Chance 9

Heaven, Happiness, & Chance [HIATUS]

 

CHANCE #NINE
“Is apologizing enough to make it up?”


Donghae is absorbed by his own toughts.

“I am really pathetic. Even though I kissed her, I couldn’t even confess. Stupid.”

And then he remembers about the bad news that Jessica talked about before. That is when he realizes what it really means.

“Damnnn!!!” Donghae says.

The next photo that Donghae sees is really a bad news for him. It is the photo of Yoona’s birthday back then and Donghae wasn’t there. There were only Yoona and Nichkhun.

“Why do I have this photo?” Donghae asks himself then he remembers that Yoona gave it to him so Donghae will always remember that he was a bad childhood friend who forgot her birthday. Again.

“Neh... Siwon-ah...” Donghae calls Siwon.

“Wae?” Answered Siwon.

“Why are there no more photos taken before this one? I mean... from the previous photos to this one... I think there is almost one year gap... We have more photos before this one, right?” Donghae shows the birthday photo and the photo before that to Siwon.

“Yah... this is your photo album... how would I answer that question...?” Siwon argues.

“Damn...” Donghae mutters to himself. It was that day when Nichkhun and Yoona got really close. It was because he didn’t celebrate Yoona’s birthday that day, that Nichkhun and Yoona started to notice and cared each other more.

“I’m not even in this photo... how would I change it then? Aishhh...” Donghae talks to himself again.

“It is really bad...” He continues.

“Ahhh... that photo...” Sooyoung speaks up.

“Yoona said... it was her saddest birthday ever. Only with Nichkhun... and they celebrated it in the campus’s research office... but she also said that she was really thankful to Nichkhun that day.” Sooyoung adds only to make Donghae suffers more. Deeper.

“It was when she turned 20 right?!!! The last day she was a teen... I guess it was really sad that we couldn’t celebrate it with her at that time.” Concluded Sooyoung when Siwon asks Donghae to show him the photo.

“She even cried... her puffy eyes in this photo are so noticeable... We should had celebrated her birthday that day.” Siwon makes Donghae feels even worse.

“Well... after all... that’s the end of Yoona’s teenage day... she must be wondering about the things she couldn’t do... I mean... for me... when we are celebrating the coming of the age day... isn’t it just natural for us to be thinking about what we had done all this time... and we realize that there are still many things that we want to do in our teenage days, we then can only regret...” Sooyoung speaks up again.

No one talks again.

“Wae...?” Donghae asks himself.

“Wae it’s Nichkhun who celebrated Yoona’s 20th birthday with her?!” Donghae is frustrated.

“Why couldn’t it be me? Why did I break my promise again? Stupid!!!” It tortures Donghae.

“Hae... here...” Siwon returns the photo.

Donghae looks at the photo again.

“Aishhh... I want to go to the past but how could I go now??? I’m not even in the photo...” Donghae ponders and even though he is already used to it, he is still a bit surprised when Jessica appears again. The blonde girl sits beside Siwon.

Sooyoung and Siwon have frozen.

“Jessica-sshi... you come... but... I’m not in this photo, right?” Donghae asks.

“Look at the photo carefully... you are there.” Said Jessica.

“Where?” Donghae insists.

“Look closely, Donghae-sshi... look at what Yoona-sshi holds...” Countered Jessica.

And Donghae now understands what Jessica means. In the photo, Yoona holds the photo that was taken when they had a barbecue party before. It looks blur and small but Donghae can actually sees his own figure.

“Does it count?” Donghae doubts it actually.

“Who says it doesn’t? Probably... Yoona-sshi missed all of her friends that time... kekeke...” Jessica confirms to Donghae.

“But... it’s... it is unbelivable that it counts...” Donghae still can’t believe.

“Donghae-sshi... you are always jumping into conclusion by yourself... giving up before trying harder... Well... it actually applies to humans in general. If you can’t believe you can make it... then how things will go the way you want it to be? How would it be changed then if you already closed the door into happiness?” Explained Jessica.

“Donghae-sshi... it needs more than a chance... even though you do the right things... it won’t be easy to break the tie between Yoona-sshi and Nichkhun-sshi...” Jessica continues.

“You are right... you are right about that...” Donghae admits.

Jessica is somewhat disappointed by Donghae’s last comment. It feels like Donghae just gave up.

“I just told you about giving up too easily and no-” Jessica is cut by Donghae.

“I know you are right but I still want to try!!!” Donghae stares at Jessica.

Jessica makes a curve with her lips then she sends Donghae to the past.

...

Donghae opens his eyes and what he hears first is Kyuhyun’s voice. He feels a bit cold though.

“You are worrieed for nothing Hyunnie...” Kyuhyun starts raising his voice.

“But I... is it wrong to be worried?” Seohyun can’t hold her anger anymore.

Seohyun and Kyuhyun are having their first major argument, in front of Hyukjae, Yoona, Siwon, Sooyoung, and Donghae, in the cafe.

“But I told you I’m ok hundred times. I need to study until midnight and I am ok with that!!! I told you, you don’t need to worry but you keep bothering me instead... asking me to take care of myself more and stop staying up until morning! I’m really annoyed!!!” Kyuhyun almost shouts. He never did that before to Seohyun. Seohyun’s eyes get teary.

“But I think there is nothing wrong with my words. It’s not good for your body. You are going to be a doctor. Shouldn’t you take care of yourself firstly before being able to take care your patients???! I know it’s ann-” Seohyun is unfortunately interrupted.

“SEO JUHYUN!!! STOP IT ALREADY!!! IT STRESSES ME OUT!!! LET’S BREAK UP!!!” Kyuhyun says it clearly. He says those stupid words.

Everyone gasps at shock.

Kyuhyun is a very generous, sincere, and yeah... genius person. He is really caring for Seohyun. This is the very first time they see Kyuhyun being really angry.

Seohyun can’t hold her tears anymore.

She cries and she runs but before she opens the door, Kyuhyun adds “I’ll go to your place to take some of my books that I left there...” only to make Seohyun feels sadder.

“I’ll go chasing her.” Said Yoona and she exits the cafe as well, chasing her cousin.

Everyone doesn’t speak.

“Sorry...” Said Kyuhyun and he decides to leave that place.

Once Kyuhyun leaves, Sooyoung stares at both Donghae and Siwon.

“Shouldn’t you guys go after him?” She asks. “He needs someone to talk to.” She emphasizes.

“I think he wants to be alone right now.” Siwon answers but Sooyoung protests.

“Aigooo... I’m going to talk to him then... you guys need to be more sensitive.” Sooyoung then leaves after saying that and now, there are only Hyukjae, Donghae, and Siwon in the cafe. There are no other customers there.

“Problems... it’s everywhere neh...” Siwon starts filling the silence.

“Cough... cough...” Donghae only coughs. He feels really cold. “Am I sick?” Donghae asks himself. He remembers about the fight but he forgets about being sick. He actually forgets some important parts of this past.

...

“Neh... neh... where are you now?” Siwon talks to his cellphone.

“Ok. I got it. I’ll be there for sure. See you. Just wait there.” Siwon looks panic.

“I’m going... are you staying here Hae?” Siwon asks Donghae. Both are still in the cafe. Hyukjae is serving a guest that just came into the cafe.

“Where are you going?” Asked Donghae.

“Need to help my friend.” Siwon quickly answers. “Want to go with me?” Siwon asks.

“Hmmmm...” Donghae thinks. He doesn’t remember about this part. He thinks that probably he rejected the offer before.

“Yahh, hurry up.” Siwon looks in a hurry.

“Fine then... cough... cough...” Donghae ends with some coughs. He gets a cold for sure. He agrees to follow Siwon. He surely changes something here.

Siwon and Donghae then say their goodbyes to Hyukjae and walk to Siwon’s car.

Meanwhile, Sooyoung is with Kyuhyun.

“Cho Kyuhyun!!! You are so stupid!” Sooyoung says. The two of them are walking to where Seohyun lives.

“Look the one who talks here... Don’t lecture me while you have your own habbit of changing boyfriends Choi Sooyoung!!! I don’t need that.” Kyuhyun grumbles but he doesn’t mean to be mean actually.

“I’m not and I won’t ever talk about my habbit. I just want to ask... what’s wrong with you?” Asked Sooyoung and amazingly, Kyuhyun stops walking.

“...”

Kyuhyun doesn’t even spill a word out from his mouth.

Sooyoung stands behind him. Seohyun’s apartment building is already visible from where they stand right now.

“Are you sure you want to break up with Seohyun?” Asked the tall girl.

“Do you think I have any other option? I already hurt her.” Kyuhyun hopelessly replies.

“Well... you could just apologize...” Sooyoung suggests.

“Is that enough?” Kyuhyun sounds weaker and he decides to continue walking. Sooyoung can’t do anything and only follows him from behind.

At the other hand, in Seohyun’s apartment.

“Juhyun-ah... what are you doing?” Yoona questions her cousin.

“I’m looking for his books that he left here.” Seohyun replies.

“His books? Do you mean Kyu’s books?” Yoona says.

“Neh. You heard it too unnie... He... He wants to take it back. I need... I need... I need to... to prepare the books for him.” Seohyun holds her tears.

“I know... I know it but... but is it just like that then? I mean... is it ok for you?” Yoona just can keep asking her innocent and pure cousin.

There is a long pause before Seohyun answers.

“As long as he is happy... I’ll do what he wants...” Seohyun concludes and Yoona doesn’t have any other choice but to help Seohyun in the end.

...

“Where are we going exactly Choi Siwon, cough...” Donghae asks.

“Picking up my friends...” Siwon shortly answers.

It is really clear that Siwon drives the car furiously and in a very fast speed.

“But you need to calm down... I mean... Why do you look so hurry?” Asked Donghae again.

“Because I need to. Stop talking, can you?!!!” Siwon raises his voice a bit and it surprises Donghae. Donghae is taken a back. Donghae decides to be quiet. Donghae understands that there must be something that bothers Siwon right now. Actually, Donghae doesn’t have the guts to ask his friend. Siwon is always mysterious. Even when they are really close, Siwon is the most introvert one. Siwon never talks about his problems.

“...” No one talks but Siwon realizes how he just made Donghae feels uneasy.

“Sorry Hae... sorry... I didn’t mean it... Just... Nothing...” Siwon apologizes and Donghae replies with a simple “It’s ok.”

They finally stop in front of a hotel. Siwon looks for his mobile phone and once he gets it, he makes a call.

“Fany-ah... I’m in front of the hotel already. Sorry to make you wait.” Siwon talks to the other line and after that he ends the call. Donghae keeps silent. The shorter boy even tries his best not to cough anymore.

About 10 minutes later, Donghae can see there are two girls coming out from the hotel. It seems like the two are approaching Siwon’s car.

“There they are.” Said Siwon as he gets off from the car. Donghae doesn’t have other choice but to follow Siwon’s movement.

“Are you alright?” Said Siwon to one of the girls with shorter haircut. Siwon hugs her.

“Is she his girlfriend?” Donghae ponders inside his heart.

“Yuri-sshi... how are you? Sorry for being late.” Siwon then talks to the other girl who has such tanned skin. Both are pretty girls actually.

“Ahhh... this is my friend...” Siwon then introduces Donghae. Donghae bows to both of the girls.

“Neh... annyeong... Lee Donghae imnida.” Said Donghae and he is thinking that Siwon is crazy for setting up a double date.

“Hwang Miyoung imnida but you can call me Fany actually...” Tiffany returns Donghae’s polite introduction.

Donghae notices the weird accent so he is convinced that Tiffany must be a Korean who doesn’t live in the Korea.

“Kwon Yuri imnida.” The other girl introduces herself.

“Ok, don’t waste your time then. Get in the car. Let me take care of your luggage, Fany-ah.” Said Siwon as he orders the girls to get in the car while he and Donghae take care of Fany’s luggage. They put the luggage into the car and in less than a minute they are ready to leave that place. Siwon still looks in a hurry. Donghae can’t even ask what happens. He just shuts himself, waiting for the explanation.

Donghae spends his time in the car thinking about what he did before in the original version of this past. He then remembers that originally, he wouldn’t follow Siwon and went back home to rest because he is not feeling well. He then mumbles.

“I was so stupid.” Said Donghae, indicating how regretful he is. “That’s why you forgot to celebrate her birthday! You slept all day and woke the next morning, babo!!!” Continued Donghae.

“What???!” Siwon asks when he can hear the sound of Donghae mumbling those words.

“Nothing...” Apologized Donghae and they continue the silent travel. “But why only Nichkhun celebrated Yoona’s birthday then?!” It confuses Donghae.

They don’t travel silently in that car for a long time though as they enter an apartment building which Donghae recognizes. It is where Siwon lives.

“Is he planning to live with these two girls and ask me to join?” Donghae’s self-thought has gone crazier now.

Siwon parks the car in the underground parking lot. Again, without asking, Donghae just follows what Siwon does as the taller gets off from the car again and takes Fany’s luggage. The two girls come out from the car as well.

“Yuri-sshi... wear this sunglasses.” Siwon offers the sunglasses to Yuri. “You need to cover yourself. Probably your parents have done what we can’t think of.” Siwon tries to assure Yuri.

Yuri wears the sunglasses and after that the four of them go to the underground entrance of the apartment building.

...

“Seo Juhyun!!!” Yoona keeps knocking at the door.

Kyuhyun just took all of his books a minute ago. The guy already leaves. Sooyoung decides to stay in Seohyun’s place while Seohyun has been locking herself up in her own bedroom.

“Juhyun-ahhhh!!! Open the door!” Yoona almost shouts.

“I’m ok unnie!!! Just leave. I want to be alone.” Seohyun replies.

“Yahhh!!!” Yoona keeps knocking the door.

“It’s not about being ok or not Juhyun-ah. It’s about being yourself. You are obviously acting like someone I don’t know. Face him directly. Break up in proper way should you two really need to break up! Well if breaking up is actually the solution, I mean... Only because you keep reminding him to take care of his health then you two decide to break up?!!! Come on... there are many more diffiult problems you will face in the future!!!” Yoona completely tries to reach Seohyun’s heart.

Reason is, she loves her dongsaeng and only Kyuhyun possesses what Yoona wants as Seohyun’s mate. Kyuhyun loves her cousin so much. He takes a really good care of her. It just really feels so unfortunate if Kyuhyun and Seohyun break up for that irrelevant cause.

“Yoona-yah... I think we should let her be alone...” Sooyoung tries to calm Yoona this time.

“Let’s go...” Continued Sooyoung and Yoona obeys her.

The two of them silently leave and it surprises them when they meet Kyuhyun outside the apartment building.

“I’m waiting for you two...” Admitted Kyuhyun.

“Why?” Sooyoung asks.

“Is she ok?” Kyuhyun asks, hoping to get a proper answer.

“Who? Seohyun? Well, she said she is ok but...” Sooyoung is trying to explain but she is cut by Yoona.

“How can you ask that question Cho Kyuhyun?! Of course she isn’t... do you really expect her to be ok like nothing is wrong?!” Yoona stares at him.

“I... I know I was wrong but I completely don’t know what to do right now... I... I was carried away by my temporary madness... plus... there are many other problems that stuck in my head and it really corners me... but again, what should I do now? Should I apologize right now?!”

“Well of course... what else you should do then?” Yoona replies.

“Is that enough? Is apologizing to her enough Yoona-yah...?” Kyuhyun strikes a question back to Yoona and it makes Yoona silenced for a while.

“Is saying I’m sorry to her enough?” Kyuhyun asks again and this time Yoona has the answer.

“Of course... of course it is enough... yah... Cho Kyuhyun...” Yoona holds her anger and tears. She really becomes emotional and sensitive for unexplained reason. “I always think...” Continued Yoona. “I always think you are really smart but maybe I was wrong...”

She pauses.

“Isn’t it very common... Isn’t it the normal and right thing to do... When you make mistakes... It is just right to apologize... You should apologize for the mistake you have done, shouldn’t you?! Even kids know this...” Said Yoona.

“Then what if she doesn’t forgive me?!” Kyuhyun asks back.

“Then you are the most stupid person in this world... Only thinking about getting forgiven or not is really what an idiot will think Kyu... What matters is...” Yoona stops for a second again. “What matters is having the courage to apologize... being forgiven or not is not your problem... it’s her problem... you are really a loser when you don’t even have that courage to apologize...” Stated Yoona and her voice is trembling.

“Of course it is enough only to apologize as long as you sincerely mean it... The problem is... do you have te courage to do that?! If not... then I think you shouldn’t have dated her in the first place...” Finished Yoona as the next thing she and Sooyoung can see is the hurried Kyuhyun, running back into the apartment building.

“...”

Both Sooyoung and Yoona can only stay silent for some time.

“I wonder what he will do...” Sooyoung finally talks.

“I hope he does the right thing.” Replied Yoona.

“To be able to say what you just said to Kyuhyun... It seems like... you have faced that kind of experience when someone didn’t sincerely apologize to you.” Sooyoung starts another topic.

“...”

Yoona thinks.

“Well... you are right... actually... there is someone who always does the same mistake... kekeke...” Yoona finally can smile.

“I think you need a modd-booster and foods will do right?!!!” Sooyoung knows what Yoona wants.

“Of course, kekeke. Let’s go and wait for a happy ending for Kyu and Juhyun...” Concluded Yoona as the two of them start walking towards the Venus-Hyoyeon cafe.

...

“Siwon-ah... what’s this all about? Who are they?” Donghae finally blurts out right after they leave the two girls in Siwon’s apartment.

“...”

No answer.

“Yah!!! Cough! Cough!” Donghae coughs.

“Choi Siwon, answer me!!!” Donghae a bit frowns as Siwon shows no sign of answering.

“Hae... I will... I will explain it to you... in the car... so please... be quiet... I’m really confused as well now.” Siwon pleads and Donghae is mouthing “I’m sorry.” when they enter the lift.

Three minutes have passed and they are already in the car. Siwon starts the engine quickly and they move.

“Fany... she is my childhood friend when I was in the states...” Siwon starts speaking out of nowhere.

“What do you mean? You were in the states?” Donghae asks.

“Neh... I was once living in the states. Our parents are close friends as well. That’s why... I am close to her. She is like my own sister. We always visit each other. Well, it is always me and my family who went to the states actually.” Siwon continues.

“And a year ago, it was finally her turn to visit Korea. It was her first time to visit me. do you remember when I should leave you guys in a hurry the day you introduced Khun to us?” Asked Siwon.

“Ah neh... We were taking the photo and you got a call...” Donghae nods.

“You are actually amazing to remember about that...” Siwon comments. And it’s not amazing consider that Donghae just experienced it some time ago when he went back to the past. Therefore he remembers.

“I got a call from her that time. She said she was already at the airport. I needed to pick her up. However... it seemed like she left the airport without waiting for me. I tried to call her many times but she ignored my calls.” Explained Siwon. He needs to breathe.

“I was panic because I thought something bad happened to her. Hence, I was really relieved when I knew that she was... hmmm... at least alive.” Added Siwon.

“What do you mean? Did something bad really happen, cough...” Donghae is really curious.

“Ehhh... it did. Apparently, she met a girl who in need of help.” Siwon pauses. “Yuri-sshi... they met at that airport.”

“Ahhh... so Yuri-sshi and your childhood friend met at the airport.” Donghae comments.

“Neh... and Yuri-sshi is escaping from her house. She is running from her parents. In the airport, they collided into each other and... eventually... I know this sounds crazy but... they fall in love with each other...” Siwon waits for Donghae’s reaction.

“...”

Donghae is still trying to cultivate the information he just got from Siwon.

“Fall in love?” Donghae mumbles.

“Neh... it’s a pure love between girls... you know... it can actually happen and... and there the problems start...” Siwon proceeds to the main menu.

“Fany lied to Yuri-sshi, saying that she had no one in South Korea and Yuri-sshi... being madly in love with her... offered the help. Yuri-sshi helped Fany to get a hotel and even accompanied her holiday... but that didn’t last long as Yuri-sshi’s parents start hunting their daughter... The two girls exhaustedly run from Yuri-sshi’s parents from one place to the other place. Only then, I got called from Fany and she explained everything... that the two of them would like to protect their love...” Elaborated Siwon.

“I didn’t have any option... I was just relieved that Fany was alright that time and well yeah... a bit shocked actually to know the truth... but I decided to help them out... while they promised to look for any way to solve the issues with Yuri-sshi’s parents.” Siwon adds.

“And we just helped them before? I mean... do we just helped them right now when we sent them to your apartment?” Donghae strikes another question.

“Yes, we did but actually... few months ago... Yuri-sshi had given up... She decided to come back to her parents... She decided to try another approach. She decided to talk to her parents when the time was right. She lied to her parents first, saying that Fany already came back to the states... the truth is, Fany was still in South Korea... and they were secretly dating and seeing each other.” Siwon answers.

“So, what happens today?” Asked Donghae again.

“It seems like Yuri-sshi’s parents don’t really trust their daughter so there are probably some spies who always follow Yuri-sshi. That’s why... we need to bring Fany into my apartment so her name won’t be registered in any hotel. It’s frustrating but I don’t know what to do... It is really frustrating.” Siwon sighs.

“Well... it is... it sounds really difficult... both for her, the two of them... cough... cough... and for you to be in the middle of this situation...” Donghae can only say that line.

“...”

Siwon doesn’t talk anymore. He just drives the car towards the Venus-Hyoyeon cafe.

...

Seohyun is walking towards the door of her aprtment. Someone is ringing the bell. She hopes it’s her cousin, Yoona. She wants to apologize for ignoring her before.

She carelessly opens the door. She truly doesn’t anticipate if the visitor is actually Kyuhyun.

“Look... Hyunnie... I was wrong... I’m sorry and... please forgive me...” Said Kyuhyun.

There are no words from Seohyun.

Only tears. Flowing out freely from her eyes. Tracking on her cheeks.

The next thing Kyuhyun knows is Seohyun already hugs him. Crying in his embrace.

...

“Do you remember Lee Sungmin?” Sooyoung brings a topic.

“One of your ex-boyfriend?” Yoona asks back.

“Neh... I just knew today that he was married already with Lee Sunkyu 2 years ago... They were forced to marry because Sunkyu was pregnant...” Sooyoung calmly tells Yoona.

“Really?!” Yoona is surprised.

“Yes... They have a son now... I actually met Sunkyu yesterday at a supermarket. It’s fascinanting to see how life is changing... isn’t it?! They suit each other though... in my opinion. I hope they make a happy family.” Sooyoung replies.

“Neh, Sooyoungie... talking about it... don’t you think that... when it comes to people... there must be people who are suitable and not with us?” Yoona stares blankly at the outside of the cafe.

“What do you mean?” Sooyoung keeps eating.

“I mean... there must be someone fated for us...” Yoona explains.

“But it doesn’t mean we should just sit still. I think that... if there is someone... that we really don’t want to lose... then at least we should take a step... regarding that someone is fated or not for us...” Sooyoung answers.

Yoona thinks of what Sooyoung just said.

“Speaking about this matter... Yoona-yah... have you ever challenged yourseld?” Sooyoung asks.

“Have you ever tried to make a move to get your happiness?” Added Sooyoung.

“Neh... once...” Yoona hesitates to answer but she manages to say it.

“There was one time when I thought I was ready and I wanted to confess...” Yoona adds and Sooyoung understands that Yoona is talking about Donghae.

“I really thought you would never do such thing, kekeke.” Said Sooyoung.

“I wrote a letter... a love letter... that day... It was my junior high school graduation day... I decided to give the letter to him. I had the determination back then...” Yoona inhales.

“I waited in front of his school... I waited and waited... I kept waiting but he never showed up. That day... he just didn’t show up. I think that it must be our fate but I didn’t want to give up... therefore I kept the letter with me and I promised to pass it to him one day but... But till now... I am never able to pass it to him... pathetic, isn’t it?” Yoona sounds hopeless.

“Even until I celebrate my 20th birthday today... I still can’t manage to get over this love letter thing, kekekeke.” Yoona laughs. But it sounds so sad.

“You won’t exactly get over it until you face it...” Sooyoung states that line and stares at Yoona.

“By the way...” Sooyoung is about to tell something related to Yoona’s birthday party when Nichkhun calls Yoona’s name.

“Yoona-yah!!!” Nichkhun looks excited. He approaches the two girls after greeting Hyukjae.

“Khun-ah... waeyooo?” Yoona asks Nichkhun as he stands in front of her. Right at that time, Siwon and Donghae enter the cafe as well.

“I need your help to do a research. A report of it actually.” Nihckhun sounds excited.

“Ehhh?” Yoona still doesn’t understand the whole point.

“Do you remember the research we did for our assignment in Doctor Park Si Hoo’s class?” Asked Nichkhun.

“Ahhh... Yes... I do remember.” Said Yoona.

“Doctor Park just called me... He said that he would like to submit our research to an international conference that will be held in Seoul next month. Well, of course with some improvement and guidance from him.” Nichkhun explains the main point.

“Really??? I mean... Are you sure?” Yoona looks excited right now.

“Yes I am... I know today is your birthday but... the deadline for the submission of the report is tomorrow morning. Doctor Park said that as long as we hand the new report to him, at the Samsung Medical Center tonight, 11.00 pm to be exact then he will have the time to review and finalize it for us. I think that if we work harder tonight in the research office to do the report... then... we can make it... I mean... we just need to fix some parts... and I really need your help to make it possible.” Nichkhun makes further explanation.

Donghae hears it perfectly. He then remembers that the report Nichkhun and Yoona make will be honored as the best research at the said international conference. It will be a significant achievement for Yoona and it will help her getting scholarship to a gradutae school to be a specialist doctor.

In fact, this research holds an important role in Yoona’s life.

“But what about the birthday party then?” Siwon talks innocently.

“Birthday party?” Nichkhun stares at Siwon. They bow to each other.

“Neh... Khun-ah... today is Yoona’s birthday... the last one as a teenager... we actually plan to have a party... and to make a countdown until midnight to celebrate that she finally becomes an adult.” Sooyoung explains.

“Ahhhh... is that so???!” Nichkhun looks dissapointed.

Yoona stares at Donghae. They are staring at each other’s eyes.

“...”

No one speaks until Yoona breaks the silence.

“Khun... I’m sorry... I think I need to pass it thiss time. No need to be rushed... we will surely get another chance... I mean... we still have next year, right?!” Yoona tries to cheer Nichkhun.

“But this chance won’t come twice Yoong... will it? We can celebrate your birthday tomorrow.” Suddenly Donghae speaks.

“You should do it.” Donghae convinces Yoona.

Sooyoung and Siwon now are staring at Donghae. Yoona stares with doubtful eyes at him as well. “I was going to say the same thing actually...” Confessed Sooyoung.

“Nnn-neh... Fine... Let’s do this Khun.” Yoona decides. “Let’s go to the research lab then...”

And they leave.

“Fighting!!!” Siwon shouts.

Donghae can only see the two take a cab. He actually repairs something this time. He doesn’t forget Yoona’s birthday. He doesn’t sleep all day long like what he did originally. But still, the same thing happens, he can’t celebrate Yoona’s birthday together with her.

...

“Cough.. cough...” Donghae coughs.

“You should go home Hae. Take a rest.” Siwon orders Donghae when the former is about to go home. Sooyoung just went out of the cafe few minutes ago.

“I’ll stay here for some more time.” Donghae replies.

“Ok then... bye... bye Hyukkie!” Siwon waves and leaves.

“Neh... take care.” Hyukjae shouts back to Siwon.

“Hae, are you alright?” Hyukjae asks.

“Neh... don’t worry Hyukkie. Cough...” Replied Donghae. “Neh Hyukkie...”

“Waee?”

“If I make a mistake... over and over again... cough... is it ok only to apologize?”

“Hmmmm... it depends...” Answered Hyukjae.

“What do you mean?” Asked Donghae.

“It depends on how sincere you are when you apologize and how determined you are to not to do the same mistake again... When you make mistake... of course you should apologize Hae... that’s the only way to be forgiven I believe. Sincerely.” Ended Hyukjae.

“...”

Donghae doesn’t reply anymore.

...

“Yoona-yah... you look worried...” Nichkhun notices that Yoona is spacing out.

“Ahh... Khun-ah... I’m sorry...” Replied Yoona.

“I’m just confused...” Admitted Yoona.

“I think you should try to start from the background... I mean... start talking about how important this research is and what contribution can we make through this research that makes it worthy to enter the conference... I mean... isn’t it usually done that way? Ahhh... I don’t mean to lecture you...” Nichkhun makes an apologetic face.

“I know... And actually... I’m not confused about the report... there is something that bothers my mind... There is a problem I can’t solve. Neh Khun... if you were me... and you are facing problem that you can’t solve... what will you do?”

“A problem that I can’t solve?” Nichkhun mumbles.

“Neh... actually, these past few years... I have been facing a certain problem that I can’t solve and I can’t get over this problem until now.” Yoona explains.

“If I were you... then maybe I’ll just look up at other problems to solve first. I mean... we have many problems right?! If one problem seems really difficult to solve then I think it’s better to solve the easier one. It’s like math. But then again, how can we know that a probelm doesn’t have an answer if we don’t try to solve it. So yeah... the best thing to do is trying to solve that problem. And I think... it will satisfy us the most when we find the answer by our own effort... don’t you think so?” Nichkhun elaborates what he thinks.

Yoona can only deeply think about Nichkhun’s answer when her phone rings. It is a text from Hyukjae saying that Donghae is sick but he is already in his home and his grandmother already takes care of him.

...

Donghae opens his eyes. It is already night. He forgets how he can be here inside his bedroom. He guesses that he fell asleep in the cafe and Hyukjae took him here. He feels really cold.

“Cough... cough...”

He ponders.

“In every Yoona’s birthday... I never congratulated her properly.”

“I never celebrated it properly with her... even once... I never made her happy on her birthday.”

“She is always the one who congratulates me properly.”

“I only reveive gifts from her and I take it for granted and never give back.”

“...”

Tears come out from Donghae’s eyes.

His body and heart are really hurt.

“Even when I come back to the past... I can only lie on my bed. Why... our stories... it seems like our history only keeps repeating... no change at all...”

...

Yoona still can’t concentrate on her report. It’s 08.00 pm already, 3 hours before they need to hand the report and the research samples to Doctor Park. It’s a pity that Doctor Park have a night schedule at Samsung Medical Center that he can’t help his two students directly.

She is still bothered by the so-called problem that she can’t solve. She ponders.

“What should I do? Ending my 20th birthday with this research?”

Suddenly, she takes out something from her bag. It’s her daily planner book. There is an envelope there. She takes out the envelope.

Nichkhun is too serious with his report that he doesn’t notice what Yoona is doing.

Yoona stares at the envelope.

It’s her love letter. She still keeps it. She still keeps the problem she think she can’t solve. She recalls what Sooyoung told her before. “I think that... if there is someone... that we really don’t want to lose... then at least we should take a step... regarding that someone is fated or not for us...” She also remember what Nichkhun told her. “How can we know that a probelm doesn’t have an answer if we don’t try to solve it. So yeah... the best thing to do is trying to solve that problem. And I think... it will satisfy us the most when we find the answer by our own effort...”

She then stares at the name that is written on that envelope.

Lee Donghae.

And suddenly... she knows what to do.

“Khun-ah...” She calls Nichkhun.

Nichkhun stares at her.

“I’m really sorry. I’m really sorry for being irresponsible. But... but I need to find an answer for the question that have been bothering me. Actually... up until today... it’s not like there is no answer to my problem...” She pauses.

“I think... I think I’m just afraid of the answer... I just keep running from the real answer... But I have made my decision... I don’t want to be like this anymore. I need to face the answer. I need to look for it. I’m sorry Khun... I...”

“Is it worth to sacrifice this report? I mean... is the answer worth it?” Nichkhun cuts Yoona.

“I just think that... If I don’t face it properly right now, then I will regret it for the rest of my life. That’s why... today... I will look for and face the answer. I have decided that I should end all of this.” Replied Yoona.

“I see then. I understand Yoona-yah.” Said Nichkhun.

“I’m truly sorry.” Yoona then bows.

“Ahhhh ya yah... it’s ok. No need to apologize. Following what your heart wants you to do is not a mistake that you should apologize for... kekeke. Do what you want Yoona-yah. Don’t let yourself regret. I believe it’s the best thing to do after all. But remember... if there is no answer there... then look for other problems. I’ll be waiting here with the other problems, kekekeke. Goodluck.” Concluded Nichkhun.

“Neh...” Yoona shortly answers and she runs out from the room through the glass door. She keeps running. She is heading to Donghae’s house. She takes the letter with her. She wants to pass it to Donghae. She finally has the courage to confess.

She runs all the way to Donghae’s house.

It’s not that close but she just feels like running to that house to definetely pass the letter to Donghae. She buys various foods & fruits in the supermarket. She continues running after that. It’s really exhausting but finally she reaches Donghae’s house. It’s almost 08.30 when she arrives. She knows it’s already time to sleep.

She is suddenly becoming hesitant to ring the bell.

“What should I do?” She mumbles.

She breathes the air to calm herself before hitting the bell. It is the third time she rings the bell when finally Donghae’s grandmother opens the door.

“Grandma... I’m really sorry to bother you late in this night but... I need to see Haechi. I heard he is sick.” Yoona tells Donghae’s grandmother.

“Aigooo... what a pleasant surprise to see you sweetheart... come in... he is upstairs in his room... just go there... kekekekeke.” Donghae’s grandma tells Yoona while closing the door after Yoona enters the house.

“Neh... I’ll see him now. Thank you grandma.” Said Yoona and she goes straighly to Donghae’s bedroom in the second floor.

In front of Donghae’s bedroom. Yoona feels like her heart will jump out. She is really nervous that she holds the letter and presses it against her chest. She closes her eyes, trying to coax her busy mind and heart.

“Haechi...” Exclaimed Yoona then she knocks the door.

“It’s me... Yoona.”

“...”

No answer.

“Neh... Haechi... I think that... I think that because we are really close as childhood friends...” Yoona pauses for a second.

“We can’t say some things straightforwardly...” Continued the girl.

“...”

Still no answer. Yoona takes some more air to control her flowing emotion.

“You know... all this time... I’ve been unable to say something I really want you to know actually...” She makes up her mind.

“That’s why... I wrote a letter... a letter that I want to pass to you...” There she just said it. However, there is still no answer.

“Haechi... are you listening to me?” Yoona asks while knocking again at the door. When she gets no reply again, she decides to open the door and it’s not closed.

She enters Donghae’s bedroom but Donghae is not there.

...

“Hey young man... are you visiting your family here?” A security officer asks Donghae.

“Ahhh... cough... aniyo... I’m waiting for my friend.” Replied Donghae.

“It’s cold here. Why don’t you go and wait inside? Besides, it seems like you are sick.” The officer asks Donghae again.

“It’s ok. I’ll just wait here. Moreover... cough... cough... I will just make som noise inside the hospital because I want to celebrate my friend’s birthday.” Answered Donghae.

“Celebrate your friend birthday?” The security officer looks really curious.

“Neh...” Donghae shortly says.

“So the box that you are holding must be a birthday cake...” The officer tells Donghae.

“Eeehh... cough... cough...” Said Donghae while trying to fight the cold. Inside his system and outside his system.

“Your friend must be really important for you neh...” The officer teases Donghae once again and Donghae can only smile after that.

He is waiting in front of Samsung Medical Center because he remembers that Yoona will hand the report to Doctor Park Si Hoo here. He actually wants to make a birthday surprise party for Yoona before today ends without celebrating Yoona’s birthday.

...

Meanwhile, Yoona is still waiting in Donghae’s room.

She is still holding the letter. Tightly. Her heart is racing.

“Should I keep waiting?”

She looks at her wristwatch. It’s already 11.00 pm. She has waited for more than two hours. She can’t make a call because she left her mobile phone and all of her other things at the research office. Besides, Donghae also left his own on the bed.

“Where are you?”

“...”

Yoona takes a really dreap breath.

“But remember... if there is no answer there... then look for other problems.” Yoona suddenly remembers what Nichkhun said to her. She thinks carefully about that sentence and makes her decision.

She decides to leave. Believing that it’s once again their fate that she can’t pass the letter to Donghae.

In just few minutes later, she finds herself already walking away from Donghae’s house without saying goodbye to Donghae’s grandmother. The old lady has slept and Yoona doesn’t want to bother her.

She is walking alone. Accompanied by the street lights and some people, enjoying the late night snacks in the street.

She walks hopelessly, thinking about what she should do.

Donghae is just the same. It’s around midnight already but Yoona and Nichkhun don’t seem to come to Samsung Medical Center. Nevertheless, he keeps the faith to wait.

Yoona passes a bridge and she decides to stop walking, turning her body, facing the dark sky, and facing the river that flows under the bridge.

She then stares at her love letter.

She holds her tear. No single one drops at this moment.

She has promised to end all of this today on her birthday. She takes out the paper out from the envelope.

She bites her lips. Doubting what she is planning to do.

On the other hand, Donghae is coughing desperately.

“Hey you... young man... are you really ok? Here, take this warm coffee... aigooo...” The security officer hands Donghae a cup of warm coffee.

“Neh... kamsahamnida...” Donghae thanks the officer. He still wants to wait for sure.

Yoona has folded the paper where she writes her confession. She folds it three times and slowly, she tears that paper into smaller pieces. She doesn’t cry while doing that but it’s like tearing her own heart actually. She tears that paper as many times as possible.

After that.

She blows those smaller papers onto the river.

Inside her heart.

She mumbles.

“Goodbye...”

She takes another deep breath and she exhales. She just keep holding her tears.

...

It’s already 11.20 pm when Donghae decides to give up. He takes a cab and goes back to his house. He arrives there at 11.35 pm and he goes straightly to his bedroom.

He opens the door. He turns on the light but actually he doesn’t remember that he turned it off before he left.

He is a bit surprised to see a plastic bag on his bed. He quickly looks at it. It’s the fruits from Yoona. He is confused until he finds a piece of paper on the bed as well.

He reads what’s written on that paper.

“Get well soon...”

He also reads the name of the writer below that “Get well soon...” and it’s read “Yoona”

Right after that, Donghae doesn’t waste any second and he quickly runs from his bedroom. He doesn’t think about any other things right now. What is inside his mind is seeing and congratulating Yoona now.

...

Yoona has arrived at the research office. She opens the glass door and Nichkhun is still there.

“Yoona-yah... I just called Doctor Park and I begged him... he said that he won’t be able to review our newest report but he will give his authorization so that we can still register at the conference tomorrow morning. He said that our previous report is actually near perfect so that he trusts us. Thus... I think that giving up will be such a waste... I mean... would you like to finish our report?” Asked Nichkhun.

Yoona only stares at Nichkhun’s sincere face.

She then makes a curve on her lips. Smiling, she says “Sure... let’s finish the report then.” After that, they start typing in front of their notebooks again.

It’s almost 12.00 and that means Yoona’s birthday almost ends without any celebration.

“Ahhh... Yoona-yah... your birthday will end soon... how about we celebrate it? I mean... I’m sorry to cancel your plan of celebrating your birthday with your friends...” Said Nichkhun while taking a soft drink and giving it to Yoona.

“There is no cake but at least we can drink this one, kekekeke... sorry once again.” Continued Nichkhun.

“It’s ok Khun. Thank you very much.” Said Yoona.

On the other hand, Donghae is still running. He is coughing as well. It’s really hard for him but he won’t give up. He don’t want to be late. He needs to get there before 12.00 so that he can celebrate Yoona’s birthday properly.

“By the way, have you solved your problem?” Nichkhun brings up a topic while they are enjoying a small break.

“Do you finally have a proper and satisfying answer?” Added Nichkhun.

“...” Yoona can’t say a word for a moment but finally she can say what is inside her heart.

“There is actually no answer... I don’t get the answer... But I feel much more better right now because I finally can end that problem today. I have the courage to get over it...” Explained Yoona.

Nichkhun is captivated by the blank eyes and sad expression of Yoona. It’s just an explanation but it sounds so hurting for some reason.

“Yoona-yah... I actually think that... there is still something only God knows why and how... even when we have worked really hard to look for the answer. But trying hard is never wrong though.”

And only just by hearing this from Nichkhun, the tears that Yoona has been holding up until now are falling. She is crying silently.

Nichkhun notices it and he starts to be panic.

“Ahhh... I’m sorry... Did I say something that make you cry?” Nichkhun apologizes.

“Ahhh... aniyo... I’m sorry Khun. I just remember some things that make me cry, kekeke.” Said Yoona while Nichkhun gives her some tissues. Yoona wipes her own tears.

“Ah by the way... let’s take a picture of you. I’ll do it so we have your picture when you are turning 20.” Nihckhun tries to cheer Yoona.

“Ehh? But it’s really awkward to be alone in the photo. Let’s take a picture together.” Yoona reasons out.

“Is that ok? I mean... with me?” Nichkhun argues.

“Sure...” Yoona smiles.

Donghae arrives at the building but he needs to run from the gate to the main door. He runs with all his might again. He keeps running and he doesn’t know where the energy comes from, considering that he is sick actually.

He stops for a moment to catch some breaths.

Nichkhun is preparing the camera.

Yoona is already sitting in front of the camera and she is backfacing the glassdoor.

Donghae enters the building and he quickly takes the lift.

“I think that I should hold this photo so that my friends will be shown in this photo...” Said Yoona while taking out the barbecue party photo.

“Good idea... ten seconds... ok?” Confirmed Nichkhun and he starts the countdown of the self-timer. Nichkhun then moves to sit beside Yoona.

Donghae is still in the lift.

Only five seconds left.

The door of the lift is opened and Donghae gets off from the lift. He quickly runs to the research room. He is almost there.

Few steps away.

Two seconds left.

Donghae is so close.

He almost reaches the glass door.

But the time is up right when a small part of Donghae’s body is already in front of the glass door. It is captured by the camera since Yoona and Nichkhun are backfacing the door. The flash from the camera also reaches Donghae’s body and Donghae knows it’s time to go back.

He just failed again.

...

Yoona opens her eyes. She is on the wooden boat again.

It feels really cold.

Eunhyuk is in front of him. “Hi there...” He greets Yoona and smiles.

“Why is it so cold?” Asked Yoona.

“My heart...” Eunhyuk responds.

“Your heart?”

“Neh... it’s my heart... I feel really lonely when you are not here so it’s getting cold but since you are here... I will feel better and it will slowly become warm...” Eunhyuk explains and what he just said is proven right because it slowly feels warmer and warmer.

“You met your dad right?” Eunhyuk asks.

“But I couldn’t even talk to him.” Yoona tells Eunhyuk.

“You want to talk to him?”

“Of course...” Yoona just unconciously answers.

“What do you want to talk about?” Asked Eunhyuk again and Yoona can’t answer that question.

“If he apologizes to you... will you forgive him? Is it enough for you, Yoona-sshi?” Added Eunhyuk and Yoona can’t seem to answer.

“Of course... as long as he sincerely apologizes... Besides, I have learned that to forgive is harder than to make a mistake actually... so I guess I just need some more time...” Concluded Yoona and after that she knows that she will meet the next person when Eunhyuk is gone from her sight.

This time, Eunhyuk leaves her alone in that wooden boat. It’s very unusual because it’s the other way around previously.

Yoona just waits for the meeting with the next person. The boat is moving, taking Yoona to meet the next person.

~TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY FOR YOONA~

“Click.”

The photo is taken.

“Once again, happy birthday Im Yoona.” Said Nichkhun after the two took a photo together.

However, Yoona didn’t really pay attention to what Nichkhun just said. She was staring at the glass door instead.

“Yoona-yah... what is the matter? Why are you staring at the door?”

“I just felt like there is someone there... but it’s ok... it’s probably just my feeling... kekeke. Thanks Khun.”

“Eh? What for?”

“For celebrating my birthday... thank you so much.”

“You are welcome... And so... should we start working on the research report again?”

“Nehhh!!! Hwaiting!!!” Exclaimed Yoona.

Today was a special day for Yoona. It was her 20th birthday.

It was also the day when she got over the problem that she couldn’t ever solve before.

Even though she got no answer, she had decided to move on.



**********

A/N

Finally, I can update this chapter. There is no Yoona's part this time because it's already too long. Thank you so much for the support ;p