Chapter 11

No One Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yah! Cut it out, Dong-chul!” Mi Young yelled at the young boy who took pleasure in getting his groove on to Crayon Pop’s ‘Bar Bar Bar’. He appeared to be deeply engaged in his dancing and couldn’t care less that he was murdering the dance floor. “How dare you mess up the choreography? You might get sued by Crayon Pop!”

“You’re just jealous that you don’t have moves like mine!” He retorted before sticking his tongue out to Mi Young as he continued to wiggle, which got the rest of us cracking up.

In place of our customary lunch after every workshop, Miss Han and the other elders hosted a simple Christmas party for us and the children. What was once a bare community hall had been transformed into a festive scene with all the ts and adornments that had been set up. Nothing could stop everyone from having a blast, not even the chilly winter breeze permeating the atmosphere.

I got dragged by Mi Young and Yeo Seo to join them in a game of Assa and boy, did I feel my age catching up to me after just a couple of rounds. A little worn out, I claimed a seat at one of the tables.  I keenly watched Dong-chul show off his comical dance and the rest of the kids get caught up in their own games while Miss Han conversed fondly with a handful of elders.

Completely absorbed in my own world, I didn’t feel someone occupy the spot next to me. “Having fun, Kim So Eun-ssi?” The unfamiliar voice yanked me out of my musings. I looked to my left and was taken aback to find Jae Hoon, the guy who led the kids into the hall on the first day of the workshop and one of the young volunteers, sitting close to me. Too close for my liking. I had never had any direct interaction with him before, save for that one time when we were introduced to each other by Miss Han, but how he always discreetly watched us from the side during workshops never went unnoticed.

I managed a grin, purely out of courtesy. “Yes I am,” I responded politely as I drank awkwardly from my cup.

“I am pleased to hear that.” He grinned back at me, but something about the way his lips curled rubbed me the wrong way. It was my first time getting a glimpse of him up close and I had to admit, he could be charming. But I just couldn’t care less about that when he acted like a total creep.

He locked his eyes with mine, causing me to flinch surreptitiously. The way he stared made me feel as if he were stripping me down to my soul. I desperately wanted to look away, but he possessed this demanding force that wouldn’t let me do so. “I’m a huge fan, you know.”

I let out a shaky little laugh. “Thanks. I try my best.”

“Nah, you don’t really have to try. It’s working,” he remarked suggestively as his eyes roamed over my body, “At least for me.”

I was never one to condone provocative comments and if it only weren’t for the sake of preserving the merry atmosphere, it would’ve taken me less than a second to hit him with my selca stick.

“Well, the industry’s got a lot to offer. There are other promising actresses too like my friends Go Ara and Park Shin Hye,” came my attempt to change the subject.

He frowned flirtatiously. “Yeah, they’re pretty great too. But they’ve got nothing on Kim So Eun,” he said with a wink, “Aigoo, Song Jae Rim is one lucky punk.”

I scoffed as I crossed my arms, not even concealing the growing disdain I felt toward his obnoxiousness. “Eh? What the heck are you insinuating? Look Jae Hoon-ssi, I don’t know if you can get it through your thick skull, but whatever it is you have in mind, you are clearly mistaken. Things aren’t always what they seem to be, you know,” I blurted out.

He smirked repugnantly. “Did I just make the Kim So Eun angry? Then I’ve been right all along. I’m a er for feisty ladies,” he uttered provocatively. Before I could snap back, I felt his fingers brush against my jean-clad thigh. I jumped back unfalteringly, shooting him daggers. The others were too preoccupied with their endeavors that they remained clueless about the predicament I was in.

“What the fu-“

“So Eun-ah.” To my relief, Bum took the empty seat on my right. He gave Jae Hoon a firm nod before turning back to me. “Sorry I took so long. I had to assist Dong-chul’s omoni with unloading some of the equipment from the truck.”

I gave him a heartfelt smile. I glanced sideways and saw Jae Hoon glaring austerely at him.

“Hey, you must be feeling cold on your spot. Switch seats with me,” he ordered, “Come on, the fireplace is right behind me. It will keep you warm.” I didn’t need to be told twice to get up from my seat and follow his lead.

“So, what’s up?” Bum asked casually once he was settled on my previous seat. “Oh, Jae Hoon-ssi. Sorry for barging in just like that. Am I interrupting something?” He tried to sound pleasantly cheerful, but the way his lips were set in a hard line said the otherwise. I didn’t miss how his tone was marked with unmistakable sarcasm.

Jae Hoon shook his head smugly and sneered. “Aniyo. I was just telling Kim So Eun-ssi how much of a fan I am. If you’ll excuse me, there’s something I need to attend to,” came his flimsy excuse as he got up and gave a curt nod.

I breathed deeply. I couldn’t feel more relieved that he was out of sight.

“Are you alright?” Bum inquired apprehensively, unease etched on his face. “Again, I’m sorry if it took me long to get back.”

“I am now,” I assured him. “It’s okay. There’s nothing to be sorry for.”

He emitted a long, audible breath before furrowing his brows. “Remind me to never leave you on your own again.”

I looked down and laughed quietly before I looked back at him. “Yah, what do you think of me? Am I a child? I’m capable of taking care of myself, thank you very much.”

He twisted his lips and lifted one of his eyebrows. “Oh yeah?”

“Mmm-hmm.”

He threw back his head and laughed. “Fine, if you say so,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter