Start Again?

MY SUMMER LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ChoA could feel her Director’s intense irritation. It was palpable. Every step he took, his body language, the way he would look at his watch and his hand would impatiently brush his fringe away from his face.

Jung Yonghwa looked like a runway model for Armani.  With his hand in his pocket, fast walk and aloof air – he would have given the male models a run for their money. ChoA felt everyone’s eyes watching him as they walked out of the airport. His sunglasses didn’t show his eyes but ChoA knew they would be blazing.

Why was Jung Yonghwa hopping mad?

Because of Seo Joohyun.

And as much as ChoA admired the beautiful heiress – she didn’t want to be in Miss Seo’s Louboutin shoes just right now.

ChoA felt trouble in the air when she got a call from Director Jung the day before.  He was in Hong Kong and would be coming to Korea the next day.  He wanted the penthouse cleaned, his car ready and most of all he wanted an appointment with Miss Seo as soon as he landed.

That was the hard part.

Miss Seo’s assistant Mr. Kwanghee said she was busy for the next 3 days as they were launching their men’s collection. The earliest appointment he could give ChoA was Monday next week.

Absolutely not was Director Jung’s response. Now.

ChoA clutches her boss’s leather case. He was going to Miss Seo’s office he told her.

“Call her assistant and tell him we’re on our way.” He tells her as they were waiting for his car. “I’ll drive.”

He drove with skill and ease but ChoA held on her seat. He was driving way too fast. There was no conversation which was a blessing for her.

“Her address is-“ChoA turns to her boss.

“I know her address.” He looks at ChoA and nods. “You will come with me. Call her assistant and have someone park the car for us.”

ChoA dreaded the phone call she was about to make.  Mr. Kwanghee wasn’t an easy person to talk to.  He was firm in telling her that Miss Seo was busy.

“This is Huang Kwanghee.”

Yonghwa motions for ChoA to give him her phone.

“This is Director Jung Yonghwa – tell your President that I will be in your office in exactly 5 minutes.  Have someone in the lobby to park the car.” He closes the mobile and hands it back to ChoA.

The car pulls up the drive way of Seo One and a guard was standing in the curb. They get out of the car and Yonghwa hands the car key to man. They were met at the lobby by a burly older man who bowed and walked them to the elevator.

ChoA curses herself for being such a petite woman.  Her boss’ strides were long and she had to almost run after him.  She had to take calming breathes as they rode up the elevator. Beside her, her boss stood as still as a statue. She recognizes the calmness – it was usually evident before he goes into a crucial meeting. Except ChoA just had to wonder how crucial this meeting was. It was certainly not in his list of activities in Korea in the coming 8 weeks.

They were met by Miss Seo’s assistant, Mr. Kwanghee.  Although it was evident that the assistant was not happy to see them – he bows to them and ushers them into the waiting room.

“Miss Seo is in her atelier. I’ve informed her you were coming and she said you can wait in her office.” Kwanghee addresses Yonghwa.

Yonghwa just nods and motions ChoA to wait for him. “Secretary Park – just check my schedule for today while you’re waiting for me.”

Kwanghee ushers Yonghwa into Joo’s office. Politely asking him if he would like some refreshment Yonghwa just asks for water. Sitting in the white leather sofa Yonghwa remembers what happened to them in his own office sofa. He feels his face heat up and he abruptly stands and walks to the floor to ceiling windows. The Seoul skyline was beautiful – clear blue skies.  He’d been admiring the view for 5 minutes when he sighs impatiently.

He just didn’t have time for this.

But he had to because 2 persons depended on him.

He was in Hong Kong when he received a call from Amber and Victoria. They were the 2 women interested in continuing the pharmaceutical company that Joo’s Appa started. No one in W. Feng and Associates’ Korean office were surprised that Director Jung took personal interest in checking into the identities and backgrounds of the buyers of the pharma company – Director Jung was known to do that from time to time – he was just eccentric that way.  Everything was set – Yonghwa had already talked to the bank. Lee Joon and his family were already assured that the sale would push thru without a hitch as Yonghwa had left instructions with his office to take care of everything. Except for one thing – Joo kept cancelling the meeting with the 2 pharmacists despite of the impending deadline set by the bank for the transfer/sale. For someone who was supposed to care deeply about continuing her stepfather’s legacy – Seo Joohyun seemed to be all talk and no action. 

This made him furious.

He turns as the door opens only to be surprised by his cousin Krystal running towards him

“Oppa! Oppa!” She jumps into his arms and embraces him. “I finally see you!”

For the first time that day, Yonghwa’s eyes soften and he returns her embrace. Krystal was his all-time favorite cousin. He kisses her forehead and asks her how she was doing.

“Very busy Oppa – we’re launching our very first men’s accessories line here in Korea.  I haven’t even seen Hyukie Oppa for the last 2 weeks. He’s already pouting.” The vivacious young woman brought a smile to her cousin’s face.

“Orenmanida Oppa.” A soft voice calls out to him from the door.

“Ah Shin Hye-ah. I didn’t expect to see you here.” Yonghwa was still holding Krystal’s hand and he pulls his cousin to sit in the sofa with him. “What is the director of the Angel Foundation doing here?”

“Ah- Kim Woobin is donating his professional fee to the foundation.” Shin Hye sits on the chair facing Yonghwa and Krystal.

“He wants to get into your good graces, Director Park.” Krystal giggles.

“Soo-jung!” Yonghwa reprimands his cousin when he sees Shin Hye blushing.

“What? It’s true!” The young woman was unrepentant and giggles naughtily.

“Much as I like seeing both of you – this is not why I am here.” Yonghwa tells them.

“Oppa – just wait a bit Joo Unnie –“Yonghwa levels a stern stare at her. “I mean, President Seo will be in here in a few minutes she just needs to wrap up some things in the atelier.” Krystal hooks her arm with Yonghwa and smiles widely.

“You should really not pull that much aegyo on me. It doesn’t work in times like this.” Yonghwa ruffles her hair.

“Sorry I’m late.” Joo sweeps into the room followed by Kwanghee. “My apologies Director Jung.” She sits behind her massive glass desk. “Ladies, leave us please. Kwanghee, please bring us tea.”

“Oppa – let’s meet up for dinner sometime. Call me.” Shin Hye stands up and pulls Krystal from Yonghwa.

“Us too –Oppa – let’s all have dinner together – Hyukie Oppa, Shinee Oppa and Jongie Oppa.” Krystal leans to give Yonghwa a kiss on the cheek.

When the door closes Joo and Yonghwa look at each other.

Joo tries to calm her heart. It was roaring in her ears. This would be the first time she sees him after what happened in his office. She felt hot and cold all over. It took all of her poise not to look away from Yonghwa. He looked very handsome in his tailored suit despite of the anger she glimpses in his eyes.

Yonghwa took in the almost see thru billowing white blouse tucked into ripped slim jeans. Her hair in waves and smelling like flowers. He did his best to maintain the anger in his eyes. The woman was just too delicious for words.

“Miss Seo – I came here to ask why you haven’t concluded the sale of the pharmaceutical company. The Lee Group needs that monies arising from that sale and as I told your lawyer before – the bank set a specific deadline for the contract.” Yonghwa leans against the sofa and crosses his arms. No way was he sitting on the chair across her desk. She should come to him.

“Director Jung – I believe that I’ve relayed my apologies to both the Lee Group and the 2 prospective buyers.  I am in the midst of launching Bella Cuoio’s first men’s line.” Joo clasped her hands behind her desk.

“And I believe I told you and your legal team that the bank set a specific deadline – which has passed – on the sale of the company. Your indecisiveness has caused the Lee Group to miss out on one payment with their bank not to mention the 2 prospective buyers who had to withdraw their letter of interest. May I remind you that the Seo Fortune still has interests in the Lee Group and this delay has resulted in a quite a few million won lost.” Yonghwa’s elbows rested on his knees. He looked calm and collected.

Joo’s hands clutch even tighter.  She’d gotten an earful from her mother about this.  Lee Joon’s mother had been rushed to the hospital.  She felt bad but really she was busy.

No! You just want him to come back – even if it is to scold you – just to see him.

“I’ve told Kwanghee to invite the 2 pharmacists for a meeting on Monday. I would be free then.” Joo inwardly cringed at her defense. She must look so unprofessional in his eyes.

“That’s very nice of you. But did you know the postponement of the sale not only resulted in a loss of money but jobs as well? The Lee Group had to let go of 500 employees. The 2 prospective buyers had to pay penalties. And your father’s company will be put in receivership by end of the week. So you see – being available by next week is too late.” Yonghwa stands up and walks to the windows. His hands behind his back.

Joo resists the urge to follow him with his eyes.

“I’m perfectly willing to face up to the consequences of my tardy decision Director Jung. You don’t need to remind me.” Joo needed to take the Ice Princess’ tone.

“I’m sure – you have always someone take care of the falls outs.” Yonghwa said smoothly.

Joo’s temper flared but before she could answer him Kwanghee came in with one of the secretaries wheeling in the tea tray service.

There was silence punctuated only by the sound of the tea service being set up by the secretary. Kwanghee looks at his boss and Director Jung. The tension was high.

“Do you need me for anything President Seo?” Kwanghee asks.

“She needs you to set up a meeting with Miss Song and Miss Liu as soon as possible. The issue of the pharmaceutical company needs to be settled this week.” Yonghwa tells Kwanghee.

Joo felt her face heat up.

Really Jung Yonghwa could be such a bastard if he set his mind to it!

“Before you kill me with your eyes Miss Seo – let me tell you that this was the deadline that was given to my boss, William Feng by the Seo Foundation’s Chief Legal Counsel Atty. Kim Kap-soo. Please feel free to contact him.” Yonghwa looks at Joo. “I’m merely the messenger.”

“Clear my schedule for tomorrow afternoon.” Joo tells her assistant.

“Please coordinate with Miss Park.  I want to be present in the meeting. Make sure that there is an attorney present in order to finalize the papers.” Yonghwa sits down and pours himself a cup of tea.

“Director Jung – the sandwiches are for you. Secretary Park told me that you haven’t eaten since you landed.” Kwanghee adds.

“Thank you.” Yonghwa replies.  Tiny cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches weren’t really a favorite of his but he was hungry so he takes one and leisurely bites into it.

Joo sighs. Yonghwa wasn’t going to leave just yet. “That will be all. Thank you.”

Yonghwa was into eating his third sandwich when he asks, “Are you just going to sit there and not have tea with me?”

It was a breach of good manners and Joo didn’t want him to find any more faults with her than he already had. She sighs, stands up and makes her way to him. Sitting in the chair directly opposite him she graciously accepts the cup of tea he gives her. He offers the sandwich plate to her but she declines. He merely shrugs and finishes the remaining sandwiches.

“How have you been?” He asks as he pours another cup of tea for himself.

Joo stares at hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter