brother. She needed them now more than ever. She needed her mother's support and her brother's strength to pull through this week.

"Why are you crying," a voice called from behind.

Her head snapped back as a strange young man who seemed a bit older appeared before her. He was strikingly handsome and held a look of mystery about him. "What," she huffed as she wipped at her eyes.

"What is a pretty young lady crying like that for," he asked again as he continued to walk towards her.

She shrugged as she gazed up at the moon, "I miss my mother and brother."

"What happened to them," he asked as he stood next to her.

She didn't understand why, but she found herself being completely open with this stranger, "My mother died giving birth to me and my brother died at war with someone I thought I loved."

"Hmm, that sounds tragic," he frowned. 

Minzy could only continue to pour out her soul to the complete stranger, "And now I'm trapped in a situation to where I have no say." 

The stranger walked closer to her and seemed dazzling in the moonlight, "You always have a choice." 

But she shook her head and turned her gaze up towards the full moon, "There's no choice in the matter when there are other people's lives at stake."

"Spoken like a true leader," he said as he stood next to her staring up at the moon. 

She scoffed in disbelief, "Please don't speak such things. It is my brother who was and is a true leader. He chose to stay and protect our family. He chose to sacrafice his life so that I may freely live mine..."

"Which is why you are willing to follow through with marrying Seunghyun?"

Deeply thinking on his question, she found herself short of an answer, "I...I must agree that he too is being forced in this prediciment. Though I feel as though this should be a burden I carry alone." 

"A wise man once told me that it is better to let others help you carry the burden so that it may be light enough to bare it," the stranger offered her a piece of unwanted advice.

"I don't think it is fair to let others shoulder your burdens as we all have our own to bare," she countered. "Plus Seunghyun has done more than enough baring of my heavy burdens." 

"Spoken like an original lycan," the stranger chuckled.  

Minzy was suddenly awaken by a loud thunder and lightening. Gasping at being startled, she gazed over to see that it was time for her to get out of bed and get dressed to meet some important people. 

 

Minzy sat staring at her loose curls that fell at her shoulders in the mirror. Sighing she turned and gazed over at the glistening tiara and placed it upon her head. It had been years since she last wore it and yet it felt like it was yesterday that she had decided it no longer was who she was. But even she knew it was best to grow up. Cracking a smile at herself it was funny how she was back doing her rightful duties.

"You look beautiful," Father's voice boomed from behind her. His voice shook her to the core as she felt his strong hands sit upon her shoulders. "You look just like your mother." 

The mention of her mother caused her eyes to quickly fill with water, "I wouldn't go as far as to say that Father. I am far from the beauty of Mother." 

He chuckled at his daughter being so humble, "That is because you have the heart of your father." 

She turned to see her father looking at her with all the love in the world for her. It was as if he still saw her as his baby girl, "Father...I am so...so sorry that I left you." 

He reached out and wiped the stray tear that fell from her eye, "My child you will always be my baby girl. No matter how powerful you are and no matter how long you are away from home."

Minzy lept into his arms and held him tightly, "Father I don't want to be. I just want to be your baby girl and live a normal lycan life."

He pulled back far enough to gaze down at her face, "There are somethings in life that we born with and you child are born with the power to lead our pack." 

"I will never be as good as you or my brother," she cried. 

He kissed the top of her head and smiled, "Of course not, with Seunghyun by your side you will be better." 

Clinging onto him with all her strength, she wanted nothing more than to believe her father. 

 

Taking a deep breath, she made her way out of her room and down to the ballroom. She held her head high as she entered the room and made her way towards where her father and Seunghyun stood talking to what she assumed to be the guests. Approaching the group, she was able to catch a glimpse of Seunghyun and she could see a glint of something shimmering in his eyes when her eyes met his, but she couldn't tell exactly what it was. 

"Ah there is my girl," her father smiled brightly.

As the group turned to look at her, she in turn bowed gracefully before raising up to meet their gazes. Looking over at the guests, she couldn't help the gasp that left her lips at one in particular. "My lady," the man grinned at her knowingly as he bowed before taking her hand to press a soft kiss to the back of her hand. "It's good to see you again." 

Minzy felt her cheeks burn with embarassment, "How?"

"Do you know my daughter," her father asked. 

The man stood tall and smiled, "Not exactly, I'd like to say we met in a dream once." 

"You're a dream hopper," Seunghyun stated in a matter of fact tone rather than a question. 

"Guilty," the man chuckled before turning his attention back to Minzy. "My name is Jiyong and you must be the lovely Minzy that I've been hearing about. Would you do me the honors and have this dance with me?" 

Minzy couldn't deny his gentlemen like gestures and took his arm as he escorted her to the middle of the dance floor. Twirling her around until she was wrapped up in his arms, she laughed at his nifty moves. "Wow you're quite the dancer." 

He shrugged as he led her across the ballroom floor, "One of my many talents."

"You are so humble," she teased.

"And you are so beautiful," he said straightforward causing her cheeks to burn up yet again. 

"So you're a dream hopper," she quickly said to change the subject.

He nodded as he twirled her again, "Yes I am." 

"I'm kind of embarassed about my dream."

"Don't be," he shook his head. "I apologize for prying into such a dream. I hope you can forgive me. I was trying to get a glimpse of what we were walking into. Usually I don't interfer with dreams, but I couldn't help it by the way you were crying out to the moon. I couldn't just stand by and not say a word."

She grinned grateful at his thoughtfulness, "Thank you." 

A cough was heard and the pair turned to see Seunghyun standing before them, "May I?"

"Of course," Jiyong grinned towards Minzy before releasing her. 

"Minzy," Seunghyun said as he noticed her watching Jiyong walk away from them. "Minzy," he called her name again making her look up to him. 

"What?" 

He sighed as he held her possessively against his own tall stature, "Please remember that we are to be married in a week."

"What is that supposed to mean," she frowned. 

"Just please be careful. Remember that they are not our ordinary guests," his voice held warning as if he was keeping something from her. 

She shrugged it off and leaned against his chest, "Sure." 

 

The rest of the night Minzy was by Seunghyun's side greeting and meeting the various people. She was grateful that he had gave her a quick debrief of each person they met and took control of most of the conversations. It's not like she couldn't carry a conversation, but Seunghyun actually knew each and every person in the ballroom. She could tell that each person held him with high regards with the way they talked to him and she also could tell by the he responded to each of them, he did as well. 

Grinning up at the fact that he was such a caring guy, she squeezed his arm, "You're pretty cool."

He chuckled as he gazed down at her, "I've always been cool."

She shrugged knowing that to be true, "Yeah, but I just had to say that." 

"That's the best compliment I've heard all night," he smiled. 

"You're welcome I guess," she giggled seeing it wasn't that great of a compliment. 

The couple was soon interupted as Jiyong came into view. "My lady we are so grateful to have been honored with such a delightful party. Please excuse us as we make our leave for the night." 

She frowned as she nodded in understanding, "Awe, thank you so much for coming. I hope to see you all throughout the week." 

"But of course. If that is what you wish," Jiyong smiled polietly. 

"It is," she smiled and bowed as they turned to leave. She felt Seunghyun squeeze her hand tight and she looked up to see him staring hard at Jiyong as if he could possibly burn a hole into the back of his head. "Seunghyun are you okay?" 

Her voice broke his trance as he shook his head and looked down at her and frowned. Using his free hand he grazed the side of her face, "Must you be so nice?" 

She laughed and elbowed his side, "What? At least I didn't tell him to sleep with me." 

He glared at her with intensity, "Not funny." 

"Damn Seunghyun, since when did you become so serious."

She watched him heave and frown, "When your brother died." 

His words cut her deep as she gasped at how sharp his words were to his ears, "I''m...sorry." 

But he shook his head and gave her hand another squeeze, "No I'm sorry for bringing that up." 

As much as his words hurt the both of them, she took his hand and led him out to the dance floor, "C'mon let's go dance."