Chapter 15

No One Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: What's a story without an antagonist? B-O-R-I-N-G.

I started writing this chapter over two weeks ago and to reiterate, none of the recent developments have anything to do with it.

 

Getting up for the past few weeks felt like the heaviest burden. While each day was different from the other, I had been starting it in the same way. Every single day, I had been waking up with a heavy heart. And it felt heavier and heavier. All because of those six words that haunted me tirelessly.

I don’t want to see you.

If anything, I was at fault and he resented me, justifiably so. But even just for a while, I wanted to get my mind off the pain. I was aware that no painkiller could do the trick, yet I was willing to take anything I could get.

I donned my new pair of jeans and jazzed it up with a bright lime trench coat, an absolute contrast to my gloomy disposition. Completing my look was a pair of high-cut boots and I was good to go.

Today, I wouldn’t let anything dampen my mood because I decided to undergo what most women reckoned as the best form of therapy: retail therapy.

I arrived at Apgujeong Rodeo Street, Korea’s very own ‘Beverly Hills’, in no time. So Mi asked if she could tag along as she would be meeting up with some friends in the area. Since I could use some company for a while and she could offer a valid second opinion given her flair for fashion, I didn’t see why not.

We took our lovely time hopping from one boutique to another and trying on tons of articles of clothing. Definitely my cup of tea and the diversion that I badly needed. With our latest purchases in hand, we made a stop at Amy’s Closet, our ultimate go-to shop for our fashion fixes.

I spotted a chic floral mini dress that I thought would make a perfect fashion staple for spring. I tried it on at once and admired how it fit me like a glove. As soon as I changed back into my clothes, I made a beeline for the counter. I saw So Mi approaching while holding a pair of trendy color-blocked heels.

An enthusiastic grin formed on her lips. “Aren’t they fab, unni?”

I got the shoes from her and surveyed them from every angle. “Do you really love them that much?”

“I do. And it’s about time I added a new pair to my collection so I won’t need to hunt through your closet all the time,” she said with a laugh.

“You’re right about that,” I concurred, not returning the heels to her and placing them next to the dress.

“Yah, I’m taking those, unni!” she cried out as she tried to make a grab at them, but my reflexes were much swifter.

I smiled at her sweetly, blocking the items with my arm. “They’re on me.”

She stood staring at me, agape. “Are you serious, unni?!”

“No, I was totally kidding,” I stated sarcastically and she looked disappointed for a second before I added with a shrug, “Let’s just say I’m feeling exceptionally generous at the moment. And oh, you’re welcome.”

A childlike pout took shape before broke into a wide smile. “Awww thank you, unni! You really are the sweetest!”

Being a firm believer of good karma, I thought nothing could ever make a person feel abundant more than making others happy. I may have been feeling terribly down for weeks, but seeing how I made my sister’s day was priceless.

“You’ve been a good dongsaeng lately so you deserve a reward,” I told her nonchalantly while paying for the items.

“So if I continue being good, would I receive more rewards?”

I gave her the stink-eye. “That would depend on my mood. Don’t get your hopes up too much,” I answered, making her giggle.

I handed So Mi the bag containing her shoes when I got them from the sales assistant.

“I gotta go now, unni. The girls sent me a text asking me to meet them at Il Mazzio.”

“Arasso. How are you getting home, by the way?”

“I’ll take care of it. I can hitch a ride with one of them.”

“Okay then, have fun!”

I watched her take off before I put my wallet back inside my bag and searched for my sunglasses.

“I’ll be taking these,” said a voice that I unquestionably recognized.

I took a sideway glance and saw a slim, long-legged young woman with mahogany shoulder-length straight hair, her back facing me. She was dressed in a classy black coat over her dark jeans. It didn’t take long before she faced the front, revealing her profile. The rest of her features may not be visible, but I made out those long lashes, flawless V-line, and high-bridged nose that were no doubt identifiable.

No freaking way.

An alarming urge told me to run while I still could, but for some unknown reason, I couldn’t force myself to move.

She was coolly checking her fingernails out when she noticed a loose strand of hair stuck on her sleeve. As she got rid of it, she mindlessly turned her head to where I stood and that was when I found myself face-to-face with someone who looked as surprised as I was. Staring back at me was a pair of orbs that distinctly resembled the only pair of eyes that never failed to captivate me. Those deep, soulful eyes that made me lose the rest of my senses whenever I looked into them.

Despite the alarm bells that had been ringing tenaciously, my lips automatically curled into a smile at the girl whom I treated like my own dongsaeng. “Sang Hee-yah,” I greeted warmly, “Annyeong. It’s been a while.”

Wordlessly, she kept her eyes on me as she let out a smile, but it was one that didn’t reach her eyes. After a few seconds of uncomfortable silence, she finally acknowledged, “Unni.”

Bum and I were far from being on good terms, but that didn’t stop me from reaching out to Sang Hee. It wasn’t like I was putting her in a position where she would be compromising her loyalty to her brother. We did go way back and shared some fond memories together after all. And I hoped she hadn’t forgotten.

I studied her quietly while admiring her sophistication and maturity. The once cute and animated girl had gracefully transformed into a beautiful young woman. “You look fantastic!” I complimented her. “How are you?”

She handed her card to the cashier. “I’m good,” came her terse reply while keeping her gaze ahead.

“Ah,” I muttered while nodding in understanding. I wasn’t entirely sure whether it was the fact that we hadn’t seen each other in years or a different matter, but either way, it gave me an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

“Here you go, agassi. Kamsahamnida,” said the sales assistant as Sang Hee received her purchase. She gave me a curt nod before turning on her heel.

“Sang Hee-yah?”

She stopped in her tracks. “Hmm?”

No! Don’t, So Eun, don’t! You’re about to walk into the lion’s den!

“Would you like to get some coffee?”

The way she stiffened while gripping her designer purse tighter didn’t go unobserved. With her face devoid of any emotion, she kept her eyes on me before complying, “Sure.”

Suit yourself. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

We ended up at Caffe Pascucci, a popular coffee shop that was just a stone’s throw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter