- 56 -

Losing to the Heat

The workshop was one of the biggest in the city and the sheer number of parts lying around made Yuri’s heart very happy. Work wasn’t work when she loved it but why couldn’t her mother let it rest?

“How are you going to find anyone to marry if you’re working at that oil dump everyday?”

“It’s not an oil dump! Carnical is very clean. It’s the cleanest workshop you can find in the country.”

“I can smell oil and grease on you every single time you come home. I’m your mother so I still love you but who wants to marry someone who stinks all the time?”

I have a lover who loves me and doesn’t care about the stink. You just don’t know.“I don’t have a problem with that.”

“Oh? Are you dating someone?”

Moments like these came ever so often yet Yuri never could handle them well, despite the practice she got. Each time the topic popped up, she would either dodge it or leave it. But she was sick of it. And although Jessica had never asked her to tell, Yuri didn’t feel good about keeping it from her mother. It didn’t seem right somehow. It was as though she was ashamed of Jessica when she clearly wasn’t.

“Yes.”

Her mother paused, seemingly surprised. “Really?”

Yuri nodded. She wasn’t sure about this now. Would her mother be able to accept the truth?

“But you spend all your time with Jessica.”

It was Yuri’s turn to pause and her mother’s eyebrows jumped. Words were suddenly the hardest things to find. Eyes narrowed and Yuri knew the secret was out.

“Mom—”

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“You’re not going to scream at me?”

Her mother’s shoulders heaved as she shook her head. And for a while, neither of them said anything. Then, she looked up again. “Not ideal.” She sighed. “I had suspected before. But I was really hoping I was wrong.”

“You’re not angry?”

The chair behind her mother became a source of relief as the older woman sank onto it. A squeeze overcame her heart and Yuri stepped forward to hug her mother.

“Yuri, Jessica helped you and makes you so happy. I can’t be angry with her.” A hard smack on her arm had Yuri hopping in pain. “But I’m angry with you for keeping it from me.”

“I didn’t dare to tell you.”

“Silly girl. Did you really think your mother wouldn’t figure it out?”

“You said you only guessed it. That’s not the same.”

“I was hoping you’d bring a boy home one day. I wanted to hope a little longer.”

“Mommy…”

Her mother patted her back and kissed her cheek. “You’re my daughter so I love you. I’ll love you even if you don’t turn out as I imagined.”

“I love you, Mom.”

Another pat on her back. “Bring her home. We’ll have dinner together.”

Unexpected tears welled up in her eyes as she nodded. “I’ll ask her.”

Tiffany braced herself before entering Paul’s office. He would have talked to his grandfather by this time and an ominous feeling was creeping up on her slowly but surely. One look at Paul’s posture said it all. The man was slouching, shoulders hunched, head low in his luxurious leather chair. It looked bad.

“Paul.” Tiffany sat opposite him, leaning forward on her elbows.

“I’m out.”

Paul isn’t beating about the bush this time. But what can I say? “With immediate effect?”

Paul nodded. “He’s putting my cousin in charge. The announcement will be made after The Roulette.”

Tiffany bit her lip. Reaching across the desk to cover his hand with hers, she said, “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s not your fault my granddad is such an .” Paul looked up and Tiffany saw a spark of anger in his eyes. “I’m done trying to play his game. If he didn’t kick me out, I would’ve quit too. I’m not working for him. Not ever again.”

“Does Wonhyun know yet?”

With a heavy sigh, Paul nodded. “I told him, first thing. He wasn’t surprised but I can tell he’s very disappointed.”

“But he’s sticking with you,” Tiffany smiled, “and so am I. You’ve still got us. Taeyeon knows about it too. We’ll help you out.”

“Don’t worry about me. I don’t need his support. I have friends and a plan.” Paul’s hollow chuckle was heartbreaking. “I suppose, I had always known that such a day would come so I’m actually well prepared. I have my backup plans and they’ve already been put into motion.”

“What kind of backup plans do you have?”

Paul looked at her, eyes still sad but a tad strong than before. “I’ll go back to LA. Wonhyun will come with me. We’ll settle down together. And I have enough money invested in a few companies in LA so I’m free to start up a company or buy into one. No problem. Would’ve have been nicer if my family were with me on it but,” Paul shrugged, “not all our wishes will come true. I’ll be happy enough with Wonhyun.” He grinned suddenly. “By the way, the Bugatti and apartment are yours. I made the transfer before the old man kicked me out. He can’t take them away from you.”

“Paul, I don’t care about all those things, you know that.”

“I know. But you helped me a lot. It’s how rich guys like me say thanks.”

Paul’s grin comforted her. It was better to see him grinning than frowning so she grinned as well and stood up. “Well, poor girls like me say thanks the normal way.” She walked around the desk to him and hugged him as tightly as she could. “Thanks, Paul.”

“You take the championship for yourself, okay? I can’t guarantee your position in Hyundae anymore but other companies will be clamouring for you after you win the title.”

“Don’t you worry about me. I’m too good so I’m not worried. Besides, I’ve received offers from another company already.”

“Ssamyoong? Or Samjung?”

Tiffany grinned. “I can’t tell you yet.”

“Your dad might not be happy about it though.”

Tiffany broke the hug and sighed. “I know. That’s what worries me.”

“I’ll try talking to him.”

Tiffany smiled and nodded. “Thanks.”

“What’s up with you tonight?”

Tiffany looked up from her ramyeon. “What do you mean?”

“You’re quiet.”

“Am I?”

“Something happen today?”

“Paul told me he’s out today.”

“Out?”

“Out of Hyundae.”

“Oh .” Taeyeon leaned sideways and kissed Tiffany’s cheek. “I’m sorry.”

“Your lips are oily.” Tiffany’s voice sounded weird. Like she was choking or something. Taeyeon put her chopsticks across her pot and her arms around Tiffany but she didn’t know what to say. Nothing she said could change reality.

“His cousin is coming in to take over.”

“Is his cousin gay too?”

Tiffany turned to her; their faces stilling within an inch of each other. “Not funny, Taeyeon.”

“I’m not joking around. If his cousin is gay too, Paul’s granddad would have no other options.”

“I’m sure he has more than one cousin.”

“Are we talking male cousins or female cousins.”

Tiffany stared. “What difference would that make?”

Taeyeon scoffed. “A man like his granddad wouldn’t entrust his company with girls. So if he doesn’t have any other male cousins, his granddad has no other choice.”

“How would you know his granddad wouldn’t let it go to his granddaughters?”

“He’s the traditional type.”

“That’s a lot to assume about someone you don’t know.”

“I don’t need to know someone to know someone.”

“Oh really? Is that what you did with me at the beginning too? Is that why you gave me such a hard time?”

“I was talking about Paul’s granddad, not you. Why are you turning on me? I’m not the bad guy here.”

“I’m sick and tired of jackasses who assume they know everything about someone just because of one or two things they see. Paul’s granddad. Shutting Paul out just because he isn’t his idea of good. And you. Shutting me out at the beginning just because you thought I was some money-grabbing . You’re all the same.”

Taeyeon shoved her hard. “ you.”

Tiffany didn’t say anything in response, simply turning back to her ramyeon and for a while, they eat in silence. Her thoughts and emotions ran in several directions, getting entangled into an ever enlarging ball of a mess but she kept quiet and chewed. They emptied their pots and Tiffany stood up first. She headed to the kitchen and Taeyeon heard the water running as the woman washed her pot. Meanwhile, Taeyeon remained where she was, her back aganist the couch, on the floor. Deep inside, she knew that Tiffany was right about it. She had assumed the worst of Tiffany as soon as she saw her in the car showroom. She had assumed so much. But was she sorry for behaving that way?

Not really. I am the way I am. Besides, circumstances really didn’t favour Tiffany back then. It was also her fault for pretending to be involved with Paul and refusing to explain it. Tiffany was going to have to be the one to apologize first this time.

“Hello, Aunty Kwon.”

“Jessica, it’s nice to see you again.”

“You look younger than ever, Aunty. It makes me afraid to visit you; people might mistake you for my sister.”

Mrs Kwon laughed and patted Jessica’s hand. “You’re over the top with your flattery but aunties like us fall for it every time.”

“I’m not saying it just because you’re Yuri’s mom.”

Mrs Kwon smiled again and Jessica knew she had succeeded in softening any corners that Yuri’s mother might have had. Maybe.

She had been shocked into panic mode when Yuri told her that Mrs Kwon knew about them. Neither Yuri nor herself had ever thought that Mrs Kwon would ever accept their relationship.; Yuri had said more than once, that her mother was very strict about the ‘norms': Get a good job, date a good boy, marry a good man, raise a good child. And as happy as they were together, they knew that Yuri’s mother would never have the good son-in-law she wished for. Neither was she going to have the good grandchild.

It was the one thing that Jessica couldn’t give Yuri’s mother and there were times, in the coldest, darkest nights when she was away from Yuri, when she wondered if she was doing the right thing by sinking her claws into Yuri and holding her tight. But those doubts would always dissolve into nothing whenever Yuri appeared on her screen with her winsome smile or cheeky grin. She could never leave Yuri; she wasn’t strong enough to.

And now, here she was, facing the mother of the woman she loved and wanted to spend all her time with. Deep inside, gigantic, scary moths were flying all around her stomach and she was amazing herself with the way she acted around Mrs Kwon right now.

“Mom, don’t be hard on Sica, okay?”

Mrs Kwon pouted. “Jessica is on my side, right?”

Jessica nodded at once, a lot more vigorous than was necessary as well. “I’m on Aunty’s side. Always.”

“Mom!”

“It’s okay, Yuri. Aunty likes me,” Jessica turned to Mrs Kwon and grinned, “right?”

“Jessica, come and sit down with me. Yuri, make us some tea.” Jessica shot a worried look at Yuri as she followed Mrs Kwon to the couch and Yuri calmed her by giving her the thumbs up sign. Yes, it’ll be alright. Breathe, Sica, breathe.

“How long have you two been together?”

“We began to date before Yuri got her license, Aunty.”

“That many years?” Mrs Kwon’s eyes were wide open in surprise. “I thought it was before you came back to Korea.”

“We dated without committing to each other at first. But we weren’t dating anybody else and we found that we didn’t want anybody else…” Jessica looked away from Mrs Kwon’s intent eyes, feeling embarrassed about sharing the feelings she had for Yuri with Yuri’s mother herself, “and that’s when we decided to make the commitment. It continued while I was in the US. We Skyped and Facetimed and yeah, we made sure to keep frequent contact to keep it going until I came back.”

Mrs Kwon took Jessica’s hand and patted it. “You know that I’m grateful to you for helping Yuri. She changed a lot after meeting you. Up to this day, I can tell that Yuri is so very proud of her driving license and I’m ashamed to admit that I wasn’t the one who helped her to get it—”

“Aunty, you can’t say that. You did help her. You’ve always tried to help her. You’re the one who raised Yuri up. She’s a beautiful, tall, fit, perfect woman because of you. The license is just the little that I can do for her after all the work you’ve done.”

“Jessica…I’ll be honest with you. I’ve always wished for Yuri to find a good man she can trust and rely on. But I don’t think I can complain about you. I know you’ve always been very good to Yuri and you’ve given her a lot.” Mrs Kwon paused. “Maybe…maybe even more than any man ever could. So I will be thankful that Yuri found someone who loves her so much.”

“Aunty…” Jessica’s eyes watered and she hugged Mrs Kwon as her emotions burst the dam that was her heart and overflowed.

“Take care of her forever. I won’t be around one day so Yuri will be in your hands.”

“You can trust me, Aunty. I’ll love Yuri forever.”

Mrs Kwon pulled out of the hug and wiped her tears. “I trust you.”

“MOM!” Yuri ran towards them from the kitchen and engulfed them in a bear hug. “I love you, Mom.”

Mrs Kwon opened her arms wide and welcomed both girls into her embrace. “Silly girls.”

Taeyeon picked at the table cloth in the restaurant. Her mother was the one who had asked to meet her yet here she was, waiting alone.

“Would you like to order a drink for now?” asked the waiter.

“Anything to loosen up a few nerves?”

The waiter smiled. “How about a Black Russian cocktail?”

“Sounds wicked. I’ll have one.”

“Coming right up, miss.”

Taeyeon propped her chin on her hands and closed her eyes. She hoped to keep the meeting short and get back to Tiffany’s before the woman was done with work. They hadn’t been talking since their ‘assumption’ quarrel and Tiffany had been silent and moody for the past couple of days and tonight was the night she planned to end the cold war—until her mother called her.

“Taeyeon.”

Her eyes sprang open. Her mother was sitting right in front of her, on the opposite side of the table. When did she get here? “You’re late.”

“I’m sorry. I was held up at work.”

“Excuses.”

“I was asked to help out with something right after I called you. It was last minute. I couldn’t help it.”

“Last minute. Just like this dinner.But I’m here on time, aren’t I.”

“Is this the right way to speak to your mother, Taeyeon?”

“You never cared before.” Taeyeon shrugged. “Anyway, what is this dinner for?”

“I’m going on a business trip and I’ll only get back just before Taewon announces our marriage so this is the last chance I have to see you before that.”

“Where are you going?”

“LA. I’m going with my company’s team to a car convention.”

“Uncle Im can’t be happy about that.”

Her mother smiled. “He understands. But you’re right, he did grumble about it.”

“Why are you going then. Isn’t the marriage more important. Or is it just another monetary deal to you.”

“Kim Taeyeon, stop it. I’m trying very hard to keep things civil between us. As my daughter, you should be helping me in this.”

“Being your daughter didn’t mean anything to you for so many years. Why should it matter now? Just because some rich man says so?”

“If you’re not going to even try to be nice, you’re going to make things very difficult for everyone. You said you would do it for Hayeon, right?”

“Hayeon isn’t here now.”

“So you think you can turn into a civil daughter whenever Hayeon or other people are around?”

“I will.”

“You make sure you do that then. Don’t slip up and say anything wrong when the press are around.”

Taeyeon scoffed. “The press. Of course. That’s all you care about. The press. Your rich man. Your new rich family.”

“They’re going to be your rich family too.”

“I didn’t ask for it. I never asked for anything. Don’t think you’re doing me a favour with this.”

“I invited you to dinner to try to make things a little better between us but I don’t think anything I do is going to work.” Her mother stood up and looked straight at her, rebuking her with a glare that only mothers could do and said, “I’m your mother. No matter how much you hate me, I’m still your mother. You can’t change that. Unfortunately.”