Curse

First

Knowing your habit of drinking a glass of warm milk whenever you wake up, Yugyeom carefully makes his way to the kitchen to prepare it for you. He catches the sight of the strange man from last night dozing off on the couch. Normally, wolves would eliminate any threat around them in a blink of an eye, but Yugyeom somehow senses that the man right here isn’t going to hurt you, to him that’s the only thing matters. The wolf boy thinks about waking the man up to make things clear but you appear in his mind, again, preoccupied to his every fiber that he decides to go back under the duvet with you.

Finally after what feels like eternity for the stranger and only a second for Yugyeom, you walk out to the living room, hand in hand with the werewolf boy (he insists because his possession is raised whenever a another male is near you.

“Oh hi Rin Mi”, the stranger starts off awkwardly as you poke your head out from Yugyeom’s tall figure to take a look. His eyes, his nose, his chin all resemble your Dad when he was young, the homie feeling takes over your mind as the salty liquid starts to form at the corner of your eyes.

“Hoon? Seul Hoon?”

The man nods lightly to your bright smile. He holds out his arms, indicating a welcome hug as Yugyeom still blocks your way.

“Who are you, Hoon? Why are you still here?”

"I’m her brother, Seul Hoon. I’m also your life saver if you remember the bullet last night. You’re welcome!”

You look up at Yugyeom for confirmation as the boy nods. Just a moment ago in bed, he has told you everything and answered to all your questions, even the smallest one such as what color of the kite you two made as a kid or did he have fun the time you braided his hair.

“I left home when she was four to become a hunter to protect myself and human from such creature like you”, Hoon explains.

“Why only now did you come back? Do you know how hard it is to live alone, thinking that everyone in my family is dead?”, you burst into tears as Yugyeom your hair, engulfing you in his warmth.

“Number one, my trainer doesn’t let me go until I’ve finished my training. Number two, now is the most crucial time, in a day or two, you will be eighteen. Your destiny, even before you were born, has been attached to a thousand old curse. On your birthday, under the bloody moon, or you die, or he dies, for the curse to be broken”, said Hoon hesitantly, examining your facial expression.

“What curse?”

“Do you still remember the story Mom used to tell you most night? About Do Joon and Cheon Yi?”

“Yeah…?”

“Do Joon was Yugyeom’s great grandfather and Cheon Yi ‘s your great grandmother”.

You gasp. “What? But Mom said it was all fairy tale!”

“Because that was when Mom was still alive and could protect you”

“No, no. You’re joking! You’re joking, right? It can’t be! Yugyeom-ah, did you know about this, too?”, you raise your voice at the boy holding you tight as he gently wipes the tears off your cheeks with his thumbs.

“I’m sorry. I just want to protect you…”

“Why you all think of me as a child?! Why keep secrets from me?! Why not tell me the truth!? I could have saved Mom and Dad!”, you violently push Yugyeom away before storming into your room, locking the door behind, tears rolling down on your face like a waterfall while you’re mumbling it was all your fault. Your mind recalls the bed time story you used to make Mom tell you at nights.

Once upon a time, an incredibly handsome young man named Do Joon fell in love with a gorgeous young lady Cheon Yi. It was love at first sight. They first met each other on a rainy day and knew that it were their hearts, not the lighting from the sky that flushed electricity down their spines. They loved each other so much that they decided to get married. But the problem was Do Joon’s family was very wealthy, his father was one of the greatest general during that time. Meanwhile, Cheon Yi’s family had to struggle to earn a living. Furthermore, Do Joon had already betrothed to miss Sol Woo, daughter of the king’s sister. Ignoring all the threats, Do Joon sneaked out of his locked room to find Cheon Yi and they ran away together. Do Joon’s family had to suffer great humiliation, also missed the chance to be promoted for upsetting the king’s relative. The very next day, the order to track down that love birds was proclaimed and after seven days, they finally found the young couple hiding in a small cottage near the river. While the troops were banging the door and shooting from outside, Do Joon still calmly cupped Cheon Yi’s face to press his lips against her, soon they melted into the deepest kiss, tears began to fall off their cheeks. Although Do Joon remembered telling Cheon Yi he loved her everyday, he still felt it was not enough, especially when danger was on the verge of crushing them. The couple ran, pass the stream they sat by the shore day by day to watch the sun goes down, pass the field of small white daisy they lied down after chasing each other, through the forest grew apples and berries they picked up for brunch. They ran through their memories until an arrow plunged into Cheon Yi’s heart. She collapsed, making Do Joon scream in agony. His sharp-dagger-like eyes pierced into the one shooting the arrow – his father. Do Joon burst into tears. He was frustrated, too frustrated. The only one he ever loved in his life, was slowly drifting off the string of life. He held her tightly in his arms as Cheon Yi used her last breath to pull her lover close for one last longing kiss, her lips barely forming an “I love you”. In his worst pain, Do Joon got rid of the arrow off Cheon Yi’s chest to end his life with it before his father could ever stop him. The love birds’ blood blended into each other as it formed a heart shape on the grass before being absorbed into the ground. Cheon Yi’s mother arrived at the scene only to witness two bodies straddling as her eyes grew red. She stormed forward to the one known as the most judicious general and pointed at him while mumbling some ancient spell. Your ancestor from long time ago was the only witch using dark magic of the Joseon dynasty. She cast a curse on the whole Kim family that from now on, whenever a Kim child was born, he or she would turn into a wolf every full moon to kill anybody in sight. Once a monster, always a monster. Ancestor created hatred, posterity had to pay.

The way to break the curse is that the seventh descendant of the Kim family has to die when he turns 18, right the area where Do Joon and Cheon Yi lied down when the bloody moon rises. How unfortunate when the seventh descendant is Yugyeom, the person you love more than life.

As you lean your back against the door, Yugyeom also places his palm on the wooden surface from the other side. The more he listens to your crying, the more weak he becomes, the more angry he builds up. Just a moment ago, he has just had a serious talk with Seul Hoon.

“I think you should leave her. The sooner the better. Rin Mi is the kind of girl who always blames herself for anything bad happens. You staying here only causes pain”, Seul Hoon spoke up lowly as Yugyeom stopped fiddling the rock under his feet. “I can protect my sister just fine. The bullet last night I believe is enough to prove to you”.

“Don’t worry, I’ll go. A wolf will never hurt his mate. As a hunter, I thought you would know that pretty well”, Yugyeom’s lips curled up into a bitter smile.

“I do. I also know your mate will never want to hurt you. Can you imagine what she would do now when she knows her blood could also break the curse?”

“Just tell me the exact location of the place where Do Joon and Cheon Yi died”, Yugyeom skipped the aching subject, knowing too well what would happen.

“The vast land near the only river flowing pass Jinhae, Changwon town, two miles from our old house”.

Yugyeom smiled faintly. It was the place destiny helped him to meet you. How ironic when it’s also the place where you will be broken apart.