Chapter 14

No One Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Coming to Anyang every Saturday for the past twelve weeks had become a habit—not a bad one at that, but more like a force of nature. It was the day of the week that I looked forward to, which is why being back here in Chung-Ang felt ineffably peculiar. What once felt normal had turned into unfamiliar territory. There was no denying that time and space was my worst enemy.

I was busy doodling on my notepad when a high-pitched voice intruded my solitude.

“Can I just say that I am so freaking glad that it’s all over?!”

An equally irritating nasal voice answered, “I know right? How could they put us through hell during those three months?! Thank God I can finally get my social life back!”

I looked over my shoulder and witnessed the two gossip-mongering hoobaes rant relentlessly about how the extension program ‘ruined’ their lives. I rolled my eyes and threw a dirty look at them despite it going unnoticed. Not that it came as a shock or anything to hear such filth come out of their mouths, but how they treated something I genuinely valued like trash got under my skin.  I would trade anything just to have another day with the kids whom I was missing like crazy.

Even though I didn’t think I could do it with him again after that night.

It was precisely a week since that little ‘adventure’. A week since that breathtaking, earth-shattering, fiery kiss. A week since he confessed that he still loved me.

All I wanted was to scream—of joy, elation, euphoria, glee or every single terminology I could find to describe the state of happiness I was in. I wanted to jump straight into his arms and tell him that I loved him too, always had and always would, but I let something else rule my overjoyed heart: fear.

And so I did what I do best. I tried to run away, but he wouldn’t let me. He literally kept his word that he wouldn’t speak to me and would stay as far from me as possible during the trip home. Imagine how strange trailing after me must have looked as he kept a considerable gap between us and even sat at the opposite end of where I was seated during the train ride. Not even a single word was uttered until the very last minute.

Granted that we went our separate ways not on good terms, I didn’t have the slightest clue what would happen from here on. Why wasn’t he even here yet? His absence calmed me down in a way because I wouldn’t even dream of looking him in the eye after how the supposedly memorable evening turned unexpectedly anticlimactic. But then, this project was a team effort after all so I needed him with me. Since he was still nowhere in sight, I was given a few more minutes to feel at ease and keep my mind off worries.

Or maybe not.

The door flew open and Bum walked in, setting off the two loud-mouthed ladies to perk up while the other two guys in the room couldn’t seem to care less. He would always look immaculately dashing in my eyes, but something was off with the way he carried himself. His infectious signature dimpled smile was replaced by a crestfallen expression that was hard to miss while dark circles betrayed his handsome features. My eyes discreetly trailed after him as he planted himself on one of the seats at the back of the room. Although he sat nonchalantly, I couldn’t ignore the dark cloud looming over his head.

I was inexplicably perturbed by his current state that I couldn’t brush it aside. That was when he caught my eye.  We locked gazes briefly before I quickly turned away. It was only for a second, but something about the way he looked at me gave me shivers. Gone was the sparkle in his orbs and in place was a cold glint that I had never seen before.

I paid no heed to the nagging feeling and went back to my doodling until Professor Shin marched in.

“How is everyone doing? Wish you were back there in the field, don’t you?” she asked while putting her things down on her desk. I wish. “But I bet some of you would rather not,” she said acerbically with a mocking smirk as she glanced at the two ladies who both winced.

“Anyhow, it’s over. To those who enjoyed every single minute of it, I’m sorry that all good things must come to an end and to those who didn’t, then good for you. You can breathe now.”

“So now…” she halted as her eyes landed on Bum. “Kim Bum-ssi, would you mind moving here to the front? I’m sure your partner will appreciate it if you joined her. Go,” she commanded.

Bum reluctantly stood up. “Yes, seonsaengnim.” He slid next to me, avoiding eye contact.

Professor Shin took a final glance at Bum before turning her attention back to the class. “Going back to what I was saying, I would like to hear about your experience. It was a good three months after all. Well, maybe not so good for some of you, but three months is three months,” she expressed. “Just share what you have learned from this immersion and maybe some insights you picked up along the way. Now who wants to go first? Let’s see…” she scanned the group as she placed a finger over her lips, “Ah, yes. Choi Yo Na-ssi,” she beckoned to one of the ladies, particularly the one with blunt bangs. Choi Yo Na, huh? So that’s what she’s called.

Yo Na appeared initially shaken when Professor Shin called on her, but she pulled herself together and put on a tacky, flashy smile. “Um, can I be honest, seonsaengnim?”

With a blank look, Professor Shin responded impassively, “No one’s stopping you.”

Yo Na giggled annoyingly and eyed us self-consciously before she continued, “It was insane. Insane, I tell you!” she exclaimed brusquely, catching Professor Shin off-guard. “I’ve dealt with brats before, but those kids were like the biggest brats I’ve ever met! Ugh!”

Apparently, it didn’t end there. “And God, that place was just so filthy! It’s like the slum of all slums! I didn’t even know such place existed.”

Her startling outburst seemed to have left a lasting impression on everyone, but not in a good way. Professor Shin looked visibly dumbstruck and the two guys appeared to be trying their best to control themselves from bursting into laughter while Bum, given his black mood, looked like he had just been driven up the wall. Only her partner in crime could seem to empathize with her outlandish sentiments.

“Wow,” Professor Shin uttered after a quick shake of her head, as if regaining consciousness. “In my eight years of teaching, this is the first time I’ve encountered someone so…vocal,” she said sardonically, but tactfully so, “And I couldn’t help but feel like an outright failure,” she divulged unintentionally. “I want to hear about something optimistically unforgettable this time. Anyone?”

One of the guys raised his hand.

“Yes, Lee Seok Ju-ssi?”

“Our experience was unforgettable, alright. Especially for Jun Sang here,” he stated while patting the head of his friend in a teasing manner.

“Yah! Don’t you drag me into this!”

Professor Shin cleared . I could tell it would take only a little m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter