In the Eyes of Kim Bum (Special Chapter)

No One Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: This chapter may contain foul language.

A/N: Hey guys! I'm back! First of all, I'd like to wish you a Happy New Year! Since the last chapter was heartbreaking, I didn't want to greet you with another depressing one to kick off the brand new year. I'm not saying that this will be a particularly happy chapter, but at least it will give you a fresh perspective, right? Plus I've been getting requests for KB's POV and I couldn't have found a better timing to present it. Writing from a male POV was indeed challenging and I don't know if I pulled it off, but I enjoyed seeing things from KB's eyes. So without further ado, here it is. :)

 

I woke up with a mean headache. Every nerve on my body felt screwed.

Hangover was a . Yet it never felt so fan-ing-tastic.

I thought it would make me forget—forget how I lost a valuable endorsement deal; forget how I still hadn’t signed on to a new project now that the year was drawing to a close; forget how a total I had been for missing my father’s birthday and how my sister and I got into a damn fight because of it; forget how good she looked in those tight- jeans or how her smile lights up her beautiful face; forget that I wasn’t the reason for that smile anymore because someone else was doing it for her when all that lucky bastard obviously wanted was to get in her pants; but most of all, forget why I chugged down alcohol in the first place.

To make me forget that she wasn’t mine anymore. Or that I never stopped loving her.

There were certain types of ex-girlfriends every man would want to forget. First, we have the puppy love with whom we shared a lot of firsts—from sloppy kisses to heartbreaks. It was fun while it lasted, but as soon as we manned up, we saw it for what it was—blind affection rather than true love; more like a rite of passage that geared us up for the real thing. Next, there’s the obsessed psycho who didn’t know where to draw the line between a healthy dose of daily phone calls and non-stop texting along with a string of 50 missed calls. Dudes with self-esteem issues may get a boost, but in my case, I wouldn’t think twice waving the red flag. The cool girl may give us the time of our lives with her laidback personality and game-on attitude, but let’s face it, those high-fives would only send her to the friend zone, as harsh as it sounds. And then there’s the rebel princess. So here’s the thing: A bad chick is every man’s fantasy. We men always sought for thrill and adventure and no one can give us that other than the bad girl who doesn’t hold back.  But she could be our biggest nightmare too. Her dangerous streak and stronger alcohol tolerance would be enough reason for any man to go running for his life.

At the end of the day, it was all about good riddance. And yet, she, Kim So Eun would never fall in any of those.

She was the one that got away.

When it came to her, there was nothing that even the strongest whiskey could ever make me forget.

The first time I saw her was nothing epic or anything of that sort. I sat quietly on my seat during the second day of classes and having missed the first because of a bad cold, I didn’t know a single fellow. I always got a kick out of people watching so I couldn’t be more entertained when I saw how a bunch of dudes were blatantly checking out a group of chicks who were fussing about their make-up. I shook my head and silently laughed to myself while thinking how ridiculously idiotic some people could be. It wasn’t until then that two girls who were caught up in deep conversation walked right in front of me and I was amused with their noticeable height difference. One was strikingly statuesque and slender and I’d bet my money on it that a lot of guys would dig her. Not me though. Totally not my type. Her friend, on the other hand, was a tiny little thing, so tiny that she could pass for a live Tinkerbelle.

Yet who knew that that tiny little thing would fit perfectly in my arms?

It wasn’t until their faces came into view when I recognized the taller one as actress Go Ara, who debuted in 2003 in the drama ‘Sharp’. I racked my brain to figure out where I had seen Tinkerbelle because she looked vaguely familiar. It was only during the professor’s roll call when I learned that she was an actress who went by the name Kim So Eun. Yep. She played the disobedient daughter in the film ‘The Show Must Go On’. I thought how great of an actress she must be because it would take superior acting skills for someone with the face of an angel to pull off such ruthless character. Okay, she was pretty. But so was Go Ara. And I had always known pretty so it wasn’t that she was something out of the ordinary.

I didn’t mean to sound like a jackass, but I was an ace when it came to the opposite . I was good with girls. Maybe it helped that I had a tight relationship with my mother and younger sister. Yet there was something about Kim So Eun that held me back. She was a mood maker; a natural charmer who always brought positive energy to those around her. I wish I could say the same for me though. Because to me, she was aloof and distant. And it troubled the out of me. Call it a man’s pride, but the fact that she was chummy to mostly everyone except me was disturbing. Thus, I saw her as an enigma. A riddle that I was determined to solve.

I could’ve kissed fate when our professor teamed me up with her and Ara in a project. I knew I couldn’t reach out to her that easily given how cold she acted, but Ara was a savior. That girl was a firecracker and I owed it to her that I was able to slowly bridge the gap between me and So Eun. It did take a bit of effort on my part too but she eventually loosened up and the three of us got close. It must’ve been odd to see a guy like me to be in constant company of two pretty ladies, but I didn’t give a crap. The things I learned about So Eun were, let’s just say, interesting. It astonished me how someone so tiny could scarf down a humongous serving of bibimbap all by herself, and how she never put on weight would always be a mystery to me.  The girl’s got passion for skiing too. She shared that if she weren’t an actress, she would make a living out of skiing. So that was where she got those toned legs from. Oh shut the hell up, Kim Bum. She could be a tough cookie when she wanted to be, but meh, I knew it was all a front because she was an angel. I did find her pretty—at first. But the more time I spent with her, the more I realized that pretty was inadequate to describe her. She was beautiful. So goddamn beautiful. It wasn’t about her striking doe eyes or perfect face. It was about the way she unconsciously bit her lip when she was in deep thought or how she adorably covered when she was laughing. Or even how she playfully hit me when I tell those lame jokes. She didn’t need to put on piles of makeup or wear revealing clothes. Her beauty deserved to be in a class of its own. She was perfect. Perfect in a sense that she was flawed. But still perfect. That was when it hit me that I was falling hard for Kim So Eun. And nope, it was neither a schoolboy crush nor plain old lust.

I let myself fall. Not even with a trace of doubt or uncertainty about how I felt. I was the type who actively pursued the girl I liked, yet she was different. She was far too precious than some fling or puppy love. But I didn’t want to scare her off and I wasn’t some kind of douche who’d force myself on her so I was content with loving her in silence. I continued to hang out with her and Ara as I normally would and I was convinced that I didn’t give myself away until Ara called me out on my bull. What could I do? She was never one to mess with. If I knew better, I’d think she was a man in her past life. Or maybe just a man trapped in a woman’s body. Kidding aside, she became my confidante. I was sure she and So Eun had this ‘girl code’ or whatever they called it, but I still trusted her. She always pushed me to man up and quit acting like a sissy, but I’d always chicken out. Maybe she was right. I was a sissy.

I didn’t know if it was a blessing or a curse when we both got cast in ‘Boys Over Flowers’.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter