Tried

Perfectly Flawed

What if seeing each other again changed everything?

 

6th December 2013

 

 “Psst.”

 

Hwayoung turned at the sound and stealthily walked to the seat beside her close friend, Minji.

 

“Good morning.” Hwayoung pulled her bag forward and set out her stationaries and notes on the lecture table as fast as she could, trying to blend in with the rest of the students. The last thing she wanted was to attract any unnecessary attention.

 

“Good afternoon you mean?” Minji pointed to her watch as she whispered. “First day of school and you are already late.”

 

Flashing her an apologetic look, Hwayoung apologised. “I’m sorry. I overslept.”

 

“What time did your work end last night?” Minji asked instinctively. The sole reason to her good friend being late was none other than her work.

 

“12.” She lied before changing the subject quickly. “How’s school so far?”

 

“Awesome.” Her friend gave her a thumbs up sign and wriggled her eyebrows to the front row of the lecture theatre.

 

“Not bad.” Hwayoung peeked from the sea of students to see a group of 6 boys sitting at the front row of the lecture hall. Their backviews were already a plus point, too bad she couldn’t see their faces now. But she was confident they were not bad looking.

 

“Not bad right.” Minji nudged her playfully. “Got chance.”

 

Hwayoung nodded her head and bit her lower lips, stopping herself from smiling. University was a brand new start for her and she was really looking forward to it. A new environment always give her a tinge of hope that things would be different. She had been single for 2 years and she kind of got used to being alone. 2 years was considered to be a pretty long time to be single for and somewhere along the way she got used to not expecting phone calls and having nothing to do at night. She stopped expecting to turn around to open arms any longer. She got used to ger thoughts echoing through her head, with no one to share them with.

 

All in all, being alone wasn’t that terrible. It just hurts like hell.

 

She wants to blend in with the norm and get attached too. What she want is to be needed, to be indispensable to somebody. Who she needs is somebody that will eat up all her free time, her ego, her attention. Somebody addicted to her. A mutual addiction; not one where she falls in head first.

 

“Looks like we are in different group.” Minji pouted at her sadly when they look at the paper they were just given.

 

“God, I seriously hate this.” Hwayoung complained. Orientation had always been a dread for her and just like what she had expected, she already heard people mummuring how they were in the same group as a particular pretty girl or handsome guy as she sat in her assigned group.

 

“Make friends.” Minji mouthed to her from the other corner of her room and she nodded.

 

“Hi, you are?” Hwayoung initiated a conversation with the guy beside her.

 

“Seungjae.” The guy replied, “You?”

 

“Hwayoung. Nice to meet you.”

 

“Nice to meet you too.” The guy shook her hand and Hwayoung let out a breadth, it wasn’t as hard as she had expected. She wanted to give herself a pat on her shoulders for taking the initiative for the first time.

 

“Hi, I’m Seungjae.” Hwayoung looked at the guy beside him interact with another girl on the other side. “You are?”

 

“I’m Yeonhee.” The skinnier looking girl smiled shook his hand and almost immediately, a different kind of smile lit up on his face.

 

“Cool. Do you think we can exchange numbers? If you don’t mind of course.” Seungjae asked as he inched closer to her, “We can study together or something. I heard from the seniors that this course is pretty tough.”

 

“Yeah, I heard too. Let’s work hard together.”

 

“You look smart, so I’m sure you would be fine.”

 

“No.. I’m not hahah.”

 

Lowering her eyes, Hwayoung bit her lips and unlocked her phone immediately, blocking out their conversation entirely. How convenient it was for Seungjae to exclude her from the conversation and she sighed at the difference she was being treated compared to Yeonhee who was skinnier and prettier than she was. It wasn’t her first time to be treated so anyway.

 

For the first day of school, she had even bought a new dress which she thought she looks quite pretty in. But looks like no matter how hard she try, she would never be perfect. Whenever she thinks she looks decent or okay, she will have to come across a prettier girl and she would immediately fall into the assumption that she would never measure up to that kind of pretty. She can never be enough because there will always be someone prettier and better.

 

Sometimes how she wished she wore red lipstick more and she could break boy’s hearts daily; but sadly boys break her heart and she looks bad in red lipstick. She had no idea when is it her turn to be pretty even when she went for plastic surgery like all the girls out there, but looks like she was still not pretty enough. How she wished she could go under the knife again, but unfortunately, she couldn’t.

 

Looking around the room, she watched how everyone was interacting with one another and she could easily pick up how those girls who were prettier than her were having fun. With a silent sigh, she went back to her phone that had no new text from anyone. Staring at the phone’s screen blankly, she feels hurt that everytime she couldn’t be what everyone wants or what anyone needs. It hurts that she couldn’t be what she wanted or what she needs because she was not enough and she would not be enough and she would never be close to enough.

 

She was so damn tired to be surrounded by girls who can eat everything and do everything and they are perfect. They never have to think twice about calories. She just wanted to wake up and wear whatever she feels like wearing cause it all fits and looks good. Nobody had any idea how hard she was trying everyday.

 

Why is everyone so perfect except her?

 

“Alright guys! Attention please!” Her senior called for everyone’s attention and Hwayoung looked up with a forced smile, pretending that whatever thoughts in her head didn’t exist at all.

 

“We have a new comer in our group!” She announced excitedly before stepping aside to introduce the male that made Hwayoung froze in her seat. who was wearing a smile that made Hwayoung’s heart stop beating as she stared at him.

 

“Hi. I’m Luhan.” The male waved to everyone and went on to shake everyone’s hands. His dazzling smile was sufficient to make Hwayoung’s heart stop beating, Not even her boyfriend had made her feel this way, he was the only one so far.

 

“Nice to meet you.”

 

Hwayoung stared at his hand that was before her for a good few seconds before taking in a deep breadth and slip her hand into his.

 

“Nice to meet you.” Hwayoung gathered all her courage and shook his hand confidently as she looked into his doe eyes for the first time that day.

 

And she swore, she would never forget the way he looked at her the first time he saw her.


This story is taking place at the same time as Flawless Imperfections so there would be a few overlapping scenes here and there.

If you all had read FI, you all will know that I dropped hints right in the first chapter hinting about Sehun. I've also dropped a couple of hints here so do pay attention too.

For all Luhan fans out there, I had created another story called Backstage Romance. If you are interested, feel free to subscribe it!

Enjoy this chapter and don't forget to leave a comment!