- 17 -

Losing to the Heat

Private and confidential

Plain and bold. Sitting atop the stack of mail that had accumulated in the couple of days that she spent lying in bed. Ordinarily, she would've open the envelope without much thought and read the letter within. But not this time. This particular letter made her palms clammy and she couldn't bring herself to open it. She couldn't.

Yuri,” she called and out came her girlfriend from the kitchen, looking flushed.

What's up?”

This.” She held up the envelope with shaky hands and Yuri came to her side to look. There was a little gasp and two hands gripped her arm tight.

Oh boy.”

Will you open it for me?”

Oh my God.”

She pushed the envelope to Yuri. “Please.”

Okay.” Yuri took a deep breath and tore the envelope. The letter was extracted from it, then unfolded. She starred at the back of the letter and tried to breathe normally as Yuri began to read.

What does it say?” The letter crumpled in Yuri's hands as they slumped onto the table and Yuri's big, round eyes did nothing to calm her. “She's my sister, right? She's got to be my sister.”

Sica...” Yuri trailed off and said no more, simply opening and closing like a goldfish's.

The anticipation was far too great and she couldn't stand it anymore. “Let me see.” She grabbed the letter and scanned through the words and jargon. There, right at the bottom was the magical number. 99. Their DNA matched. A solid 99%. She looked up from the letter and into Yuri's eyes that looked as dazed as she felt. This was surreal. Like a dream that felt real. Like that passing moment just before she woke from a vivid dream.

It was one thing to be sure that Crystal was in fact, Krystal, her sister. It was another to have scientific proof, rendering the fact indisputable. It was official. She'd finally found her sister. Her long-time dream had been fulfilled. It was supposed to be the happiest moment of her life.

So why was there a burning pressure in her chest? Why did it feel as though her world was about to implode?

Yuri.” She didn't have to say more. Yuri was hugging her even before she got her name out and she buried her face in the soft cotton that was Yuri's shirt.

It took some time and many comforting pats from Yuri before she found her footing again. And as soon as her world regained its equilibrium, her spirits lifted and she wanted nothing more than to see Krystal.

We have to tell her. Now.”

Call her.”

No,” she said, shaking her head. “I have to tell her face to face.”

But you don't know where she lives.”

Yes, I do.” She held up the sheaf of papers. “She gave it to me for this.”

But I'm not sure if she will be happy with a surprise visit.”

Yuri, this isn't the kind of news I can tell her over the phone. And I'm sure she wants to hear it from me. Directly.”

Okay. If you say so.”

-

Jessica hurried to the driver's side of the car but froze with her hand on the handle.

Yuri, can you drive?”

Yuri's surprise was written all over her face. “Really? You want me to drive?”

I have too many things on my mind to drive.”

Okay, I'll drive.”

-

Sitting up front was proving to be too much for her to bear. Her chest might as well have been wrapped in iron chains, it was so tight.

Sica, are you okay?”

She forced her eyes open to smile at Yuri. “I'm okay.”

But you were making funny sounds.”

Was I?”

Uh huh.”

I was just thinking.”

Of?”

She closed her eyes and shook her head. Yuri's questions were getting to her again. Fortunately, Yuri seemed to sense her mood and stopped asking.

-

She couldn't get out of the car soon enough and the weight pressing on her chest lifted the moment she did. The building before them distracted her from further thoughts of her condition however. It was a four-storey apartment building that was in desperate need of a new coat of paint. Time had taken its toll on the exterior and the once clean cream-coloured walls were marred by murky stains from rain and other elements of time and weather.

This place looks old.”

It sure does.”

Why is she staying in a place like that?”

Yuri shrugged. “It's close to school?”

Yuri.”

Just a guess...”

I wonder if she's home.”

We'll find out soon.”

-

You wanted to see me?” she asked after the customary knock on the door.

Paul looked up from the documents on his desk and nodded her in. “Come in.”

What is it about?”

It's the new car launch that's coming up. I want to touch base with our potential clients before the launch.”

Which clients?”

Our new friends over at SM.”

SM?” She paused to think. “Speed Machine?”

Yes. Speed Machine. I want to establish stronger relations with them so I'm inviting them to a tour of our circuit.” Paul opened a drawer and took three silver envelopes out. “I want you to hand these invitations to them personally.”

Sure.” She took the envelopes and looked at the names printed on each of them. Lee Sooman. Lee Soonkyu. Kim Taeyeon. Her heart skipped a beat. This was perfect. She would have a good reason to see Taeyeon now.

-

Her heels clicked against the shiny marble as she strutted down the hall. Cars on pedestals around her shone and gleamed under the bright lights—the result of an immaculate polish job. She was approached by a car promoter within the minute but she wasn't here for a car this time.

Is Miss Kim Taeyeon around today?” she asked, getting her question in before the promoter could.

Kim Taeyeon? She's in the office.”

I need to speak to her. Can you tell her that Tiffany is here to see her?”

I'll pass the message. Meanwhile, you may take a seat.”

Tiffany allowed the promoter to guide her to a chair and sat with a smile. “Thank you.”

Just a moment, Miss Tiffany.”

She kept her smile up until the promoter walked away. Then, her thoughts began to fly wild. Will Taeyeon agree to see me? What if she refuses to? And what am I going to do if Taeyeon says no to my challenge?

The sound of confident footsteps interrupted her, leaving no time to come up with answers. Then Taeyeon's distinct voice entered her system like smooth, dark chocolate. “Buying another car?”

Not today.”

Why are you here then.”

Please, take a seat.”

Taeyeon hesitated but pulled out a chair after a moment. “What is this about.”

Taking out the invitation from her purse, she slid it across the round table to Taeyeon. “I'm here to invite you to tour our circuit.”

What did I do to deserve such a grand gesture from the lead racer of Hyundae?”

Taeyeon's sarcasm was maddening and she wished she could give her a good shake but all she did was smile. “I was sent by my boss to present the invites to show our sincerity. But I asked to see you first because I have something else to say to you.”

What else is there to say?”

I want a race with you. Just you and I.”

Just us?”

Tiffany nodded. “A private race. With nobody else.”

And what's the prize for winning.”

If you win, I won't ask to be your girlfriend again. And I'll be the good that you want. My body will be your prize.”

Her eyes followed the tensing of muscles all along Taeyeon's jaw and throat. The swallowing of saliva sparkied an alluring trail of movement down her neck and she knew that she had Taeyeon’s attention now.

And what if you win?”

If I win, you'll come clean with me.”

What the do you mean.”

I mean you'll come clean with every ing thing about yourself that you're hiding inside. I don't care if you're too proud or scared to tell me. I'm going to ask questions and you're going to answer. I want answers.”

You're crazy. I'm not hiding anything.”

She leaned forward, staring straight into Taeyeon's eyes and the woman pulled back. She smirked, having predicted Taeyeon's reaction and said, “I know you have things to hide. Do you really think I can't see it in your eyes? I'm not stupid you know. I know you.”

You don't know me.”

Tiffany shrugged. “I may not know you now, but I'll know you if I win. But everything is just talk unless you agree to race. Are you up to it? Or are you too afraid.”

Taeyeon's lips thinned and crept up sideways. “Won't you get into trouble if you race again?”

Thanks for caring about me but you won't have to worry about that. This is between the two of us. No one else will know.” She leaned forward and shot her sharpest look at Taeyeon. “So. Is it a yes or are you going to be a coward and say no.”

She could almost see the adrenalin surging through Taeyeon as she threw down the gauntlet. No doubt, this was one woman who never backed down from a challenge.

Yes. I'll race you. Just tell me when and where.”

We'll race after your car is fixed. You can decide on the place. You know this city better.”

Taeyeon smacked her hand on the invitation card and decision flashed in her eyes. “You're on.”

Great.” Tiffany allowed herself a little smile. “Now, if you can lead me to Sunny and Mr Lee. I'd like to give them their invites.”

Taeyeon stood and pushed her chair back in. “Come with me.”

-

What are you doing here.”

Jessica turned to the voice, her finger poised to press the doorbell. “Krystal. I was just about to ring.” She dropped her hand and held up the envelope containing the DNA results. “I brought this.”

What is,” Crystal's head nodded at it, “this.”

The results. From the DNA test.”

Oh.”

Can we go in?”

Crystal didn't answer right away. She looked at the door and bit her lip before finally nodding. Jessica stepped aside and Crystal moved to open the door. It was only a moment but it felt so long as she waited for the door to open. What would Krystal's home be like?

The key turned the lock but before the door opened, Crystal stilled. “Give me five minutes,” she said and before Jessica could ask why, she had opened the door a crack and slipped in. “Wait here,” she added before closing the door and Jessica turned back to look at Yuri. The taller girl shrugged.

Maybe she has something to hide.”

Like?”

I don't know...what would a girl have to hide? Sleazy magazines? girls?”

Yuri!”

Yuri laughed, not at all worried by the frown that Jessica was wearing. “Your sister could be a pimp and is trying to hide all the girls in her closet.”

Sometimes I don't know who you are.”

I am Kwon Yuri.”

Jessica had to smile at that. “Yes you are.”

You know that I'll be with you all the way, right?”

I know.” She gave Yuri a hug, feeling the warmth of her passionate girlfriend. “Thank you.”

Your sister will come back to you. Don't worry.”

Words failed her in that moment. There were too many thoughts in her mind to express them with eloquence.

-

They were still in a hug when the door opened again.

You can come in now.”

Jessica dropped her arms and turned to take her first look into Crystal's home. One word came to mind—small. Actually, small was an understatement. The size of the apartment was no bigger than her bedroom, albeit her house was a luxurious one and had an exceptionally huge bedroom.

A two-seater couch with no frills took up a corner of the one-room unit. A stove, sink and some cabinets occupied the other side. The bedroom was out of sight, past a short corridor that was really just the space in front of the bathroom. There was no dining space, no extra room for anything but the bare essentials. The place was so cramped that she wasn't sure if a claustrophobic would be able to live in it.

Crystal pulled a chair up to the couch and gestured for them to take the couch. “So. The results.”

Jessica handed the sheaf of papers over without a word. Yuri's hand was a place of comfort and she kept her breathing even as Crystal read the letter. Finally, Crystal's head lifted and their eyes met.

Emotions she never knew existed burst through invisible barriers and flooded her heart. This was beyond butterflies fluttering around in her stomach. It was more like going down the steepest roller coaster in the world. Straight down towards the ground at almost 90 degrees to the point where her heart was in .

You're my sister.”

Those weren't the words she wanted to hear most but she was grateful that Crystal seemed to accept the fact without too much resistance. And a squeeze from a warm hand helped her to find the courage to speak.

Yes. We're sisters.”

Feet shuffled on the bare floor. Fingers twisted each other. Jessica noticed everything Crystal was doing and wondered why the straightforward girl she'd come to expect wasn't showing. This wasn't the confident, audacious Crystal who never hesitated to say whatever she wanted to. Reticence was Crystal.

Krystal, I hope we can get to know each other better and—”

But we're strangers,” Crystal butted in. “This is so weird. You're my sister but I don't remember you. I have no feelings for you.”

That's okay. It's not your fault.” She wanted very much to give Crystal a hug but a part of her knew that it wasn't the best idea for now. Crystal wasn't ready for it. The memories of them as sisters didn't exist for Crystal, unlike her. She had to be patient. She had to give Crystal more time. “I'm not saying we have to be close right now. Just...try. We could try talking more, or going out. You know, like doing some stuff together.”

The eyes of a lost child. Stripped of doubt and distrust, and with no wall to hide behind, Jessica saw right through Crystal to the confused young woman that she really was. Gone were the smarting remarks and snide comments. Gone were the piercing eyes that seemed to be out for blood. All that was left right now were soft eyes, hesitant and unsure.

I don't know. I've always thought I was crazy. Dreaming the same dream over and over again. Dreaming weird things. And all this time I’ve always wished I had an older sister whenever things got rough. I've always wanted an older sister...”

Word after word fell from trembling lips and Jessica could bear no more. Tugging her hand from Yuri's, she stood and wrapped herself around Crystal, cradling her head with chest and arms.

Krystal, I'm your sister. You have an older sister,” she murmured as she Crystal's hair, finding it to be smooth under her fingers. “Let me help you.”

How? How are you going to help me?”

It was a moment of startling clarity as the reason for Crystal's dreams dawned on her. Of course.
Doctor Seo had mentioned it too.

I'm going to bring you to a doctor.”

Crystal pulled free from her grasp and stared. “What? Why?”

To stop the dreams.”

I saw a few doctors when I was a kid but none of them could stop my dreams.”

This doctor is different. This doctor will be able to help you. And you don't have to be nervous or anything. You're not the only one who needs a doctor. I need to see a doctor too.”

You? Why? You have weird dreams too?”

Jessica shook her head. “It's not that.” Memories of her recent crash came flooding back and it was suddenly hard to speak. “I...I haven't felt the same after the crash.” Now, it was her turn to twist her fingers as she fought against her reluctance to bring her problem out into the open. “I think I may have been traumatized. I can't get into a car without remembering everything. And I haven't been able to drive since the accident.”

Why didn't you tell me?”

Jessica turned to Yuri who looked as though the world had just turned upside down on her and felt sorry at once. “I'm sorry. I wasn't sure if it's trauma and I didn't want to worry you for nothing.”

You should've told me.”

I'm really sorry. I know I should've told you. I just didn't want to talk about it yet.” Turning back to Crystal, she took her hand and held it with firm hands. “The crash reminded me of how horrible it is to have something haunting you. It's time to get rid of those dreams, whatever they are.” She looked deep into Crystal's eyes and willed her to come around. “Come with me. This can be our first 'sister' thing.”

Crystal stared straight back at her, those beautiful brown eyes regaining some of their intensity, and she waited. Say yes, Krystal. Please say yes.

Okay.”

That single word was enough to get her heart pumping at double speed. “Okay? You'll come with me?”

Yes.” Crystal nodded. “I'll go with you.”

She couldn't stop herself from throwing her arms around her sister again, her world brightening in that moment. Things with her sister would get better, she was sure. Everything was going to be okay.

-