Chance 10

Heaven, Happiness, & Chance [HIATUS]

It's been really too long since the last time I updated. I'm really sorry for that. Before reading this chapter, maybe you want to read or skim through the previous chapters to remember the story line. Aigooo, sorry for the inconvenience.

 

CHANCE #TEN

“Have I Made Any Significant Change from The Past?”

 

 

Donghae is back.

He opens his eyes. He doesn’t have the courage to see the photo but he sees it eventually. It changes. A bit. Still, Donghae isn’t in that photo.

He looks around. Sooyoung and Siwon still freezes. He looks for another person then. Jessica.

“You two... it’s been years you know each other but you can’t read the other very well.” Jessica suddenly appears from the other side of the room.

“You thought that it was enough to say sorry and celebrate her birthday after she made the research report. But... don’t you ever think that she actually never wanted to make that research report?!” Commented Jessica.

“You just keep passing by your chance Donghae-sshi...” Added Jessica.

Donghae seems speechless. He can’t argue back.

“Right now... you must be thinking... if she didn’t do the research report then she wouldn’t get her dreams... you think that because you love her then you should support her. Well, I tell you something... to love is not always to think about the other party Donghae-sshi. Love is actually a selfish matter. You want her only for you. You are too selfless though...” Jessica ends her words without Donghae saying any word.

Everything turns normal again.

...

The boat stops moving. Yoona wonders what will happen next.

She hears a voice. She hears a sound. Many voices. It is getting louder. She closes her eyes, trying to concentrate. Trying to figure out what kind of sound she is hearing. However, she can’t identify it. She opens her eyes and she is surprised to see that there is no boat or lake anymore. She is in a white corridor.

Everything is white in this corridor.

There are many wooden doors across the wall of the corridor.

She slowly stands up. She walks towards the closest door and she is sure the sound and voice are coming from whatever lies behind that door.

A wedding ceremony.

Yoona just came into a room where there is a wedding ceremony inside. The bride and the groom are dancing in the middle of the room. Everyone are clapping for them. Yoona, of course, doesn’t know who they are but strangely, these people seem to sense Yoona’s existence.

Some people around her notices Yoona.

They smile to her. They smile sincerely to Yoona but the girl can’t even move.

The crowd keep cheering for the dancing couple when Yoona decides to leave that room. Yoona comes back to the white alley again. She doesn’t know why but she is sure she needs to open the wooden doors one by one.

And so she does.

She opens the next one. The one in front of the first one.

There she finds herself in a cinema. A movie is played. It is Titanic. One of the most famous romantic movies in the world. But no one is watching. There is no one in that cinema. She watches the movie by herself for the next couple of minutes and then she decides to leave.

She is in the white corridor again.

She goes to the next door.

This time, she is on the rooftop of a building. A school building to be exact. She then notices a school girl and a school boy, around 15 years old or so. They are facing each other. The girl is bowing to the boy then she hands him a letter.

“Is that a love letter? Is that a confession?” Yoona ponders inside her own heart. Yoona becomes nervous as well, waiting for the boy’s reaction. Yoona observes and she is convinced that the boy’s mouth is moving. However, she can’t hear a sound.

“Ehhh? Why can’t I hear what he is saying?” Yoona wonders.

The boy seems like he is talking to the girl. The girl slowly straights his body again.

Tears.

Yoona can see tears on that girl’s face.

“He rejects her...” Said Yoona but she was wrong when the next thing she sees is the girl has ran to hug the boy. Yoona doesn’t understand because she can’t hear a word. The best guess she can make is that the boy is the one confessing without even reading the letter and the tears she just saw is the tears of happiness.

Yoona decides to leave again and explores the other doors.

She knows that one door will actually lead her to the person she should meet so she just keep opening the wooden doors, one by one.

...

“Ehh... Soo, why aren’t you here?” Donghae brings up a topic. He passes the photobook to Siwon and the latter passes it to Sooyoung.

“Hmmmm...” Sooyoung mumbles.

There are only Nichkhun, Yoona, Siwon, Donghae, Hyukjae, Kyuhyun, and Seohyun in that photo. To Sooyoung, Siwon looks unhappy in that photo. He gives a fake smile there. Sooyoung remembers that it was taken when they celebrated Siwon birthday. She is missing from that photo. She knows why. Siwon knows why. They opt to shut their mouths.

“I can’t really recall Hae... Perhaps I got something more important to do.” Sooyoung concludes.

“Yeah... and missed your best friend’s birthday party.” Siwon teases Sooyoung. Sooyoung doesn’t reply as she gives the photobook to Donghae again.

“Wasn’t it the day when Yoona and Nichkhun declared their relationship?” Said Sooyoung while Donghae takes the photobook. Donghae clearly hears what Sooyoung just said. He tries to remember and Sooyoung is right. That day, before they took the photo, Yoona and Nichkun stated that they were in relationship.

Donghae only nods in agreement. So does Siwon.

Deep inside his heart, Donghae makes a request. Another selfish request that he should change the past. That he should be the one to confess to Yoona before Nichkhun.

“Can you do it?” Jessica’s voice can be heard.

“What?” Donghae asks.

“Confessing.” Jessica replies. “For years you haven’t been able to confess. Do you think you can do it this time?” She wants to make sure.

“I will... and I will do it before him.” Donghae answers.

“Well, goodluck then Donghae-sshi. You really need it.” Jessica smiles before sending Donghae to the past.

...

Yoona has opened and closed many doors now and it doesn’t seem to stop. There are still many doors left unexplored in front of her.

She had entered a room where another wedding ceremony was held. It was in the Church where the couple make their promises to love each other ever after. Inside the other room, she witnessed a family having dinner together. She also got to see an old couple who were chatting in the balcony of their home. She even saw some sad yet touching moments at the same time. She saw a man standing in front of a tomb, holding flowers. Nothing happens. That man only stared at the tomb. Yoona then saw a woman taking care of his boyfriend who was sick.

Yoona has seen both simple and sophisticated things inside those rooms. However, she still doesn’t understand what they are all about.

She is about to open a door now. She is wondering as to what she will see.

She opens the door and she is really really surprised. She sees no one but herself there.

The younger version of her.

Yoona is speechless. She is in her own bedroom and there is another her inside. The younger Yoona is sitting on a chair. The younger Yoona is writing something on the paper.

Yoona walks towards her younger version. She wants to get a closer observation of what that younger girl is doing right now. Yoona takes a little glance at the window of that room. It’s already dark outside. It’s already night. Yoona looks for the clock and it is already midnight.

Yoona bends down to see what younger Yoona is writing. It seems like she is watching a movie scene of what she was doing in the past actually.

She is taken a back when she sees the first word that is being written.

To: Haechi

She finally remembers.

The scene she is watching is the one when she wrote the confession letter to Donghae.

...

Donghae opens his eyes. He is in the Venus-Hyoyeon cafe. He looks around. Everyone is busy. They all are either cleaning the table or packing some stuffs into the boxes.

“What are we doing?” He blurts out that question only to have some glares from his friends.

“Yahhh, we’ve been here for an hour and you still ask that question?” Siwon exclaims.

“We are helping Hyukkie, Hae. Refreshing the cafe.” Sooyoung explains.

Donghae finally remembers. It is during their summer break. It is 2 years before the Yoona and Nichkhun engagement. They are here to help Hyukjae with everything they can do.

“Hyukkie, do we still need these old newspapers?” Yoona asks.

“I guess we can bring them to the recycle bin at the back.” Hyukjae answers.

“Good then, you do it, Hae!” Yoona orders while staring at him.

“Me? Why me?” Donghae is confused.

“Because you are lazing around this whole time. Hurry up!” Yoona is firm with her decision. Nichkhun, who is there too, can’t hold his laughter. He tries to hold it but it is still noticeable for Yoona.

“You too... Khun, go with Donghae! Ok?!” Nichkhun stops laughing when Yoona orders him.

“Thank you...” Yoona smiles to Donghae and Nichkhun.

With that, Donghae and Nichkhun do what they need to do while Yoona continues cleaning the table with Sooyoung.

“It’s rare to see you are with us in summer break Sooyoung-ah.” Yoona comments.

“Really? Isn’t it more surprising to have Nichkhun and Seohyun here?” Sooyoung asks back.

“Hmmm... that’s another case. I am talking about you being free during summer break. You are single. It is a rare achivement.” Yoona teases her friend.

“Actually, I’m not that anxious to find another boyfriend.” Sooyoung replies.

“Are you even Choi Sooyoung? Yahhhh, you doesn’t sound like her at all. What’s wrong?” Yoona is surprised.

“Hahahaha... I’m just getting a bit tired. Don’t mind me. I’m ok Yoona-yah.” Sooyoung pauses before continuing. “You know what, I’m envious that you can be so firm with your decision. Once you decide, you never hesitate and waver. I wish I can be like you.”

“Ehhh, what do you mean?”

“I have been watching over you, Yoona-yah. I notice that once you decide about something, you won’t change your mind.” Sooyoung explains.

Yoona doesn’t straightly reply. She thinks about what Sooyoung just said. She thinks about the love letter she had destroyed. She thinks about how she had decided to give up on Donghae on her 20th birthday.

“Well... I think I need to be firm so I am able to move on.” Yoona smiles and continues her job. Sooyoung doesn’t prolong the conversation.

To be honest with herself, Yoona actually thinks whether or not her decision was right. However, she is able to convince herself that she can move on from Donghae.

...

To: Haechi

 

This is the very first time I write a letter for you.

I am kinda nervous actually.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

First of all, I would like to apologize.

I am sorry for every harsh word I said about you.

For example, when I told you “I’m happy we’re not in the same junior high school.”, “It will be tiring and boring if we are in the same senior school.”, or “I hope I never know you.”

Even when I am writing those sentences right now, I can feel how cruel it sounds.

So yeah... I am sorry for having said them you.

Honestly, when I face you, I can’t think anymore.

My world is spinning whenever you are around.

Thus, I ended up saying such stupid things.

Please forgive me.

 

And one more thing.

I want to apologize for not believing in your words.

Do you remember your promise?

You said that you will never forget my birthday.

Somehow, when you said that years back, I doubted that you will fulfill that promise of yours.

Even now, I doubt it.

But thanks God you still keep it alive.

I hope you can keep your promise to prove I’m wrong for doubting you.

Because that’s the most beautiful promise I have ever heard.

 

Since the first time we met.

I think it is true that I am always watching over you.

Being by your side most of the times, I know how selfless you are.

Sometimes, I felt like you need to be more selfish.

But I’m really glad you stay the same.

We might have many quarrels but that never changed our relationship.

I admit that there were times when I got really mad though.

But that never changed how precious you are to me.

And you will always be an important person for me.

 

However, it becomes a burden.

As you are very important to me, I can’t seem to be myself in front of you.

Words that I really mean to say are left unsaid.

They become harder and harder to say.

Our friendship, in fact, holds me back from saying these words.

Thus, is it ok to wish that it’s better that we didn’t become friends at first?!

I know that wish is stupid.

And probably this letter is even more stupid.

But I’ll just write anyway.

 

I have always liked you.

I like you.

And I think I love you.

 

Do you feel the same about me?

 

Sincerely,

Yoongie

 

Yoona finds herself walking towards the door after reading the letter. She leaves that room. Her hearts is racing. She knows that Donghae is the one she dearly loves. It never changes. That is a fact. But it is a fact as well that fate has played its trick that she could never pass the letter to him. It is a fact that the letter was already teared.

She calms herself. She knows she should continue going into the next room.

She wonders whether or not she will meet her fourth person. She proceeds to the next door. She makes sure she is ready before opening the door.

She opens the door.

It is another wedding. White lilies decorate the garden. People are dancing. A beautiful song accompanies the guests. Some of them are enjoying the food. Yoona’s eyes look for the bride and the groom. She makes some steps to increase the chance of finding them. However, she can’t locate them.

She decides to leave. She turns around only to be surprised because there is no door anymore behind her. She is confused. She turns around once again.

Finally. Her eyes meet with the bride’s and the groom’s. They wear simple dress and suit yet they look stunningly gorgeous and handsome.

They look familiar though.

“Have I ever seen them before?” Yoona asks herself.

She then realizes that there is no more white lilies. No music. No other people. Only the three of them and a car. An old car to be precise.

“Shall we?” The groom asks Yoona to enter the car and sit at the back while he goes to take the driver’s seat. The bride doesn’t wait for Yoona to move as she enters the car and sits beside the groom.

Yoona knows these two are her fourth case.

“But who are they?” She wonders.

She steps forward. She doesn’t enter the car and now she can see the bride closely. The bride smiles. Yoona gives up on trying to remember who they are. She gets into the car.

The groom starts the engine.

The car is moving right at the time Yoona gets an idea. Her necklace. The necklace she is wearing. The necklace that her second person, doctor Choi Seunghyun, gave to her. The pendant. She takes the pendant. There is a picture of a couple there. A couple that is supposed to be her real parents. And that couple is, without a doubt, the bride and the groom who are sitting in front of her.

...

“In Thailand, beach is where I am going to be when it’s summer. Shouldn’t we go to beach, Hae?” Nichkhun initiates a conversation when both of them are bringing the old newspaper to the recycle bin.

“Yeah... I think so.” Donghae answers thinking that beach will be perfect as a place to confess his feelings to Yoona. “But we can’t help it. Hyukkie needs our help.” He continues. Nichkhun only nods and after finishing their task, they go back to the cafe.

“Should I confess? In this place? In this cafe? It’s not that romantic.” Donghae says to himself.

Yoona notices that Donghae once again stops cleaning the table in the corner of the room. She approaches him.

“Haechi... when are you going to finish cleaning?” She taps his shoulder.

Donghae is kinda surprised.

“Ah neh neh... Aishhh, even Hyukkie doesn’t complain. Why should you be bothered?” He says.

“Because I have been watching you for a while. You look like you are very out of place, Hae. What’s wrong? Did something bad happen?” Yoona questions him.

“This is it. Maybe this is my chance.” Donghae declares inside his heart. He looks around and it seems like they are quite distant from their friends who are busily working.

“Yeahhh... actually...” Donghae starts. “There is something that disturbs me...”

“What? Is it that bad?” Yoona looks worried.

“Well, not bad actually. Look, Yoong... I want to tell you something.” Donghae stares at Yoona’s endearing eyes.

“...”

There is a slight silence before he starts.

“I... you know... we’ve been friends for so long and... sometimes I wonder whether or not I should say this to you. I just can’t keep it anymore... All this time, I lov-”

Donghae stops himself, realizing that there is something weird going on. He tilts his head to see who is standing behind Yoona. It’s the genius Cho Kyuhyun.

“Yahhh, Cho Kyuhyun! When did you get there?” Donghae frowns.

“Just right now.” Kyuhyun shortly replies. Yoona has turned around to have a look at her cousin’s boyfriend. Yoona and Donghae see the cam that Kyuhyun is holding.

“What is that?” Donghae asks. He is still mad.

“A Cam. Can’t you see? I found it inside one of the drawers. I’m checking if it’s still working or not. Apparently, it’s working well and you two just become the firts two persons to be recorded. Thank you for your time.” Kyuhyun grins innocently. This guy doesn’t have any idea that he just destroyed Donghae’s moment.

Yoona only smiles and before she get back to Donghae, Sooyoung’s voice can be heard all over the place.

“YAHHHH!!! EVERYONE!!! TIME TO PLAYYYYYY!!!” She screams. Everyone is already outside the cafe.

Yoona doesn’t skip a second to run towards the door. She opens the door and steps outside only to be greeted by a water balloon thrown by Sooyoung. Siwon, Nichkhun, Hyukjae, and Seohyun only laugh.

“CHOI SOOYOUNGGGGG!!!” Yoona yells but it’s useless for she gets another splash of water. This time, it’s her cousin.

“YAHHHH!!!” She yells and she joins the water war. Yoona throws one at Sooyoung. Sooyoung tries to throw back but she fails. Siwon scores at Nichkhun. Kyuhyun and Donghae later joins the war. They are only young people enjoying the summer. One of them still think about confessing. At the other side, Nichkhun can’t take his eyes from Yoona. While the Yoona is playing around, Nichkhun finds his heart skips a beat. He thinks that he must be really in love with Yoona. He has thought about it for a while now and he is convinced. He can’t wait to let Yoona knows about his feelings.

...

Yoona doesn’t know what to do. She can’t comprehend anything right now. Everything is just too mind-blowing.

The bride and the groom doesn’t say a word as well until the car stops. The couple gets off from the car. Yoona observes the place. A simple house. Green and wide garden. Big apple tree. It looks perfect. She decides to follow the couple. Ever since she arrives at this so-called heaven, all that she does is following everything that she can follow.

“You two...” She finally makes a sound from behind.

“Ahhh... yeah, we forget to introduce ourselves.” The bride smiles and then bows while saying “Go Ara imnida.” The groom follows after, saying “Kim Sangbum imnida.”

“It can’t be... you two can’t be my parents, can you?!”

The bride and the groom look at each other before looking back at Yoona.

“We are... Yoona-yah... we are your parents.” Admitted Ara.

Yoona can’t hold her tears anymore. They freely fall right after she hears the truth. Yoona turns around and then she runs. She runs to leave that place. Of all the people she can think of, she hopes that they aren’t her parents. They are the people she really doesn’t want to meet at this moment.

She’s just not ready.

...

After helping Hyukjae, everyone went home before coming again to the cafe where they will celebrate Siwon’s birthday. Donghae still can’t succeed his mission.

One by one people are coming back. Donghae and Siwon are the first. They start preparing the table and other things for their barbecue party. Later on, Yoona arrives followed by Sooyoung and then Nichkhun. Seohyun and Kyuhyun are the last as they bring the birthday cake for Siwon. They sing the happy birthday song for Siwon. Siwon makes his wish, a quite long wish actually, before blowing the candle. Finally they start the barbecue party.

They talk. They kid around. They eat. They talk again. They sing together. They laugh. They share a very great moment. They create a beautiful memory tonight.

“Ahhh... How can I forget to bring the fireworks?!” Yoona grumbles.

“You didn’t bring it? Aigooo... we should forget about it then.” Kyuhyun comments.

“No, you shouldn’t. I’ll go back to my home and take it. It won’t take too long. I promise.” Yoona tries to cheer up the atmosphere.

“I’ll go with you.” Nichkhun says. “I mean, I’ll drive you home. It will be faster.” He offers.

“Sure... Thanks Khun. Let’s go.” Answered Yoona.

They are about to go when Donghae remembers something important Originally, Nichkhun would use this as his chance to be with Yoona and away from the others. Nichkhun would confess. Yoona would accepted him. When they came back from Yoona’s house, they declared their relationship. That was what Donghae should change.

“I’ll go too.” Donghae suddenly exclaims. The thought of Yoona being distant disturbs him.

“Yahhh, Khun is enough. I don’t think-”

“I insist. Is that ok, Khun?” Donghae cuts Yoona and Yoona only nods. Nichkhun can’t refuse.

Right after that, Sooyoung’s cell phone rings. It’s really loud since she forgets to set it to vibrating mode.

“Sorry... kekeke.” Sooyoung smiles and reads the message. Her face turns gloomy.

“Sooyoung, wae?” Yoona asks.

“Neh, can I leave for a while as well?” Sooyoung asks hesitantly.

“Where are you going?” Kyuhyun asks.

“Are you coming back soon?” Siwon adds. Sooyoung doesn't know how to answer that.

“Don’t tell me. Is that from one of your ex-boyfriends?” Yoona tries to guess. Sooyoung nods and Donghae can notice the changing expression on Siwon’s face.

“He says he feels really lonely and if it is possible, he wants me to watch a movie with him right now.” Sooyoung explains before adding, “He is not used to be lonely, I guess.”

“Is he only contacting you when he feels lonely?” Donghae says agitatedly.

“Isn’t it clear? He is only using you, Sooyoungie. Can’t you see it?! He dumped you and now he wanted you again. After that, he will dump you again. Aishhh... I don’t get it why you want to see him.” Said Donghae again.

“I know that!” Sooyoung admits. “I know that Lee Donghae so I don’t need you to remind me about how stupid I am.” She continues.

“...”

There is a constant silence.

Tears are threatening Sooyoung’s eyes.

“Just go.” Siwon voices out. “If you still like him then you should go, Soo. We have celebrated my birthday too many times together. Skipping one of them would be ok.” He manages to stare at Sooyoung and smiles.

“Neh... thank you...” She shortly answers and then leaves.

Donghae knows it actually breaks Siwon’s heart.

No one says anything for a while until Yoona breaks the silence.

“Well then... I guess we should burn the fireworks without Sooyoung then. Khun, Haechi, let’s go.” Yoona commands the two boys. The three of them leave but there is something that still disturbs Donghae. He keeps looking back at Siwon. When they are outside the cafe, they see Sooyoung stops a taxi and then goes with it.

Donghae knows this isn’s right.

“Yoong, Khun, you just go. There is something I need to do.” Said Donghae and he goes back to the cafe. He knows he probably will lose again this time. But he just can’t let Siwon suffers anymore. He needs to do something for Siwon. He is too selfless, even at crucial time like this.

Siwon, Hyukjae, Kyuhyun, and Seohyun can’t say any word when they see Donghae because he quickly speaks up his mind when he enters the room.

“Choi Siwon!” Donghae yells.

“Yahh, what’s wrong with you?” Siwon confusedly asks.

“What are you doing?” Donghae pauses. “Go and chase after her. Go and take Sooyoung back here. Why are you letting her go? Why did you suggest her to go to her ex? Why didn’t you stop her and tell her to stay instead?”

“Aigooo, why should I stop her? She is an adult. I am not her parents.” Siwon drinks his beer after saying it.

“You will regret it.” Donghae adds.

“I won’t regret it.” Siwon confesses. “Sooyoung... Choi Sooyoung... she is someone I can’t hold even when I stretch my arms.”

“But you haven’t even tried it and you give up already?!” Donghae argues back. “You must know that you are watching your chance slips away!”

Donghae doesn’t stop there as he continues, “Besides, it’s not about regreting or not. It’s about being honest to yourself Choi Siwon!!!”

Kyuhyun, Seohyun, and Hyukjae know that they better keep quiet.

...

Yoona keeps running away. She doesn’t know why she runs away. She just can’t stay. Her tears keep falling. She feels a bit tired but she keeps running.

She wishes to know who her real parents are but it’s too sudden. She can’t contain the feelings at the moment. Her feelings are mixed. Between happiness and madness. She is happy her wish is granted. But she can’t deny that she is so mad to meet the father who abandoned her. And she thinks about how her parents who adopted her have been hiding the truth for years. It’s so depressing for Yoona.

She is consumed by her own thoughts and feelings that she doesn’t pay attention to the road. She trips over a stone. She falls on the ground. She doesn’t feel anything though. There is no bleeding. Everything is ok.

However, she can’t stand again. She just keeps crying there.

Yoona is really hopeless or so she thinks.

All of the sudden, she is being lifted by a couple of soft hands. She turns around to see who it is when she finally stands on her feet.

It’s the bride. Go Ara. Her mother.

To Ara’s surprise, Yoona suddenly hugs her while crying out loud. She tightens the hug. Ara hugs her and pats Yoona’s back.

“It’s ok... it’s ok my lovely daughter.” Said Ara.

People tend to say that they finally found love. Like love is a hidden thing. But love is an abstract. It has different meaning for each person. And Yoona just found another love. Love that has been lost for years. Love that she thought she has had it.

She felt like she is lost before but now she has been found.

“Let’s walk together...” Said Ara and then they start walking side by side. They are going back to the house. Not too far, Yoona can see Sangbum, her father, waiting for them.

“Look at you... you are really beautiful. You have my eyes. But you have your father’s smiles.” Commented Ara. They are holding each other’s hand.

It’s still a bit awkward for Yoona but a little curve can be noticed on her lips.

“It must be really awkward for you.” Ara tightens her grip. Yoona is taken a back. She observes Ara and once again she admits that her mother is really beautiful. Her long black hair. She must have inherited it from Ara. Her white skin. Everything about the bride is perfect in Yoona’s eyes.

“There you are.” Sangbum welcomes Yoona and Ara. He smiles. And based on that smile alone, Yoona understands why Ara fell for him. No one can hate that smile. And even though Yoona is still really angry about his father, she remembers that she had promised to forgive him. Besides, she needs explanantion first.

“Here we are.” Ara smiles to her husband.

They arrive once again in front of the house.

“Welcome to my heaven.” Ara tells Yoona and while everything seems alright now, Yoona can’t help but to still see her real parents as some strangers she just met. They are still strangers after all. She just met them. It is their very first encounter.

Yoona is excited. And at the same time, she is so anxious. She wants to know them more. She hopes she learns a great lesson from her parents.

She manages to calm herself.

...

“Sooyoungie... where are you?” Asked Siwon.

“In the taxi. Why? Why are you suddenly calling me?”

“Where are you heading to?” Siwon is driving his own car.

“Coex Mall. I’m going to watch movie. You know it right?!” Sooyoung answers but Siwon has hung up. It makes the tall girl frowns.

“Stupid!” She mumbles.

Meanwhile, Donghae is chasing his luck.

He had tried to get a taxi but it seemed like all the taxis were occupied so he decided to run towards Yoona’s house. He doesn’t know whether Nichkhun has confessed or not but at least he wants to try. He doesn’t want to be like a fool after lecturing Siwon. He doesn’t want to give up. Thus he keeps running.

Siwon has arrived at Coex Mall. Without wasting a single second, he proceeds to look for Sooyoung after parking his car.

Siwon runs and hopes he is not too late. He is going to the cinema. It’s easy to notice Sooyoung since she is really tall and Siwon is thankful for that. He can see her figure.

“Choi Sooyoung!!! Choi Sooyoung!!! Yahhh, Sooyoungie!” Siwon grabs her hand. They are right in front of the cinema.

“What?!” Sooyoung asks, staring at Siwon.

“I think that it’s better not to go.” Said Siwon.

Sooyoung chuckles. “Are you kidding me? I’m here already. Moreover, it’s you who told me to go.”

“I guess I change my mind.” Siwon reasons out.

“Stupid.” Sooyoung says and tries to free her hand from Siwon’s. Siwon tightens his grip though.

“I just don’t want you to go.” Siwon states.

“I know I am stupid but I want you to know that I hope you don’t go to see him anymore.” Added Siwon. “I also want to clear all of our misunderstandings. We have been in bad term for too long now. And I don’t want that. Look... let’s go back.”

That time, Sooyoung’s cell phone rings once again. It’s a call from her ex-boyfriend. Siwon releases Sooyoung’s hand. He has tried and now he will let her decides.

Sooyoung thinks deeply about it.

“Fine then. I guess I should go back to the cafe.” Sooyoung makes up her mind and she rejects the call.

Siwon smiles.

“But I will go there by my own. See you there Choi Siwon!” Sooyoung continues while leaving Siwon. The guy doesn’t try to ask Sooyoung to go back with him. He is glad that Sooyoung decides to go back. He is glad that he is given another chance. He surely won’t let this chance slips away.

At the same time, Yoona and Nichkhun have had the fireworks with them and are about to enter Nichkhun’s car in front of Yoona’s house.

“Yoona-yah...” Nichkhun stops the girl.

“Neh?”

“Actually... I was thinking about something...” Nichkhun is really nervous.

“What is it?”

“It is... Actually... Emmm...” His words are random. “We’ve known each other for several years now and we often spend our time together...”

Yoona is waiting for what Nichkhun will say but in the end she won’t get it as Donghae has come.

“Yoongie-ahhh!!!” Donghae shouts.

“Haechi?” Yoona is surprised. “Why are you so rushed? What are you doing here anyway?”

“I just want to check the fireworks as well.” Donghae reasons.

“But I told you I will get it. By the way, did you just run from the cafe to here?”

“Nehhh. It’s not that far so it’s ok.” Donghae is still panting.

“You always do something weird, kekeke. Let’s go back then. Ahhh, Khun, what were you trying to say again?”

“Nevermind. We better come back now.” Nichkhun’s answer relieves Donghae but at the same time he can see how miserable Nichkhun is. For his own happiness, Donghae knows he makes Nichkhun miserable. Donghae wonders why his fate is so despairing.

...

“You too?” Asked Yoona. She has so many questions inside her head. She wants to know many things and in the end, she choose to ask this question first. “You met people who taught you some lessons too?”

Both Ara and Sangbum nod. The three of them are in the garden, sitting on a flower-pattern mat like how a family would have a picnic.

“And they explain everything? And that makes things different?”

“Very different.” Sangbum answers.

Ara smiles then says “And after that, I... we... we wait for you...”

“How much do you know about me? How much do you know about me since...” It’s still hard for Yoona to say this.

“Since you died?” Guessed Sangbum.

Ara flips her beautiful hair. “We know everything that happened when we were alive... And now we know why those things happened to us.”

“And we also know that... that you detest us, me especially...” Added Sangbum. “For leaving you...”

“We don’t have any idea how you died.” Said Ara.

Yoona thinks and replies. “I can’t really recall as well.” She tries to remember. “I was driving. It was fast. It was when I turned the car. There was a little boy. I tried to avoid him.”

Her parents look curious but it’s difficult for Yoona to tell them a story about her death.

“It was my engagement day. It was supposed to be a merry day. I talked to my friends. My relatives. So many people came and congratulated me. Then I was looking for my parents. I mean my parents who adopted me. They were no where. I kept looking and finally found them. I overheard their conversation. I heard that I was adopted. I was so angry. I was so upset. Why didn’t they tell me the truth from the beginning? I was lost. I felt lost. I shouldn’t have acted that way but I couldn’t help it. I then ran. I used my friend’s car. I didn’t know where I was heading that time. I just followed the road randomly. And then it happened. That little boy... he blocked my way or didn’t he... I...” Yoona can't seem to continue. She doesn't really remember about Taemin, the boy whom she is talking about.

Yoona stops. Her parents stare at her, encouraging her to continue the story. Yoona can’t seem to continue, though. She inhales. She takes a deep breath.

“I think I never talked this much ever since I came here.” Said Yoona.

Ara and Sangbum nod and give Yoona a soft smile.

And suddenly a big amount of feelings, if you can count those feelings, flows inside Yoona’s system. Her eyes are starting to be wet again. Sadness overcomes her. Everything feels like nothing. Her death, her dream of becoming a doctor, everything about her and that she knows. Everything is nothing. Why she does what she did. Is she really in heaven? Is she really there, having a conversation with her real parents? Her past emotions embrace her. They overpower her. She stares at her parents. Her real parents. Her young parents who left her. Who she used to think should be blamed for everything. She no longer can stare at them.

“I’m sorry...” Yoona manages to say with her trembling voice. “I just can’t believe I am actually talking to you...”

...

“Ahhh... it was so fun.” Said Sooyoung when they enter the cafe again after playing around with the fireworks.

“Yoona, I will keep the remaining fireworks here, ok?” Hyukjae puts the fireowrks inside a drawer.

“Neh neh...” Yoona approves.

“Yoong... few minutes... can we go outside?” Donghae suddenly asks Yoona. He wants to confess. He thinks that this is the perfect time. He just needs to be with Yoona outside the cafe and tells her his feelings.

“Now?” The girl raises her eyebrows.

“Yes.” Answered Donghae and Yoona agrees. Both of them are walking towards the door when Siwon opens the door from outside.

“Where are you two going?” Siwon stops Yoona and Donghae.

“Ehh... that...” Donghae can’t answer properly.

“The party isn’t over yet. Let’s play truth or dare.” Siwon carelessly pull the two back inside where the others are gathering.

“Hey hey... let’s play truth or dare!” Siwon commands and people seem excited. They circle around one of the tables. Donghae is irritated but he can’t help it.

“Fine... after this... after this then I will surely confess.” Donghae says to himself.

After five turns, which Kyuhyun, Hyukjae, Yoona, Seohyun, and Kyuhyun again opted the truth and answered some unimportant questions, everyone seems tired already.

“This will be the last I guess. After this we will take a picture as usual.” Siwon says and then he turns around the soft drink bottle. The bottle points at Nichkhun.

“Khun, truth or dare?” Kyuhyun, the defending champion, asks the new champion.

“Hmmm... dare.” Nichkhun bravely tells the other. However, no one can come up with an idea as to what Nichkhun should do. That’s when Nichkhun decides for himself.

“Then... how about I dare myself?” He speaks.

“Nehhh?” Said everyone.

“I will dare myself. Is that ok?!” Nichkhun begs.

“Well, I think it’s ok. What is it then?” Asked Siwon.

“I... I... I dare myself to confess my feelings for Yoona.” There Nichkhun just said it.

“I think I like her more than just a friend. Ever since we met, her beautiful eyes and smile have captivated me. I finally realized that I have fallen for her. Thus... I want her to know about it.” Nichkhun smiles, facing the table for he can’t seem to face the others’ faces.

Donghae’s heart is cut into pieces. It really hurts.

Nichkhun slowly lifts his head only to see the surprised faces of his friends. Yoona can’t concentrate. She is so confused. To receive a confession at such time is just confusing. She can’t react properly.

“Yahhhh, don’t you think about your timing and the place to confess?!” Kyuhyun suddenly comments.

“Ehhh? Really? Sorry then... I wasn’t really careful.” Nichkhun looks upset.

“You are always like that!” Seohyun supports his boyfriend. Everyone smiles. Yoona is finally able to smile. Except Donghae.

“You are so brave and cool, Nichkhun-oppa.” Added Seohyun. “It is so heartwarming to hear what you just said. Your honesty and to think that you dared yourself for this... I think any girl can’t be unhappy to hear your confession.”

“Neh... it is a great privilege to hear that, Khun-ah.” Sooyoung supports Seohyun.

“So, is this the birth of a new couple?” Kyuhyun teases Yoona and Nichkhun. Yoona still can’t react properly. She doesn’t know what to do or what to say. She only smiles.

“Well, let’s continue with taking picture. I don’t really hope for an instant answer actually. As I said before, I just wanted Yoona to know my feelings for her. That’s all. Sorry and thank you for your attention.” The well-mannered Thai then makes a little bow to everyone.

“I’ll prepare the camera then.” Hyukjae informs.

Seohyun makes Yoona and Nichkhun stands next to each other while the others are linig up as well. They put four chairs where Seohyun, Kyuhyun, Siwon, and Donghae sit. Behind them, Nichkhun, Yoona, and Sooyoung are ready as well. One spot left beside Sooyoung is for Hyukjae who is preparing the self-timer. Nichkhun and Yoona steal a glance at each other and they shyly smiles when their eyes meet.

Donghae can’t say anything. He is so lost. He can’t accept his stupidity. He always focuses on timing and location. He thinks that Nichkhun is really an amazing person for being able to confess in that simple way. “I really lost.” Donghae tells himself. In the end, it’s Donghae who continuously watching his chance slips away.

“On 5 everyone...” Hyukjae exclaims as he hurriedly walk to his spot beside Sooyoung.

Everyone smiles. Donghae smiles a little, unable to hide his bitterness. He just failed again.

Mission unaccomplished.

...

With her parents, Yoona wishes to have more time with them. Nothing else. She doesn’t know actually how many hours she has spent with them. Maybe several days. How could she know that? They never sleep here. No sunrise. No sunset as well. There is no schedule in afterlife.

They have gone back to the white corridor with wooden doors across it.

They have travelled through the door one by one. Yoona sees various moments of love and affection inside every door. Therefore she feels like she has been with them for days. They have opened and closed so many doors. Their journey is accompanied with stories. Stories from Yoona. Stories from Ara. Stories from Sangbum.

Their hobbies. What food they like. What movies they like to watch. What things they dislike. They share their individual stories. Ara and Sangbum then share their love story. How they meet like what Yoona saw when she met her third person. How Sangbum proposed. How they prepared the wedding. How the wedding was. Everything but what happened after the marriage is left unsaid.

Yoona has the urge to ask about their life after marriage but she keeps it to herself. She knows that it will be told later.

Yoona shares her stories with Nichkhun. She talks about Donghae. About Seohyun and Kyuhyun. About Siwon and Sooyoung. About Hyukjae. About Sooyeon. About the first person she met in heaven. The tanned-girl. Then Choi Seunghyun. Then Kim Hyoyeon. She talked about everything and her parents listen to them very well but seem like they have known about it.  

But when Yoona mentions Eunhyuk, her parents smile.

“You know him?” Asked Yoona.

“Not really.” Ara answers.

“Who is he? I mean... I want to know who he really is.”

“To us, he is merely a known-name. That’s it. Not less. Not more.” Explained Sangbum and Yoona doesn’t make any effort to know more.

They open another door right now and it is another wedding ceremony.

It looks familiar to Yoona’s eyes.

“We need to prepare, Yoona.” Said Ara.

“This is our wedding.” Sangbum reveals.

And Yoona understands why it looks familiar. She just heard about it before and now she is going to see it.

...

Donghae opens his eyes. The photo has completely changed. Sooyoung is there with them.

“It’s over.” Donghae mumbles. “It’s all over now.”

“How many times can you bear failing, Lee Donghae?” It’s Jessica.

“You rely too much on timing and place. I will say it when there are only the two of us. I will say it after playing the game. I will say it when we have a romantic dinner. I will say it when we go the beach together. You think about those little things too much. You forget the important one. Your own confession.”

Donghae can’t say anything.

“I just... I’m sorry...” He can only apologize.

Jessica doesn’t reply.

“I think that we should forget it.” Donghae then continues.

“Huh?”

It’s hard for Donghae to continue actually but he manages to explain. “I want to give up. I don’t want to travel through time again. Let’s end it now.”

“Is that ok? Are you ok with that?”

“I have already given up.” He says it clearly.

Jessica stares at the miserable guy.

“I understand...” Sadness can be noticed in her tone. “I won’t force you.”

“Up until now... Thank you very much for your help.” Donghae stands up and makes a deep bow to Jessica.

“You don’t need to thank me.” Jessica is very hesitant but she finally flicks her fingers.

Everything is normal again. Several knocks can be heard and the door is opened. It’s Kyuhyun.

“Do you guys want some snacks?” Kyuhyun brings some snacks. Donghae doesn’t respond.

“Yesss... of course!” Sooyoung can’t be happier.

Donghae has sit again on his chair. He still stares at the photo.

“Yahhh, Choi Sooyoung, you really can put anything inside your mouth, neh?” Commented Siwon.

“I don’t care and besides, you still love me no matter what, right?!” Sooyoung responds.

“Yeah... I should admit that. Moreover, you need those food to gain some wight.” Said Siwon before planting a kiss on Sooyoung’s forehead.

Donghae is really taken a back. “Yahhh...” He unconsciously says. “You two... are you dating?”

Siwon, Sooyoung, and Kyuhyun looks at Donghae in disbelief.

“Why do you sound like you don’t know at all?!” Asked Siwon. “Are you ok, Hae?” He adds.

“Ahhh neh... I’m ok.” Donghae replies.

“Can this be true?” Donghae asks himself. He ponders. “The present has changed.” He states inside his mind. He regrets telling Jessica about giving up.

 

 

~TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY FOR YOONA~

"Really?" Nichkhun wants to confirm.

Yoona nods and then smiles. Nichkhun's cheeks turn red in instant. So do Yoona's cheeks.

They are smiling together. Yoona just accepted Nichkhun's confession.

They are in front of Yoona's house. Nichkhun just drove her home.

Today is really special for Yoona. She moves one more step away from Donghae.

She wants to move on. She is now officially someone else's girlfriend.

 

**********

A/N

Oh my God, I'm truly sorry for being so lazy to update this fic. Dear all my readers and subscribers, please forgive me T.T I don't know how to make it up. I'll try to update faster. Thank you for much for being loyal and understanding everyone.