Nine

The Animal Within

Minzy bit back the sob as she watched Seunghyun from afar. She wasn't dumb, she knew damn well what she saw. All of those odd comforting feelings to the way he looked at her, it all made perfect sense to her now. But the circumstances they were in prevented her from saying what she really wanted to say. As hard as it was for her to see him hurt more because of her, this had to happen. Watching as he fell to his knees and cry out to the moon was excruciating. His cry sounded as if something was being ripped out of his chest before he clenched his fists and shifted into his wolf form. Quietly she waited because she knew this was the only way. But even if this was the only way, she couldn't help the tears that spilled from her eyes. Soon the skies were pouring their tears along with her. Trembling she gasped as if she had been holding her breath for a while and held herself. Choking out her emotions, she found herself curling up in a ball. This was her time to fall into her moments of weakness as she realized she could no longer out run her fate. 

 

There was a hushed silence that fell upon the mansion, but that didn't stop her from tossing and turning all night. Forcing her eyes open, she used the little strength she had to rise. Honning into her senses, she couldn't feel the presence of him anywhere. She figured it was a good thing, it would be easier for her departure. But in the back of her mind she hoped. She hoped just for a split second to see or feel of his presence one last time. Groaning at her hopless romantic self, she knew better than to give herself false hope. She had broke his heart. Why would he return when he had no reason to? Sighing she pushed those thoughts aside to prepare for her leave. 

 

Minzy was startled as she could sense someone approaching her room. It wasn't the fact that she was getting used to well defined senses, but the person who was at her door. "Come in," she called over her shoulder before the person knocked. Sitting quietly, she waited for the person to let themselves in, "Yes?" 

"Must you really go," the soft voice asked surprising Minzy yet again. 

Minzy turned to see Bom standing with a frown upon her face, "Bom you and I both know the answer to that question." 

Bom shrugged as she sat on Minzy's bed across from her, "At least I can say I tried." 

"It's surprising that you of all people would want me to stay," Minzy bluntly said knowingly of their history together. 

"Minzy I loved your brother. Though I didn't see it at first and wondered how we were ever to be mates it happened," Bom said smiling sadly. "Even if you don't believe I did because I was with his best friend first. I can tell you that we don't always find our one true mate our first try. Sometimes the one person we're meant to be with has always been right there with you and you just haven't seen it yet." 

Minzy didn't understand why Bom was telling her all this. Maybe it was a last attempt to try and save what was left of whatever relationship they had, "It is a relief to know that you loved my brother dearly." 

Bom grinned as she shook her head and walked up to Minzy taking her hand in hers, "I didn't tell you that because I was trying to defend myself in any way. I was telling you that for your own sake." 

"I don't understand," Minzy truthfully spoke. 

"You do. You just don't want to admit to it," Bom smiled as she gave her hands a comforting squeeze. 

"My responsibilities rule over matters of the heart." 

"Spoken like your brother. But you will never truly know your responsibilities if your heart isn't in it," Bom countered. Raising their hands and placing them over Minzy's chest she continued, "Your first responsibility is to your heart, remember that." Leaning forward, Bom kissed her forehead before taking her leave. 

 

Minzy was fairly impressed with the massive golden carriage that arrived in front of her house with Jiyong as her . She sighed as she turned to see her father standing before her. He seemed to look differently at her and she couldn't pin point exactly what though. "Father I'm going to miss you." 

"My child this will forever be your home," his voice cracked with emotion. 

As if she hadn't cried all night the night before, she ran into her father's arms and cried some more, "Thank you father. I will do my best to make you proud." 

"You've always made me proud. You remember that," he breathed into her hair as he held her tightly. 

"I will," she breathed as she inhaled his fresh earth scent, engraving this moment in her mind. Reluctently pulling away, she gave him one last kiss on the cheek before she made her way to the carriage. 

 

"I see your powers are starting to take shape on you," Jiyong grinned as he opened the carriage door extending his hand out to her. 

She bit her lower lip and fought the urge to turn back. She knew what her fate was, yet she still wasn't sure she wanted to out right accept it. "I..."

A firm grip took hold of her wrist and she felt herself being pulled back. She was twirled back and into strong arms. Smashing against the rock hard chest, she inhaled his strong earthy scent. He smelled like fresh rain that had fallen from heaven, "I can't let you go." 

"Seunghyun what are you doing," her father came out rushing with others from behind. 

But Seunghyun ignored all the inquiring minds and focused his attention to Minzy. "You lied to me! You and I both know what you saw was more than just the hurt..."

"Seunghyun please don't do this," she pleaded sensing Jiyong ready to lunge at him. 

He took her by the shoulders and shook her, "Listen to me! Tell me the truth damn it! What else did you see?!"

She found it hard to avoid his darkening eyes, "I...it doesn't matter anymore. Please Seunghyun..."

"That's where you're wrong. It does matter," he said before he descended down and crashed his lips against hers. 

Minzy had lost all resolve as she fell into his kiss. Working her lips against his, she felt something deep within her come undone. She felt as if she was invincible and on fire as he held her tightly against his own flesh. The way his lips fluidly ran against hers, it was as if they were meant for one another. But the kiss was cut short as she felt herself being pryed away from Seunghyun's delicious lips. 

Gasping as she stood in awe at the tingling that still lingered on her lips, she wasn't aware of the fight that broke out before her. A flash of light crossed her vision and suddenly she came to seeing Jiyong and Seunghyun in their wolf form fighting. She stepped forward to be caught on the arm of her father, "You must let this happen. You know the rules." 

Minzy wanted to cry feeling like a helpless damsel in distress on the sideline watching as Jiyong and Seunghyun lunged at each other. She cringed as Jiyong landed a hard scrape across Seunghyun's chest. Hearing him howl, she wanted nothing more to stop it. But it was the rule of the lycans that held her along with her father's strong grip, they had to abide by them. Her honor was on the line. This was the way of their ancestors. 

Seunghyung was getting thrown left and right as Jiyong seemed reserved through it all. It was as though the fight was turned into a beating for Seunghyun as Jiyong clawed at his face. Minzy bit her lower lip as the bloodied up Seunghyun continued to hang in there with every hit. Every hit that made Minzy jump and shiver as she could see the life that was being drained from him. 

"Father you have to stop this," Minzy pleaded as she felt the tears start to build in her eyes. 

"He chose this fate my child. There is nothing I can do," Father sadly said as he too felt sorry for Seunghyun. 

Minzy cringed and crinkled her nose in disgust as Jiyong bit a huge chunk out of Seunghyun's neck. Watching as he then fell to the ground, he lay panting. Meanwhile Jiyong circled him as if wanting to drag out this moment to teach Seunghyun a lesson. It was a harsh lesson to be learned as Seunghyun's eyes started to glaze over as he gazed over in Minzy's direction. 

" the rules," Minzy cried as she instantly was by Seunghyun's side. Scooping his head into her lap, she didn't realize the force field she placed around them as she brushed her hand across his face and allowed him to shape shift back into his human form. She could feel how near death he was and she didn't like it at all. It seemed as if he was always ending up hurt because of her. Yet when she had tried to take the hit for him, he still found his way to take the bullet. "You want to know the truth," she trembled as the tears started to fall from her eyes as she could see he started to gasp for air. "I did lie," she tried to grin but failed. "I saw everything," she whispered as her trembling fingers traced the outline of his face. "I saw...just how much you truly loved me," she shivered as the truth fell from her lips. "Couldn't you see I was trying to show you just how much I loved you too by letting you live," she coughed a laugh. "Seunghyun you stupid. I'm not worth dying for." 

She watched as he painfully shifted to gaze in her eyes as he breathed, "Yes...you...are." 

Minzy screamed out in pain as she watched Seunghyun take his last breath. Craddling his head against her body she couldn't believe what had happened and neither did the earth as it shook. Rising to her feet she felt her pain and hurt starting to consume her as the winds lifted her body from the ground. She could feel the strength of the earth wrapping around her body as she thought she heard a faint call of her name, but that faint call wasn't strong enough. She was too overwhelmed with emotions that her will to her powers started to take over. Taking one last glance at Seunghyun's lifeless body, she let the unknown consume her. 

 

Author's Notes:

Yay guess what, you're almost done! One more chapter to go go go! Thanks for subscribing, reading and commenting! Much appreciated!!!