Chapter 3

No One Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And cut! That’s a wrap for now. Good job, Song Jae Rim-ssi and Kim So Eun-ssi!” came the PD’s booming voice. My first filming for ‘We Got Married’ had just come to a close. In case you were wondering, I had always been aware of the allegations about the show being scripted and all. I hope I didn’t give you any false ideas, but there are some things that are better left a mystery and this one wasn’t any exception. I’ll let you be the judge because there’s just no way am I telling. Anyway, there weren’t any specific guidelines as it was supposed to be a reality show after all, but the PD made it a point to lay some ground rules so everything would come out naturally: 1. Be spontaneous. 2. Be mindful of your boundaries. And the most important of all, 3. Have fun.

“I had fun filming with you, So Eun-ssi,” my virtual husband, who turned out to be model-actor Song Jae Rim, told me. We were both standing outside our virtual house while our managers stood by the agency vans, waiting for us to wrap up.

“So did I, Jae Rim oppa, “I responded. “Wait, I can still call you oppa even when the cameras aren’t rolling, can’t I?” I inquired and meant it as a joke.

He looked at me sternly, “No, you cannot.” He paused, then chuckled,“Do you even have to ask?”

“Yah, oppa! If you keep doing that, I’ll make sure that you will regret it,” I kidded.

He threw back his head and let out a laugh. “You really are so cute. By the way, I apologize for earlier. Well, you know,” he said sheepishly.

What transpired earlier had got to be one of the most unforgivably awkward moments of my life. Because the first meeting of previous virtual couples had always been conducted in a similar fashion, the PD wanted to bring something new to the table. She insisted that my virtual husband and I met on a blind date (and I meant that in a literal sense). To be perfectly honest, I found it overwhelming to sit inside a completely dark room, knowing that he was just a seat away from me. To top it off, he didn’t make things easy for me by constantly joking around and pulling pranks, yet I made sure that I got even. There was no way would I let him treat me like his prey. After a hint or two, I already had an idea who he was. Upon being told that the blind date was over and it was time for the big reveal, one of the production assistants led us out of the room separately. Heading toward the bridge, I could already see a fairly tall man standing with his back turned. As I drew nearer to where he stood, I playfully covered my face with my clutch to further heighten the suspense. When I reached him, it took me a couple more seconds before I finally unblocked my face. I instantly recognized him the moment our eyes met and even felt proud of myself that my guess turned out to be correct, but unfortunately, he had to ruin it all by acting all surprised and not even having the slightest clue as to who I was. Great.

I composed myself and smiled. “No biggie. At least it gave me the motivation to work harder, right? I will make sure that my name will be known by the whole of Korea,” I teased, stating the same words I uttered during the Back Door Interview.

“I’ll be honest, So Eun. It wasn’t that I didn’t know who you were,” he admitted.

I glared at him. “What?! Were you trying to make a fool of me, oppa?!” I spat, not even attempting to hide my displeasure.

“Relax. You see, I’m really terrible with names,” he explained, looking a bit shamed. “I got consumed by tension that I suddenly couldn’t remember your name so I just went along with it and pretended not to know who you were.  Who can blame me? Any normal male would be rendered speechless by your beauty,” he added slyly.

I just stood there, stunned. That prankster. Apparently, his smooth talk didn’t end there. “Don’t feel bad. Your name may have slipped my mind, but there’s no way I can forget that beautiful face. Besides, do you think I haven’t heard of ‘Boys Over Flowers’? Get real, I wasn’t living under a rock. Just so you know, I did have the hots for the lovely Ga Eul-yang.”

Ga Eul-yang.

 

Flashback (March 2009, Last day of filming for ‘Boys Over Flowers’):

“Ga Eul-yang,” a deep, sultry voice interrupted my thoughts while I was in the middle of packing my stuff in one of the tents during our final filming day for ‘Boys Over Flowers’. Honestly, I had mixed feelings about the imminent ending of this project. I couldn’t be more relieved that we finally wrapped it up; hence, I could take my much-needed and deserved break after months of grueling filming, yet it also felt bittersweet.  I was never a pro when it came to goodbyes and knowing that I had to part ways with my newfound family with whom I spent several months of exhausting, but memorable filming, was enough to send me to tears.

It didn’t take a genius to figure out whom the voice belonged to. I turned and found Bum standing with a suave grin on his face, holding a small parcel.

Having no clue as to what he had in mind, I smiled and played along with whatever it was he was trying to get at.

“Does Yi Jeong-sunbae need help in wooing Eun Jae-nim?” I asked innocently. “Whatever it is that he has up his sleeves, I don’t think it’s gonna work. Yi Jeong-sunbae better step his game up.”

He snickered. “Why would I woo Eun Jae when I already have my Ga Eul-yang?” He countered, flashing his signature smile that could make any woman go weak in the knees.

Not one to admit defeat, I snapped back, “Your Ga Eul-yang, huh? Since when did Ga Eul-yang become yours?”

“Since the day she stole my heart and won’t return it,” he responded cheesily and gave me a wink.

I pulled my face into a mock scowl. “Aish! Let’s stop this now, Bum-ah. It’s getting borderline cheesy!” I whined, reluctantly giving in.

“Why, cat got your tongue? Afraid you’ll end up falling for the irresistible charms of So Yi Jeong?” he continued to tease me.

“I swear, if you don’t stop at this instant, I will ask Hye Sun-unni to give you one of her famous spinning kicks,” I warned.

“So Eunnie is such a spoilsport,” he pouted. “Fine, I’ll stop if that’s what you want,” he smiled before his face turned a bit more serious. “This is for you, Eun-ah,” he said and handed me the item he was holding.

I graciously accepted it from his hands

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter