Chapter 6

No One Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I looked out the window from the passenger seat of Bum’s brand new Maseratti Granturismo as we drove in silence, passing through the busy streets of Seoul. I knew from the start that this ride was bound to be immensely awkward. Call me harsh, but there was nothing I could want at the moment more than to strangle So Mi. The girl just got her license two months ago and just like any other novice driver, she was hell-bent on hitting the road. She begged me to let her take my car for a spin since I had been constantly filming and it was just lying futile in the building’s parking lot. I wasn’t left with a choice because she did have a point and I was feeling exceptionally generous that day so I agreed, on the condition that she returns it without a single trace of a scratch. Unfortunately, she panicked while parking that instead of stepping moderately on the brakes, she slammed on the gas pedal way too hard as she reversed and ended up crashing the car’s rear on to the wall.

“So…” Bum broke the deafening silence as he made a U-turn, “I can’t believe So Mi’s driving already. I feel old. How time flies.”

Indeed. Time flies when you’re having fun. I wished I could say the same for me.

I let out a soft laugh. “If you feel old, then so do I since we’re the same age,” I replied, trying to inject a hint of humor.

He grinned. “That’s true. I remember how she used to be this hyperactive teenager. There was just no way to get her to stop talking,” he recalled, keeping his left hand on the steering wheel while using his right to adjust the air conditioner.

Chuckling, I commented, “Trust me, she hasn’t changed much. She may be 21 now, yet she still hasn’t grown out of her old ways.”

This earned a laugh from him. “I can just imagine.”

Flashback: 4 years ago (2010):

“God unni, he’s just sooo cute,” So Mi gushed about this new boy in her class as she sat on the back seat of Bum’s car. “I swear, he’s just too perfect for words.”

I rolled my eyes at my sister’s outrageous spazzing. We were on one of our ‘secret dates’ and since we would be parting ways in a few moments, Bum offered to pick up So Mi from school to prolong our moment together. “Psh. Isn’t it too early to judge? Does he have brains too? I bet not,” I teased from the passenger seat.

“I wouldn’t know. It was only his first day. He didn’t really talk that much, but I don’t think that will be a problem. He can be my eye candy, while I take care of all the talking,” she enthused.

I turned my attention to my boyfriend who scoffed all of a sudden while keeping his eyes on the road. “So you wouldn’t mind dating a total wallflower? I thought you were better than that, So Mi-yah. Besides, there’s just no way he can be cuter than me,” he sang his own praise and turned to me briefly, “Right, love?” he asked and threw me a suggestive wink before focusing back on his driving.

I sniggered and hit him lightly on his shoulder in response. He grabbed my left hand and held it in his right, intertwining our fingers in the process while he kept the other hand on the wheel.

“I hate to break it to you, oppa, but you and the rest of your F4 friends don’t hold a candle against him. Looks like you guys have found your match. He’s tough competition, I tell you,” So Mi boasted humorously.

I couldn’t help smiling while remaining silent as I watched my sister and boyfriend bicker.

“Oh believe me, that will be the day. And come to think of it, ‘cute’ doesn’t cut it for me. I belong to a much higher caliber than that,” he bragged.

So Mi giggled. “You wish!”

I finally in as I felt that it was time for the banter to come to a close. “Okay, that’s enough. You better show me a photo of this guy and I’ll give you my verdict if he’s indeed as cute as you make him out to be,” I told So Mi before turning to Bum. I let go of our clasped hands and poked his arm, “As for you mister, stop being too full of yourself.”

He smiled smugly. “What, you know it’s true. But I couldn’t care less if So Mi likes him better. As long as I remain as the only apple of your eye, it won’t matter.”

I laughed. This guy just wouldn’t give in.

“Ugh, that is so cheesy, oppa! Unni, could you tell your boyfriend to cut it out?” So Mi whined, while Bum and I poked fun at her comment.

After a few more teasing, Bum slowed down and stopped the car in front of the building where we lived.

“It that we’re here already. I’m not ready to part ways with you yet,” Bum complained as he pouted. “I think it will take a while before I get to see you again.”

I gave him a reassuring smile as I looked him in the eyes. “Don’t worry, we’ll talk every day. I’ll make sure of that.”

He grinned and held my face, “You better. I miss you already,” he uttered and brushed some stray hair away from my face, “Take care of yourself.”

“You too,” I uttered softly.

I was about to get out of the passenger seat when he caught my arm. “Not so fast, love. I won’t be seeing you in a long time so I better make sure that you’ll leave me with a lasting memory,” he said playfully with a hint of seriousness. I could already tell what he was hinting at, but before I could object, he leaned in and kissed me deeply, our lips locking passionately.

“Omo! Unni! Oppa! What do you think you’re doing?! I’m still here, you know!”

*End of Flashback

 

“So Eun-ah, is everything alright?” Bum asked, his forehead creased into a worried frown as he tried to figure out what was going on. “You seemed to have spaced out.”

I cleared my throat and recollected myself, brushing thoughts of the past away. “I’m fine,” I lied.

 I couldn’t ignore how he was driving uncharacteristically slow. I glanced at the speedometer and saw that he didn’t go past 60 kph. He normally drove at breakneck speed that could put any F1 racer to shame, to the point that nagging him to slow down was necessary. Just when I needed him to speed like Top Gear’s ‘The Stig’, he drove like a blindfolded ahjumma.

He looked at me briefly. “So, how have you been doing?” he curiously asked before turning his attention back on the road. Before I could respond, he added, “Then again, I don’t think I need to ask. I see that you’re making it big,” he affirmed, not going into detail.

I took a quick look at him and saw a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter