Chance 7

Heaven, Happiness, & Chance [HIATUS]

 

CHANCE #SEVEN
“Will everything be alright if I give you the second button?”



“Tragically, I must say. I died tragically.” Seunghyun tells Yoona who is still crying.

“But it’s ok. Death isn’t the end of everything Yoona-yah.” He starts again and pauses for a moment. “We think... well... I think that death is the end of everything... It is the end of my life and that’s it. You are nothing after the death. But I guess I was wrong then.”

He observes the babies in the incubator while Yoona is still busy wiping her own tears.

“Afterlife... It’s the place where you realize that you still have another world to live in front of you. You have something else before your eyes. Something to expect and to look forward to. After leaving the world... you’ll face the heaven... knowing that you once had a life. Knowing that you have your yesterdays and past with you.”

Seunghyun clears his throat.

“And that’s what I like about it. That’s my perspective. This is the place where you will learn about your days in that revolving thing called Earth.”

Yoona is finally able to look at Seunghyun.

She slowly lifts her head to face him.

“You get what I mean, don’t you?” Seunghyun asks.

“I d-don’t k-know... I mean... doctor... seeing you here, in your heaven as what you said... It’s just so... I d-don’t know what word to describe how I feel... I’m sorry doctor. Really... I don’t know that happened to you. And then you eventually died... and I don’t even know about it and m-moreover... it was for me. If only I k-knew... I think I d-don’t have the r-right to even talk to you like t-this...”

“Kekeke...” Seunghyun chuckles. “I’m waiting for you after all. Our meeting here has been set up by God.”

“That’s what Kwon Yuri-sshi told me as well.” Yoona responds. “She is also waiting for me.”

“Neh... she is.”

“You know her?”

“No I don’t know her but we have something similar. We have something to teach you. We have the story that you need to know. We are part of your life. Important ones. We share the how and why of your life Yoona-yah. Hence, you need to listen to me.” At this point, Seunghyun gives the signal to Yoona to look at the incubator.

“Yoona-yah, that is you. The baby in the second column, third row...” Said Seunghyun. “The reason I look so much younger right now is because I am this young when we first met... I mean when I first saw you coming to the world.” Continued Seunghyun.

“Eh? What d-do y-you mean?” Yoona asks.

“Didn’t I tell you before? I killed your mother. I killed her and it happened on the day when you was born.”

Upon hearing this, Yoona’s eyes get widened. She almost forgets that Seunghyun told her about this before and she is really curious now. She wants to know more.

...

“I’m sorry... I was just getting emotional.” Donghae reasons out after stopping his tears.

“Neh. It’s alright.” Sooyoung replies while giving him some tissues.

“Guys, I need to do the daily visit now. My patients are waiting for me. I need to check Yoona’s mother’s condition as well. I’ll be back soon. You three will stay here until dinner right?” Kyuhyun stands up and he asks the others.

“Neh. I’ll stay here until dinner.” Sooyoung replies.

“Me too.” Siwon continues but Donghae only nods.

“Ok then. Bye.” Kyuhyun leaves the room.

Once the door closed, Donghae continues seeing the photos in the album, reminiscing the good old time memories.

“Hae... do you have our graduation photo? The five of us...” Sooyoung asks Donghae.

“Hmmm... sure... let me check...” Donghae searches through several pages and finally he finds it.

“Do you mean this one?” Donghae gives the photo album to Siwon and the latter passes it to Sooyoung. The photo is their graduation photo. The five of them are there, in front of the school gate, they are posing for the camera but from other people’s point of view, the photo looks energyless. The photo is lifeless and plain. It doesn’t have the sense of graduation photo.

Sooyoung takes a look for some time before saying “Neh... this one.”

“Why do you suddenly ask for that photo?” Donghae asks back now.

“I just suddenly remember about it. I have a feeling that Yoona actually wanted your second button that time...” Sooyoung replies and she continues with “Who did you give your second button to by the way?”

“Ehhh... Hmmm...” Donghae tries to recall.

“Isn’t it that girl named Goo Hara?” Siwon butts into the conversation.

“Re-really? I don’t remember anything.” Replied Donghae and he realizes that Sooyoung is staring at him so he asks “Waeyo?”

“Nothing... just... I really wonder why do we all look gloomy in this photo, especially Yoona.” Sooyoung explains.

“Isn’t it obvious? We’re graduating from high school... that’s why we’re sad.” Siwon argues.

“Is it really only for that reason?” Sooyoung sighs and keeps staring at Donghae.

“Wae?” Donghae asks again.

“Aigooo Hae-ah... after all... as usual, you never understand Yoona’s intentions.” Sooyoung shoots a very sharp statement there. It goes through Donghae’s heart. It pains him hearing this one from Sooyoung. 

He can’t help but to remember the sunny graduation day, when Yoona and He talked about the second button.

...

Donghae was on the balcony of the rooftop. No one there. He was enjoying the scenery.

“Haechiii!!!”

“Yoona-yah...”

Yoona approached him.

“Here... write something for me on this graduation yearbook.” Yoona offered the yearbook and she noticed that Donghae’s second button wasn’t there anymore. Donghae took the yearbook and started writing.

“So, there is someone who finally took your second button?”

“Yah, what do you mean with finally? Are you insulting me...”

“A-aniyoo... I’m h-happy for y-you... I was just... surprised and relieved that I don’t need to take it anymore... kekeke...” Said Yoona, hiding her discouragement.


...

Deep inside his heart, he talks to himself again.

“If I gave my second button to her... will everything be changed? If I had given it to her, can I be saved from this regret? Aishhhh, why didn’t I give it to her that time, even when she didn’t ask for it. God... I want to go back and give it to her.”

He prays that Jessica will appear again. He truly wishes for that and so it is granted.

“I’m actually glad that you haven’t given up, Donghae-sshi.” Said Jessica, who is now sitting beside Yoona.

“But why is it hard? I mean... I have tried... It seems so useless.” Donghae pours out what is inside his heart.

“People’s heart is the most difficult thing to change, I tell you. Thus it is hard Donghae-sshi.” Explained Jessica.

Donghae shuts his mouth after that.

“Just prepare your second button... and don’t forget that the second button is just a small part of graduation... See you.” Jessica snaps her fingers and again, Donghae is sent to the past.

...

Seunghyun tells Yoona everything... everything about her mother and her father that night. To Seunghyun’s surprise, Yoona seems normal though.

“I’m sorry for everything.”

“It’s not your fault though. I mean... I wonder why I can stay calm after hearing the story about that night. Doctor... I can’t relate myself to them... I never know them... I mean... I... I...” She is speechless.

“Your father... he lost hopes... after your mom died, he only visited you on Saturday or Sunday. He came to me one day, asking me to take care of you instead. He had no intention to move on and live on. He was helpless and hopeless. He took you from the hospital and later I found out that he left you in the orphanage of a Church near the hospital. Since then, I was monitoring you. I was really glad when finally there is a good family that adopted you.”

Yoona listens to Seunghyun, hoping that he will hint about her father.

“I was really shocked that after so many years... we met again, in the hospital. I didn’t expect it Yoona-yah.”

“Ahhh... that’s why you looked shocked when we saw each other that day. Somehow, I felt like you are familiar as well.” Said Yoona.

“And I think that’s why I really concerned about you at those times. The fact that I saved you, I think it’s because I had the obligation to pay you back after taking your mother’s live.”

“But blaming yourself isn’t a solution. Should it be me instead? I was the real cause... But why... I feel nothing actually... my parents... who are they...? Who am I?”

“That’s not the part of what I’m going to teach you Yoona-yah.”

“Then what? What I should learn from you doctor?”

“To sacrifice... what else?!” Seunghyun convinces Yoona and that is when they are transferred back to Seunghyun’s office in the SNU hospital.

...

“Just give it Hae!!!” Siwon whispers.

Donghae opens his eyes and he can see Kyuhyun and Siwon in front of him.

“Where am I?”

“Give it! Give it!!! Give it!!!”

He observes around and he is in the middle of the crowd students. They are in the corridor. Yoona and Sooyoung are unseen though.

“Give what?” Donghae asks Siwon.

“Aishhh, of course your second button.” Kyuhyun explains.

“To who?” Donghae asks Kyuhyun this time.

“To that girl behind you who has been waiting for your decision all the time!!!” Explained Siwon.

“Ee-ehhh?” Exclaimed Donghae and he turns his whole body around. He can hear that everyone who is watching are applauding as well. His eyes meet Goo Hara’s eyes. The girl is asking for Donghae’s second button of his school uniform. She looks nervous but of course Donghae doesn’t give a damn to that. He just cares about how to fix things right now.

“Great! Why should I come back at this moment?” Donghae murmurs inside his heart.

“Give it!!! Give it!!! Give it!!!” The cheers are geeting louder. Being this kind-hearted guy as always, Donghae takes Hara’s feelings into consideration.

“What if she is hurt if I don’t give it to her?!!!” He talks with his inner-self again.

“Yahhh, Hae!!! Are you going to make her cry? It’s just your second button. Just give it anyway.” Siwon whispers from Donghae’s back and pushes him forward.

“Aishh!!! You son’t understand Choi Siwon.”

“What? Tell me what I don’t understand about it?!”

“It’s ok if you can’t give it to me sunbae. Thank you for your time.” Hara is about to leave and Donghae can see a drop of tears on her face.

Without even realizing how stupid he is to call Hara back, he finds himself giving away the second button. He really doesn’t have the heart to let the girl down.

“I’m so thankful that you want my second button. You can have it.” Said Donghae, much to Hara’s excitement. She leaves in happiness after that and soon after the crowd is disappearing as well.

“Huuuhhhhhhh...” Donghae lets out a long sigh.

“Waeyooo?” Siwon asks.

“Nothing. I need to think now about how I should fix some things.” Answered Donghae.

“What sort of things?”

“Nevermind. I’ll go to the rooftop. I need to clear my mind. See you.” Donghae waves without facing Kyuhyun and Siwon.

“Why is he acting so weird?” Siwon wonders and he expects Kyuhyun to answer but the latter is busy with his book.

“YAHHH!!! Are you gonna marry that book??? Aishhhh!!! Cho Kyuhyun!!! Get a life!” Siwon shouts and takes the book away with him. Kyuhyun chases Siwon in that corridor only to give up after he hears someone calls his name.

“Kyuhyun-sunbae...”

Kyuhyun stops from running. Siwon notices that as well from the other side of the corridor. Siwon can see that it is Yoona’s younger cousin who calls fro Kyuhyun. Siwon decides to leave that place, smiling while saying “Catch you later Kyunnie!!!”

“Ahh... Seohyun-ah...” Kyuhyun responses and he is aware that no one is there in the corridor. Well, the graduation ceremony has ended so it’s normal that most of the students are not in the school anymore.

“Waeyooo?” Asked Kyuhyun.

“Hmm... C-can... can I h-have... can I h-have the s-second button o-of... of your s-school uniform?” Seohyun gets straight to the point, nervously. She sounds really nervous but in the end she has said what she wanted to say. It took so much courage as she is a shy and innocent girl to begin with. The first time Yoona introduced her to Kyuhyun, she can’t not think about him everyday, every hour, every minute, and every second. But she holds her own feelings, thinking that she is not good enough for this guy as Kyuhyun is famous for being the best student in the school.

One day, she accidentally caught the moment when Kyuhyun got bullied. She was scared as well even just to see it. It keeps happening almost once or twice in a week. She doesn’t know when it is exactly but she is sure she has fallen in love with him.

But since today is the graduation, she realizes that it may be her last chance so she gives a shot.

“You... you want my second button? Really???” Kyuhyun asks in amusement.

“N-neh...” Answered Seohyun, still nervous.

“Well, I’ll give it to you after you answer my question.”

“Ehh?” Seohyun wonders what the question will be.

“Please being honest Seohyun-ah... were you the one who gave me a soft drink after I got bullied on our school festival day back then?” Kyuhyun asks in serious tone. They are facing each other now. Seohyun gets really-really nervous now.

“So... you know it was me after all?” She made a response.

“You’ve been watching me getting bullied all these times right?”

“I’m sorry sunbae... I just... you see...” Seohyun says some random words. She doesn’t know how to put her thought into words.

“Thank you.” Kyuhyun simply interrupts Seohyun confused moment.

“Thank you for being there Seohyun-ah... even though I actually feel embarassed because you saw the worst part of my life.”

“I am wondering about it as well... Why didn’t you fight back sunbae?”

“Keke... it’s simple... because you were watching. What else could it be? I don’t want to look violent in front of you.”

“But...”

“Beside... it would be getting worse if I did that. You might be involved as well. I thought that I shouldn’t fight back so they can always bully me, not the other students. Well, after today, I’m going to be free... keke.”

Seohyun is amazed by the statements.

“But still... how can you endure the pain? Every week...”

“Aishhh... you are really stubborn neh? How about getting into the business now?!”

“Nehhh?” Seohyun doesn’t understand what Kyuhyun means.

Kyuhyun answers that by taking off his second button from his school uniform and hands it to Seohyun.

“I mean this.” Kyuhyun explains.

Just then, Seohyun cries in happiness. It feels really warm for her. It’s just the second button but she can’t hide the happiness. Tears are flowing out from her eyes. She takes the second button and she bows as well.

“Kamsahamnida...” Said Seohyun, politely.

“Ahh neh neh... you don’t need to be this formal Seohyun-ah. And just call me oppa by the way from now on. I graduate today so I’m not your sunbae anymore kekeke.” Kyuhyun bows back to Seohyun and he wipes her tears.

“Neh...” Seohyun responds.

“Hmmm... do you have a favorite number?” Kyuhyun questions her again.

“Eh... aniyo... I don’t like any particular number... waeyy-” 

“But you have a phone number right?” Seohyun is interrupted by Kyuhyun.

Seohyun raises her eyebrows at first but slowly she gets what Kyuhyun means. The guy is trying to get her number in a ridiculous way. She can’t help but to laugh before saying “Sure... I have Kyuhyun-oppa.”

...

“Did you get someone’s second button?” Sooyoung asks Yoona.

“Hmmm... I think I will receive one.”

“Eh??? Really? From who?”

“I won’t tell you. I may not get it though so yeah...” Yoona explains.

“Why? Why won’t you get it?”

“I don’t know. Just... I think that the closer that person to me, the further his second button is, kekeke...”

“...”

Yoona then adds “He’s always so close but... he’s too far to reach...”

“What about you? Will you get Junho’s sewcond button.” Yoona reverses the question.

“Aishhhh. I won’t get it. First because I don’t understand anything about why second button is important and second, we already broke up.” Answered Sooyoung directly.

“You had broken up again? So you dumped Lee Junho already? Oh my God... I can’t believe this. Lee Sungmin, Lee Minho, Kang Dongwon, Lee Seunggi, that Chinese guy named Hankyung, Kwon Jiyong, and now Lee Junho... not to forget many other guys that I even forget their names now... Sooyoungie... aigooo...”

“Well... I’m looking forward to college life now... will there be someonee for me out there?” Sooyoung replies Yoona. Both are in the deserted classroom right now.

“Sooyoung-ah... it’s our graduation day, our last day in high school... I know you probably hate it if I’m talking about this... but really... what happened between you and Siwon? And believe me... I won’t trust you if you say there’s nothing happened between you two... I haven’t asked about it just because I concern about your and his feelings but please... I want to know if there is something I can do to help you.”

“...”

Sooyoung doesn’t respond.

“I mean... I think I know why you can’t get a proper boyfriend. It is because what you are looking for is not these guys... It is Choi Siwon right?”

“Fine fine... but please don’t scream out his name like that.” Sooyoung finally responds.

“You were right Yoona-yah. He is the reason why I can’t be satisfied with my boyfriend. I keep looking for the perfect one but I just can’t get him. I can’t help but to compare them to Siwon. I know it was crazy but... at the same time... I came to think that perfect boyfriend doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t hurt me, doesn’t lie, and unfortunately doesn’t exist.”

“Wait, if you like him then why don’t you just confess to him instead of avoiding him all the time?”

“There is a reason for that Yoongie-ah...”

“What? What reason?” Yoona gets curious.

“I actually want to keep it as secret... But I guess I should tell you now so you better keep it for your own good. Arasso?”

Yoona nods.

“I was ready to confess that day... It was after the first semester in our first year... when... when I figured out that-”

“Annyeong...” Someone cuts Sooyoung at the wrong time.

“Khunnie...”

“Nichkhun-ah...”

Sooyoung and Yoona mumble the name of their visitor. As Nichkhun walk closer, Sooyoung quickly concludes her story, whispering “Do you think you really know Siwon? He is so mysterious after all Yoona-yah.” to Yoona.

It makes Yoona wonder and it is true though. Yoona just realizes how she is clueless about Siwon’s life, as in personal life. She knows little even nothing about him actually.

As she is trying to combat the thoughts, Nichkhun has already pulled her attention.

“I just want to congratulate you all. Where are Donghae, Kyuhyun, and Siwon?” Said the Thai.

“Ah neh... you too, congratulations.” Sooyoung says as a response and she bows as well.

“We don’t know where they are now but they’ll come here for sure if you want to wait. We’re gonna having a small party at the usual cafe. Want to join us Khun-ah?” Yoona tells Nichkhun.

“I would love to but my family needs me more I guess. I already have an appointment with them today.” Nichkhun answers.

“Ahhh... I see...” Yoona replies.

“But today graduation is bit disappointing neh?” Nichkhun brings up a topic.

“What do you mean?” Sooyoung exclaims.

“I am feeling the exact thing actually.” Yoona continues.

“I mean... I think it will be more touching but... I don’t know... It feels really plain.” Yoona explain and Sooyoung notices the seriousness in Yoona’s tone.

“Yah... are you expecting too much?” Sooyoung asks Yoona back.

“Well... maybe... after all it’s our high school graduation day...”

Nichkhun only nods after hearing the last sentence from Yoona.

“I mean...” Yoona speaks again. “In the future... if it is just like this then I can’t reminisce about my high school memory. It somehow feels really sad to think this way.”

“Actually... since I thought about the same thing... I have done a graduation-like thing.” Nichkhun confesses.

“Ehhh? What is it?” Asked Sooyoung.

“I write my name using permanent boardmarker on the bottom side of my chair and table in my classroom, also under the table in the chemistry and biology lab... keke... I think that I should have ended my graduation with something like that, even though it is only a small thing.”

“Ahhh... that’s a great idea... I wonder what I should do...” Said Yoona.

“I need to go now. My family is waiting. Please tell Donghae, Siwon, and Kyuhyun that I congratulate them for the graduation.”

“Neh... sure.” Sooyoung and Yoona echo at the same time and Nichkhun leaves them.

...

Back to Yoona and Seunghyun. They are in Seunghyun’s office in SNU hospital. Seunghyun sits on his chair behind a desk. Yoona is standing in front of him on the other side of that table.

“Your mother sacrificed. I sacrificed. We all sacrificed.” Said Seunghyun.

“Me?”

“Yes, you also made some sacrifices in your life. But you still don’t understand. Sacrificing is a part of our life. It’s supposed to be. Not something that we would regret later. It should be something that we are longing for. Little sacrifice or a big one, it doesn’t mother Yoona-yah. Your mother sacrificed her life for you. I did the same thing too. And you... didn’t you sacrifice your love?”

“My love...?”

“Neh. Your love.”

“Doctor... I think I didn’t sacrifice my love.” Exclaimed Yoona.

“You think so. But in the end, you will admit that you regret sacrificing your true love.” Seunghyun stares at Yoona’es eyes.

“Yoona-yah...” Seunghyun continues. “You should just know that it’s ok to sacrifice. Something good will come from it. When someone sacrificed something for you, you got something while they also got something. For example, you got your life from your mother’s and my death. We got something too.”

“What? What did you both get from your death?”

“You were alive. Your mother wanted you to be alive. I wanted the same thing. Both of us got it when we sacrificed our life. Sacrificing is a beautiful thing.”

Yoona can only keep herself in silence. Doctor Seunghyun walks to where Yoona stands.

“I’m really sorry about your mother.” Said Seunghyun.

Yoona is stunned. She is still really furious to know that she is only an adopted daughter. However, to be told that her real mother did that so she could live, to be acknowledged about Seunghyun’s sacrifices, she is really ashamed to be angry. Tears come again.

Seunghyun lets Yoona cries.

After a while, Yoona finally speaks.

“Doctor... why here? Why should be in this hospital? Isn’t this hospital like a nightmare for you? You can choose another place, right?”

“Kekeke... it’s what you see Yoona-yah. We see different things actually.”

“Ehhh?”

“Since I was a little, I’ve been in the hospital so hospital isn’t the place where I want to live in afterlife.”

“But doctor... I see the SNU hospital. I mean...”

“I told you Yoona-yah... what you see is not what I see.”

Right after that, everything in Yoona’s sight changes. There is a Church and an orphanage in front of the two of them. There are children and a woman playing around not really far from Yoona.

“This is what I see. This is my heaven. That’s my wife. I never have a child so yeah... I want to fee how it’s like. Keke.” Explained Seunghyun.

“I need to join my wife and the children now.” Seunghyun starts walking away when Yoona breaks her silence again.

“Wait!!! Doctor wait!!!” Said yoona. “I need to know about something. About my accident, my death. I was trying to save a boy. I was avoiding him from my car. I felt his hand holding my hand. But I can’t remember... it was so blurred... Did I succesfully save him?”

Seunghyun turns around to face Yoona.

Yoona adds “I just wanted to know.”

Seunghyun closes his eyes and opens it again while saying “I can’t tell you Yoona-yah.”

“...”

“But there is someone who can answer that question of yours.” Seunghyun says again while throws a necklace with a pendant. “That used to be yours. Your dad dropped it in the hospital the day he took you away from the hospital. I just forgot to return it to you.”

Yoona opens the pendant and there is a photo. A very old photo. A couple to be exact.

When Yoona wants to ask who the couple is by lifting her head to look for Seunghyun, the latter is nowhere and there is no Church or orphanage anymore.

Slowly, it gets darker again.

She had learned the second lesson.

...

Donghae is in the rooftop. Thinking about how stupid he is when Yoona appears from his back.

“Haechiii!!!”

“Yoona-yah...” Donghae takes a glance and then backfaces Yoona again.

Yoona approaches him and that’s when Donghae realizes that he needs to keep Yoona’es eyes away from his school uniform.

“Here... write something for me on this graduation yearbook.” Yoona offers the yearbook but Donghae keeps backfacing her.

“Neh... I will write it later.”

“Ahhh... Ok then.” Said Yoona before continuing with “By the way, no one will ask for your second button, right? Keke... And since it’s too pitiful for you, I’ll do the charity by taking it.”

“What are you talking about?” Donghae replies.

“Aigooo, Haechi, it’s ok for me to receive your second button since no one will ask it. I’ll wait you in the class then. And Khunnie sent his congratulation for you. See you.”

“Neh...” Said Donghae and Yoona leaves after that.

Donghae sighs in relief that he still can hide the fact that his second button is already not there.

Meanwhile, in the classroom. Kyuhyun and Sooyoung are chatting while Siwon is listening to the music through his iPod.

“Kyunnie... do you know why some girls ask for the guys’ second button of the school uniform?” Asked Sooyoung.

“Ahhh... You are a playgirl so you won’t understand.” Kyuhyun says bluntly.

“Yahh!!! I mean... why the second button anyway. Wht isn’t the first button or third or whatever???!” Said Sooyoung, annoyingly.

“It’s the second button because it’s the nearest to your heart.” Claimed Kyuhyun.

“Heart?” Sooyoung mumbles.

“You wear the uniform almost everyday in school right? That’s why the second button is chocked full with that person’s feelings.” Kyuhyun tries to explain.

“Ahhhhh... I see...”

At that exact moment, Yoona enters the classroom.

“By the way, there was a junior asking for Donghae’s second button before.” Kyuhyun just eventually revealed the truth. Yoona turns uneasy after hearing that. Sooyoung notices what happened to Yoona.

“E-ehhh??? R-reallyyy??? Good f-for him then...” Yoona says.

“Neh. He was hesitant at first but then he gave it all the way.” Kyuhyun simply adds.

Yoona only nods and silence dominates the room. It eventually becomes a bit awkward.

“Should we go now?” Kyuhyun commands.

“Well... what are we waiting for?” Sooyoung asks.

“Lee Donghae of course.” Exclaimed Kyuhyun.

“Aigooo, I’ll just text him. Let’s go.” Sooyoung stands up and starts walking while texting to Donghae. They all will go to Venus-Hyoyeon cafe.

“Siwon... let’s go.” Kyuhyun taps Siwon’s shoulder and both of them start walking as well.

“I’ll wait for Donghae. You guys can go first.” Yoona waves and the other three leave her in that classroom. After about 10 minutes, Yoona her some steps coming to the classroom. It is Donghae indeed.

Donghae just opened the door to the classroom, thinking that everyone already went to the cafe. When he sees Yoona is still in the classroom, he quickly turns around and backfaces Yoona.

“Yahhh... why are you turning around Haechi? Keke. Did you just see a ghost here or what? By the way, I heard that there was someone who actually asked for your second button... keke... It’s good and very relieving neh?!” Yoona forces herself to sound as calm as posssible.

She continues though.

“I was really worried that ni one will ever wants your second button. So... I was thinking... should I greet her and say thank you for doing the charity, kekeke. On the last day you wear your uniform... It’s really a good thing that such person appeared. I mean... it’s like a miracle... kekeke... Haechi... you should rea-”

“It’s enough Yoong.” Donghae weakly says and he cuts Yoona. Yoona goes wordless after that. She slowly walks, picks Donghae’s school bag and then stands behind Donghae.

“Here... your bag.” Yoona hands Donghae’s bag. Donghae turns around and finally Yoona can see that the second button is really missing. Somehow, she wishes that it will still be there but she was wrong. Donghae takes his school bag and without anymore word, both of them are heading to the cafe.

Soon after, they reach the cafe. They greet Hyukjae.

“Hyukkie, happy graduation!” Donghae says and Yoona bows as well.

“Neh, you too.” Hyukjae replies.

“What’s your planning after this?” Asked Yoona.

“Continue working I guess.” Hyukjae simply replies.

“What about college?” Yoona asks again.

“Hmmm... I still don’t make a decision about it actually. Will see later keke.” Hyukjae concludes.

Donghae and Yoona, still in awkward atmosphere then find how gloomy the other three are. They just sit there and don’t even chat. Yoona and Donghae join in a same manner though. They sit around hopelessly.

Donghae, of course, regret everything again.

“What should I do now?” He ponders inside his heart.

“After all, it ends already, our highschool period.” Sooyoung suddenly speaks.

“Neh, it really has ended.” Yoona continues.

“Aishhh, don’t say it has ended!” Donghae responds out of nowhere. He hates hearing that. Everyone is surprised.

“Yah yah yah... then... how about going back to school and do things we never do and can’t do before... kekeke...” Suggested Kyuhyun.

Everyone thinks about it.

“Hmmmm... neh... sounds great. As expected, I just don’t want it to end like this.” Sooyoung continues.

“Agree!!! There are many things I still want to do too!!! Let’s go!” Yoona exclaims.

Sooyoung, Yoona, and Kyuhyun then quickly stands up and takes their belongings along with them, ready to hit the school again.

“Siwon-ah, Hae... let’s go!!!” Kyuhyun pulls the two guys.

“Fine... fine...” Siwon stands up and follows the girls. Donghae stays still though.

“Hae...” Siwon calls Donghae.

“...” No response from Donghae.

“Yah... LEE DONGHAE!!!” Siwon shouts and forcefully pulls Donghae with him. Before they leave the cafe, Siwon notices Hyukjae.

“Hyukkie, you too, let’s go with us!!!”

“Eh, it’s ok Siwon. Just have fun. I need to look after the cafe.” Hyukjae replies but he can’t help to finally follow the others when Donghae pulls him, saying “It will be greater with you. Come on!!!”

Hyukjae then closes the cafe. Luckily, there are still no other customers that time.

They sneak back to the school, having many plans in their heads. The six of them firstly go to the headmaster room. They sit on the headmaster chair. They play around in that room. They go to the teachers’ room as well. They write a thankful message on papers and distribute it to each of the teacher’s desk.

They play around in the chemical, biology, and physics laboratory. They take pictures together with the tools and materials of those laboratories. They play baseball. They play basketball. They play soccer. They do everything they want. Each of them, realize that everytime they are together, they always have fun. They realize that having each other is really an important memory of their highschool.

They treasure it the most, the friendship they share.

“Should we make a time capsule?” Sooyoung suggests.

“Neh.. neh...” Everyone agrees, even Hyukjae is forced again to join them.

After burying the time capsule under the ground they decide to take the last picture for that day.

Donghae knows... his time will end again and he knows that it still feels wrong. He doesn’t make any change at all. The second button is not given to Yoona.

“What should I do?” He ponders again and that time, Hyukjae talks to him.

“Neh Hae, it is a pity that when we graduated from middle school with Siwon, we didn’t do things like this.” Said Hyukjae.

“Neh... you’re right.” Donghae comments and he notices something.

“Middle school... middle school...” He keeps saying this word to himself.

“Ahhhh!!! YAHHH!!! Wait... WAITTTT!!! WAIT FOR ME BEFORE TAKING THE PICTURE!!!” Suddenly Donghae shouts and he runs.

“Yahh, Donghae-ah, where are you going?” Siwon shouts.

“JUSTTT WAIT FOR ME!!!” Replied and Donghae and he keeps running. He goes outside the school. He is heading to his home. He runs with all of his energy. He needs something from his home. Once he arrives, he quickly goes to his bedroom, ignoring his grandmother. He looks for his middle school uniform. He gets the second button of it and then he runs back to the school. His home is not that far from the school.

It approximately 15-20 minutes since Donghae left and he is finally back. He goes straightly to the time capsule area, near their classroom, where everyone is waiting.

“Aigooo... where did you go?” Siwon asks.

Donghae doesn’t reply, he is still panting from the exhaustion.

“Now eeveryone is already here, let’s take a picture in front of the school gate now.” Sooyoung commands and everyone moves. However, Donghae stops Yoona.

“Yoona-yah...” He calls her while everyone is leaving.

“Neh...” Yoona turns around and faces Donghae.

“You know what...” Donghae starts. “What is the meaning of the second button in of my highschool uniform when in fact... I’ve been going through my highschool time with you... with everyone. All the feelings that are chocked into that button... I am very sure you have it as well and you must have known how precious they are.”

Yoona listens carefully when Donghae walks closer to her and offers her a button.

“This...” Yoona mumbles when she takes it.

“That is the second button of my middle school uniform.” Replied Donghae. “During that time... we weren’t spending our time together. We were in different school. At those times... I believe that this second button had been chocked with how much I missed you and wanted to meet you. It’s more meaningful for me... because that proves I can’t live without you... Thus, I want you to have it... since no one wanted it then... and most importantly... since it only belongs to you...”

Yoona just stares at Donghae, feeling how sincere Donghae is with his explanation. She stares at that second button now and she smiles while her tears are threatening to fall.

“Yoong...” Here... Donghae is ready to confess.

“I... I l-lo-”

“YOONA-YAHHH!!! DONGHAE-AHHH!!! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING THERE!!! IT’S GETTING DARKER!!! HURRY UP!!!” Sooyoung shouts and she cuts Donghae’s moment.

“I guess we should join them now.” Said Yoona and she quickly runs to the school gate, holding the second button tighly.

Even though he ca’t make his confession, Donghae sighs in relief while heading to the shool gate. Hyukjae voluntarily takes the camera and orders the other five to make a line.

“One... two... say cheese... three!!!”

“CLICK...”

Donghae hears it right and so it’s time to go back to the future. Will there be a change waiting for him?

...

Yoona opens her eyes.

She is on a wooden boat now, a small one. Eunhyuk is paddling.

Nonetheless, Yoona shed her tears while locking her own eyes to her feet on the boat.

“We are at the lake of heaven... isn’t it beautiful?” Said Eunhyuk.

Yoona hears what Eunhyuk jus said but she doesn’t have the time to respond as her mind is occupied by what just happened before.

“I guess he taught you well... Seunghyun-sshi is a great doctor indeed...”

“...”

Silence.

Yoona can only cover her face with her hands, crying silently.

~TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY FOR YOONA~

Today was Yoona’s graduation day from highscool.

Today was also the day when Yoona eventually knew what happened between Sooyoung and Siwon.

After taking the picture in front of the school gate, the two girls decide to have some girls’ talk, secretly from the others.

“Sooyoung-ah... you still owe me a story.”

“Ahhh... neh... where was I before?”

“You told me that you were going to confess...”

“Ahhh... yes... I was ready that time, after the first semester of our first year. I mean... I thought he responded my feelings. We texted each other very often. It wasn’t a sin to have some kind of hope, was it?” Said Sooyoung.

“However... I found out that he already have a girlfriend.” Continued Sooyoung.

“Eh? Really? Siwon had a girlfriend? How could we don’t know about it?!”

“That’s why I asked you before... do you really think you know who Siwon is? Isn’t he too mysterious? Yoona-yah, do you remember when he got a call when we were in the cafe. He was saying something like Fany right?”

“I can’t really recall.” Admitted Yoona.

“Neh... it’s ok. Her name is Tiffany, Siwon’s girlfriend.” Explained Sooyoung.

“How could you know then if no one of us know about it?” The curious Yoona asked.

“Siwon left his wallet that day in the cafe. I wanted to return it but he asked me to just wait in the cafe and he would meet me there. That was when I thought I should confess. Donghae, Kyuhyun, and you already went home so I thought it would be perfect. However, as I was waiting, I curiously opened his wallet and there was a photo there. Siwon with this girl.” Sooyoung paused.

“Siwon & Tiffany, California, Summer 2007.” Sooyoung mumbled.

“Eh?” Yoona raised one of her eyebrows.

“That what was written on that photo. She is a Korean-American. It was taken on Summer 2007. That means they had already been dating even before we met Siwon in the school right? Don’t you remember that once Siwon said that he had a summer holiday in the US? I guess that was when they met.”

“But... shouldn’t you confirm about it to Siwon?”

“Yoona-yah, will you really do it if you were me? I mean... aishhh... nevermind... it’s too late now. I don’t want to talk about it anymore. Thank you for hearing my grumbles, kekeke.”

“Anytime Soo...”

With that, they part their ways after saying goodbye.



**********