WHAT SEPARATES YOU AND ME

MY SUMMER LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joo landed in Hanoi 4 hours after she stormed out of her mother’s office.

After screaming at her mother and slamming the door, Joo immediately gave instructions to Guard Park to have all her guards ready to fly to Vietnam.

“You’re going to Vietnam Joo?” Kawanghee’s eyes widened as he followed his boss to her office.

“You heard me – prepare everything – call the hangar and have the jet prepared.  Tell them I want Senior Pilot Man Shik to fly me to Hanoi. I’m getting my passport and bag from my office – I want to be in the airport in 30 minutes.”

“But Joo….”

“Call in a favor with the consulate.” Joo calls out just before the door to her office closes.

“Ah she drives me crazy sometimes!” Kwanghee slumps on his chair. Sighing he turns to the secretaries in the room. “You heard what Miss Joo said – get working and get me the Consulate office ASAP!”

Joo wasn’t happy landing 4 hours later and she was very vocal to Kwanghee about it. But Yonghwa was more important so she would just let it slide for now.

She was ushered into the waiting company car as soon as she steps down from the jet.

“What is the condition in the Head Office?”  She asks the 2 guards that were employed with the Seo Fortune’s Hanoi headquarters.

“President Seo, Atty Kap Soo and the 2 consultants are barricaded in the Main Boardroom with the 4 guards, Agassi. Director Linh Nga is with them. Then the COOs of the 2 corporations and their assistants – a total of 13 people Agassi.” The Head of Security reported. “There are about 30 protesters outside the boardroom including the 2 union heads.”

“Chief Le – how can this happen? Why did this happen?” Joo asks. “Our police contacts what are they doing about this?”

“They have ascertained that everyone in the board room is safe and the riot police are just waiting for President Seo’s signal to storm the building. However, the W. Feng consultants, have advised your Uncle against it.”

Joo closes her eyes as her head starts to pound. Of course the riot police shouldn’t storm the building – it would even be more dangerous for the people inside the boardroom. From the continuing TV footage Joo knew that the protesters had clubs with them. The incident was rapidly attracting international attention, already the reporting sites have started bringing in their own people to cover the event.

“Agassi – are you really going there?” The Head of Security looked at Joo with a worried frown. “It could get ugly and the Chairwoman would be very angry at us if you are put in danger.”

“Well, she should have thought about it when she decided to close 2 corporations!” Joo snaps. “Mianeyo I am just very agitated about what is happening. And yes, I am going there with my guards.”

“Agassi – your guards are unarmed. We have guns that they can carry with them.”

“No – no definitely not.  This is not required.  I am sure I will be quite safe.” Joo replies. “My guards will protect me.”

When Joo steps out of the sedan she was swarmed with reporters wanting to know why she was there.  Her guards and the Head of Security form a ring round her and were able to push back the reporters.

Joo puts on her most business like face. She was Seo Joohyun and those snarling mad people crowding around her did not deserve a flicker of emotion from her. Her guards kept pushing the protesters until they were almost at the entrance.

She didn’t understand a word the protesters yelled at her but judging from their angry faces none of it was complementary. She willed herself to be calm and continue walking.  When they reached the elevators one of the protesters a young man comes up to Joo and talks to her in English.

“Are you representing the Seo Fortune?” He asks.

Guard Park immediately puts himself in front of Joo. “You don’t need to answer him Agassi.”

Joo shakes her head and steps in front of her Head Guard. “Yes, I need to go to the Board Room – could you please tell everyone that I need to go to the boardroom.” Joo replies.

The young man talks to the others. Joo with her guards were allowed to go up but the Head of Security was not. Instead the young man tells Joo that he will accompany them up.

“Thank you.” Joo looks at the young man.

“You are Seo Joohyun are you not?” He asks her as the elevator doors close.

“Yes I am.” Joo nods. “Thank you for your help.”

“My name is Niki Trang. My father is the union leader for SM Construction.” The young man smiles and bows to Joo.

“You speak English well.” Joo remarks.

“Ah – that’s because I lived in the US with my mother until high school then I moved back here to be with my father – I study in Hanoi University. Oh, we’re here – Miss Seo. Uhm –could you please let me do the talking first?”

The young man positions himself in front of Joo as the elevator opens. Instinctively Joo lets her guards surround her as they step out of the elevator.

Niki talks to a man who was an older version of himself except that the older man kept glancing at Joo with a steadily darkening face.  The others men eyed Joo’s bodyguards.

Joo observed the situation and felt a bead of sweat trickle down her back. The air conditioners were off and corridor smelled of sweat. Joo takes a deep breath and gathers her poise. She told herself that she wasn’t going to be scared of these men. And the only important thing was to get to the board room and see for herself that Yonghwa, Atty Kap Soo, Uncle Dong and President Feng were safe.

“My father’s asking why they should let you in. What could you do for them? They’re very angry at the Seo Fortune and that the consultant lied to them.” Niki tells Joo. “My father knows who you are but I told him not to tell the others because they may just – you know.” He scratches his head.

“Tell your father I need to get inside the board room to check on the people in there. After I am assured that they’re then I’ll see what I can do for your father and others.” Joo replies.

“Can we trust you to do that? Your mother is dead set in closing our companies down – how do we know you’ll not lie too?” Niki asks her.

“I give you my word. Not the Seo Fortune’s word, not the Chairwoman’s word – but my word – Seo Joohyun’s word. Now tell them to let me pass.” Joo’s voice was calm.

Niki goes back and talks to his father.  After a few minutes he approaches Joo. “I’ll take you in but your guards need to stay behind, if you don’t agree then you can’t enter.”

“Agassi –“Guard Park looks at Joo.

“I’ll be fine. Yong’s there.” Joo reassures her guards.

“There’s a reception area before the board room.” Guard Park replies. “Can I at least accompany her until she enters the board room?”

Niki shakes his head. “No sorry – don’t worry I will be with her and besides my father won’t hurt a woman – no matter who she is. Let’s go.” He starts to walk away.

Joo nods to her guards and follows him.  The crowd parts and lets them thru. Joo had never felt so self-conscious in her life. She resisted the urge to fold her arms across her chest.  She was glad that she had black harem pants and a sheer black blouse instead of a dress. Her high heeled sandals echoed on the marble floor.

When they enter the anteroom Niki’s father stops and once again asks Niki if he was sure that Joo should enter. The older man looks at Joo and scowls. Father and son argue until another man enters and talks to them.

“That was the other union leader – Mr. Nguyen. He convinced my father to let you go in. And you’re to give the people inside a message. They have 24 hours to think of a solution that’s acceptable to the unions before this entire building is trashed. The riot police can’t do anything as the every entrance has been barricaded. The Plastics office and factories are also surrounded and it only needs a phone call from Mr. Nguyen and they’ll set fire to it. Since the Seo Fortune is going to ruin everyone might as well ruin the Seo Fortune.” Niki tells her.

“But that wouldn’t solve anything.” Joo said. “Sorry to say but the Seo Fortune won’t be ruined by burning 2 factories down. We can build 4 more in 2 years in another country – Niki! The Seo Fortune has the means.”

“Miss Seo – we’re desperate and the Seo Fortune knows that. What you’re doing to the workers and their families is grossly unfair. We want the whole world to know just how unfair the Seo Fortune is. I’m siding with my father and the unions on this. Tomorrow it won’t just be me – other students will come and we’ll be holding a rally. “

Joo sighs and walks towards the board room doors. She stands and looks on as the chains are removed and gives Niki’s father a small bow before stepping inside.

 “Agassi!”

“Miss Seo!”

“Joohyunah!”

Atty Kap Soo, her Uncle Dong and Will Feng hurried to Joo as soon as she stepped into the room.

Joo looks at Yonghwa.  He was standing next to Director Nga by the windows. Unlike the other 3 men, he did not greet her.  Instead his face was expressionless – this meant that he was very upset that she was there.

“Agassi! What were you thinking?” You shouldn’t be here.  Why did the Chairwoman let you come here?” Atty Kap Soo exclaims. “Goodness, young woman, you have no sense in you!”

Joo gasps and looks at the Legal Head.  The old gentleman was visibly upset.

“Miss Seo – this is a very dangerous situation – you should not have come here.” Will Feng stands next to Joo.

“First of all, I came here by myself and I don’t need my Mother’s permission.” Joo answers defensively.

“You’re like your Mother all over again!” Uncle Dong stands in front of Joo and wags his finger at her. “Hard headed just like her – let us solve this problem ourselves – it’s because of her meddling we are in the situation that we are now!”

“Is solving the problem being holed up in this room? With a chained door and 30 angry men outside?” Joo exclaims.

“Miss Seo. “Director Nga approaches Joo. “Director Jung and I are trying to solve the situation already. We’ve been in contact with the police chief that’s why the SWAT team isn’t taking action. We are preparing another presentation this time we will request the 2 union leaders to be present. President Feng is in contact with the investor in Australia and we are fairly certain that they will invest –.”

“Excuse me Li-li.” Yonghwa stands next to Director Nga. “Let me speak with Miss Seo in private.”

Joo knew this was coming. Yonghwa’s voice was flat, cold and formal. “Miss Seo – if you don’t mind would you please step into ante-room with me.”

He walks away without waiting for her answer. Joo takes a deep breath and follows.

He holds the door open for her and quietly closes the door.

“Yong- I-“Joo barely starts to speak when he cuts her off.

“Who told you that I wanted to be rescued? I don’t need you save me.  We don’t need you to come in here and make the situation even more dangerous than it already is.” Yonghwa’s words dripped ice.

“I just wanted-“

“Were you not thinking straight when you got on that jet of yours? Did you even stop to think? You being here gives those union bastards an edge in bargaining with the Seo Fortune.  This is not how Will and I planned this. You are our client and our clients can never be exposed to this type of situation! Your Mother can fire us on the spot because of what you did – because you came here! Then where will those 10,000 employees be? Nowhere! And all the planning and solutions that we’ve spent time on making will be for nothing! And all because you wanted to ride your white jet plane and save your boyfriend.”  Yonghwa was livid with anger. He wanted to shake her so badly. The thought of her walking amidst those angry men sent chills up his spine.

Joo angrily blinks back tears. She was so scared for him and here he was in front of her – so angry that his knuckles were white as he gripped his cane.

“Don’t! Don’t you get angry at me Seo Joohyun! This is the stupidest thing you’ve ever done! You put yourself in danger –you didn’t even think how I would feel about you walking thru a crowd of angry men – what if they did something to you? You think 6 guards can protect you from more than 200 men? What? Being the heir to the Seo Fortune makes you invincible?” He was shaking with anger that he had to step away from her.

“But I didn’t get harmed – so why are you so angry with me?” Joo stomps her foot in anger.

“You’re really something else Seo Joohyun. You’re really just like your Mother. Both of you seem to think that your money can buy everything and everyone. And someday – your money can’t protect you!” Yonghwa raises his voice.

“I am not my Mother! I didn’t send you here knowing that those people will cause trouble. I am not the one who wants to put 10,000 people out of work just because the Cambodian ambassador’s wife plays tennis with me! I am not the one who threatened to fire your firm if you didn’t do w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter