Childhood

First

Yugyeom's POV

Jinhae, Changwon

Rin Mi spotted me gasping for air near the river many years ago. I was a wolf cub which had lost his pack for 3 days after being swept along with the flood. I couldn’t move because of bruises, broken bones and hunger. I groaned in pain uder my breath as Rin Mi  approached. She was just about 5 or 6 years old, a chubby cute little girl. She held me in her arms and I could never ever forget the way she looked at me, those loving and familiar feeling even though it was the first time we met. Till this day, the vulnerable reflection of mine in her irises still followed me to my sleep every night, as frequently as the warmth radiating from her.

“It’s ok now.  Noona will protect you”

Rin Mi brought me home to the bounce in her every step. She sat on the floor while holding me by my front legs, dancing to her just created song to persuade her parents to let me stay. Rin Mi’s parents were such gentle and kind people. Noticing their daughter wanted to raise a puppy, they taught her how to take care of me and show me affection. One day, when we were having fun on the field, I told her my deepest secret that I wasn’t a puppy but a baby wolf. Furthermore, I could turn into a human. At first, Rin Mi was a bit aware then she wore a sunshine smile decorated by billions of twinkling sunlight while hugging me.

“Gyeomie-ah~ I know you’re special” She stretched out her pinky “Promise to stay with me forever okay”.

It was our first and the most important promise I still kept. The pinky swear.

But then when I thought everything was perfect, it couldn’t get any worse. Rin Mi’s parents found out that I was a wolf so they quickly thought of a plan to get rid of me – one silver bullet aimed at my heart. As soon as the metal piece of death was fired from its holder, Rin Mi once again, saved my life. She shielded me. She took the damn bullet for me!

The feeling when seeing the one you loved the most getting hurt because of you was a trillion times worse than you got hurt yourself. MI collapsed, her head smashed on the cold concrete floor, blood spilt everywhere. Despite all that, she smiled, the most beautiful smile I‘ve ever seen. With her last strength, she unchained me, her hoarse voice faded in the thick air.

“It’s okay now. Noona will protect you”

Her parents dropped the gun, quickly took her to the hospital. Her mom’s eyes dewed tears as she treaded on my stomach.

“You MONSTER!!!”.

-

The day I had a reunion with my family, though not officially, was also the day I met Rin Mi again.

Seoul had all sort of smell, from the gasoline smell of cars, the delicious smell of food cooked in restaurants to the mixed smell of the pedestrians. But I had no difficulty distinguishing Rin Mi ’s typical smell. Her family lived in an apartment built 3 years ago. When I was hesitating at the elevator, Rin Mi walked out. She was taller, skinnier. Her short hair now grew long and glossy. The cute face had more specific lines like straight nose and cherry-liked lips. She was talking to someone on the phone and she smiled, the smile was still bright like the old time but with whiter teeth. The only thing remained unchange was her dark-gray eyes, still warm, still sparkling as water under the spring sunlight. I had a strange feeling, more like urging to pin her to the wall, to crash my lips on her in a deepest kiss. I desperately desired to tell her how much I’ve missed her and how bad I’m in love with her. That feeling actually had grown in me ever since our first met, but I’d never noticed it became this vivid. It took every fiber inside me to restrain my will. Nevertheless, I really didn’t want to see her getting hurt because of me ever again. But that didn’t mean I would be alright when Rin Mi noticed me, yet she left without saying anything. The injury must have affected a lot on Rin Mi ’s memories. And seeing it as a chance to protect their little girl, her parents didn’t remind her about what had happened. I didn’t blame them, only felt disappointed.

As I reached the floor in which Rin Mi ’s family lived, I overheard a big argument.

“Well well looks who’s here!”, a husky voice spoke up teasingly. “Nice house!”

“What are you doing here?”, Rin Mi’s father grunted.

“You know, just checking on our favorite girl, RIN MI. Where is she anyway?”

“Don’t even bother! You can’t find her! It’s your ancestor that caused this, why do you keep hurting people?” Rin Mi’s parents shouted in unison and I could hear the well-known growl of wolf echoed violently.

“Huh! Your ancestor cursed the damn spell first! If it wasn’t for that curse, I wouldn’t be here!”

“You murders deserve to be monsters!”

And just like that, the wolf pack had ripped Mr. and Mrs. Jung’s bodies apart before I could make a move. I could sense them. Every pack had its own smell, like it or not, I had to accept the ugly truth that this was my pack.

“You don’t have to do that Yerin”, the alpha said calmly.

“You told me to get rid of any risk which could arise, they are one of them”, the female wolf the blood stained on her feet, answering as if it had been no big deal.

“No need to rush! Or you may ruin our last hope. Rin Mi will only be worth when she’s eighteen.

When will you summon Yugyeom? It has been years!”, my mother hissed.

“Let him be, enjoying his precious time before we finish that brat”, the alpha replied calmly.

Finish? The word rang in my ears as my blood started to boil dramatically. It was getting harder for me to breathe normally when I heard my Rin Mi was in danger, if not say extreme danger, by the creaures which killed her parents. The wolf pack were my family, then why did I fell like I would tear them to pieces if they dared to touch Mi.

“She was his mate!”, my mother argued, which caused me to frown. Mate? “If she dies, he’ll die!”

“He won’t. With our help! It will work! Our plan has to work! It’s time for the damn curse to be stopped!”

I still had tons of questions. I still needed tons of answers. Deep down, I still craved for my parents’ love, who had abandoned me for years. However, I found myself running at full speed to Rin Mi. So she was my mate, that explained why I felt so attached to her, why I wanted to be with her and why my stomach growled each minute not seeing her, knowing she was safe. No, Rin Mi was no longer safe as soon as she turned eighteen.

After the accident, Rin Mi lived on her own. I wanted to come to her, I wanted it bad. I would tell her that I was Yugyeom, that we had spent our childhood together, that I missed her. I wanted to hold that little fragile girl in my embrace and showed her the collar she once made for me to remind her of all the beautiful memories we’d had. But I was scared, she still didn’t remember who I was. And even if she did, she probably wouldn’t want to protect me anymore. Above all, I couldn’t lose her. That was why I started over, blending into her life, what she liked, what she loved, what she enjoyed. I got into JYP with the same reason. I couldn’t force myself to stop seeing her, even that meant I had to skip a practice session and being scolded after. My favorite spot was the convenience store near her house.

It was raining heavily. Normally, Rin Mi  would get straight home and got so sick that she couldn’t go to school the next day. But that night, with a sudden mood, she  chose to shelter under the convenience store’s porch, which was very close to me. Rin Mi  looked at me, longer this time. Her gaze was full of hunger, she must have been on diet. I chuckled, making her blush. At the speed of light, I rushed to her, my legs trembling with anticipation, my heart drowning with the overwhelmed emtion when I held her wrist, the small collision flushed electricity down my veins.

I wanted to tell her a lot. I wanted to pour my heart out, all this time, all this misery would end as long as she stayed with me.

Rin Mi, my mate. Hi. “It’s cold out here. Get in!”.

“Who are you anyway? Why drag me all of sudden?”. She frowned.

Do you remember me, my mate? “Are you really gonna leave after staring at me like you’re going to die of starvation?”

“Yeah. Why not?”. I could practically read her inner mind that said there went her romantic korean drama vision.

You’re so cute, my mate. I giggled.

“What’s with the laugh?” She pulled herself from me.

I miss you, my mate. “I’ve secretly watched you for weeks. Your school must be around here, huh? I see you passing by everyday”.

“Are you some kind of a stalker?”. She took a step back.

No, no, you’re just so beautiful, my mate. “No, no, I just love contemplating you”

“How can you say that without getting goosebump?”

Please stay with me, my mate. “You’re hungry, right? Let me treat you with ramyeon then. Don’t worry. I won’t put any poison in”. I said, grabbing her wrist and dragging her in the store.

I couldn’t take my eyes off her, even for a split second. I wanted to cherish this moment, that right here, right now, we met again.