- 02 -

Losing to the Heat

The doors opened and the sound of heels meeting the polished floor resounded through the echoic space. Taeyeon groaned internally. She was not in the mood to handle another clueless car buyer. She was not in the mood to explain every part, every utility and every function of cars that had way too many functions. All she wanted to do was to sit in the office of the showroom and watch her time slip away.

She hadn’t been in the best of moods ever since Tiffany disappeared on her. It had been one of the best nights she’d ever had with anyone, until she woke up to nobody. To make it worse, Tiffany, even when she wasn’t physically present, was bothering her. Entering her thoughts at various moments of the day, Taeyeon found herself thinking about how smooth Tiffany’s skin was and how beautiful she looked, at the most inappropriate times.

She could be on the verge of closing a deal when a vision of Tiffany’s would pop into her mind, distracting her. Or she could be having dinner with her friends and an image of Tiffany baring her s to her would surface, taunting her. And that irritated the heck out of her.

Who was Tiffany. Why would she be hung up on a girl who obviously didn’t care enough to stick around till morning. She’d slept so soundly that she didn’t even hear the car’s engine starting. Damn it. Tiffany didn’t want a relationship. She got that. What made Tiffany think she couldn’t handle one night stands? It wouldn’t be her first. And it freaking well wouldn’t be her last either. Damn it, Tiffany.

Taeyeon, there’s a customer.”

I know.”

Well, get moving then.”

Yes boss.”

Stop calling me that.”

Taeyeon flashed a grin at the petite yet curvaceous woman who sat across from her, busy playing yet another game on her phone.

Boss Soonkyu.”

Shut up if you don’t wanna be fired.”

Boss Sunny then.”

My uncle’s the boss. Not me.”

Taeyeon chuckled. Sunny’s buttons were fun to push. Her reaction, even more entertaining as time passed.

I know.”

Move your , Taeng. Stop moping over Tiffany already.”

I’m not moping.”

I’ll believe you when you get your out there and close a deal.”

I’ll show you.”

Taeyeon pushed to her feel and strutted out of the office and towards the sound of the heels.

Hi, I’m Kim Taeyeon, welcome to Speed Machine. How may I help you, Sir…?” she said as she rounded a car and closed in on the customers. She realized they were a man and a woman. The man had on a stylish shirt and the woman looked deliciously slim from the back in a slinky red dress that barely made it to her mid-thigh. They both turned around, the woman taking a fraction of a second longer to, and Taeyeon found herself staring at a pair of familiar eyes that made her blood race and slow down at the same time.

The big brown eyes she stared at stared right back at her but showed no signs of recognition. Meanwhile, Taeyeon couldn’t believe who she was looking at and any other words that were going to be said literally died in . And that made her pissed. Pissed with the woman’s reaction, or lack thereof. Pissed with the woman’s cold eyes that bore none of the desire and competition that she last saw and liked. What the was going on?

Miss Kim, I presume,” said the man and Taeyeon acknowledged it with a curt nod. “I am Paul and this is Stephanie,” his hand gesturing towards the woman beside him. “She's looking for a car.”

Taeyeon eyed the woman called Stephanie, her displeasure climbing higher and higher by the second. Stephanie’s arm was linked with Paul’s and it made her even more pissed off. Stephanie. That’s rich, thought Taeyeon. So it turned out Tiffany hadn’t even used her real name that night. A pseudo name. What the hell, Tiffany? Or should she say Stephanie?

I would be happy to help Stephanie with any questions she has.” Taeyeon put on her best deal clincher smile and aimed it at Paul, full blast.

Good. I'll leave her in your hands.” He turned to Tiffany and patted her hand. “Take your pick. The cost is none of your concern.”

Taeyeon caught Tiffany's smile and even though it wasn't meant for her, she had to admit it was beautiful. And unforgettable. It was the sort of smile that stuck around, clung to her memory, making sure she didn't forget. Damn it. She needed to find somebody else to distract herself. The last thing she wanted was this pathetic feeling of desiring something that wasn't hers.

Which sort of car are you looking for, Miss Stephanie?”

Something fast. Something y.”

It was hard to put her finger on it but Tiffany's husky voice was irresistible. It crawled over her skin, digging in just enough to keep a hold on, not letting her heart slow down at all.

I know the perfect car then. Fast, y and the most expensive car in the house. Come with me, I'll show you.”

Taeyeon led them to the far end and pressed the button on the panel to draw the curtains. Paul let out a whistle as the curtains parted to reveal the most expensive car they had in the show room—the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse.

Only 450 of these beauties will be produced. You're looking at one of the last few available on the market. This is the Bugatti Vey—”

The Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse. 1200 horsepower, 8-litre, 16-cylinder engine. This is the fastest production roadster in the world, according to Bugatti,” Tiffany interjected with a smirk.

Taeyeon wanted to kiss the smirk out of Tiffany but all she could do was nod and smile. “You have an extensive knowledge of cars, Miss Stephanie. Very impressive, if I may say so.”

She knows way too much about cars, if I may say so,” said Paul. “I don't even know which model it is other than the brand. It makes me look bad, Steph.”

Shut up, Paul. It's not her who knows too much. It's you who knows too little.

Tiffany smiled, tittered and smiled again. Who was this woman and why was she so different from the woman she'd met that night? Taeyeon wanted to pull her mask off. She wanted to strip her down to nothing, just like she'd done that night. She wanted to see her in her original form, with nothing to hide. That raw passion, unbridled desire, desperate hunger. That was the Tiffany she wanted to see. This other Tiffany disgusted her. This other Tiffany was no different from all the other women who came to this show room, clinging onto the arms of rich men who could buy their love. Then again, this wasn't Tiffany. This was Stephanie.

Tiffany, Stephanie...who are you?

-

Kwon Yuri!”

The tall girl crouched even lower than before, trying to hide herself from her irate mother. It was ridiculous, she thought. She was well above the age of twenty. Why was she still hiding from her mother? Why couldn't she get a job she liked? Why did she have to live like this?

Kwon. Yu. Ri. If you're hiding, you'd better come out now.”

Every muscle in her body tensed and she was glad for her furious exercise regime. It wasn't easy to maintain this twisted position for such a long time. Thirty seconds was a long time when one was being hunted. It was very long indeed. She still didn't dare to breathe when her mother slammed the door, choosing to keep still just in case her mother was faking it and sure enough, the door opened again.

Dinner is in the pot. Eat it while it's still warm. I'm going out with friends.”

Yuri bit her lip. Her mother knew she was hiding. But she hadn't tried to find her. It was that way since she was nine. Ever since she was diagnosed as a hyperactive child. She could never stay still for long and it was hell trying to get her to concentrate on something for an extended period of time. She supposed her mother felt guilty about it but it really wasn't her mother's fault.

The door closed and Yuri knew she was safe this time. She was safe because her mother knew she wouldn't go hungry tonight. This was her relationship with her mother. Strange, yet she wouldn't have it any other way. Her back ached from the crouching and she straightened her back with a groan. It was a tiny space behind her bathroom door but it did its job. Her mother couldn't see her since she was crouched behind it and below the mirror. The only victims of the ordeal were her muscles. Her poor muscles.

She sneaked down to the kitchen and retrieved her dinner from the pot. It was still warm, as her mother had said. She couldn't help grinning as she wolfed down her dinner. Her mother was the best mother anyone could ever have and she loved her. But she wasn't going to give up on her job for her mother. She wasn't going to apply for one of the 'ideal' jobs that her mother had tried to get her to consider.

No way, Mom. Over my aching, crouching body. We'll see who crumbles first.

It would be her mother, she knew. Her mother loved her too much to be mad at her for too long. It was a matter of time. She just had to hold out long enough.

-

Hey Yuri.”

Hey Tony.”

Doing the late shift tonight?”

Yeah, why else would I be here.”

Just making conversation, Yuri. You don't have to be so snappy.”

Yuri laughed and clapped Tony's back and as she walked around him. “I'm only snappy when it's you.”

You have so much love for me. I'm overwhelmed.”

Enough of the crap. There's someone at the door.”

You get it. You're late today.”

Fine, meanie . Let the lady get the door, gentleman.” Yuri walked to the door and greeted the customer. Just another day at work for her.

-

She was closing up when somebody entered the workshop.

I'm sorry, we're closed. You can come again tomorrow.”

Oh please, I won't be able to get home if you don't help me.”

Yuri looked up at the sound of the voice. It wasn't a voice she'd expected to hear in person like this. It was a voice she'd grown accustomed to hearing over the internet, through earphones.

Sica?”

They call me Jess over there.”

Yuri shrieked in happiness and bounded to the slender figure in the dim shop. “You're back!”

Jessica's face looked a million times better in person than on the screen of her laptop and she wasted no time in crushing her lips onto Jessica's. Her kiss was returned with equal ardour and passion and she feasted on them, indulging herself in the exotic delicacy.

It was many minutes before they broke their kiss and Yuri was panting as though she'd just done a marathon. They spent the next few minutes staring endlessly into each other's eyes, smiling like idiots, hands exploring, touching, feeling, making sure the other wasn't a figment of their imagination. It wasn't their imagination. It was reality. Right in their faces. Yuri was too happy for words.

When did you get back?”

An hour ago.”

You just got off the plane?”

Yes.”

Where's your luggage and everything?”

Sent home from the airport.”

Yuri rolled her eyes. “Rich girl.”

You won't be singing to the same tune when you see the present I have for you.”

What is it?”

It's right outside.”

What? You left my present outside?”

Jessica merely grinned. “You're gonna love me even more when you see it.”

Yuri grinned and shook her head. “Nah. I don't think I can love you any more than I already do.”

Don't speak too soon, Yuri. You'll have to eat your words.”

I know what I'll be eating,” Yuri grinned, her eyes sparkling with mischief, “You.”

Oh, you will. I expect no less from you, babe.”

Oh...Yuri couldn't wait to see her present then. She couldn't wait to see what it was and feast on Jessica afterwards.

-