LOVE BLOOMS IN THE SUMMER

MY SUMMER LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

LOVE BLOOMS IN THE SUMMER

Joo woke up that Monday morning feeling particularly happy.  Her Appa and Yoona called the night before – she cried because she missed them and had to listen to her Appa lecture her about failing her subjects.

Joo often wondered why it was that when her Appa scolded her she was always regretful and sorry for her actions but when her mother scolded her she was combative even when she knew she was in the wrong. Her mother brought out the worst in her.

Yong was already waiting for her when she got to the library.

“Am I late?” She asks as she slides as quietly as she could in the chair next to him.

“No – I have another student I was tutoring just before you.” He smiles his crooked smile at her and her breath hitched slightly – he looked so nice smiling at her like that. 

Joo decided right there and then that she would try to keep her real identity secret from him for as long as possible. She would tell him eventually but not yet.  She’d never been comfortable with people who fawned on her after learning who she was. All her life her friends were carefully selected and programmed.  Taeyeon and Tiffany were vetted by their respective families’ wealth – they weren’t as rich as Joo’s family but they had the correct connections as far as her mother was concerned. Joo was just thankful that Taeyeon and Tiffany were real enough friends with her since they understood her situation.

“Hey – no time to day dream.  My clock is ticking! What were your lessons today?” Yong nudged her arm playfully.

“Sorry – I was just –“Joo felt her cheeks blush.  “Here I took notes-“

They were into their 3rd week when Joo arrived earlier than her time with Yong.  She was 30 minutes early because her professor just gave them the statistical models they were supposed to do and left the lecture hall.  Joo ran all the way to the library.  She wanted to finish tutoring early because Tiffany was coming back from Korea and she had told Joo that Appa and Yoona had sent presents for her.

She saw Yong sitting with a very pretty girl.  The sunlight hit the two of them and they looked perfect together.  He was looking over her notes and she was rubbing her hands together.  He was shaking his head at her and laughingly messed up the girl’s hair.

Joo’s heart gave a squeeze.  They must have noticed her because Yong looked up and his smile vanished.

“Joo - uhm – you’re early.” He said softly.  He took his hand away from the girl’s hair.

“So- so-sorry I know it’s not yet my time.  I’ll just sit here.” Joo pointed to the table across them. She had the most absurd urge to cry. She puts her satchel down and gets her books.  She stares at the economic model for the longest time. She clutched her pen and began trying to interpret the data.

It seemed like ages before he sat down beside her. Joo felt him looking at her and she mustered enough courage to look at him. “Sorry for disturbing you.” She said quietly.

“That’s alright – Shinhye’s taking up an advance subject for the summer.” He explained.

“Oppa!” They turned around and another girl was walking towards them. She was cute and looked young.

The girl included Joo in her smile. ‘Mian Oppa – I have to move up our tutorial tomorrow by an hour.  My Omma is coming a day early from Korea and I have to fetch her.  Is that alright with you?” Then turning to Joo she bows,”Mian I just need to ask Oppa.”

“Not a problem.” Joo fixes a smile on her face.  She was dismayed think that all his clients were girls.

“That’s alright Jimin – I’ll change my calendar right now.” He takes out a small planner and jots down the time.  “I’ll update my computer when I get home. Oh by the way Joo this is Jimin – she taking advance Macro this summer.” Both girls smile at each other.

“Thanks Oppa!” Jimin smiles and hurries away.

“Another client?” She asks. Yong nods and looks at what she was doing. “You missed something…”

Joo had a hard time following what Yong was saying about the macro scale model and she had a more difficult time on the statistical problems.

“Joo are you alright?” Yong lightly taps her fingers with his pen. “Maybe we’ll do this again when you can better concentrate.” He tilts his head and looks at her intently.

“I’m sorry Yong – I guess I’m just too excited because Tiffany’s coming back from Korea and she’s bringing presents from my family.” Joo smiles nervously. 

“Understandable. I’m free tomorrow morning if you like – Jimin’s an hour early so I’m free by lunch. We can have lunch and study at the same time.” He said.

“I keep forgetting to ask you what you’re taking up this summer.” Joo pretended to be looking at her notes.  She didn’t want to look directly at him because he was too distracting for her.

“Just 3 subjects on econometrics.  I hope to finish at least a semester earlier so I can move on to masters.” He said it so simply – he didn’t sound boastful or condescending. “I’m on full scholarship and I tutor on the side.”

“Plus you have a 2nd job.” She added.

He lets out a chuckle. “Oh that too.  It isn’t really a job but more like a hobby that pays. I do it with my friends – since 1st year.”

“And that would be?” She was curious – curious about everything – about him.

“Oh – we play at a small club in the outskirts of the city.  Just a small pub. And we don’t even play all the time – sometimes we bartender – it’s just hanging out with my friends.” He gives a small laugh.

“Can I watch you perform sometime?” The words were out of before she could stop herself.  She wanted to sink to the floor and just die.

You are a certified idiot Seo Joohyun.

“Uhm – maybe some time.” He gave an embarrassed laugh. “Alright so let’s cancel today and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Alright.” Joo looked down so she could hide the sudden hurt feeling she felt. He couldn’t wait to get away.

“That’s it? Alright?” He remarks. “You must want to get away from studying right now.”

Joo just gave a small smile and began packing her books and notes. She lifts her eyes and notices that he was still there.

“Would you find it extremely cheesy if I asked you to have something to eat with me?” He looks at her. “I haven’t eaten lunch yet and it’s too early for dinner.”

Joo looks at him and suddenly dries up.

Sometime in the 3 weeks she’d seen him every other day he’d grown handsomer in her eyes.  Not that he wasn’t good looking – since the first time she met him, Yong was extremely easy on the eyes. His face was expressive specially his eyes.  He was patient and always answered her questions.  She always looked at his hands – they were long and tapering and he uses them to emphasize a point whenever he was explaining something to her.  He was always dressed simply but all his clothes looked good on him.  He also smelled so good.

Wait! Smelled so good? When did that happen?  When did she start to see Yong as a man?

Joo was nothing but brutally honest with herself.  Growing up almost by herself taught her that.

Maybe the first time I ever saw him.

 “You’re taking a lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter