- 71 -

Losing to the Heat

Remember to smile, Taeyeon.

the smiling. Taeyeon was in no mood to smile for anyone. She didn’t smile when she got out of her car and she wasn’t smiling when president of the organizing committee presented her with the second place trophy. Confetti fell everywhere around her and the crowd cheered but she wasn’t smiling. A bottle of champagne was put into her hands and she shook it like Natsushima and Cara did but she wasn’t smiling as champagne sprayed everywhere.

She was somewhat jolted out of her unhappy daze when her face was drenched in cool champagne. Cara’s teasing grin was in her face and that was all the catalyst she needed. She attacked Cara with her champagne and chased the racer when she ran away. Then, in a sudden move, Cara turned around and threw long arms around her, hugging her tight.

“I’m happy you’re up here with me,” said Cara.

But I’m not the winner. Taeyeon pouted at the thought. I didn’t do good enough.

“Come to the after party tonight.” Taeyeon shook her head. No. She didn’t deserve an after party. “Come. Bring your girlfriend along.”

The mention of her girlfriend had her eyes up and looking. Where’s Tiffany? Ah, there she is. But why does she look so pissed off?

The interviews were annoying as usual.

“Congratulations on your successful debut on the professional racing scene!”

Taeyeon simply stared at the reporter. “It’s not a successful debut.”

“Why is it not? You’ve done incredibly well for a first race.”

. I can’t say this isn’t my first race. “It’s not successful if I don’t treat it right.”

“I’m intrigued. What do you mean by treating it right?”

“I wasn’t in my best mental state. It’s hot as—heck here and I was melting in my suit. My mind wasn’t completely in it. I wasn’t feeling it.”

“If this isn’t your best and you’re in second place, does that mean we can expect you to be the champion when you’re on your best form?”

“It’s not about the position. It’s about being in the zone. I wasn’t in it. That wasn’t my best. I’m not happy about that.”

“Ms Kim Taeyeon, you’re one of the most candid racers I’ve interviewed in a while. Thank you for your time. I hope I’ll get a chance to interview you again soon.”

“Sure.”

Hayeon and Yoona made her smile with their exuberant cheers and hugs and kisses. Uncle Im and her mother gave their solemn congratulations. Other racers came forth to congratulate her too. But she was still unhappy. Where was Tiffany? Tiffany would understand.

She made her way to the lockers to get out of her racing suit as soon as she could. Win or not, the weather was still trying to emulate an oven and she felt exactly like baked pork. The first thing—or person, rather—that she saw as she stepped into the changing room was Tiffany, seated on a bench. Dense, dark chocolaty eyebrows knitted in a frown, unblinking eyes and pressed lips greeted her. Tiffany looked as pissed as she did during the prize ceremony but the sight of flawless bare skin distracted Taeyeon from the perils of stepping closer to her.

Her eyes followed a bead of sweat as it made its way from Tiffany’s sweaty neck into cleavage that was presented enticingly in a sports bra. And just below that was an expanse of equally sweaty skin, stretching over what she knew to be…just the thought of it made her groan. Holy . Taeyeon was all but ready to pull the ped racing suit off Tiffany’s beautiful body and dive into pleasures of the flesh. There was just one problem. Tiffany didn’t look like she would welcome her in that way. In fact, Tiffany didn’t look welcoming at all.

“Tiff.” Taeyeon stood a step away from her girlfriend, wary and cautious. “Who pissed you off?”

The flames in Tiffany’s eyes danced higher and Taeyeon could almost feel them singeing her. “You.”

“Me? What did I do.”

“You looked pissed as hell on the podium when the president gave you the trophy. Then you played lovers’ tag with Cara in front of everyone right after that. What the , Tae.”

“I was angry. I didn’t want to smile,” said Taeyeon, deliberately avoiding the topic of Cara.

“I know. I heard your interview. But that’s gonna hurt you. There’s gonna be backlash. People are gonna think you’re cocky. They’re gonna think you’re arrogant.”

“I don’t care what they think. Whoever they are.”

“You’re racing for Ssamyoong now. You can’t act like that.”

Tiffany’s flames her dormant wick, setting her on fire too. “I’ll act however I want. everybody else.”

“That’s ing mature, Tae.”

“Yes. Yes I’m ing mature. I’m an adult. And if I don’t wanna give two hoots about what other people think then I won’t.”

“Even if it’s me?”

Angry, ugly words crammed into but she was unable to throw them out. Not at Tiffany. . Not after promising to tell Tiffany how she felt about her every day for the rest of her life. It was a promise and Tiffany came back to her after that. “ this . I’m gonna take this ing oven off and take a ing shower.”

“Taeyeon.” Without turning, Taeyeon continued towards the showers. “Kim. Tae. Yeon.”

“What more do you want. Just let me take a ing shower.”

“You idiot. Turn around.”

Taeyeon didn’t want to but firm hands grasped her shoulders and did the job for her. Tiffany’s smoking hot eyes burned into hers and before she could protest any further, soft, moist lips claimed hers and rendered them useless for any activity other than kissing.

Now, this…she could…handle…

“I want to spend time with my champion. But we’re not gonna do it here again,” said Tiffany, as they pulled their lips apart. Taeyeon simply nodded, breathing hard. She wasn’t in the right state of mind to think anyway. Her body was melting in the suit, and her mind, in the arms of Tiffany. “Take your ing shower and cool down. Then wait for me in your room. I’ll call you.”

“Are we gonna have phone ? It’s not safe you know. Yoona might come into my roo—”

“We’re not gonna have phone . We’re going for a drive.”

“Drive? But—”

“I have a car.”

“How—”

“Shut up and shower already.”

“Yes, m’am!”

Freshly showered, smelling good and dressed in loose, easy-to-pull-off clothes, Taeyeon waited for Tiffany’s call. Her phone came to life with a buzz and she grabbed it with one hand, picking up the room card with the other. Tiffany’s name was flashing on the screen but she was at the car by the fifth ring. Slipping into the car with a grin, she leaned across, asking for a kiss. Tiffany kissed her and she sat back, happy and contented.

“Where are we going?”

“Around.”

“Here?”

“I know some places nearby. We can drive there for a drink and be back in time to prepare for the after party.”

“I don’t want to go to the after party.”

“It’s better if you go.”

“Don’t tell me it’s for Ssamyoong again.”

“Yes, it is. And don’t roll your eyes at me. Do it for your Uncle Im. Smile and make friends and change their perception of you. You won’t be helping Ssamyoong if you don’t.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll go. I’ll smile.”

Tiffany smiled and kissed her again. “Good.”

A short drive brought them to a street lined with restaurants and cafes. Uncle Im had brought them here too.

“I want ice cream,” said Taeyeon. A sudden craving had come from nowhere and hit her hard. “Over there.” She pointed at a shop to their right, painted beautifully in white, just like vanilla. “Ice cream.”

Tiffany pulled into a parking lot and they headed into the ice cream shop after locking up the car.

“Table for two?” the waiter asked with a smile and Taeyeon nodded in reply. They were led to a smaller-than-usual round table that had legs that curled out from the center. The stools were white like the tables. Everything was white, in fact, and for a moment, it was as though they were in an igloo with furniture covered in snow. They looked through the menu and selected their ice creams. Then, they turned to each other, pleasure b over.

“Mmm…I like this.”

Tiffany smiled. “Me too.”

“Just the two of us.”

“You and me.”

“And the waiter.”

Tiffany giggled as the waiter approached their table, carrying a tray of ice creams. They received their ice creams with thanks and resumed their staring competition, both women ignoring their ice creams completely.

“I know I’m attractive but don’t you want to eat your ice cream?” Taeyeon teased with a grin.

“I’ll eat mine after you eat yours.” Tiffany’s eyes gleamed with less-than honourable light. “Or do you want to eat mine while I eat yours?”

Taeyeon had a feeling Tiffany wasn’t talking about ice creams anymore. “I’m afraid you’ll end up screaming if I eat yours. Better stick to our own.”

“Good call.”

They dipped their heads to eat their ice cream, and Taeyeon caught sight of Tiffany’s twitching lips. “Mmm…I think you got some…” she reached across the table with her fingers and rubbed her thumb over Tiffany’s lower lip, “…here.” There was nothing of course, and Tiffany knew it as evidenced by the knowing curl of her lips.

“You got some too.” Tiffany did the same thing to her and she grinned. Both of them ended up giggling before finally starting on their ice creams. “So, tell me, will you quit pro racing after this?”

Taeyeon looked up at her and stared. “Why would I?”

“You hate the fan signing, the interviews, the media, the meetings. You practically hate everything about pro racing other than the part that actually involves racing.”

“But I have hot competition like Cara. I’m looking forward to racing her at the next race.”

Tiffany narrowed her eyes into slits and glared. The look reminded Taeyeon of a snake she once saw on TV. It was a vicious, lethal snake that was set to kill. “Do you want to end up sleeping on my couch for a week?”

“I don’t think you can last that long without me blowing you soft kisses as you fall asleep.”

“I was gonna honour our little bet even though you didn’t win but at this rate, I think—”

“I’m sorry. I truly am.” Taeyeon put on a pout and her best set of puppy eyes, making Tiffany burst into laughter.

“But seriously though, are you planning to quit?”

“No.”

“Really?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “I want to win. I want to beat Natsushima in the next race we meet in.”

“She’s like you. She raced on the streets in Japan before her company picked her up and got her racing pro.”

“How do you know this?”

“Paul.”

“He sure knows a lot.”

“He does. He may have started out with very little knowledge about racing but he makes it a point to be the best at what he does.”

“You miss him.”

“I do. I hate the new boss.”

“You can help Paul to come back.”

Tiffany shook her head. “Paul is happier now. He said so himself. Besides, I’m sure he’ll be able to get back if he really wants to. This cousin of his is making a mess of the company. His grandfather will be blowing his top soon enough.”

“He should have stuck with Paul.”

Tiffany shrugged. “Some people have to learn things the hard way.”

Taeyeon grinned. “Like me?”

Tiffany smiled. “Like you.”

They grinned at each other and proceeded to eat a few spoonfuls of ice cream, feeding each other, sharing the ice creams.

“Are you okay with fourth?” Taeyeon asked, in between two mouthfuls of dark chocolate ice cream.

“Would I be okay with fourth?” Tiffany countered.

“Of course not. But I meant like emotionally. Are you disappointed?”

Tiffany sighed. “Yes. I wanted to be up there with you.”

“You can. Your timing is pretty close to Cara’s.”

“A split second is miles apart. You know that.”

“Next time. You’ll make it up there. You got to fourth so little training. Imagine how much better you’ll be after getting a full dose of training.”

“I know. I’ve told myself all these things. But it still . And ing Vincent isn’t happy with my placing.”

“ Vincent.” Taeyeon paused. “No. Don’t him.”

Tiffany laughed. “Don’t worry. I won’t.”

“What about me?”

Tiffany’s laughter bolstered. “Do you even have to ask?”

Taeyeon shrugged. “I know the answer but I enjoy hearing it.”

A gleam of dirty desire flashed in Tiffany’s eyes as she leaned closer over the table. “I’ll arrange a very private, very y and very dirty ing session at my place once we get back.” She sat back with a smug expression. “Did you enjoy hearing that?”

“I want us to get back to your place right now. Book our plane tickets. Now,” Taeyeon deadpanned.

“After, the after party.”

Taeyeon could only groan.