THE DARKEST NIGHTS

MY SUMMER LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the 2nd day of the arbitration and Yonghwa still even had to glance Joo’s way.  First they had to wait until he returned from Taiwan.  During that time Joo almost drove Kwanhee insane with her inability to concentrate on anything.

“Joo.” Kwanhee nudged her. “Joo – he asked you a question.”

“Hm?” Joo looked at her assistant.  She had been looking at Yonghwa’s profile.  He usually had his head turned toward her 6 lawyers and barely paid attention to her, Lee Joon and Kwanghee.

Joo quickly puts her mask on.  She mentally kicked herself for not putting her entire attention to the proceedings. “Please repeat the question.”

This was the first time they look at each other.

She’s even more beautiful up close.

Yonghwa clears his thoughts.  He had managed to not even glance at her on the first day of the arbitration.  His peripheral vision registered the figure hugging dress she wore and the room had the faint scent of the perfume that surrounded her. 

Today he looks at the beautiful face and he forces his voice to be dovoid of all emotion. She answers him politely and he turns his attention once again to the meeting.  Later that night he drank himself blind in his company’s penthouse suite. Joo still had to power to hurt him.

His drunken stupor took him to the blackest months of his life.  Tears fall from his face as he goes back 10 years.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

“I’ll see you at home alright? No need to pick me up. I’m just going to drop off some things in Tiffany’s apartment.” Joo said over the mobile. 

“Okay see you later. Love you.” Yonghwa had a smile on his face when he closes his mobile.  He had only 2 lectures that day so that gave him enough time to go to the market then head out for Joo’s apartment. He was making pasta today – chicken aflredo- Joo’s favorite. He quickly walks to the lecture hall.  Two girls greet him and he gives them a shy smile.

When Joo got home Yonghwa was already there.  He was setting the table.  They were having salad and pasta. Joo was all over Yonghwa as soon as they’d finished washing and cleaning up. He had a big smile on his face when she collapses on top of him.

“Yong – you know I’m rich right?” Her head was on his chest. His heart beat always brought her comfort.

“Yup – I’m going to be kept man for the rest of my life.” He gave a soft laugh.

“That can be arranged.” She laughs up at him. “But you wouldn’t want that.”

“No – I won’t. I fully intend to be worthy of you Miss Joo.” He kisses her forehead.

A few days later Yonghwa tells her that he and the boys would be helping out in the Korean Embassy’s annual charity ball.

“They are currently short staffed for servers so my Omma volunteered us.  I’m not getting paid though but the boys are.” Yonghwa told Joo over lunch.

“That’s alright. It’s a Friday. I’ll just wait up for you.” Joo smiles as she wipes the mayo from the corner of Yonghwa’s mouth. “You’re supposed to chew first before swallowing. What’s the hurry?”

“I have my session with Shin Hye in 10 minutes and I need to run across campus. That’s why I’m gulping down my lunch.” He smiles at her and grabs her hand to kiss her palm. “Gotta go babe.”

“Hm – tell Shin Hye I said hello.”  Joo calls after him.

Yonghwa just looks at her and laughs. “I will Miss Jealousy. I love you. Only you.”

Joo blows him a kiss.  Yonghwa knew her so well.  Joo couldn’t quite control her jealousy yet. Not that he ever gave her reason to be jealous – he was extremely popular with girls – white and Asian.  The number of girls that he tutored were more than guys.  But he was careful especially now that he had Joo – he politely turned down dinners and requests for home tutoring. He loves Joo and he always made sure that all the girls he tutored understood that.

That Friday night – he and the boys were early in the Korean embassy.  His Omma requested them to help in setting up the tables and chairs.  Yonghwa also took the time to greet the Korean ambassador and his family.  The ambassador was his sponsor since high school and also his Omma’s boss.  The Ambassador’s young daughter told Yonghwa he looked handsome in his waiter’s uniform before shyly hiding behind her Omma’s hanbok. He had a laugh with his own Omma about it.

When the affair started he and the boys were busy with the other waiters getting the plates of food when Jungshin came running in.

“Hyung – come out.” Jungshin was gasping for breath and he was bug eyed.

“Why? I already served the soup.  The main course is still being prepared.” Yonghwa replied.

“You remember your Omma told us that the main sponsor for the charity is arriving today?” Jungshin starts pulling Yonghwa towards the door.

“Shin-nee – what are you doing?” Jonghyun removes their Maknae’s hand from Yonghwa’s shirt sleeve. “Speak clearly so we can understand you.”

“The sponsor – you have got to see…” Jungshin pushes the door open and the four of them go towards the main function room.

“She looks like Joo” Minhyuk whispers.

They all stand transfixed looking at the beautiful girl in a white gown.  She was smiling at the ambassador and a young man was standing beside her.  They bow to the Ambassador and his wife and the beautiful girl extends her hand to be shaken by the elderly couple.

“Ladies and gentlemen – tonight I am proud to announce that once again our charity event has exceeded its target goal.  We once again thank our main sponsor – the lady who unfortunately could not make it tonight but has sent her lovely daughter instead to grace us with her presence.  Miss Seo Joohyun of the Seo Foundation. Let’s all give her a warm welcome as well as her Mr. Jaejoong Kim.”

Yonghwa felt that he had tunnel vision. He only had eyes for the girl who was shaking the hands with the various dignitaries. 

“She can’t be Joo – she just looks like her.” Jonghyun remarks.

“Uh-uh no – it’s Joo.  I was very near the door when she came. Why do you think I ran to the kitchen to get Hyung?!” Jungshin exclaims.

“I knew she was rich but – the Seo Fortune – really? That’s like mega-rich.” Minhyuk said. “Did you know that Hyung?”

Yonghwa takes his eyes off the girl and looks at his 3 doongsaengs. “No I didn’t know.” He whispers.  He was in shock.  Joo was never comfortable about her status – she just told him she was rich but she didn’t want to discuss it anymore.

“Who’s the guy? You know him Hyung?” Jonghyun asks.

“No – but I think I’ve seen him around campus.” Yonghwa replied – his eyes once again on the girl who was now seated in the VIP table with her .

“I saw him walking with Joo’s friend – what’s her name – Tiffany!” Jungshin wags a finger at Yonghwa.

“Hyung – did you know Joo was coming here tonight?” Jonghyun asks.

“No – she was supposed to wait for me tonight.” Yonghwa murmurs. He was sure Joo had an explanation for what happened tonight. He was particularly bothered by her ’s very proprietary actions towards Joo.  The guy’s hand was on Joo’s elbow and he held her waist as they were being photographed with the Ambassador.

“What are the 4 of you doing here?” Yonghwa’s Omma came up behind them. “The food is ready – help with the other waiters.”

Yonghwa served his tables in a daze. His mind was going around in circles. He and Joo were always honest with each other so why did she keep this from him? He wouldn’t have objected to her attending the affair but he didn’t like her having an – especially when the wasn’t him.

He was in such a daze that he almost over filled one of the wine glasses.  Fortunately the gentleman he was serving laughed up good naturedly at him and told Yonghwa that it was alright for him to drink as his wife was driving him home.

Just then Yonghwa looks up and looks straight at Joo.  She raises her hand just slightly from the table and waves.  He just looks at her and heads back to the kitchen.

“Hyung – why didn’t you wave back? Joo looked sad.” Jungshin came up to him as they were putting back the service trays. “I smiled at her when she caught my eye.”

Yonghwa didn’t have an answer.  He murmured that he needed to go out for air.  He was leaning against the wall when a man in a dark suit came towards him.

“Miss Joo would like a word.” The man gave Yonghwa a slight bow. “Please follow me.”

Yonghwa followed the man and they headed for the garden.

“Yong!” Joo was waiting for him. She stood before him her hands twisting the strap of the wristlet she was holding. “I’m sorry.”

Yonghwa stares down at the perfection in front of him.  She was ethereally beautiful – like some fairy standing there in the moonlight.  The white gown simmered and the jewels sparkled on her neck and ears. A fairy tale princess – unreal. Not his Joo.

“Sorry for what?” He finally blurts out. “Sorry you didn’t tell me you were going to be here tonight? Or sorry that you didn’t tell me who you really are?”

“Both.” She steps closer to him and grabs his hands. Her eyes were swimming in tears.

“I’m sorry – it’s always hard to explain what I am to people.” Her tears fall and Yonghwa had to resist the urge to dry her tears with his hands.

“But I’m not people.” Yonghwa steps back but doesn’t let go of her hands. “I’m Yong. I’m the one you love or was that not real either?”

“Of course you’re the one I love. You’re my boyfriend.” Joo pulls him and embraces him tightly.  Yonghwa’s mind registers that she was trembling like a leaf.

“Then why didn’t you tell me?” Yonghwa pulls out the embrace and holds her shoulders.

“How do you explain me Yong? I’m the child of Seo Fortune. I grew up in immense wealth and I’ve had body guards all my life. My family can buy anything and is into everything. If I had told you that the first 2 weeks that we dated you have gone running out the door.” She looks up at him.

Yonghwa had to nod his head because what Joo said was true. The Seo Fortune was one of the greatest financial success stories of all time.  A family of immense wealth and power.  A family headed by a woman – Joo’s mother. And Joo was her only child.

“I’m sorry for not telling you that I was coming tonight.  My mother couldn’t be here because she had to attend to business matters in New York.  I couldn’t back out because she would vent her displeasure on other people again. Please – understand. I was trying to call you but you didn’t pick up the phone neither did your doongsaengs.”

“Our phones are in the lockers.” Yonghwa murmured. Joo embraces him again.

“Please don’t be angry I couldn’t bear it.” Her face was on his shoulder. Yonghwa couldn’t bear it either.  He didn’t like Joo being distressed. He holds her tightly and kisses her neck.

“Stop crying Cheonsa. You’ll ruin your make up.” He pulls out his handkerchief and gently blots her tear streaked face.

“Joo! Where are you?” A guy’s voice was coming near them.

“I’m here.” Joo smiles up at Yonghwa and holds his hand.

“Who is this?” The guy comes up and eyes Yonghwa from head to foot.

“This is Yong. My boyfriend.” Joo holds Yonghwa’s hand tighter. Her voice was defiant.

“Last time I checked your mother told me that you were marrying me.” He tries to wrestle Joo’s hand from Yonghwa’s.

“You know it’s just her way to get you to guard me.  My mother didn’t promise you anything. You only assume.” Joo replies as she stood up straighter and looked at the guy in front of her.

Yonghwa could only on stare at the transformation.  His Joo always spoke politely to other people, sweet and charming. The girl who was holding his hand had the face of a stone goddess.  Her voice was icy and her demeanour haughty.

“Look here – whatever your name is –“Jaejoong looks at Yonghwa. “She’s my fiancé. She’s been that since she was 12.”

“Excuse me – 12? You are my ex-step brother. You are not nor will you ever be my fiancé.” Joo’s voice dripped ice.

Jaejoong grabs her other hand and pulls her to him. Joo resists. “Let go!! No!!You’re hurting me.”

What happened next Yonghwa could only imagine in movies. Men in dark suits suddenly appear. The one who had escorted Yonghwa earlier goes near Jaejoong and tells the younger man to let go of Joo.

“Jaejoong Doryeongnim – let go of the Agassi. Please.”

“No! Stay out of this! You’re only a guard! Joo listen to me – your mother said she’ll let me marry you when you’re 25.” His hand pulls at Joo.

“No! I said no! I won’t have an arranged marriage! Let me go!” Joo tries to twist her wrist from Jaejoong’s grip. “You’re hurting me!”

“Let her go! You’re hurting Joo!” Yonghwa grabs Jaejoong’s hand and tries to pry Joo’s wrist off.

“Doryeongnim please.” The gun levelled itself on Jaejoong’s shoulder. “Let go of the Agassi!”

Jaejoong laughs. “Try it! I’ll have you taken out – Guard Choi!”

  A burly man pulls out his gun and aims it on the other guard.

“He must be new.” One of the younger guards behind Yonghwa said. All five guards pull out their guns and point them at Jaejoong.

“Jaejoong – let go of me if you still want to live. Right now!” Joo stops struggling and looks at him - her voice calm and cold.

“Your mother will hear about this!” Jaejoong steps back and eyes Yonghwa with angrily.

“You go do that – while I tell her you hurt me. I’ll even take a picture of the bruise I’ll have by tomorrow.” Joo lets Yonghwa’s hand cover her wrist. “Put your guns down. Guard Park – make sure Jaejoong’s guards are dismissed immediately. Nobody pulls a gun out in my presence! NO ONE!” Joo was furious.

All six guards put down their guns but eye the other 3 guards warily.

“I won’t accept this Joo.” Jaejoong backs away. He points a finger at Yonghwa. “You’ll be sorry for this.”

“Agassi.” The six guards bow to Joo and disappear into the darkness.

“I’m sorry.” Joo faces Yonghwa.”I’m really sorry Yong.” She starts sobbing.

“Joo-“Yonghwa didn’t know what to say so he just holds his weeping girlfriend in his arms.

When her sobs subside she haltingly tells him that she was going home and that she’ll just wait for him there. She gives him a kiss on the cheek and like shadows the guards appear again.

“The car is waiting by the garden exit Agassi.” The guard bows to Joo.

“Please Yong to the entrance in the kitchen.  Make sure Jaejoong doesn’t go near him.” Joo gives Yonghwa’s hand a squeeze before she heads for the exit.

He felt self-conscious as he walked back to the kitchen entrance.  He thanked the guard who bowed and wished him a goodnight.

“Hyung! Where did you go? You’re Omma’s been looking for you.” Jonghyun tells him. “I’ve served your tables – no need to worry.  Were you with Joo?”

Yonghwa nods.  He takes his tray and walks out – he went around to check if the guests required any re-fills of their drinks.  His Omma corners him and asks where he went.  Yonghwa tells her he wasn’t feeling well.

“Well, you missed being introduced to Miss Seo.  Such poise and grace.” His Omma quips. His mother would be very surprised on how well he knew Miss Seo.

It was almost 1 in the morning when Yonghwa finally reaches Joo’s apartment. She was standing in the hallway when he let himself in. He could tell she’d been crying.

“Yong-“She just stood there. No longer the ethereally beautiful creature just hours ago.  Her face was devoid of makeup, her hair was wet and she was wearing her pink pajamas.  Soft and lovely. His Joo.

He takes her hand and leads her to the couch. “Tell me.” He said quietly.

She tells him of her childhood. Of growing up alone with a distant mother. How her Appa and Yoona made her happy - she cherished that bond. She spoke of Jaejoong and how he was trying to marry her – not for love but for the inheritance Joo would get.

“I’m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter