Chance 1

Heaven, Happiness, & Chance [HIATUS]

CHANCE #ONE
"Will we end up together if you’re engaged to another man?"


Every story has a start and an end.

Usually, there is a “hello” at the start and then a “goodbye” at the end and between these two words, there is a story. Short one, long one, memorable one, hurtful one, and every kind of stories, people have their own stories.

And this story will tell you about love. Yeah… it’s just another one love story.



About 9 years ago.

All the students had gone home. All the students in Yoona’s class had gone home. She was a second year middle-schooler that time. Yoona was waiting for her picker to come. She was waiting in the classroom. She wasn’t alone though. There was another girl there but strangely, Yoona didn’t know her name.

“Is she my classmate?”

Yoona asked herself. Because she wasn’t sure, Yoona didn’t talk to that girl until she left home when her picker came. Yoona didn’t want to leave the girl alone there but she didn’t have any courage to break the ice.

The next day, that girl was missing. Yoona asked her other classmates and it seemed like that girl was unnoticed. She spent the next several days with observing that lonely girl. This girl was not in the class very often. Yoona’s classmates told her that the girl was sick and thus she didn’t really go to school.

The other day, Yoona once again saw that girl. Everyone was preparing to go home and Yoona’s picker had come as well. Yoona really wanted to talk to that girl. She really wanted to know her. She wanted to ask her name. For Yoona, going to the school was making friends. That’s why, she thought that she needed to become a friend for this girl because this girl looked friendless. She didn’t want the girl to waste her school time without friends.

However, even until she stepped out from the classroom, she could only see the girl sitting on her chair and being left alone.

In the end, Yoona never had a perfect chance.

Yoona didn’t know as well but everytime she tried to approach the girl, something suddenly happened to prevent her intention.

Until one particular day, Yoona had already in the car when the rain started to pour down. It was quite heavy. She was still close to her school.

“Stop the car please…” Yoona told the driver and the driver obeyed her.

Yoona stepped out from the car, bringing an umbrella with her.

“Yoona-yah!!!” Her driver called but she ignored it. She kept running to her classroom. She remembered about the mysterious girl. Yoona thought that the girl might be waiting for her picker but she might not as well so she would need an umbrella to go home.

Yoona ran and finally she was in front of her classroom. She took a peek and the girl was still there. The girl was in front of the window. The gilr was looking outside through the window as if she was really waiting for the rain to stop. Yoona wanted to use the chance to befriend with the girl but she canceled that plan.

Yoona just put the umbrella in front of the door.

Yoona then left.

When Yoona was running from her school building to her car, that mysterious girl noticed Yoona. She was observing Yoona from the window. She then smiled. She had seen Yoona before when Yoona was running with the umbrella. Now, the umbrella was gone and the girl realized something after that.

This girl then walked to the classroom door and she found the umbrella there, the one that Yoona left for her.

She smiled again after that.

“Im Yoona…”

The girl mumbled Yoona’s name and then she smiled once again.




“Hae… how do I look?” Yoona shows off her attire and minimal make-up face in front of her childhood friend. She looks gorgeous to say the least with her simple yet elegant white dress.

Donghae is startled. He is cornering himself, drinking some beer and eating some snacks alone when Yoona pats his back.

“…”

He can’t describe it actually. She is way too beautiful that Donghae is speechless. He skips a heartbeat.

“Aigooo… are you that overwhelmed Hae-ah?” Yoona breaks the silence.

“Ah eh neh… hmmm, you look pretty as usual.” He drinks the beer and Yoona smiles.

Yoona and Donghae have been friends since many years ago. They met when they were in the same class in elementary school. They sat next to each other and since then they have become really close. They were always in the same class. They never realized that the existence of the other had slowly become important because they were always together. They knew that they lost this important person when they found out that they were sent into different middle school.

Thanks to that fact actually, they finally understood why they were feeling lonely through their middle school period. They were missing each other. However, at those times, no one had the guts to admit it. Yes they understood what that feeling was but they tried to deny it at first, especially Yoona. Moreover, they are still too young to think about the real love.

The girl was afraid that Donghae only saw her as a childhood friend. She thought that rather than confessing, it would be better to stay as friend because they would remain close that way. Besides, she thought that if Donghae liked her too then she would just wait until the day when Donghae would confess.

As for Donghae, he really wanted to confess. He wanted to own Yoona. He wanted her as his lover but then they were already close. They were close enough for him that he didn’t really think about making a confession. Yoona wasn’t anywhere far after all. The two of them attended the same high school and they spent their time together again. At that time, Donghae would just wait for the perfect time to confess.

Donghae and Yoona, both were waiting for the same thing, the day when they would end up together. Question is would the time ever come?

“Why are you drinking alone Hae?” Yoona takes a snack and then stands closer with Donghae.

“Nothing, just we meet when I am alone. I was mingling around with Siwon, Kyunnie, and Soo before.” Donghae replies.

“Ah I see. Neh, tell me, are you happy for me?” Yoona asks once again.

“Yah, isn’t it obvious that I’m happy if you’re happy. So I’m the one who will ask you. Are you happy now?” Donghae asks back.

Yoona takes Donghae’s glass of beer then drinks it and then gives it back to Donghae before answering “I am… thanks, keke. I want to talk more but I need to greet Khun’s family from Thailand.”

“Sure. Take your time. It’s your engagement day after all. You should spend your time with your fiancée.” Donghae responds and waves but Yoona asks him another question after that.

“By the way, did you see my parents? I can’t find them.”

“Nope.” Donghae shakes his head and adds “I didn’t see them.”

Yoona then leaves.

Today is Nichkhun’s and Yoona’s engagement day. Yes, Yoona is finally engaged. Donghae is the type who will try to make everyone around him happy. He is happy for Nichkhun. He is very happy for Yoona. He is so damn happy for this engagement but he is not happy for himself, not even a little. He is tortured by sadness and depression actually.

He just lost Yoona, the girl whom he is so much in love with.

Unknown to everyone in this engagement ceremony, something bad will come. Something really-really bad will come soon. It’s about an hour before this accident comes.

Yoona is now accompanying Nichkhun and they are greeting the guests.

In everyone’s eyes, Nichkhun and Yoona look very compatible. They compliment each other.

“Need a friend?” Siwon taps Donghae’s shoulder from his back.

“Yah Choi Siwon, you shocked me.” Donghae continues drinking.

“Sorry but you know what? The beer won’t solve your problems.” Siwon stares at Donghae.

Donghae knows what Siwon is talking about. Siwon, even though Donghae never told him, knows that Donghae has been in love with Yoona this whole time. Siwon actually believes that Donghae and Yoona are meant for each other. He is convinced that this engagement is a wrong decision. For him, it’s just a drawback that will somehow help Donghae and Yoona to be together in the end.

“What problems are you talking about?” Donghae pretends to be clueless.

“Hahaha, keep denying it and you know you are the one suffering Lee Donghae.” Siwon replies and Donghae can only smiles bitterly.

“Do you think I’ll be able to move on Siwon-ah?” Donghae finally opens up to Siwon.

“I don’t know Hae. I’m sorry to tell you but I really don’t know. However, based on my experience, I can just guarantee that it won’t be easy. It’s probably easier to get her back to you.” Siwon grins at his bestfriend.

It is forty one minutes before the accident.

While escorting Nichkhun, Yoona keeps looking for her parents.

Nichkhun and Yoona start dating 2 years ago and everything changes since then. When he moved to Korea about 6 years ago, Nichkhun entered Yoona’s and everyone else’s school. They were in their 2nd year of high school that time. It was rather slow but sure Nichkhun then fell in love with Yoona.

After graduating from highschool, Nichkhun and Yoona continued their studies to become a doctor. They entered Seoul National University. They spent more time together and finally Nichkhun decided to confess. Everything went well for him. Yoona accepted him and they began their love story.

“Oh yah! Cho Kyuhyun! Throw out that book please!” Sooyoung yells at Kyuhyun when the latter appears in front of her, reading a book about human’s anatomy. Kyuhyun also wants to become a doctor and he is in the same class with Nichkhun and Yoona.

“It’s your friend’s engagement day. Come on!” Sooyoung yells again while eating some snacks.

“Can’t help it Soo. Need to learn about it, keke.” Kyuhyun doesn’t even look at Sooyoung when he is speaking. He just keeps reading.

“Aishhhh… I wonder why Seohyun want to be your girlfriend. Her life must be very boring as hell.” Sooyoung comments again. Kyuhyun still ignores her though.

“Not even a bit unnie.” Seohyun suddenly comes from their backs.

“I like seeing him like this and being himself. So yeah, I’m not bored. I enjoy it instead.” Seohyun continues.

“Whatever! Honestly, you two really make the weirdest couple I ever know!” Sooyoung tells them and leaves after that.

“Unnie…” Seohyun tries to call Sooyoung but she has gone already.

“Was Sooyoung-unnie angry?” Seohyun speaks inside her heart.

“Maybe…” She answers herself.

“But why?” She asks herself again.

“Hmmmm, she’s just kidding probably.” She calms herself again.

“Why did she leave then?” She continues talking to herself.

“It’s alright. Sooyoung is always like that. Don’t think about it too much Hyunnie.” Kyuhyun suddenly speaks and pats Seohyun’s head. He amazingly knows that Seohyun is talking to herself again. It’s always Seohyun’s habit. He knows that his girlfriend is worried so he stops reading and comforts her. What a weird couple indeed.

And twenty seven minutes before the accident hits Yoona, before she sees the heaven that everyone is longing for.

Yoona still can’t find her parents.

She’s still busy with Nichkhun though so she doesn’t have any chance to look for her parents. Their engagement is held in the most expensive wedding hall in Seoul. Yoona’s dad is a politician while Nichkhun’s family is very well off too. It’s not a big party though, only family, important people, and close friends are invited.

In their campus, Nichkhun and Yoona are dubbed as the most beautiful couple. They finally engage but there’s one fact that will never change. The fact that Yoona only and always loves Lee Donghae remains true.

Every single person in this world will fall in love and one of them will be the true one. As for Yoona, Donghae is her true love. Nothing will change it, even Nichkhun and even this engagement.

So, why would Yoona accept Nichkhun back then? And why did she decide to engage with him?

It’s simple. Yoona sees something in Nichkhun that she doesn’t find in Donghae.

Sincere confession.

Nichkhun undoubtedly loves Yoona. He cherishes that girl more than anything and he sincerely shows it. He cares for her even for little things. He puts her on top. He treats her really well. He is really a perfect lover for her even when they weren’t official yet. Thus, Yoona can’t just say no when he confessed.

Yoona doesn’t blame Donghae though.

They are just too comfortable being really close since they were little children. Confession scares Yoona while it’s a really big burden for Donghae. The result is they were unable to translate what they feel towards each other in words. They wasted their time and chance with giving signals but they never said it. It’s stupid and lame reason of course.

So right now, Yoona is very grateful for being given a chance to fall in love with Donghae. Right now, Yoona will treasure every moment she has with him. She’ll burry them and she’ll push them slowly to the corner of her heart, not to forget about them of course, but to keep them as her most precious memories.

She’ll always treasure how Donghae stole her first kiss. She’ll always remember how they were dancing in the rain. She won’t ever forget how Donghae would always be with her on rainy days. They would wait for the rain to stop together before going home and there were two reasons why it happened. Yoona always forgot to bring her umbrella while Donghae willingly gave his umbrella to his classmate who forgot to bring it. She also won’t ever erase the memory of how Donghae made her cry and disappointed her. These are just some of them and she will always be thankful for these memories.

