Chapter 9

No One Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I could feel my heart racing madly just as I felt my palms getting sweaty. Just when I thought that everything was running smoothly, Bum had to pull a Song Jae Rim on me. Be brave, So Eun, I silently reprimanded myself. Don’t let him see right through you. I held my head high as I pulled a straight face and imperturbably asked, “Skinship? Seriously?” He was eyeing me intently, apparently trying to gauge my reaction. I would admit that the idea didn’t sit well with me, yet I just couldn’t back down.

Meeting his gaze, I boldIy declared, “Alright, then.” I looked at him from the corner of my eye as he continued to examine me. “What? I’m up for it. We better not keep the children waiting.”

I saw a little smile flicker around the corners of his mouth while he shook his head in amusement. He was obviously enjoying every minute of it. As for me, I couldn’t have felt more embarrassed. This is what we got from not coordinating well. “I was just kidding. Just setting my acting skills in motion. Emotion Orchestra with Professor Choi? Second semester of freshman year. Ring any bells?”

That was when realization settled in. It was only then that I recalled how the Emotion Orchestra happened to be a staple during warm-up activities in our drama classes. “Oh, right! I remember now. It slipped my mind, I guess. Sorry,” I said civilly even though I desperately wanted to give him a good beating or two right then and there for trying to make a fool of me.

“Don’t worry about it. Better take those memory boosters,” he said as a joke before turning his attention back to the kids who looked as if they were trapped in a candy store while they waited eagerly. 

The mechanics behind the Emotion Orchestra was nothing over-the-top. Basically, it was a rip-off of an actual orchestra. The drama instructor was supposed to act as a conductor while the performers would stand in rows, mimicking the formation of an orchestra. Contrary to having instrumental clusters, “emotion clusters” would be created and assigned by the conductor. As the conductor points to a particular cluster, the performers would convey the emotion assigned to their cluster through sounds, steering clear of using words.

Bum thought it was best to divide the kids into four groups- the joy group, sadness group, anger group, and fear group.  Since there were ten of them, Miss Han and I took part and grouped together with Dong-chul. By some twist of fate, we ended up being the sadness group when we drew lots. Not that I was feeling sad or depressed, but I was confident that all those bottled up angst would come handy.

“Formation, everyone,” Bum ordered as he clapped, motioning the performers to be in proper order. His eyes traveled from one group to another and when he found that everyone had settled, he inhaled, impeccably nailing the part of a conductor. He took a quick look at our group before he swiftly pointed to the fear group. Sounds of helpless screams and shrieks filled the hall as Bum raised his hand, signaling the group to raise the volume.

It was nothing short of amusing to witness the performance of the anger group. The way they yelled, roared and screeched couldn’t have better expressed the building rage and fury, to the extent that they could give a sharp thunder a run for its money. Remind me never to get on these kids’ bad side. Accordingly, Bum lowered his hand and the volume gradually decreased.

When it was our turn, Dong-chul suddenly started wailing like a baby, that all of us couldn’t help but crack up. The seemingly optimistic and cheerful Miss Han appeared coy and awkward, probably embarrassed that the kids would have to see her in such state.

I composed myself and let myself be engulfed with feelings of sadness. Every form. Every color. Two years ago. Despair. Regret. A year ago. Depression. Anguish. World falling apart. The present. Misery. Emptiness. I bawled. I wept. I sobbed.

I was too immersed in my internalization that I got out of touch with the present. Little did I know, the spotlight was turned to the happiness group and colorful squeals and laughter could be heard.

Bum put his hands down as he smiled warmly, looking every bit pleased. “Alright, good job, everyone! Where did you learn all that? You guys were awesome! Just a friendly reminder, next time, try to put variations in your tones, arasso?”

“Yes,” the kids answered in unison.

Bum looked toward my direction, wordlessly communicating that I could take over. I was about to speak up when the adorable, chubby girl who went by the name Mi Young beat me to it. “Kim So Eun unni did a fantastic job earlier! How do you make those sad, crying sounds? Can you teach us, unni?”

While I was genuinely flattered by her words, I didn’t think I could explain what stimulated me to carry out such performance. I smiled tenderly at the innocent girl and placed my hands on her shoulders. “Of course, Mi Young. We will teach you not only how to cry, laugh, get angry or scared. We will teach you how to use your bodies too and create a wide range of emotions and movements,” I told her as I spoke to the other kids as well. Mi Young lit up and squealed in anticipation. My eyes darted to Bum, who gave me an encouraging smile before looking away.

When I took over, I gave a brief lecture on the elements and categories of drama. After wrapping it up, I facilitated an activity that allowed them to express their emotions through body movements this time. A few stood out from the pack, but there were those who still felt inevitably self-conscious. All it took was a little sweet-talking and they gradually loosened up. Apparently, Bum called a lot of attention the moment he showcased his, let’s just say, not-so-graceful movements. Flexibility had always been his Achilles’ heel, yet he thought the otherwise. He used to tell me that his dorky moves were part of his oozing charisma. As much as I always differed, I secretly agreed although I would never really admit that. That’s the thing with him—he has the uncanny ability to turn the preposterous into charming, effortlessly so.

++++

The moment the clock struck twelve noon, Miss Han called our attention. “Okay everyone, I hate to be a party-pooper, but this is all the time we have for now,” she said, which earned endless groans from the children.

Bum and I looked at each other, both of us trying our best to hold back from laughing. “Did you guys have fun?” Bum asked. “I hope you did as much as we had.”  

“Yes, oppa! I think I have the makings of a good actress,” Mi Young answered confidently.

I looked at her and grinned. “Of course you do,” I assured her before shifting my gaze to the rest of the group, “I think everyone here can have what it takes to be a brilliant actor. All it takes is a lot of hard work. In that case, we would like you to practice what you have learned today because you will need them for our activities next week. Can we count on you guys?” It didn’t take them to respond as they nodded their heads fervently.

We were about to pack up and say our goodbyes when Miss Han called out to us. “Kim Bum-ssi, Kim So Eun-ssi, don’t leave yet. Please join us for lunch. It’s not much, but it would be a great pleasure to have you.”

“We would love to,” Bum responded at once.

++++

“Wow, maa!” I complimented as I slurped the tasty chapchae.

Miss Han smiled in delight. “The kids’ moms will be pleased to hea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter