Chance 2

Heaven, Happiness, & Chance [HIATUS]

CHANCE #TWO
“Where are my worries? Where am I? Did I save the boy?”


Yoona’s parents, Donghae, Nichkhun, Sooyoung, Siwon, Kyuhyun, Seohyun, and Nichkhun’s parents are all waiting in the hospital waiting room. No happiness can be found on their faces. They are waiting for the results of the on going suregery. They are worried, really worried.

Seohyun is crying on Kyuhyun’s embrace.

Sooyoung is drinking a cup of coffee to calm herself.

Yoona’s mother or stepmother to be exact is very anxious as well. Her husband is trying to comfort her. They are blaming themselves. But someone is really willing to be blamed here. Someone named Donghae.

“Donghae-ah…”

Nichkhun breaks the silence as he calls Donghae. Donghae only turns his head to face Nichkhun.

“Can we have a talk? Privately…”

Nichkhun says what he wants to say. He is really bothered by certain things actually and he is really afraid about it.

“Now?”

Donghae asks back.

“Now… please.”

Nichkhun answers and he walks, leaving the waiting room and signaling Donghae to follow him. Donghae is a bit confused actually. He wonders what Nichkhun is trying to talk about with him. Is it really important? However, he stands up and then walks to where Nichkhun is going to.

Sooyoung stares at Siwon and both of them stares at Kyuhyun. The three of them also ponder about what Nichkhun will say to Donghae.

Somehow, Donghae is nervous.

Well, Nichkhun is nervous as hell.

They are in a silent corridor right now as if it is really prepared for them to talk privately. Nichkhun stops walking and Donghae does the same thing. Nichkhun turns his body and they are facing each other. They look into each other’s eyes. Donghae can sense the serious atmosphere now.

“Donghae-ah… actually I… I want to ask you a question and please… please answer me honestly.”

Nichkhun starts.

“S-sure…”

Donghae replies.

“Do you love Yoona more than a friend? Did I steal her from you?”

And Nichkhun doesn’t waste any time as he strikes the question that has been bothering him all this time. Yeah… it’s not just recently bothering him. It has been bothering him ever since he started dating Yoona actually. He can feel it and it is threatening him so much that he can’t hold it anymore. Nichkhun really wants to know.

At the other side, Donghae is speechless. He wants to be honest and he is always honest. He doesn’t want to hurt Nichkhun and he knows that by being honest he will. He is really confused but he decides to lie.

“Khun… what are you talking about. Of course you d-”

“YAHHH!!!” Sooyoung suddenly cuts Donghae. She is coming from Donghae’s back.

“The suregery is done. The doctor will come out so both of you better cut your private conversation now and come back to the waiting room.” Sooyoung briefly explains everything and the guys agree with her. They quickly forget about what they just talked about before.

Donghae, Nichkhun, and Sooyoung arrive at the waiting room and at the same time, two doctors accompanied by some nurses, step out from the surgery room with a very sad expression.

“Hyung… how is it? What happens to Yoona? Hyung…” Nichkhun is standing in front of Leetuk and Heechul. They are his seniors in the college and also his mentors as doctor-in-training in SNU hospital. 

Leetuk can’t hide the sadness. He can’t start explaining.

Everyone is waiting for him but it’s Heechul who actually speaks.

“She is still alive.” Heechul makes it really short.

However, everyone knows that there will be bad news so they still can’t celebrate the fact that Yooa is still alive.

“But… we don’t know until when she can survive… we don’t know when she will open her eyes and we don’t even know whether she will open them again or not. She is still in coma and there is a 50:50 chance right now. All that we can do now is praying and waiting.”

Heechul stops and Leetuk continues with “The shock because of the hard collision on her head is too serious and her head is severely injured. Thanks God her brain isn’t really affected… if not… she would die just then. But still…”

“…”

And Leetuk explains everything while everyone is hearing and crying and the same time. Only Kyuhyun and Nichkhun that really understand what happen to Yoona, in a medical way for sure. The others only accept a simple message that Yoona is half died and half alive right now.

“She lost too many bloods… she’s alive and she may open her eyes a minute later, an hour later, a day later, next week, next month, or even next year. However, she may be in coma forever if she doesn’t die…” Heechul adds before leaving the waiting room together with Leetuk and the nurses. 

And everything will begin here.



Yoona feels lost, really lost.

Her eyes are both closed. She knows she is floating in the air right now. It feels like she is falling though. However, she is falling comfortably.

She still can’t open her eyes.

“Where am I?”

She asks herself.

And then she knows she is not falling anymore as she can feel her body is lying on a very soft surface.

“Where am I?”

She asks again.

She tries to remember what happened to her before and she remembers. There was a boy. That boy was on his bike. She was driving really fast. She made a sudden turn. She got an accident. Her head was bleeding that time.

She then remembers that she was lying on the street. She could hardly breathe. Hands… she remembers her hand was held by a hand.

“The boy… did I make it? Did I successfully avoid him?”

“Did I save him?”

“Is he alive?”

Many questions are inside her head right now and finally she opens her eyes. She gets up and sits on the soft surface. She is on the sand beach. She still wears her engagement dress and she feels alright. But there are many weird things actually.

First one is the sky. It’s orange. It’s not blue as usual. And it’s changing colors every few seconds and now it is green.

The second one is the surface she is on right now. She notices that it’s a small imperfect circle island in the middle of a very wide ocean. The water is really beautiful. It’s a very beautiful blue ocean. It’s sparkling. Yoona can smell the refreshing air. The weird thing is the water color isn’t changing as the sky is. Shouldn’t the water reflect the color of the sky?

The sky is purple right now.

And lastly, even though she thinks about the boy.

“Did I save him?”

She doesn’t feel worry.

“Where are my worries though?”

The sky turns yellow.

She doesn’t feel sad. She only feels lost and that’s because she is alone there. At least that’s what she assumes. She doesn’t feel any pain. She isn’t even bleeding. She feels really good physically. She feels light and relaxed.

She is just so calm.

She can only feel the serenity, only serenity.

Right now, the sky is already pink and it keeps changing.

“Where am I?”

She thinks again.

“Is that boy safe? Did I save him?”

She asks herself.

“Where are my worries?”

Yoona observes the sky again and it is blue and it is as green as a forest right now and that’s when someone appears behind her back and greets her.

“Annyeonghaseyo…”

It’s a very calming voice for Yoona’s ears. Yoona turns her head only to surprise herself for seeing someone who is really familiar.

“Hyukkie…” Yoona opens and she exclaims that person’s name but Yoona can’t hear anything. She exclaims once again.

“Hyukkie!”

But the result is just the same. Yoona can’t hear her voice. She can’t produce any sound. And Yoona also notices that this Hyukkie is different from the Hyukkie that she used to know. Hyukkie that she knows is a guy with light brown and a bit longer hair. Hyukkie that she knows is a part-timer in a café and Yoona’s eyes used to see him with casual outfits.

The Hyukkie that is in front of her is sporting a shorter haircut and the color of his hair is black, really black and dark. He is wearing a very white suit. It’s really bright and almost to the point that it is actually shining. He is really bright.

“Hyukkie…” She exclaims only to be disappointed because her voice is still not there.

“Where is my voice?” She ponders.

And that guy is smiling right now.

He is walking towards Yoona and he is kneeling down on one knee in front of her. He caresses her beautiful long straight hair.

“My name is Eunhyuk.” He says and he smiles again.

“Eh? You are Lee Hyukjae, aren’t you?” Yoona exclaims again and she is really sure that she opens . It’s just really her voice that can’t be heard.

“Where is my voice?”

“Where are my worries?”

“Did I save that little boy?”

“Where am I?”

“What is this place?”

“Is this heaven?”



“Hae… let’s go home…” Kyuhyun tells his bestfriend. Kyuhyun is standing near the door.

Donghae doesn’t reply.

Together with Siwon and Sooyoung, the four of them are in Yoona’s hospital room. Sooyoung is standing near Kyuhyun and Siwon is sitting on the couch inside that room. Donghae is sitting on the chair beside the bed. Yoona’s mother fainted and is being treated in another room. Her husband accompanies her at the moment. Nichkhun escorts his parents to the airport because his whole family members are scheduled to fly back to Thailand tonight. Seohyun already went home some minutes ago.

“I want to stay here.” Donghae finally talks.

“But it past midnight already… We need to rest too, let’s comeback tomorrow.” Siwon butts in.

“Then just g-go Siwonnie… I w-won’t leave her… I won’t! I’ll stay here no m-matter what and I’ll wait until s-she opens her eyes.” Donghae responds and the other three notice his trembling voice.

“But we can’t leave you here alone as well… I am afraid… we are afraid th-”

Kyuhyun stops when Donghae suddenly cuts him with.

“I JUST CAN’T EVEN SLEEP RIGHT NOW!!! DON”T YOU UNDERSTAND?!!! I GAVE HER MY CAR KEY!!! I ING GAVE HER MY CAR KEY!”

“…”

Donghae’s voice cracks and he is crying right now.

He blames himself. He feels really guilty. He thinks that everything happens because of him.

“It’s my fault… right? It’s my fault Kyunnie…” Donghae stares at Kyuhyun.

“It’s my fault right? Soo…” Donghae stares at Sooyoung.

“It’s because of me…” He stares at Siwon eventually before his tears dominate him again.

Sooyoung can only sadly stare at Donghae before making a step forward.

“Then promise us you won’t do something stupid Lee Donghae.” Sooyoung opens right now. Her tone is really serious.

Donghae understands what Sooyoung is talking about. The girl then starts explaining.

“Look… you are too kind and sensistive at the same time. You tend to blame yourself for everything that looks bad for you. That’s why we are afraid that you… that you’ll try to do that stupid thing again. So yeah… please Hae, promise that you…” She can’t even spill the words out.

Donghae doesn’t reply anymore though.

“I’ll stay here then.” Kyuhyun then says. “I’ll make sure that he won’t try to commit suicide.” Kyuhyun continues. “Besides, I will have my morning shift later so I’ll just stay here with him.” Kyuhyun adds, explaining that he will keep Donghae away from being too emotional and stupid. Kyuhyun is doctor-in-training in SNU hospital where Yoona is being taken care of right now. Together with Yoona and Nichkhun, they are having their internship periods in here.

“Fine then… I’ll grab some clothes for both of you tomorrow morning.” Siwon says before standing up from his seat and walking to Donghae.

“See you Hae…” Siwon says in a weak tone. Siwon is really hurt by this painful truth too.

“I’ll leave him to you then. See you.” Sooyoung talks to Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun nods. Sooyoung steps out from the room and then walks down the corridor, heading to the lift.

Once she is in front of the lift, she presses the down button and just in a moment, the lift door is opened. No one is in the lift. She enters the lift and presses the lobby button. The lift door is on its way to close before a hand stops it from sliding.

It’s Siwon.

“Gosh… can’t you wait for me?” Siwon exclaims but Sooyoung doesn’t reply. Siwon enters the lift and it’s just the two of them inside it right now. The lift is moving down.

It’s really awkward.

Both don’t talk anymore.

They are bestfriends with Yoona, Donghae, and Kyuhyun but they were bestfriends with each other. They are just simply not right now.

They arrive at the ground floor and the lift door is opened. Sooyoung quickly comes out from the lift and walks to the exit.

“Soo… you don’t bring your car right? Let me drive you home.” Siwon sincerely offers. He is walking behind her.

“As long as there is a cab out there, I think I don’t need a ride, especially from you. Thanks… thank you Siwon-ah.” Sooyoung coldly replies and continues walking. She doesn’t even face him when answering. Siwon is left speechless.

There is a story about this two actually.

Of course there is. If there is not then it will be strange to have Sooyoung acting like this.

There is always a reason.

And there is always someone who is hurt and probably the pain is uncarable.



Yoona and Eunhyuk, as he told Yoona his name is Eunhyuk, are now sitting together on the sand. They are sitting side by side. They are still in the very same place. Yoona has realized that it’s pointless to try to talk because she loses her voice so she just waited there for what will happen next.

The sky is red like a tomato right now.

Then it turns to a bread color.

It’s still changing but the edgeless ocean is still blue.

“Where are my worries?”

Yoona still ponders about it inside her heart.

“Where is my voice?”

She thinks again.

“So… are you ready Yoona-sshi?”

Eunhyuk finally talks to Yoona. He stares at Yoona right now.

The sky is as blues as the ocean but it changes into the lemon color.

Yoona stares back at Eunhyuk. She is completely blank. She doesn’t understand the question nor is able to make a sound to ask back.

“Are you ready to see the heaven?” Eunhyuk speaks once again.

“Your heaven I mean.” He corrects himself.

After hearing that, Yoona understands now. She is dead. She left the world already and she will be in heaven. Or… is she there already?!

“Where are my worries though?”

She doesn’t feel nervous. She doesn’t feel excited.

Serenity.

Only serenity that she feels right now.

It’s so peaceful and calm.

Yoona gives her answer in the end. She is ready she thinks. Thus she nods her head as the sign of “Yes I’m ready.” since she still can’t produce any sound.

The sky is showing a very bright blue color right now.

Eunhyuk then flicks his fingers and suddenly the sand is lifted one by one. The sand is floating and Yoona notices that she is sitting on the water right now. She is on the ocean right now but she isn’t wet. Eunhyuk is still beside her when both of them are slowly drawn into the ocean. They are drawn and Yoona is losing her sense.

Yoona can feel that the water is moving and blowing her body. She feels like falling again. But she knows she is still in the water. She finally loses her consciousness but she is sure she is still falling.

“Am I really going to see the heaven? But… did I save the boy?”

Yoona says to herself.

“Hyukkie… are you really Hyukkie?”



Siwon just went home again after dropping some clothes for Kyuhyun and Donghae. Siwon told Kyuhyun that he’ll be back to accompany Donghae and bring him breakfast as well. Kyuhyun has taken a bath and is now ready to start his morning shift as a doctor-in-training. He already wears his white attire. He comes back to Yoona’s room to see whether Donghae is has gotten up or not. When he enters, he sees no difference actually. Donghae is still sitting on the chair beside Yoona’s bed and he is resting his head on that bed. He is still sleeping soundlessly.

Kyuhyun puts Donghae’s clothes on the couch where Kyuhyun slept before. Kyuhyun put a note for Donghae there as well. Yoona’s dad or stepfather had visited the room before and now he already went back to the other room where his wife rests. His wife got a sudden heart attack due to the shockment of Yoona’s condition. Yoona’s stepfather decided to let Donghae there. Actually, Mr. Im and Mrs. Im, Yoona’s stepparents, know that Donghae loves Yoona.

It is slightly disappointed for both of them that Yoona doesn’t end up with Donghae eventually. However, don’t get them wrong, they are still very happy and grateful for Nichkhun to be Yoona’s boyfriend.

Just… they always think that Donghae is the perfect person for their stepdaughter.

And they, together with Siwon, Sooyoung, and Kyuhyun, are not the only persons who think so. Even Nichkhun thinks that way. Even Nichkhun thinks that Donghae is the perfect one for Yoona.

At first, he doesn’t really notice it.

He thought that Donghae and Yoona, together with Siwon, Sooyoung, and Kyuhyun, are only bestfriends. He even envies their close relationship. But of course, it’s Yoona who attracted him that time. Slowly, he fell in love with her and he forced himself to finally confess. He was more than just being happy when Yoona answered him with a “yes”.

But… after that… he started feeling threatened.

For every new day, he could see that it’s not only friendship that lies on Donghae’s and Yoona’s relationship. It’s more than that and he is afraid about it.

All he could do is always taking care of Yoona and giving her the best because somehow he realized that Donghae loves the same girl and Nichkhun felt like he couldn’t win over Donghae.

Donghae is juts too perfect for Yoona. They are made for each other and they are perfect together. That’s what Nichkhun thinks even now. Thus, he asked Donghae yesterday about it. He really wants to know it. He really wants to believe that it’s just his wild imagination. He wants to deny it but he knows he should hear it straightly from Donghae. He hopes that he was wrong though. He really hopes that he didn’t “steal” Yoona from Donghae.

Nichkhun is walking towards Yoona’s room right now with that hope.

He just finished his mornig visit to his regular patients and he is determined to get the answer from Donghae right now.

Besides, he has something to give to Donghae.



Yoona wakes up in a familiar room. She is getting up from the wooden floor.

She knows this room too well.

It’s the living room of Donghae’s house, well Donghae’s grandmother’s house to be exact. It’s a traditional Korean house and Yoona likes the atmosphere of this house. She stands up and looks around.

“Glad that you are awake now Yoona-sshi.”

Eunhyuk really appears out of nowhere in front of her. They are facing each other in the middle of the room.

“Hyukkie…”

Yoona calls him once again but her voice is still not there.

“Who are you? And what are you? Are you an angel?”

Somehow, Yoona wants to ask this question. Appearance wise, Eunhyuk really looks like Lee Hyukjae, the very shy guy who is Donghae’s and Siwon’s close friend in the middle school that Yoona knows. The difference is just the color of his hair and the hairstyle itself.

The very black and dark hair is really contrast to Eunhyuk’s white suit.

He is still really bright.

“Where is my voice?”

The same question appears again in her mind.

“Where am I? Is this really heaven? It doesn't look like one.”

Yoona asks herself again and she finally gets the answer.

“Where are you right now?” Eunhyuk says, smiles, and caresses Yoona’s hair. Eunhyuk hears everything that Yoona asks inside her heart. Yoona is afraid to hear what Eunhyuk will say next.

“This is afterlife Yoona-sshi."

Eunhyuk concvincingly tells her. He then adds "Didn't I ask you before whether you are ready or not for this?”

“Afterlife?”

Yoona says to herself.

"Where is God? Where are the angels?"

“And where are my worries then?”

“Am I really already dead?”

She continues.

“How about the boy?”

“Is he alive? Is he safe?”

Yoona’s imagination stops when Eunhyuk starts walking and leaving her. Curiousity takes her and she follows Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk is exploring Donghae’s house and that time Yoona realizes that she still doesn’t know why she is here. She wants to know why she is in Donghae’s house if this is really afterlife.

“You just need to wait for a moment. You don’t need to worry because everything will be explained to you Yoona-sshi. Just wait and for now… let’s explore this house.”

Eunhyuk sure knows what are inside Yoona’s mind.

When they are already in the balcony of the second floor, Yoona can see that she is really in the town. She is really in Seoul. The difference is there are only her and Eunhyuk in this city. She can’t see any sign of human being. The city is very silent. It’s already afternoon outside and Yoona can witness a very beautiful sunset.

“If this is really heaven, then heaven is somehow beautiful… but why it is so lonely…”

Yoona thinks inside her mind again because she still can't speak and Eunhyuk responds right after. He is quite responsive this time.

“Because I’m lonely Yoona-sshi…”



Nichkhun doesn’t knock the door and comes in directly. Donghae had taken a bath some time ago and just finished his breakfast. Siwon is there as well. Siwon is the one bringing Donghae his breakfast.

“Khun-ah…” Siwon greets Nichkhun.

“Siwon-ah… good morning.” Nichkhun politely replies.

Nichkhun then proceeds to stand beside Yoona’s bed without greeting Donghae. Nichkhun holds Yoona’s hand. Donghae and Siwon can only observe him from the couch where they are sitting right now. Donghae is drinking his mineral water when Nichkhun finally speaks to him.

“Donghae-ah… I’ll wait in the corridor. We need to finish our latest conversation.”

Nichkhun turns his body and then exits the room. Donghae knows that Nichkhun is persistent so he follows right after. Siwon just stays silent there.

“So… do you love her Hae?”

“Yes I do. We’ve been friends for years Khun. I love her for sure.”

“Not that kind of love Hae. I mean… come on… don’t lie to me. You love her more than just a friend right? I stole her from you right?”

Nichkhun is really insisting.

Donghae feels like being punched on his stomach at the moment he hears that question. The real answer is very short and it’s very simple to say. It is “yes” that comes across Donghae’s mind but he can’t say it. In the end, another denial is delivered.

“Ani… aniyo, you never stole her Khun-ah… she’s yours now and she isn’t mine to begin with. She is just really a precious friend to me.”

“But…”

Nichkhun pauses after that “but”. He continues inside his heart. “But she looked for you that day instead of me. Even when you don’t love her, she always loves you though.” Nichkhun’s heart is breaking by his own thought.

Yesterday, on the engagement day, Nichkhun felt like he lost the battle already. He felt that way because the moment Yoona knew she was an adopthed daughter, she looked for Donghae. She didn’t look for Nichkhun. It was Donghae that was in her mind. It was not Nichkhun and Nichkhun fully realized it.

“Like I said to you… I treasure her since she is my bestfriend Khun. Please… don’t misunderstand our relationship.” Donghae takes the chance to make Nichkhun relieved. Donghae doesn’t know that Nichkhun’s anxiety won’t be resolved, ever.

Nichkhun decides to stop being so persistent.

Even though he knows that Donghae is lying, he just let it be like that because he wanted to own Yoona as well. He is angry over his selfishness. But, is it really selfish to want to own the girl you love?!

Nichkhun gives a little smile.

“Neh… sorry Hae. I’m sorry for saying and asking stupid things.”

Donghae nods and he is relieved that he manages to deceive Nichkhun. Well, he doesn’t success at deceiving Nichkhun though. Donghae is the one being deceived because Nichkhun knows the truth.

Donghae knows that lying will only hurt himself but he just can’t admit his true feelings. It’ll just complicate the things. Besides, he wants everybody to be happy and he doesn’t like the idea of hurting people so he gives in even when he is hurting himself so badly.

“By the way, the administration officer said that your car insurance company sent it.” Nichkhun hands Donghae a photo album.

Donghae takes it. He has been waiting for this album actually. Yesterday he got called by the car insurance company and the only thing that was still ok after the accident is this photo album. He asked the company to send it to the hospital. The album is very important for him. The album witnessed his precious period of life with his bestfriends that’s why he is very grateful that the album is alright.

“Thanks Khun.”

Donghae replies and Nichkhun excuses himself to start his duty like Kyuhyun.

Little do they know, they are being observed by a girl from the other side of the corridor. Yes, a girl is watching them, a girl with a long dark brown hair.

She curves a smile.

She plans something.

And she’ll execute the plan very soon.

~TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY FOR YOONA~

She was only 4 years old. Yoona was playing with her friends in the garden of a church when a sister called her.

“Yoona-yahhh… come here my dear.”

Yoona left the other orphans. She was indeed an orphan. Somehow, she was already in the orphanage and no one knew who left her there in the front of the church when she was still a baby. There was a note with her that time, a note with her name and age on it.

“Yoona, 4 months…”

And also a little information.

“Her mother died after giving birth to her. Her father was just gone. Please take a good care of her.”

It was even rainy that night when the sisters who managed the orpahanage found Yoona in a baby basket. Baby Yoona wasn’t crying though. She was all smiling when the sisters bring her inside the orphanage. And her dad was right… even when she was still a baby, Yoona had a very endearing eyes.

And today… today is a very important day for Yoona. She was adopted. A family would take her.

The Ims family adopted her.

She still didn’t understand a thing that time. She was only told that Mr. Im and Mrs. Im would be her parents and she was really happy for that. She was too happy that she forgot that they weren’t her real parents. She grew up forgetting that fact and Mr. Im and Mrs. Im also never unveiled the truth. Thus it would really hurt when everything uncovered.


**********

A/N
Apologize for this slow progress... I would like to write more but I'll just save them for later. Kekekeke. So... the album and the mysterious girl will start taking their roles in the story (you should have known who this girl is... JSY is her initial kekekeke...) they are really important kekeke. And for Yoona... her adventure in heaven will be starting as well... Will Yoona and Donghae end up together?! You should have known the answer. Thanks everyone.

Sorry for any mistakes and comments are always loved.