“Yoona-yah…” Sooyoung calls Yoona when the taller girl sees her coming to her direction.

“Soo! I didn’t see you before. Don’t tell me you are looking for a bachelor here again? Keke.” Yoona teases her playgirl bestfriend.

“Hahaha! You know me too well. By the way, am I disturbing you?” Sooyoung whispers.

“Not at all.” Yoona replies and then excuses herself from Nichkhun and his friends.

“Khun… I’ll be back…” Yoona says to her fiancée and Nichkhun smiles after saying “Sure my dear… Hey Sooyoung!”

“Congrats Khun! Don’t make her cry or I’ll hunt you to death!” Sooyoung responds.

“Don’t worry, keke.” Nichkhun smiles again before seeing Yoona and Sooyoung going around that building.

“Now you can tell what you are feeling right now.” Sooyoung starts a conversation.

“I’m happy. What do you expect to hear from me?” Yoona talks when they stop in front of a table with glasses of wine on it. Both of them take a glass.

“Aigooo Yoona-yah… Come on, I know it very well. Don’t you know the love that you have been dreaming of is Donghae’s? Should I really tell and remind you again?” Sooyoung really makes her voice low right now.

Yoona drinks her wine. Sooyoung waits for Yoona’s answer.

“Unfortunately, as what you said, it’s just a dream Soo and when I wake up, it ends.” Yoona stares at Sooyoung and her eyes sure beg Sooyoung not to attack her anymore so Sooyoung gives up. They just continue drinking their wines and eating some snacks after that.

The remaining time is only fifteen minutes now.

There is a story about Yoona that Yoona never tell everyone. She doesn’t remember a particular period of her life. She isn’t sure but somehow it feels like she was brainwashed. She doesn’t really remember her childhood especially the time when she didn’t meet Donghae yet. Note that she met Donghae when she was around 6 to 7 years old. She asked her parents but they only laughed about it and told her that she was mean to forget about it. Well, it was true though. Her life wasn’t missing. There are tons of her picture when she was 1 year old to 6 six years old. Nonetheless, she can’t seem to recall what was going on in every picture.

“Soo, did you see my parents by the way? I’ve been looking for them but-” Yoona is cut by Sooyoung because Sooyoung is faster to give her answer.

“I think I saw them going to that room…” Sooyoung points a door that connects the main wedding hall with a room where a bride or groom will wait before the wedding ceremony starts.

“Really? Fine then, I’ll go check that room. See you.” Yoona puts her glass back on the round table and waves to Sooyoung. Sooyoung only nods.

In this world, everything is actually related. Every story will meet at a certain point, directly or indirectly. A story will affect one or more stories and these stories will affect another set of stories. Stories are actually like a map where some streets will meet and some streets will connect two different streets.



Sungmin and Sunkyu are married. They are a young couple. They love each other and they really make a very harmonious family. However, they are fighting right now. They are fighting some miles away from the wedding hall where Nichkhun and Yoona are celebrating their engagement.

“I really can’t tolerate it anymore Lee Sungmin!”

“Fine, do as what you want then!” Sungmin replies.

“Then leave this house!!!” Sunkyu screams.

“What?! Why should I leave this house?!”

“Because I don’t want to see you anymore!!!” Sunkyu screams from the bedroom. She closes the door and Sungmin can’t enter.

“Then why don’t you leave this house instead if you don’t want to see me?!!!” Sungmin is pissed off. He has had enough today and thus he doesn’t give in.

Sunkyu is crying and she can’t speak anymore.

“No matter what, I’m still going to consider divorcing you! I can’t live anymore with someone who is always so jealous and suspecting me for cheating while I’m not! I love you Sunkyu-yah but I can’t stand your overreacting habit anymore!!!” Sungmin yells from their living room.



Just thirteen minutes before the accident.

Yoona is getting closer to the said door. The door is not fully closed.

And for every step, she can eavesdrop what her parents are talking about.

The next thing she knows, she is already crying and running. Her heart is breaking and she is looking for Donghae. Indeed, she is looking for Donghae.

She is very shocked by what she just heard.

She is really tortured.

It’s really painful.



About two months ago, there were children playing in a garden.

Taemin and Sunyoung were playing together. They were only four years old and they were playing in the garden beside their houses. They were practicing to ride a bicycle. They were taking turns. However, Sunyoung complained because her hairpin was gone after riding the bicycle. She was crying and stopped only when Taemin promised to give her a new one.




“Hae!!! Hae!” Yoona calls Donghae’s name when she sees him. Everyone is already staring at Yoona.

“Neh?” Donghae turns around to find the crying Yoona.

“Lend me your car key! Please!”

“Wae? Why are you crying? Yoona-yah, it’s your engagement day.” Donghae tries to comfort her but it’s useless.

“JUST LEND ME YOUR CAR KEY!!!” Yoona shouts and at the moment, her parents realize that Yoona overheard their previous conversation. The crowded hall suddenly turns silent. Donghae slowly hands his car key.

Yoona doesn’t waste anytime and she grabs the car key immediately. She then runs outside to where Donghae car is. Donghae is speechless. He is stiffened while Yoona keeps running through even when her parents and Nichkhun are calling her name.

There is another story about Yoona.

Just about a half year ago, she started her internship period as doctor-in-training in SNU hospital. She was involved in a surgery one day. Yoona wasn’t told about the patient’s condition though. The patient was a little boy and Yoona was only ordered to do the anesthesia. After that, she was asked to leave the surgery room. Later on, she found out that the patient couldn’t be saved. That little boy was dead.

Yoona’s time in this world is just 5 minutes more left.

She is driving like crazy. She is frustrated. She is so sad. Her tears won’t stop. It’s really hard for her.

Donghae finds himself running across the street right now. He is chasing her. Yoona encounters some traffic jams so Donghae can still track her. However, he is still too far.

While running, Donghae remembers how he has always been running for Yoona.

All those past years, he indeed tried his best to show his unending love for her. However, his efforts were probably not enough yet. They were unnoticeable actually. He has always been running but in the end, he still can’t reach the finish line.



“We should tell her the truth now before it becomes too late honey.”

Yoona could hear his father’s voice.

“But this isn’t the right time. It’s her engagement day. How can we tell her the truth?”

Yoona was getting closer to the room where Sooyoung saw her parents went into. She heard her mom. The door wasn’t closed well and there was a gap that Yoona could hear everything. She decided to overhear the conversation because she felt like her parents hid something from her.

“But at least, we should tell Nichkhun’s family. Don’t you think so? We should be fair.” Yoona could hear her dad again.

“Yah… what if they canceled the engagement then?! We will just hurt Yoona. I don’t want to hurt our DAUGHTER!!! Never!!!” Yoona’s mom emphasized the last two words.

“But sooner or later, they should know that Yoona isn’t our daughter honey. We should tell her as well that we adopted her years back. She’ll marry with Nichkhun soon and she’ll leave us. It’s not fair if she doesn’t know the truth before that day. She needs to know it. Her biological parents are perhaps still alive, right?!”

Yoona couldn’t believe what she just heard.

It instantly forced her tears to come out.

Her hearts was really aching.

She could hardly breathe.

She then turned around. She couldn’t think of anyother else but to run from this cruel reality. She looked for Donghae. Donghae was the first person she could think of.

Her parents then realized that their conversation was just being overheard and unfortunately by the person that they didn’t want her to know about it the most.

They chased her.

Nichkhun too, he chased Yoona but they were too late.

Only one guy who appeared to not give up on chasing her and he was Donghae. After being speechless when he gave his car key, Donghae barely realized that something bad must had happened.

Thus, he chased her.

He had been chasing her so running wasn’t a big problem for him.

He had been running for her, literally, so he wouldn’t mind running for her again.




Unfortunately, car is faster than human.

Donghae keeps running though and he utilizes his feelings to predict where Yoona will drive his car. He runs through some shortcuts and so far he makes correct predictions. However, he still can’t reach her.

Yoona actually doesn’t know where she is driving to.

“So I was just adopted.”

“I’m not their daughter.”

She ponders alone.

“That’s why I can’t remember some of my past. They manipulate it.”

She is somehow feeling betrayed while she also thinks that she should be grateful because she was adopted by a caring couple.

She is disappointed.

It’s only two minutes before Yoona meets her fate, a tragic one.

And for your information, her last word before seeing the heaven is a simple “Go…”

Yoona doesn’t realize about it but she is already in a lonely straight street. She drives faster but she doesn’t really notice it due to her frustration and confusion.

And everything happens so fast.

Donghae is panting. He can’t see his car anymore. He loses Yoona.

Yoona is turning her car when a boy on his bicycle appears on her way. That boy blocks her way. That boy is Taemin. He was riding his bicycle on the pavements before, he has finally mastered it. He knew how to ride the bicycle. However, the chainwheel suddenly stucked and he couldn’t control his bicycle. That’s when he uncontrollably went to the main street and Yoona turned the car.

Yoona quickly rolls the steering wheel and she also loses the control of the car.

Everything happens so fast.

She doesn’t even scream before the car hardly hits a big tree and Yoona, who stupidly doesn’t fasten her seatbelt, hits the front car glass. The car glass is even almost broken for this heavy collision with Yoona’s head. Her head is bleeding for sure. She is losing her consciousness but she still can get out from the car. She thinks about the boy. She is afraid that she just killed him.

However, she doesn’t have any power anymore.

She collapses on the street.

She is still breathing but it’s getting harder to breathe actually. She can feel the blood all over her head and maybe on her face as well. She is still crying and suddenly, she can feel a small hand holding her own. It’s really warm that she smiles between tears.

She can’t open her eyes but she thinks it’s the boy. She thinks that it’s Taemin who is holding her hand. The hand is pulling her hand now.

“Noo-noona is al-right…” Yoona says very weakly.

She thinks that there is no more air there for her nose.

“Go home now… j-just leave noona here… noona is alright…”

Yoona still closes her eyes. However, the grip is getting stronger so Yoona once again speaks.

“Go to y-your parents n-now d-dongsaeng-ah… go…”

And a sudden blackout.

Emptiness.

Losing.

From the place he is standing and wondering about where Yoona can be, suddenly Donghae’s heartbeat is getting faster without a reason. Suddenly he feels worried. Suddenly anxiety takes over him.

~TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY FOR YOONA~

About 22 years ago, a beautiful baby girl was born.

She was put with the other babies and the nurse put the name tag.

Her father was looking from outside through the glass wall.

The father was smiling when the nurse confirmed that baby was his after all. The father could see his daughter under the coverlet. The baby girl still couldn’t open her eyes of course but her father knew that his daughter will have a very beautiful pair of eyes.

He was thinking about a name when a doctor with a gloomy face, accompanied by some nurses with sad expressions, came to him.

“We had done all the best we could do but we could only save the baby.”

The doctor explained and the father now understood why there were no “congratulations” before.

Her wife just died.

It was a special day for Yoona. It was her birthday but sadly, it was the day she lost her mother.


**********

A/N
First chapter... Hope it's good enough... Is it boring? Well, it's just another introduction to the story and it tragically ended with Yoona's accident. So... is she dead then? Hmmm... just wait for the next chapter. And I really don't know whether it will be a good fic or not. Hope I can liven it up to your expectations. And once again, I adopted and combined two sources for this fic. So yeah... I've credit my sources already and if you find something similar to those sources then yeah... it's because I'm too influenced by them. However, the storyline/plot will be different.