Three

The Animal Within

Minzy sighed as she slipped on a pair of shorts. Grinning at how it was a little loose, she walked further into the cave until she came upon the fire pit. Lighting it, she couldn't help but glue her eyes on the lovely paintings and markings that were on the walls that were passed down from generation to generation telling of the lycan history and prophesies.She felt moisture build up in her eyes as she came upon her favorite painting of her family. It seemed more like a dream that she even had a complete family. Reaching out and touching the figure that was assumed as her mother, she closed her eyes trying to imagine her life if things had turned out differently. 

"I miss her too," Father's voice called her back to reality. "But those memories are pointless if we do nothing to preserve them." Sitting by the flickering fire he sighed, "I come here to clear my thoughts and remind myself of what is most important. You and your brother are my kin, my flesh and blood and I cannot see anyone else fit to take over the pack."

"But what am I to do? Traditionally it is the alpha male lycan who rules. I don't think our pack will understand your way of thinking, let alone other packs!"

"My child that is when you becoming a grown woman comes into play. It is time for you to find your mate. You must find someone of pure lycan blood and bare children to secure the pack."

Minzy choked on her words as she felt as though the wind was knocked out of her, "I..."

"Pure breed lycans is of the utmost importance my dear."

"Father do you know what you're asking of me? You're asking me to sacrifice my life and give a special part of me to someone I possibly don't even know!"

He nodded in understanding, "There are some things that are beyond our own control. As my father taught me, we must rewrite the wrongs of our ancestors. We must accept the curse as a blessing and..."

"To remember that we sacrifice ourselves for our family and loved ones," she finished his memorized speech. "But why must I pay for our ancestors' choices?! How is that even fair?!"

"If there's anything I taught you it was that life was cruel and unfair! With great power comes great responsibility. None of us come into this world truly understanding the pains and suffering that we must overcome, and you must also my child. Minzy...please see the big picture for what it's worth. Your choices affect those around you. It is a selfless act that so few can say they've experienced."

Listening with both her heart and mind, she was torn between duty and self worth. In her heart she knew she was born into this world to do more than just bare children. Though baring children is a miracle in itself, there had to be more miracles in life to experience. But even if her heart was in a world of its own, in her mind it all made sense and she knew the cruel reality of her life. She truly was blessed with gifts and given more than she felt she deserved at times. Though her brother of course was first choice. His short life didn't allow him to procreate. It was then left up to her to baring children and raising them to lead the pack that one could take pride in. 

"You are to be married by the next full moon to a pure bred lycan of your choice and that is as far as I can stretch out my life span for sure and the rest will be a toss up."

"In a month?!  You're telling me that I'm going to go out and find someone that I will marry and spend the rest of my life with in a month?! There's no way," she shook her head as a headache began to form slightly on her right temple. 

He sighed deeply as he glanced back towards the water fall with a far off distant look, "I knew you would react like this, which is why I have already chosen your mate for you."

She nearly choked on her saliva at Father's words, "What?! Father not only do you want me to sacrifice my life to someone in a month's time, but you've already chosen for me?! Who is it?"

He nodded as he stayed staring at the water fall, "Minzy I know the last time did not work..."

"You're right, it didn't! It in fact drove me away, so far away for me to not be there for my brother," she began to tear up as the memories began flooding her mind. 

Minzy was nothing short of obedient and extremely innocent when she was told that she would be married to someone on her fifteenth birthday. Though to many humans it was frowned upon, traditionally this was the age that pure bred lycans would experience arranged marriages to keep their bloodline pure. But what Minzy didn't encounter were the hardships to come with being obedient and innocent. She experienced her so called fiance mistreating her with harsh words and even having an affair with a human during their engagement. Even if she was treated so, she stayed true to her arranged marriage, consulting with both her brother who had been married for two years to Bom and Seunghyun as her trusted brother like figure. But one can only be pushed so far before they break, and that is exactly what had happened the night before her wedding.

Minzy gave it one last shot to find peace in her soon to be marriage life. Holding the small charm braclet close to her heart, she made her way to her fiance's territory. He strangely wasn't there or with any of his so called friends, but everyone she asked about him gave her pity looks. Ignoring such looks, she searched various woods, until it hit her. He had to be with her, the human he seemed to be so desperately in love with. Rushing to the human's house, she could smell his scent. A sudden force hit her and she went tumbling to the ground to see, Seunghyun and her brother shaking their heads. She found it silly that her brother and Seunghyun would follow such superstitions of the bride and grooming not seeing each other before the wedding. Regaining her footing, she was confused as she saw her fiance and the human woman hand in hand with items in their hands as if running away. Crying out to her fiance, she watched as he shape shifted and carried his lover into the dark night.

Everything after that was a blur to her, she didn't know how she ended up home so quickly. Tearing everything related to her wedding was ripped to shreds, especially her wedding gown. Her anger and rage didn't feel like it was enough, as she still found herself chasing after the woman and her now ex-fiance. It was in her heated moment, that her memory was hazy. She had caught up to them and the next thing she knew she had the woman by the throat. Minzy's hate-filled eyes bore into the woman's frightened eyes as life began to leave her fragile body. It took Father, her brother, and Seunghyun to pull her off before she could really kill her. Collapsing onto the ground, flashes of her fiance lying unconscious with the human woman craddling him to her pack crowding around the scene it was too much. Howling at the moon, she took off running. Running and never looking back to what she once knew as her home.         

"I promise you child, you will not experience what you did in the past with who I have in mind," Father's voice rang in her mind bringing her back to reality. "He awaits you outside the water fall. I just hope that you do not let your past see good in the future ahead of you." Before she could say a word, he dashed out of the cave and past the water fall.

Minzy was left alone to sort out her thoughts as she tried to look past the past and rush out like Father into the bright future he claimed that was awaiting her outside.

 

Author's Notes: 

Hey hey hey! It's me again, giving ya'll another update. If only I was able to do daily updates with my other fics I'd be pretty proud of myself. Ah, well I hope ya'll enjoy this update. Until tomorrow...DUN DUN DUN!!!