What's A Date?

The Tale of Snow White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun took Baek Seol to an authentic Korean restaurant. When they entered, Baek Seol was amazed by the design of the restaurant. "This is a lovely place for dinner," she sighed. "But what do they served here?"

"Korean food, of course," Kyuhyun told her. "I thought I might bring you here to try our best dishes." A lady kindly showed them to their table and hands them a menu. Baek Seol opens the menu and scan the food listed inside. "Everything looks delicious," she said. "What do you recommend, Kyuhyun?"

"How about I order the dishes, okay?" suggested Kyuhyun. 

"Sure. I'll eat anything you order," said Baek Seol, agreeing with his suggestion. Kyuhyun called the lady and place their orders. The lady smile and took the menu away. "You have a pretty girlfriend, sir," she told Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun chuckled nervously. "She's not my girlfriend, ma'am. She's just a friend." The lady laughed and walk away. "Girlfriend? What is that?" asked Baek Seol.

"A love companion for a boy. After a boy and girl dated for a long time, they become couples. Therefore, they are called boyfriend and girlfriend," Kyuhyun explained the meaning. 

"I see. What's a date?" Baek Seol asked again.

"It's when two people go out together and we talk about our likes and our dislikes, our hobbies and other things," Kyuhyun explained the meaning. 

Baek Seol began to understood a little. "Ooh. Is a dinner consider a date?" 

"Yeah. But sometimes a date is not necessary dinner all the time. Couples can go to the movies, or the museum or anywhere else," said Kyuhyun.

"Interesting." Baek Seol began to sigh. "I never knew the real world has so many extraordinary things I can experience and learn about. I guess coming to this world ain't such a bad idea after all." 

"Jeongmal? I guess you never learn about dates or girlfriends/boyfriends back home, huh?" said Kyuhyun.

Baek Seol shook her head. "We're used to happily ever afters. Like what you always read in fairy tales." Kyuhyun let out a chuckle. "I get your point. Like a princess and prince just met, get married and lived happily ever after."

"Exactly," said Baek Seol.

"Well, in our world, we do things differently. To become a couple, one must know each other first. We always start with friendship first. Then, once we are close, we date and if we love each other, we can become a couple," explained Kyuhyun. 

"Sounds like a long journey," said Baek Seol. 

"Ne. It takes time but it'll be worth it," said Kyuhyun. Soon, the lady arrives with their meal. She set the bowls on the table and the side dishes. "Enjoy," she told them. Baek Seol stares at the dish. "Looks amazing. What is this dish called?" 

"Bibimbap. It has rice topped with vegetables, chili paste, meat and egg," replied Kyuhyun. "Oh and this side dish is kimchi. A cabbage filled with chili paste. It's our national dish here."

Kyuhyun also showed Baek Seol how to used the chopsticks and the long silver spoon. Baek Seol tries to follow him. Of course, for a first timer, she failed in picking up the kimchi. "Don't worry. Once you stayed here longer, you'll improve your chopstick skils," laughed Kyuhyun.

Baek Seol tried again and again until she finally picked up a kimchi and ate it. "Mmm. This taste good. Spicy and sourish but good." 

"Try it with your dish," Kyuhyun advised her. Baek Seol did as she was told. "The kimchi makes it even more nicer. I want to try and cook this dish."

"Can you cook?" asked Kyuhyun.

"Of course. I can cook and bake anything," replied Baek Seol. "However, I never cook meat because I have animal friends back home. I wouldn't want to see them as meat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter