Determined

Perfectly Flawed

 

Everyone has experienced something that has changed them in a way that they could never go back to the person they once were.

 

4th February 2014

 

[From: Luhan]

 

I’m probably going to Seattle for exchange. Been wanting to go there for quite some time. You?

 

Hwayoung stared at her phone, unsure of what to reply Luhan. Earlier in the day, the school had briefed them about being able to clear their school modules abroad. Students were able to choose from a list of schools that their university partnered with. Clearing modules abroad was much easier than in Seoul and most importantly, they get to travel. Everyone was very excited by the news except for one; Hwayoung.

 

Contrary to their excitement, she couldn’t help but to feel envious. She could never afford an exchange like them. She could scrape through her expenses and the expensive school fees with the job she is holding at the night club, but if she wanted to do anything more than that then it would be a dream. As much as she wanted to tour around the different countries, taking pretty pictures like her other friends, she knew that exchange would always be a far away dream for her. It is always such times that she didn’t felt good and worthy enough for anyone or anything, so during the briefing she could only bury her head in her notebooks, doodling away/

 

[To: Luhan]

 

I don’t know..

 

Before she could lock her phone, she received another reply from him.

 

[From: Luhan]

 

Come Seattle with me. It would be fun!

 

The first 4 words of the message caused Hwayoung’s breath to get caught between her chest. Luhan wanted to her to go Seattle with him and she could imagine the scene of them walking down the streets of Seattle together. That moment, she felt something in her shake and the grip on her phone tightened as her knuckles turned white.

 

But the sound of the alarm on her phone brought her back to reality. She glanced at the clock and stood up to grab her hoodie hurriedly. Slipping them on, she walked passed the living room where her parents were watching television.

 

“Omma, Appa. I’m going to work.”

 

“Alright. Stay safe kiddo.” Her dad replied coolly and she nodded with a smile. She remembered how her mother used to be against her doing such an undecent job but her father was the one who supported her. He trusted his daughter is mature enough to make her own decisions and he told his wife and her something that she would never forget in her entire life.

 

“If no one wants to date her just because she’s a stripper, then she shouldn’t date a guy who’s ever been to a strip club.”

 

“Any guys who doesn’t dare to date a girl who’s ever done shouldn’t date a guy who ever watched .”

 

“Men are the reason why strippers and stars exist. They are just simply supplying to our demand.”

 

“If a man disdain workers, they shouldn’t even dare to consume female’s labour.”

 

Just like what they said in the industry, people with the left left hand and point with the right. They have no rights to judge people like them because people like Hwayoung are earning money with their own hands. They didn’t rob or steal, it’s a job that no one should look down on.  

 

[To: Luhan]

 

I will think about it.. I don’t know if I should.
 

“Why the sigh Youngie?” Hyeri stood behind her and combed her black hair gently. The girl had been so deep in her thoughts since the moment she came in here that she didn’t even realized that she had stood behind her for quite some time already. “It’s your forth sigh since I had been standing here.”

 

“Oh Unnie..” Hwayoung looked into the mirror in front of her and saw the older lady smiling back at her warmly. However, behind that smile lay a kind of tireness that she knew no sleep can cure. Holding onto her hand that was on her shoulder, she replied, “It’s nothing. Just some school exchange trip.”

 

“Really? It seems like there is more to it.” Hyeri gave her hand a light squeeze and sat beside her. She knew Hwayoung wasn’t someone who would prioritise something like that over her school fees. “Because of a boy isn’t it?”

 

Shocked by her answer, Hwayoung blinked at the older lady for a few seconds before shaking her head. Her actions caused Hyeri to laugh. “It has got to do with a boy then.”

 

“No Unnie, I don’t like him in that way. It’s just…” Hwayoung tried to clarify but then she realized, she didn’t know how to describe the relationship she had with Luhan. It was too much to say and she didn’t know where to begin.

 

“Whether it’s about the boy or not, it’s always nice being away.” Hyeri patted her hand lightly. “I think it’s important to get away from where you’ve grown up for some of your life.”

 

“But, I don’t have enough money.” Hwayoung mumbled.

 

“Then earn it.”

 

Looking at Hyeri, Hwayoung knew what she meant. If she wanted to fund for her exchange, there was only one thing she could do. She wasn’t afraid of the difficulties that would come along with it, what frightened her was being forced to choose one particular path between the two; to go exchange or not to go. Choosing a path meant having to miss out on others. She had a whole life to live, and she was afraid that in the future, she might regret the choices she made now.

 

“Weigh how important the exchange is to you.” Hyeri put her hand down on her lap before turning to look into the mirror to fix her makeup as she went on. “Are you willing to sacrifice it or earn for it.”

 

Hwayoung looked at her own appearance in the reflection as she thought hard about Hyeri’s question. Scenes of her past flashed before her and her hand tightened into a ball instinctively.

 

The exchange was important to her and there was no way she would sacrifice it.

 

She was willing to do anything to earn for it.

 

Anything.


I dropped tons of hints in this chapter. Anyone can pick up anything?

Enjoy!