- 09 -

Losing to the Heat

Her eyes could've dug a tunnel right through thick concrete walls of a maximum security prison, so intense her stare was. She knew she wasn't supposed to act like that but it was hard to stop herself. How was she supposed to tear her eyes away from the heart-stopping sight?

Besides, she had no part in the on-going conversation. Initial introductions had been done and the business talks had kicked in. She had nothing to do or say other than downing glasses of champagne...and staring. Tiffany was doing the same anyway. Just as she had roved her eyes over the lady in red, so had Tiffany and she was doubly glad for her dress. According to Sooyoung and Sunny, she looked great in it and if Tiffany's expression was any indicator, she certainly thought so too.

“Ste—Tiffany here is our new lead racer.”

“I've heard of your skill in racing, Tiffany.”

Taeyeon followed her eyes as they flicked from her to Sunny's uncle.

“I'm flattered, Mr Lee.”

“I heard great things about you but it's such a pity I've yet to witness it.”

“You're welcome to visit our practice sessions down at the track,” said Paul. “We'd love to have you over.”

“Sure.”

“Your niece and her friend can come along as well. In fact, if memory serves me well, Taeyeon here is the one who sold the Bugatti to me.”

Tiffany smirked. “Yes, she is.”

Paul smiled and patted Tiffany's hand, “You would remember.”

Taeyeon stiffened at his words. What did he mean by them? Did he know about...

“Your memory is far superior to mine, as always,” he continued and Taeyeon's nerves calmed down instantly. She was much too strung up. Unnecessarily too.

“Taeyeon has great driving skills. I wouldn't forget her so easily.”

. What is she going to say now? She'd better shut up!

Fortunately, Sunny interjected, “Thanks for the invite, Paul. Taeyeon and I would be honoured to visit. I love looking at fast cars.”

“Well, it's set then. All three of you will come. I'll have Tiffany show you around before the practice session. Then you can sit back and watch her race.”

“I'll have my secretary set up a time with you,” said Sunny's uncle and Paul flashed a wide smile.

“Wonderful.”

“Please excuse me, I need a touch up.”

Taeyeon looked at Tiffany, a brow raised in question.

A touch up? Which part of you needs touching up other than those thighs...or that rump.... Why are you looking at me like that. What the ?

Tiffany's eyes had seared a scorching bolt right through her just before turning away and leaving the group. What was that about? Was that an invite...? She decided to find out. She waited a moment before excusing herself as well and headed for the powder room. She pushed the door open and stepped in carefully. The last thing she wanted was to trip and fall in front of Tiffany. Her pride wouldn't be able to handle such a downfall, literally.

There was a short corridor to get through before the room opened up into a spacious area with elegant marble sinks and full length mirrors. She could see Tiffany's reflection in the mirror at the far end and turned to look at the real thing. Tiffany in the flesh. It could've been the effects of the champagne interfering with her judgement but she thought Tiffany looked pretty darn good. Good enough to eat.

Tiffany turned slowly and faced her with a smile, as though she had been expecting her. “You came,” she said, sounding pleased.

It was strange but she didn't want to give Tiffany the pleasure. “What are you talking about. This is a bathroom. I'm only here to use the toilet.”

“Is that so?” Tiffany's smirk was defiant, blatant in her challenge.

“Exactly so.”

“Fine. Suit yourself. All the cubicles are empty. Have your pick.”

Taeyeon shrugged and entered the nearest cubicle and cursed as she tried to lift her dress to avoid staining it.

“Do you need help in there?”

She gritted her teeth and steadied herself as she sat on the toilet bowl. “No.”

“Alright.”

She bit her lip and fumbled with the silky fabric for a while before finally managing to clear her bladder. She stood with a sigh of relief and stepped out of the cubicle with the sound of water gushing down the toilet behind her. Tiffany was still standing in front of a mirror, touching up.

“Do you really need this much time to touch up?” she couldn't help saying. Somehow, she simply couldn't leave Tiffany alone.

“Taeyeon, I have something to tell you.”

“What.”

“I...” Tiffany's eyes fluttered shut. “I can't go to the races anymore.”

Her world stilled just then, her head lifting and floating as her heart sank. “Why not.”

“I'm not allowed to.”

Realization set in and Taeyeon scoffed at her deliberate omission. Tiffany wasn't fooling anyone. But she wasn't happy either. She'd been right about Tiffany and she hated it. “So, he found out huh.”

“Yes. He found out and he didn't like it.”

Taeyeon almost laughed out loud in spite of herself. “Of course he wouldn't like it. You belong to him. Why would he let you tumble around in somebody else's bed.”

Tiffany glared at her. “I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the races. He found out I lost to you and wasn't pleased.”

“Would he be pleased if you had won?”

“Maybe. I'm not sure. But whatever the case is, he doesn't want me to risk losing my license.”

“Ah...yes...his precious lead racer. The championship, of course. You stuck up pro racers and your wimpy race circuits. Yes, you're one of them. I almost forgot.”

“Taeyeon, you know I'm not one of them. I'll always be a street racer.”

“Yet here you are, telling me you can't join the street races anymore.”

“The Roulette is coming up in a few months. I'll be able to quit this after and return to street racing.”

Her heart lifted at those words but Taeyeon merely shrugged. “I don't need to know. It's none of my ing business whether you quit or not. What I do know is, the bets are off. No race, no stakes. That's your choice.”

“Taeyeon, I—”

“No problem, Tiff.” She tossed her hair over her shoulder, smirked at her reflection in the mirror and continued, “I'll just find some other racer to .”

The words had barely left her lips when a fierce tug sent her reeling backwards and slamming into the wall behind. Tiffany's face was in hers the next instant and her breath was right out of her lungs by those dark, cloudy eyes.

“Can you stop it for just one ing moment? Why do you have to try so ing hard to push me away? You want me. You ing want me I can see it on your face. So why do you have to be so ing mean to me!”

Her mind was in a whirl, spinning from the impact of her back hitting the wall and Tiffany's words piercing her heart, lungs and every other vital organ. And for a moment, she almost came clean. The words that were buried deep within almost made it out into the open. Instead, she heard herself saying, “Because you're a ing , that's why. I hate women like you.”

“I. Am. Not. A. ing. .”

She couldn't stand it anymore. The need to kiss those moving lips was so strong that her insides were about to burst into flames. But there was no way she was going to cave in to her desires again. No way. Not after seeing what Tiffany was really like. Not after seeing the world that Tiffany wanted to be part of. Heck, was already part of.

“I. Am. Not. What would it take for you to believe me.”

“Kiss me.”

There was a moment of stunned silence and the sound of their breaths mingled between them.

“No.”

“What?”

“First you insult me and push me away. Then you ask me to kiss you. What kind of a sick demented person are you.”

This time a laugh bubbled up and made it out. And another. And another. “You know what? Yes. I'm a sick demented girl. Glad you realized that. You should stay away from me. I'm bad for you. Stay the hell away.”

It didn't make any sense but she thought she saw Tiffany's eyes glisten just before turning away.

“Go away, Taeyeon. Get the hell out.”

“Tiffany.”

“ you, Taeyeon. Just go.”

Her voice had changed. She was sure of it. “Tiffany.”

Tiffany pushed herself from the sink and headed for a cubicle. She followed quickly and snuck in before Tiffany could shut the door.

“Taeyeon, get out.”

“You're crying.”

“I'm not.”

“Yes, you are.”

“Shut up and get out.”

“Tell me why and I will.”

“No.”

Taeyeon d for the latch and slid it into place, locking them in. She leaned against the door and her head fell back against it, her eyes closed. Nothing made sense anymore. Nothing. Tiffany was driving her crazy. She couldn't say the things she wanted to say, nor do what she wanted to do. Tiffany turned her world upside down and emotions inside out. Okay. Maybe the bubbles played a part too. The bubbles and Tiffany's intoxicating presence.

She opened her eyes and looked at Tiffany, seated on the toilet cover. She heard a single sniff, quiet and small but it was enough to make her feel sorry.

“Fine. You're not a . I take it back. Happy now?”

Without warning, Tiffany looked up and stared deep into her eyes. Straight in, deep down and soul searching. “You said you hate women like me. Women. So it's not just me.”

They were treading on thin ice and she didn't like it. “Don't turn all Sherlock Holmes on me now.”

“Why are you like this in real life.”

“What do you mean in real life.”

“In real life. Like this. Face to face.”

“And you've met me in an unreal life?”

“I watched your videos online.”

“My videos.” She knew she wasn't entirely drunk but Tiffany wasn't making any sense. Was she drunk too?

“Your racing videos.”

“Oh. Those.”

“Yeah. Those.”

Taeyeon shrugged. “So what. Those videos only show my car.”

“But the way you drive. So brave. So daring. I really love the way you handle your car.”

She snorted in response and Tiffany stared at her, making her blood run hot and cold. Those eyes. So deep. So dark. She could stare into them for a long time and never be sick of them. Next thing she knew, she was whispering in Tiffany's ear, her lips brushing the edge, lobe to tip, just barely.

“I want you.”

Tiffany raised her lips and brushed them against hers. “Then take me.”

Her breath caught in and her head seemed to clear for a second. Long enough for her take a deep breath. “Let's get out of here.”

Tiffany blinked and stared only for a brief moment before nodding. “Okay.”

With that, she grabbed Tiffany's hand and unlocked the door. It was time to leave.

-

It's so awkward. How do I even say it? How can I say such a thing to my sister?

“Kisses for your thoughts,” Yuri's husky voice tickled her ear and she turned to face the tanned beauty with a tired smile.

“The test. I...I don't know how she might take it.”

After their first meeting, she hadn't been able to get Crystal out of her mind. Yuri had been a great help, staying by her side and giving her support but there were things she had to do, things she had to say by herself. Yuri couldn't be the one when it came to things like that.

“It's the best way to make sure.”

“It feels weird. She's my sister. I know it. Making her take a test to prove it—”

“Sica...you have to be careful.”

She sighed and shook Yuri's arm off her shoulder. “I'm tired of being careful. All I want is my sister. Why is it so hard?”

Yuri didn't answer but she knew what was on her mind and even though Yuri was only trying to protect her, somehow, it irked her tonight.

“Not everyone is trying to get my money. I'm sure Crystal isn't one of them.”

“I'm not saying she is. But the fact is, we don't know.”

“Crystal isn't like that. I just know it.”

Yuri sighed and shook her head. “Whatever you say, Sica.”

Her hand shot out and pushed Yuri's shoulder before she could even stop herself. “What's wrong with you. Are you jealous or something.”

“You know I'm not.”

“You are. You're afraid I'll find my sister and spend all my time with her, right? You're secretly hoping Crystal is a sham. You don't want me to find my sister at all.”

Yuri put her hands up and backed away. “I'm not. You know I'm not. You're in one of your moods, so I'm not going to take the bait. I'll wait for you in bed.”

She slumped back against the couch and threw her head back on the cushions. Yuri knew her too well and she felt sorry for lashing out at such a gentle girl who had done nothing to deserve it. But her mood was still in a bad place and it was better for her to join Yuri in bed after she sorted herself out.

-

Yuri's eyes were closed and her form was relaxed. Thinking she'd fallen asleep, Jessica got into bed carefully, trying not to wake her up. She settled down under the sheets and to her side to look at the girl whom she loved. Feeling sorry, she leaned in and pressed her lips on Yuri's cheek.

“I'm sorry for yelling at you,” she whispered and jumped in her skin when Yuri opened her eyes suddenly and turned to her with a grin.

“Feeling better now?”

Jessica bit her lip and nodded. “I'm sorry I'm such a rotten girlfriend.”

“You're not.”

“I am. A good girlfriend would never had said those things to you.”

“You didn't mean them, so it's okay.”

Jessica shook her head and inched closer to Yuri. “It's not okay. You should be angry with me or something.”

Yuri chuckled. “It's your style. Your bark is way worse than your bite when you're troubled. I know better than to take your words seriously. But don't make it a habit, okay?”

She slipped her hand under the sheets and found Yuri's waist, pulling herself close. Her legs slipped between Yuri's and tangled themselves happily. “I love you, Kwon Yuri.”

Yuri's lips brushed against her forehead and she smiled as Yuri said, “Now these are words I take seriously. Goodnight, baby.”

-

The ride up the elevator was the longest moment of her life. It was so hard to keep her hands to herself. But by some superhuman effort, she managed to get to her door without ripping Taeyeon's dress off. She opened the door as calmly as she could, trying not to let slip how much she wanted to kiss the snow white skin above the silky blue dress. Somehow, the door swung open and she stepped in with Taeyeon close behind.

She'd barely had time to turn after shutting the door before she was assaulted by a pair of lips, hot and wet. Those lips headed straight for her nape as an arm locked around her waist from behind. She gasped as she was forcefully pulled back against the soft body behind her. Then, her ears were attuned to the sound of a zip. It was her zip. She was being undressed.

Her dress fell to her feet and the arm tugged, dragging her backwards. She stepped out of her dress and tried not to stumble. Refusing to be taken by Taeyeon like this, she turned around and flung her arms around the woman's neck. Their line of vision aligned and sizzled, crackled as the electric charges jumped and leapt from their irises into the air between them.

Hairs all over her body were standing at attention. Muscles everywhere were tensed. Nerves were strung up and dangled precariously in mid air. It was only a moment but that was more than she could bear as heat surged and pooled between her legs.

“.”

She heard the cuss, felt the hands on her rump but there was no further move from Taeyeon. It was a stand off. A stand off to see who'd cave in first. But did she even care? Something within her snapped and her hands dug into Taeyeon's dark curls as she crushed her lips onto hers.

She didn't ing care.

-