Chance 6

Heaven, Happiness, & Chance [HIATUS]

 

CHANCE #SIX
“Am I loser? Do I really lose?”



Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


“I’ll inform you if there is a significant progress with your cousin’s condition.” Kyuhyun tells to his girlfriend.

“Neh. I’ll go now and come back this afternoon after the lectures.” Seohyun replies and waves to Donghae, Siwon, and Sooyoung before hugging Kyuhyun.

“Are your parents coming?” Kyuhyun asks after breaking the hug.

“I don’t know whether they will make it today or not. I think they’ll arrive in Korea tomorrow.” Seohyun answers and finally leaves. Kyuhyun comes back to the room but he doesn’t sit beside Siwon. He walks to Donghae’s side and he notices a photo there when Donghae is about to turn to the other page. Kyuhyun even snatches the album.

“Wasn’t it the first time we met Nichkhun? You looked so sad and bored Sooyoungie.” Kyuhyun comments while showing the photo to both Siwon and Sooyoung.

“Really? I can’t really recall though.” Sooyoung replies, denying the fact that she really looked pissed in that photo.

“Yes, it was. Donghae introduced him to us. Neh, Hae?” Siwon looks to Donghae.

“Ahhh... hmmm... I think so.” Donghae weakly says and Kyuhyun gives the album back to him.

Donghae cancels his plan to turn to the other page and deeply looks at the photo that Kyuhyun talked about just right now.

“So I was the one who introduced Khun to Yoona?”

Donghae talks to himself, recalling how he introduced Nichkhun to his friends. Suddenly, even though he knows it is so weird to think that way, he comes to conclusion that probably everything will be different today if he never intoroduced Nichkhun to Yoona that day.

He wants to resist that kind of thinking but the more he tries to, the stronger this thinking is.

“Would you like to try?”

Donghae knows in instant that Jessica is there again. The girl is sitting between Siwon and Kyuhyun who are freezing as usual everythime she appears in that room.

“But can I really do this?” Donghae asks Jessica.

“I mean... I think it’s not a right option... Isn’t it unfair for Khun?” He continues.

“But maybe you can really change what we see today if you didn’t introduce him to her, right?” Jessica argues.

“Maybe... If you didn’t introduce them to each other, you will end up with her and she won’t get into this accident. Who knows?! It depends on how you change the past after all.” Said Jessica again.

After hearing this, Donghae convinces himself that he should take this chance. In the end, he just need to avoid Nichkhun when he gets back to the past so he won’t introduce him to Yoona and the rest of his friends.

“Is it too cruel?” He ponders but after that he stares to Jessica, indicating that he is ready to take the road to the past.

And again, with only one flick from her fingers, Jessica sends Donghae to that time.

...

It was a rainy night, on May 30th.

“Please doctor... Take care of them both...” Said the man.

“We’ll try our best.” The very young doctor who just started working in that hospital answered.

A pregnant woman, the man’s wife, was in a very weak condition when the time to deliver came. The man had visited three hospitals but all of them rejected to take the woman because there was no capable doctor to do the job there.

Luckily, at the fourth hospital, the woman got accepted in the ICU.

The man waited outside the surgery room.

He was very exhausted.

He prayed so that his wife and his baby were going to be alright.

...

“Doctor, it would be difficult for her to deliver the baby. We can only save the mother, not the baby.” A nurse informed the doctor.

The young doctor thought to himself. He was about to tell the nurse to save the mother, following the suggestion when a hand reached to his hand.

“S-save the b-baby t-too... p-please...”

That woman pleaded.

It sounds so weak.

It really sounds so weak.

“We r-really w-want t-the b-baby.” She continues.

It was very common for doctors that in a condition when it was hard to save both the mother and the baby then they should save the mother but somehow, this young doctor was touched by the mother’s request.

“Neh... we’ll save both of you...”

The doctor said and so... they did the surgery to save the baby and the mother.

...

About one hour later, one of the nurses came out with a baby. A beautiful baby girl was born today and she was immediately put in the same room with the other newly born babies.

The man, that baby’s father was looking from the glass wall.

He was smiling. He was happy when what he heard next was the death of his wife.

“We had done all the best we could do but we could only save the baby.” The doctor said.

“She lost too many bloods in the process...” was the explanantion. 


...

“Doctor Choi... Is that really you?”

“Doctor Choi...”

Yoona calls again, still confused.

“Neh.” This doctor is still backfacing Yoona.

“So it’s you.” Yoona sighs in relief. “It’s been...” She tries to speak.

“Almost 6 months... It’s been almost 6 months since the last time we saw each other.” The doctor says and Yoona doesn’t really pay attention to the fact that she is in the afterlife.

“Wait... wait, wait...” Yoona gets the idea right now.

“That means... that means you had died then... We meet here now... In this heaven. Oh my God...” Yoona turns speechless.

“When did you die? Why I didn’t know about this.” Yoona says to herself as the doctor turns around to face her.

...

It was the first day of Yoona’s internship. She wanted to be a pediatrician actually so there she was in the Mother and Child Department of the hospital.

She met the doctor there. He was the head doctor in that department. He was 45 years old.

His name was Choi Seunghyun. He looked really cold but he had a very warm heart actually. He looked really charismatic actually. He was very considerate and he guided the young doctors, taking internship, including Yoona.

“Im Yoona imnida...”

Yoona introduced herself. Upon hearing that name, the doctor looks a bit surprised.

“Choi Seunghyun imnida. Starting today, you’ll be under my guidance Yoona-sshi. Let’s work hard and smart together.”

“Neh, thank you very much.”

Yoona simply replied and that marked the day she started her internship period there.

...

Months later, Yoona just arrived at the hospital in the very beautiful morning. Nichkhun just left her as he was an intern at different department. Before going to visit her patients, suddenly Yoona was being called to the surgery room.

“Doctor Choi, what happen?”

“I need you to do the anesthesia for a surgery now.”

“Right now?”

“Neh, I know it was too sudden but just prepare yourself and join me in the surgery room.”

Yoona followed doctor Choi’s instruction.

She then did the anesthesia. The patient was a boy. That boy was smiling... very weakly. Yoona knew this boy actually. His name was Wang Seokhyun. Yoona often saw him in the hospital. She also knew that he was doctor Choi’s patient. But that’s all what she knew. She wanted to know more.

“This boy... what happened to him?” Yoona asked doctor Choi.

“I can’t tell you now. It is confidential.” Doctor Choi replied and added “You can go now...”

“Eh??? But I thought I’ll be helping you with the surgery.”

“I need you for the anesthesia only. I told you that, right?”

“Ahh... ehmmm... neh.”

Yoona can only agreed. It felt weird but then she left the surgery room. Curiousity filled her. She wanted to know what happened to that little boy actually but later that day... she knew that the boy had passed out. The surgery couldn’t help him.


...

When they are facing each other, Yoona is stunned once again. Sure she is familiar with the back figure of the doctor but right now, it’s confusing to see the young doctor Choi. He is really handsome, even when he was the 45 years old man, Yoona always admires this good-looking doctor. Now, as she is looking the 25 years old version of doctor Choi, she just continues being wordless.

“You look younger...” She mumbles and forgets about her previous attempt to know why the doctor died.

“There is a reason why I want to look younger in front of you. This is my heaven after all. I can be what I want to be.” The doctor replied.

“...”

Silence again.

“Don’t tell me... oh my... how can... doctor... I wonder why?!” Yoona is really thrilled. “After the wildfire in the hospital you were suddenly transferred to Busan. I know we didn’t keep in touch but I thought everything was alright. I mean... after you left the hospital... there was nothing much I can do. I was really helpless without your guidance. All that I did in the hospital was only surviving. So... I’m afraid... really afraid to know what... what is the reason...”

She is trembling.

“What is the r-reason for m-me to be here in y-your heaven? Why did you die? W-when?”

She is really afraid. She is scared that it was the same case as the tanned-girl that she was the cause of doctor Choi’s death.

“Am I the cause of your death?”

Yoona asks and the doctor smiles.

...

It was a very sunny day, about 7 months ago.

Everyone in the hospital didn’t have any idea that there was an electrical shorting that sparked the fire in the drugs warehouse that happened to be near the Mother and Child Department of the hospital.

What everyone knew next was, the fire was really going uncontrollable and wild. It was also known that two persons were missing. Everyone was panic while the firefighters are trying to rescue the two missing doctors.

“Yoona!!! Yoona!!! Where are you?!!! YAHHH!!!” Doctor Choi shouted in the middle of the smoke. It was getting harder to breathe.

He opened the office and there he found Yoona, already fell unconsciously on the floor. Only after that, he realized that the ceiling are falling down because of the fire. Doctor Choi hurriedly covered Yoona and unfortunately, by doing so, he couldn’t save his own head from getting hit heavily by the ceiling.

His head was bleeding but he could save Yoona. The fire grew bigger. He tried to lift Yoona up but because of his bleeding head, doctor Choi was slowly going senseless.

That time he fell on the floor, the firefighters found them.

Both of them were then saved.

Yoona never knew about how doctor Choi saved her. It was his request and all Yoona knew is that the firefighters saved her that day.


...

“Haechi...”

Donghae just opened his eyes. He is in the class’ balcony, enjoying the fresh air in the morning when he can hear Yoona’s voice. He is in the past again, for one mission, avoiding Nichkhun Horvejkul. The class hasn’t started yet.

“Neh. Waeyoo?” Donghae doesn’t face Yoona. Yoona joins him in the balcony. They are both viewing the bright sky.

“Here. A gift from your fan. A girl from the other class named... hmmm... aigooo... what is it again?! Emmm...”

Yoona still can’t recall the girl’s name but Donghae already takes the gift.

“Yahhh! Look at you, I don’t even tell you the name yet and you already took it.”

“It is for me anyway.” Donghae argues.

“Aishhh, shame on you Haechi.”

“Fine... fine... I’ll give it back to you. Here.” Donghae hands the gift again.

“Hahahaha! I’m kidding Lee Donghae! I believe it’s Goo Hara. She is our junior.” Finally Yoona can remember the girl’s name but of course Donghae isn’t interested. Yoona doesn’t take the gift.

“Who is she? I mean... Do you personally know her?” Donghae asks while opening the gift.

“Not sure... she is in the same class with Hyunnie my cousin. Seohyun introduced her to me and she said she is your fan because you are the captain of the basketball team. She really needs some eyes surgery, kekeke.” Yoona teases Donghae.

“Owyahhh, what does that mean Im Yoona?!” Donghae stares at her before finding out that the gift is a chunk of tiramisu cake. There is a red cherry on top of that cake. 

“Whoaaa, it looks delicious.” Donghae says and when he is about to eat it, Yoona stops him again.

“You don’t even say thank you to her and you will eat it now... where is your manner? Kekekeke.”

“Aishhhh!!! Im Yoona!!! You are really annoying, bwahahahaha! Just tell me if you want it too. I know it. I can see it from your eyes.” Said Donghae.

“Will you give it to me then?”

“In one condition.”

“What?”

“Stay with me for the whole day...” Donghae stares deeply at Yoona’s eyes. Yoona is caught off guard with the sudden weird request.

“Eee-eeehhh?” Yoona is speechless. She adds “What do you mean?”

“Nothing... just... I want to spend my time more with you. Like we used to be.” Donghae’s voice sounds so serious.

“Well... I think it’s fair. Give me the cake now. Keke.” Yoona says and Donghae happily hands the cake to her.

“It’s a deal Lee Donghae. Don’t take it back.”

“Just eat it already, kekeke.” Donghae smiles.

What he really means actually is he wants Yoona to be by his side so Yoona won’t meet Nichkhun that day. He thinks that if they don’t get introduced today by him then everything will be different in the future. Will the mission be fulfilled though?

“Aahhhh... Being your childhood friend, every girl in this school asks me these kind of things.” Yoona brings a topic while eating the cake.

“Not my fault that I’m popular. Kekeke.” Replied Donghae and both of them are viewing the sky again from the balcony.

“But is it ok?” Said Yoona.

“Ok what?”

“Not to tell directly... I mean...” Yoona takes a glance at Donghae. Donghae is waiting for Yoona to finish that statement.

“Nevermind...” Concluded Yoona.

“Weirdo...” Donghae teases Yoona this time.

“I am...” Yoona only replies with a smile.

“...”

“Yoona-yah...” Donghae takes the chance. He is staring at her. He takes Yoona’s attention.

“Neh?” Asked Yoona.

“I... I h-have s-something to c-confess...”

“...”

“Spill it Donghae!!! Come on!!!” Donghae scolds himself inside his heart. His innerself pushes him to confess now, right now.

“I... l-lo...”

“KRINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!”

Poor Donghae as both of them are surprised by the ring of the bell.

“Nevermind...” Donghae concludes and enters the classroom. Yoona stays in the balcony, finishing the cake before following him.

The class starts while Donghae is still worried about his mission. He feels guilty actually.

“Am I loser to take this way?” He says to himself.

...

“I also have so many questions actually.” Doctor Choi says. “About my life. About this and about that. About everything...” He doesn’t answer Yoona’s previous question.

“Why did I do that? What will happen if I did this instead of that? These questions.... are always hunting me.” He continues and he starts walking.

Yoona follows him from behind while Seunghyun opens one of the door in that room. Yoona enters the room in the next door and she is a bit surprised by the sudden change. It’s not the hospital where she works as an intern anymore. It isn’t SNU hospital. It is a different hospital and they are in front of the babies’ incubator room.

“This is where I worked before becoming the head of our department in SNU hospital.” Doctor Choi starts explaining.

“Do you know...” Seunghyun walks closer to the incubator.

“My father, my mother, my sister, my grandfather, my grandmother, my uncle, my cousins, almost everyone in my family are doctors. They were very successful doctors.” Said Seunghyun.

“This was the very main reason of why I became a doctor. I wanted to be like them. I wanted to be a succesful doctor. You too right?”

Yoona admits it but she doesn’t spill a word. There are several babies in that incubator.

“I wanted to save as many life as I can. I wanted to be a great doctor. And to be a great doctor, we need to put aside our feelings. I always tell you that right?! I always tell this to all of the interns. Don’t get consumed by your feelings.”

Yoona admits it once again. She remembers it for sure. She remembers how Seunghyun always stresses that becoming a great doctor need no feelings. She hears it everyday in the hospital from Seunghyun.

“But I wonder about it doctor, I don’t understand why. Frankly, I don’t get that idea.” Yoona finally speaks after some time of being quiet. “I mean... no feelings? Should we really put our feelings away?”

“Feelings will fail you. Feelings will make you forget that there are always procedures that you should follow as a doctor. There is a rule and law for becoming a doctor Yoona... and feelings make you forget about those rules and laws.”

“I don’t understand doctor...”

“Take me as an example...” Doctor Choi cuts Yoona. Yoona is ready to listen to him.

“Because of my feelings... I killed your mother...” Said this Choi Seunghyun and Yoona widens her beautiful endearing eyes after hearing that.

“You what??? M-my mother?”

“Neh... I killed your mother who gave birth to you... your real biological mother. I am the one who killed her.”

...

“KRIIINGGGGGGG”

The bell for break rings.

“Let’s grab some food! I’m so hungry.” Siwon says.

“I pass this time. I have a date with my boyfriend.” Sooyoung declares, much to Siwon’s discouragement.

“Boyfriend? Who? I thought you already broke up with that Chinese college guy last week.” Yoona raises her eyebrows.

“Let me rephrase my sentence then. I will have a lunch with my new boyfriend.” Sooyoung states and everyone has no other option beside staring blankly at her.

“See you all!” Sooyoung waves and leaves the four of them.

Donghae and Yoona can notice Siwon’s changing expression while Kyuhyun keeps reading a book.

“Should we go to the cafeteria now?” Donghae makes a sound.

“Ahhh neh neh... sure. Let’s go.” Siwon tries to hide his broken heart. They then leave the class, heading to the cafeteria.

Siwon is walking in the front, followed by Yoona and Donghae and Kyuhyun is following them, he is still reading his book.

“Remember your promise... stay close with me.” Donghae whispers.

“Neh... I get it Haechi. But it doesn’t mean I should go with you if you go to the restroom right? Kekeke.” Both are laughing.

Donghae can’t really recall but he is sure that he will probably meet Nichkhun during this break time. He walks carefully. He doesn’t want to meet him. Even just an eye-contact, he doesn’t want it to happen. There, he saw Nichkhun in front of their way.

“Guys! Let’s take this way.” Donghae asks everyone so they will change their direction.

“Eh? Why? We are going to the cafeteria right?” Siwon questions him.

“Hmmmm...” Donghae is looking for an excuse when he figures out that the way he wants his friends to follow is the way to the infirmary room.

“I suddenly got a stomachache. I need some medicine.” Reasoned Donghae.

“Aishhhh... fine, let’s go.” Siwon grumbles and everyone goes to the infirmary room first before going to the cafeteria. Thus far, he succeeds at avoiding Nichkhun and by doing so, the probability that he will introduce Yoona to Nichkhun decreases.

The four of them are finally in the cafeteria. They have their meals already and are looking for an empty table.

“There... that table is empty. Let’s go there.” Siwon points an empty table but again, Donghae notices that Nichkhun and his friends occupy the next table to that empty table. Donghae quickly scans the cafeteria and he finds another empty table, a bit far from where they are now. He notices that Sooyoung is near that table.

“How about that one?” Donghae indicates that another table.

“We’re closer to this one, Hae.” Siwon argues.

“But...” Donghae is looking for an excuse again. “Hmmmm... that one is at the side of the window. We can enjoy the scenery there... kekeke. Please...”

“Aishhh... whatever. Your stomachache sure affects your brain. Quickly eat and take your medicine.” Siwon says, sighing while Yoona only smiles. Kyuhyun is still and always reading his book.

Siwon sits and it’s the perfect position for him to see Sooyoung and his new boyfriend, Lee Minho, another popular guy in the school.

“Sooyoung is really smart at picking some guys for her.” Siwon says more like he is pissed off actually.

Kyuhyun sits beside him and Donghae and Yoona take the other side of the table. They smile to Sooyoung before start eating.

It’s just very sudden and the next thing Kyuhyun, Donghae, and Yoona know is Siwon already leaves the table saying “I don’t have any appetite.” They don’t ask any further. They just let him go. They continue eating, wondering what happens to Siwon.

Yoona guesses that seeing how Sooyoung is acting sweetly with this Lee Minho is the cause. Some minutes later, Kyuhyun finishes his lunch and he excuses himself to the library. He needs to borrow another book as if the book that he is reading is not enough. Only Yoona and Donghae are there now.

Donghae is drawn by his own thoughts.

“Am I a loser?” He asks again to himself.

He knows that avoiding Nichkhun is actually ridiculous. He is acting like a kid who will lose his precious toy this time around. He also feels guilty but he can’t help it. At least, he doesn’t want to be the one who introduces Nichkhun to Yoona, not him when he is so in love with Yoona.

“Am I loser Hae?”

“Neh?”

Suddenly Yoona asks Donghae.

“Am I a loser if I keep holding something?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean... is it ok to not tell someone about what you really want to tell to that person?”

Donghae thinks before giving his answer to Yoona’s question.

“Well... it depends.” Donghae answers and he continues. “I think it really depends Yoona-yah. For me...” He pauses. “If I’m going to hurt that person by saying what I want to say then probably I’ll just keep holding it.” He stares at Yoona.

“If the thing I want to say may hurt me then what should I do?” Asked Yoona again.

“May hurt you? So... you can be hurt as well?”

“Neh. I think I may be hurt as well by saying the thing to that person. There is a chance I’ll be hurt.” Yoona convinces Donghae.

“Then don’t!” Donghae quickly answers.

“Why?”

“Because I don’t want to see you hurting yourself. Isn’t it obvious?” Donghae assures Yoona. The girl is smiling now but inside her heart, she is feeling not assured. Actually, she just talked about her true feelings towards Donghae, about how she wants to tell him that she loves him so much. Well, Donghae was right though, it may hurt Yoona if in the end Donghae doesn’t feel the same. Unknown to them, they are just continuing exchanging signals without even knowing that they are loving each other.

“I see... thanks Haechi. By the way, you are acting kinda weird this whole day. What’s wrong with you? It feels like you are avoiding something today. Tell me Haechi, is there something bothering you?”

“Ani... aniyo... keke. You are too much but I’m really glad you are so caring about me, kekeke.”

“Whatever...” is Yoona’s next word.

“Sooyeon-sshi.” Suddeenly Yoona notices someone, a girl, passing their table.

“Jung Sooyeon-sshi.” She calls that girl again.

Sooyeon looks a bit surprised as she faces Yoona and Donghae.

“Are you looking for a table?” Yoona stands up and politely asks.

“N-neh.” Sooyeon answers but her voice is so low that Yoona can barely hear her.

“Then join us.” Yoona makes a request.

Sooyeon thinks about it before saying “T-thank you Yoona-sshi but I’m o-ok. I’ll just s-sit by myself. Thank y-you once again.” Said Sooyeon before leaving.

Yoona sits again only to get questioned by Donghae.

“Do you know her?”

“Neh. She was my classmate in junior high school.”

“Ahhh... you never introduced her to us.”

“Because... I don’t know actually... ever since then... she was so mysterious. She rarely went to school and beside she is in different class. People said she was sick. I want to be her friend actually because she always looks so lonely but I don’t know why... everytime I tried to approach her, there’s something that hold me back. Not that I’m scared. I don’t know...”

“I see and yeah... she looks so pale. Let’s hope she is just fine.” Donghae concludes and Yoona only nods. Both are continuing eating. They don’t talk anymore and Donghae is the one who finishes his lunch first. He is waiting for Yoona to finish hers when the girl voices out.

“I’m full already.” Said Yoona.

“Yah! You don’t even finish your food.”

“But I’m really full. I think it’s because I ate the cake this morning.”

“But leaving your food like that isn’t good Yoongieaaah...”

“Then... would you be so kind as to finish them for me? Keke.” Yoona begs for Donghae to help her finish her lunch.

“Yah! Am I your trash can?!” Donghae protests.

“Aaaaaahh...” Yoona opens as she is trying to feed Donghae right now. Donghae tries to avoid the chopticks.

“Haechi... you said it’s not good to not finish our lunch... why won’t you help me?” Yoona pouts.

“Aigooo, even so... I didn’t tell you I’m going to help you to finish your lunch, did I?!”

“Aaaaaaaahhh...” Yoona tries again. “Please...”

And finally Donghae takes the food from the chopticks. Yoona keeps feeding him and they are happily spending their time together until the class starts again.

Donghae knows he can avoid Nichkhun thus far. However, he also knows his biggest challenge will be coming after the school and even though the guilty feelings keep growing bigger inside his heart, he convinces himself to just bear with it.

...

If “shocked” is enough to describe what Yoona feels right now then let it be the right word. Unfortunately, she is far beyond that state. Hearing about her real mother, hearing about her being killed, and knowing that someone who she really respects is the killer are so mindblowing.

“You k-killed h-her???”

Yoona can only say that. Even though it’s mindblowing, the fact that she never knew about her real biological mother makes this news sound like a joke at the same time actually.

“T-then... what should I do if y-you killed her? I don’t even know who she is. Should I care about it?”

“I don’t know either. You can slap me if you want.” Seunghyun replies.

“Why should I?”

“I killed your mother. Isn’t it enough to be the reason for you to be angry at me?”

“How d-did you kill her t-then?”

“I told you... my feelings did.”

“Doctor Choi... please... don’t kid around... you know what I’m talking about...”

Seunghyun bitterly smiles before answering.

“Neh... I’ll show you how I killed your mother but before that...” His face turns sad. “I think you are curious about how I died.”

All of the sudden, what Yoona sees isn’t the incubator room again. It changes rapidly. There is a nurse in front of her, walking in a corridor of another hospital. It looks really real. It looks like a real movie that is being played in front of her.

“It was two weeks before your engagement day. It took place in one of the hospitals in Busan.” Seunghyun explains to Yoona about what she is going to see.

...

The nurse entered a room.

“Doctor Choi... excuse me...”

The nurse greeted the patient in that room but the patient can’t give any answer. The patient’s name was Choi Seunghyun and he was 46 years old that time.

The nurse helped the then-doctor and now-patient to sit on his bed. The nurse fed him with his breakfast. After that, the nurse excused herself to leave and promised to be back again later.

Seunghyun didn’t have any person to really take care of him. Her parents both were died already. He didn’t have a child. His wife died several years ago because of fetus cancer which was the reason why she couldn’t be pregnant. His other relatives knew and visited him once in a while but actually... even he himself knew that there is no hope left for him.

The nurse met another nurse in the corridor.

“How was he?” The second nurse asked.

“Same. Nothing changed. I don’t think he can survive any longer. His condition is only getting worsened and worsened day by day.” The first nurse replied.

“It was really a pity. He was a famous doctor before the accident happened. Is it true?” The second nurse talked again.

“Neh... I heard he saved one of an intern student when there was a wildfire in SNU hospital. His head got hit that day. At first, it seemed like everything was ok but later on, he found out that because of that hit on his head, he suffered major brain concussion and injury.”

“Really?!!!” The second nurse looked shocked.

“Neh. And you know what? In order to not make everyone in SNU hospital worried doctor Choi decided to come to here and get treated in here instead. Ever since then, his condition are just getting worse. He can’t move his body now. His respiratory system is affected as well. He is really paralyzed. It is his brain that is damaged after all. It was actually a secret so please just keep it between the two of us.” The first nurse explained.

The second nurse only nods.


...

Everything is gone again. What Yoona sees right now is the incubator again.

“Later that day, the next time that nurse visited my room. I already died... silently... alone.”

Seunghyun tells Yoona.

Yoona can only stare at him after he says that. Her expression seems like she is telling “I’m sorry to hear that.” But there is also something that bugs her mind. Something that she is sure about.

“Why...?” is what comes out from Yoona’s mouth. “Why didn’t you tell me? Why doctor?” Added Yoona. “Why didn’t you tell me about this? Why did you hide? And...” She is crying a lot now. Her tears are falling non stop. It hurts her so much just to imagine about it, about what the nurses were talking about. “Is it me the intern that they meant?” She asks to herself.

“I didn’t tell you because I don’t want to burden you all. You see... I don’t like being a patient of those whom I know. Therefore I left SNU hospital.”

Yoona only cries. Her eyes are closed.

“...”

She can’t really absorb the explanantion. She is more concerned about the chance that she could be the intern that caused doctor Choi’s head to get hit.

“T-that intern... that intern that you saved... it was me, wasn’t it?”

And as an answer, Yoona can feel some heat. She opens her eyes and the incubator room has changed again. It is reenacting the scene when Seunghyun was saving her.

The moment when she sees how the ceiling falls and hits Seunghyun’s head, she decides to look away and automatically the incubator room appears again.

“I’m sorry doctor... I’m really sorry...”

“...”

“In t-the e-end... I w-was also the c-cause of y-your d-death... but why??? There a-are so m-many w-whys that I w-want to ask you...” Said the sobbing Yoona.

...

School has ended and Donghae is more worried now. He remembers that he will have basketball exercise today. It’s an extracurricular activity. What makes him worried is Nichkhun will be there as well. He’ll meet Nichkhun as the latter joined the basketball club yesterday.

“Kyaaaa!!! Siwon jjang!!!”

“KYAAAA!!!”

Siwon’s fangirls are everywhere, watching him playing in the outdoor basketball court.

From a far, Donghae can see Yoona and Sooyoung are coming closer.

“Will you wait for us?” Donghae asks the girls when the distance is close enough for them to hear each other.

“We’ll just go to the cafe and wait you, Siwon, and Kyuhyun there.” Sooyoung replies.

“Get it, see you!” Donghae waves and the girls leave that court.

While walking at the edge of the court, Yoona incidentally makes an eye-contact with someone. That guy is so good-looking. It’s not even 5 seconds and Yoona looks away from that pair of eyes. They are Nichkhun’s eyes.

Nichkhun is captivated by Yoona’s presence when the girl is talking with Donghae so he can’t help but to follow the owner of that beautiful eyes.

The original version of what happens on this day if Donghae doesn’t change anything is simple actually. At the moment, Donghae, altogether with Siwon and Kyuhyun, and of course Nichkhun, are in extracuricular activitiy for their basketball club. Yoona and Sooyoung are going to where Hyukjae works, the Venus-Hyoyeon cafe. The girls will wait for the boys there. As usual, they will be hanging out in the cafe. They always do that.

By the time the practice ends, as a kind person and good captain, Donghae decides to throw a welcome party for Nichkhun as a new student and new member of basketball club. This is the very reason why he introduces Nichkhun to Yoona.

So right now, his mission is just to ignore Nichkhun and doesn’t bring him to the cafe. Donghae forgets about another possibility though.

“Bye!!!”

“Bye.. thanks for today!”

“See you!”

Everyone is saying goodbye as the practice ends.

“DHUARRR!!!” Suddenly there is a thunder.

“Hurry, it’s going to rain...” Siwon orders Donghae and Kyuhyun.

“Neh...” Donghae answers.

“Captain!” Donghae turns to see who called him just right now. He hopes it’s not Nichkhun but he was wrong. It was him after all.

“Neh... Nichkhun-sshi. Waeyooo?”

“I just want to thank you for welcoming me. I hope I can contribute to the team.” Nichkhun says politely and bows.

“It’s alright.” Donghae says and his tone sounds a bit cold.

“Let’s go.” Exclaimed Siwon.

“Bye Nichkhun-sshi...” Siwon and Kyuhyun bit their goodbye to Nichkhun. Nichkhun replies by waving back to them.

By the time they are about to exit the locker room. The rain has started. Everyone takes out their umbrellas and one by one leave the locker room. Well, Nichkhun doesn’t bring his umbrella and Donghae notices that. Donghae forgets that it will be raining on this day and Nichkhun doesn’t bring umbrella. He doesn't consider about this possibility.

Siwon and Kyuhyun call Donghae from outside and with the determination to avoid Nichkhun, Donghae decides to leave him there, alone, waiting for the rain to stop.

As the three of them passing the school gate, Siwon notices that there’s something that bothers Donghae.

“Hae... what’s wrong? You look worried.”

Kyuhyun pays his attention to Donghae as well.

“Nothing...” Answered Donghae and he lied for sure. He is still thinking about Nichkhun. Donghae actually doesn’t have the heart to leave him like that. Usually, he’ll be more than willing to help a friend and to give his umbrella. He mocks himself inside his heart.

“Am I loser by doing this?” Donghae talks with himself.

“Siwon, Kyu... just go first. There’s something I left in the locker room. Just wait me in the cafe. See you.” Said Donghae and he runs as fast as possible.

On his way to the locker room, he thinks about how stupid he is to do this. However, here he is, in front of the locker room. He can see Nichkhun. Their eyes meet.

“Captain...”

“Just call me Donghae or Hae, Nichkhun-sshi.”

“Ah neh...”

“Here... take this umbrella with you.” Donghae hands the umbrella but Nichkhun refuses.

“Just take it Nichkhun-sshi. Bye.” Donghae puts the umbrella beside the door and he runs, leaving the school again and heading to the cafe.

“Yahhh! Donghae-sshi!!! Hey!!!” Nichkhun calls but Donghae is fast. He’s gone from his sight already.

Nichkhun doesn’t have any option but to use the umbrella.

Donghae arrives at the cafe, completely wet. Yoona quickly takes care of him.

“Aigooo, where is your umbrella? I bet you gave it to your friend again.” Yoona says while Hyukjae gives a towel to her. She wipes Donghae’s wet hair.

“I’ll bring some spare clothes here if you want Hae.” Said Kyuhyun.

“Neh, may I borrow it?” Donghae asks and Kyuhyun gives him the clothes as the answer.

Meanwhile, Nichkhun is walking alone with Donghae’s umbrella in his hand. He is suddenly feeling hungry so he decides to enter a cafe that is close to where he is now.

Yoona, Siwon, and Kyuhyun are laughing to Sooyoung’s joke. Donghae is still changing his clothes when suddenly Hyukjae exclaims.

“Welcome...”

And the warm greeting is followed by “Nichkhun-sshi!!!” from Siwon.

“Ahh... Siwon-sshi.”

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m walking home actually. My apartment is in this direction. I suddenly feel hungry so I decide to buy something here.” After saying that, Nichkhun realizes that Yoona is there too.

“Then join us here.” Siwon requests. “You guys are ok, right?” He asks the others.

“Sure.” Kyuhyun replies while Sooyoung and Yoona are only nodding.

“Let’s make a welcoming party for Nichkhun kekeke.” Kyuhyun adds.

“Can I really join you?” Nichkhun asks.

“Of course. Come here.” Siwon replies happily.

“Neh... thank you.” Said the Thai and at the same time, Donghae comes out from the rest room.

“Hae... Nichkhun-sshi is here too, let’s throw a welcoming party for him.” Siwon says.

Donghae is of course shocked. He doesn’t expect this. He doesn’t want to accept this as well. He turns speechless and says “Neh...” weakly before joining the others.

“How about you introduce him to us Lee Donghae!” Sooyoung requests.

“Why me?”

“Because you are the captain, keke.” Even though Donghae doesn’t want to do it, he can’t deny it. He just can’t. He introduces him to Sooyoung first and now it will be Yoona’s turn.

“Nichkhun-sshi... t-this... this is Yoona...”

Donghae pauses.

“Yoona-yah... t-this is N-nichkhun.”

Yoona and Nichkhun bow to each other. And in the end... Donghae realizes that it is him who introduces them again.

“Hey, let’s take a picture as a commemoration for Nichkhun’s welcoming party.” Sooyoung suggests and everyone agrees and that’s when Siwon’s phone rings. He takes the phone.

“Neh... yobosaeyo... ahhh... Fany-ah, your plane just arrived??!!! Ok2... I’ll pick you up then. See you. Really miss you and can’t wait to see you again.” And Siwon ends the call after that.

Yoona can notice that Sooyoung looks strangely sad.

“So... are we going to take a picture or not? I need to go now.” Siwon says.

“I’ll help you guys.” Hyukjae suddenly comes and Kyuhyun offers him the camera. The camera is actually Donghae’s.

The next thing Sooyoung and Donghae know is that they are lining up already. From left to right, it will be Nichkhun, Yoona, Sooyoung, Kyuhyun, Siwon, and Donghae. Four of them are smiling happily while two of them are smiling fakely and bitterly.

When the “click” can be heard, Donghae knows it’s time to go back.

“...”

Donghae feels he is sitting in the chair again. He knows he is already in the present. He loosk at the photo and it changes, in a very dramatic way. There is one change in that photo. Yes, there is only one change and that is Donghae’s face. It has changed from a smile to an empty expression.

Unknowingly... Donghae’s tears have fallen. He covers himself with the photo album and he cries silently.

“I am really a loser...” He thinks to himself.

He feels so ashamed about trying to get rid of Nichkhun from Yoona.

He is crying helplessly.

“Do I really lose now?” He asks.

Sooyoung sees what happens so she asks “Hae-ah... what’s wrong? Are you crying?”

But Siwon and Kyuhyun gives Sooyoung the signal to be quiet and not disturb the crying Donghae.

~TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY FOR YOONA~

Yoona was playing around with some kids. They were the hospital’s patients.

Yoona gave a candy to each of the kids.

“Noona... you said candy isn’t good for our teeth but why you give us a candy?” One of the kids asked.

“Kekeke... It will be alright if you diligently brush your teeth. Arasso?” Yoona explains and the kids echo “Neh...”

The kids were happily playing with Yoona in the hospital corridor now.

At the same time, there was a boy who was observing the fun Yoona had with the kids. The boy’s name was Wang Seokhyun. He silently envied that scene.

Yoona noticed that boy and he approached him.

“Annyeong... what’s your name? Do you want to join us?”

“N-neh... annyeong... Wang Seokhyun imnida. I c-can’t p-play with y-you. I h-have an examination now.” Seokhyun nervously answered.

“I see... here... this is a candy for you. Get well soon Seokhyun-ah.” Yoona handed the candy to that boy and she left him even before Seokhyun thanked her. She joined the other kids again and played with them.

Seokhyun smiled before a doctor named Choi Seunghyun called him to enter the examination room.

Today was a special day for Yoona. It was her first day as an intern in SNU hospital but it was also the day when a sad story about a boy was connected to her story.



**********

A/N
Annyeong... sorry for another late update. I didn't re-read it so sorry for my very bad English... (typos, grammatical errors, or tenses... whatever, really1000x sorry) I hope you can enjoy this chapter. DONGHAE FAILS AGAIN... T.T

By the way, I have decided that Yoona will meet six persons in heaven except Hyukkie... Yuri is done... TOP aka Seunghyun is happening, so 4 more to come...Thank you for reading it. *Bowing*