A FORK IN THE ROAD

MY SUMMER LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Joo – you should really sleep upstairs.” Jonghyun tells her. “Four more hours to go.”

They were sitting on the benches near the operating rooms.  Her guards were all sitting nearer to the elevator. Her Head Guard had already approached her 3 times telling her to just rest in the suite upstairs but Joo refused to budge. She would wait she told Guard Park.

“I can wait.”Joo shakes her head.

“Joo – I’m really sorry that we blamed you for what happened to us. That was an unfair accusation – you suffered just like we did – even more than us. To be honest, Hyung was looking for you for days – he kept asking the nurses when you were coming back. He got really depressed as the days went by and you didn’t visit him. I guess that was the one that got to us the most – you leaving Hyung. He struggled so much then not just physically but mentally. He knew that he hurt you a lot by asking you to leave. He never stopped looking for you and hoping you’d come back.”

“I couldn’t come back Jongie Oppa – I hurt you all so much. I hurt Yong Oppa so much. I was ashamed and a coward. So here I am – 10 years later – waiting for him like I should have done. I shouldn’t have left him then and I’m not leaving him now. You understand?” Joo blinks back tears.

Jonghyun nods and silently hands her his handkerchief. She gives him a watery smile and dries her eyes.

When the 11th hour passes, Joo and Jonghyun were getting concerned. They were expecting Yoona to come and tell them about a delay.

They wait for 2 hours more before the doors open and Yonghwa is wheeled out.

“Unnie I need to go with him. Can you just tell me about the delay later?” Joo tells Yoona as she follows the gurney then she turns and runs to embrace Yoona. “Unnie kamsahamnida I don’t know how I can ever repay you for this. Thank you for keeping him safe for me.”

“So why did the operation take so long?” Jonghyun asks Yoona as they watch Joo run after the gurney.

“Thank you for asking about my condition – I can’t feel my legs anymore.” Yoona looks at her boyfriend.

“Dr. Im – congratulations on your stamina and endurance. “ One of the surgeons smiles at her. “Now we need to stabilize him and keep him immobile for as long as we can.”

“When will he wake up?” Jonghyun asks.

“One or one and a half days.” The surgeon tells him. “Well I’ll see you for the recap tomorrow Dr. Im.”

“Thank you.” Yoona tells the 3 surgeons and the anaesthesiologist. “I will be there tomorrow.”

When the surgeons were at the far end of the corridor Yoona collapses on the floor clutching at her legs. Jonghyun lifts her up and carries her.

“So why did the operation go on overtime?” He asks her.

“Ack! I hate you!” Yoona exclaims.

“No, you don’t. “ His dimples show as he smiles at her. “Let’s go and see Hyung and Joo then let’s go home to the hotel. The suite is paid until next week might as well not waste it. How about a hot bath tub date Dr. Im?”

“Sounds great.” She sighs.

He puts her down and they wait for the elevator. “Everything went well right?”

“Yes, it’s just that its micro surgery and the surgeons were just being really careful and all of us agree that Yong shouldn’t be subjected to another operation like this for the rest of his life.”

 They enter the VIP suite and find Joo fixing Yonghwa’s blanket. Tubes link Yonghwa to a machine that monitored all his vital signs.

“Unnie. “ Joo once again embraces her sister. “You must be so tired.”

“That I am – the team will be here later to see how he’s doing.  Meanwhile let me sit down and stretch my legs. I feel that my hips are way down on the floor. Oh and the resident and the nurses assigned to Yong will be coming in soon.” Yoona lifts her legs on the coffee table and sighs.

“Come sit down and let me tell you about the operation.” Yoona tells Jonghyun and Joo.

The resident and the nurses come in and introduce themselves.

“Uhm – the guards outside are they for Mr. Jung?” The resident asks. “Will they be here all night?”

“They will be here until we are here.” Joo looks at the medical personnel. “They’ve been cleared with your Security Department and with the exception of my Head Guard they are unarmed.”

When they left Yoona scowls at her sister. “No need to turn all Ice Princess on them. People are naturally weary of guards.”

“Not in New York City Unnie. They were just being nosy.” Joo had to hold her hands over her face as she yawns.

“I can get something for you?” Jonghyun looks at pale and tired faces of Yoona and Joo.

“I think I just need sleep – I’m not hungry. Don’t worry about me Oppa – Guard Park always takes care of me.” Joo smiles. “Go home and rest Unnie I know you’re super tired. The Bentley is just outside waiting for you – Guard Kang will take you.”

When they leave Joo takes another look at Yonghwa before getting her pajamas and heading to the bathroom.  When she came out she felt a whole lot better – she was drying her hair when she hears a discreet knock on the door.

Guard Park was standing outside and clears his throat. “Agassi – Doryeongnim has a visitor. She’s been in the lobby for quite a while – I told her I would call her as soon as you were here.”

“Miss Seo annyeong.” Eun Hye bows to Joo. “I’m sorry for intruding but –“

“No it’s all right I know you’d come to visit.” Joo steps aside to allow Eun Hye to enter. She glances at her watch – it was almost 5AM.

“How did the operation go?” Eun Hye asks as she looks at Yonghwa.

“It went 2 hours over the schedule but my sister tells me that it’s because it’s micro surgery. The surgeons say that after this he wouldn’t need another operation.” Joo tells her.

“Thank goodness.” Eun Hye smiles at Joo. “I’ll be going then.”

“Thank you for your visit then – I’ll tell Oppa you came.” Joo walks Eun Hye to the door. “I’m sorry you had to wait so long.”

“Miss Seo – uhm – would it be alright if I come back some time?”

“I have Oppa’s mobile – you can text me when you’re coming and if he’s awake I’ll let you know.”

“Thank you – for understanding.” Eun Hye reaches shyly and touches Joo’s hand.

“Professor Yoon – please tell Oppa’s parents that they can visit him anytime. If they want I can step out of the room when they visit. I’m sure they’re worried about him as well.”

“I’ll be sure to tell them that.” Eun Hye nods. “Good morning Miss Seo.”

“Good morning Professor Yoon.”  Joo replies as she closes the door.

“You already had your first visitor Oppa. “ Joo leans and fixes Yonghwa’s fringe. “Sleep well – I’ll just be right here.” She gives him a kiss on his forehead. “You did well Nampyeon I’m so proud of you.”

Joo’s body was very tired but she couldn’t sleep. She was no stranger to over fatigue – she had nights like this especially when she was just starting her business.  She would have loved a glass of almond milk but that would mean disturbing the guards.

She tosses and turns and finally heads for the refrigerator.  He stomach was grumbling and she felt nauseous. Her face breaks out in a smile when she sees that Guard Park had stocked the refrigerator with orange juice and almond milk.  Like a child she does a little dance when she takes her first sip of the almond milk.

She sends a text to Guard Park thanking him for the orange juice and the milk.  Her Head Guard texts back and tells her that Yonghwa gave him instructions to keep the refrigerator stocked with Joo’s favorite drinks and snacks.

“So it’s you.” Joo looks down at Yonghwa. She kisses his cheek. “Thoughtful as always – no wonder I love you. Always loved you.” 

Joo goes to sleep with a smile on her face. “Love you Oppa.” She calls out just before she closes her eyes.

“Agassi….Agassi.” Joo hears Guard’s Parks voice and tires her best to open her eyes.

“Yes? Did something happen to Yong?” She sits up and looks at her guard.

“Uhm no Agassi – Doryeongnim is still asleep. His father is here though.” Guard Park tells her.

Joo looks at her mobile – it was 9 AM. “Uhm – yes I’ll just fix myself.” She had less than 3 hours of sleep.

Joo goes to the bathroom and washes the sleep out of her eyes and combs her hair.

“Do I have to dress up?” She asks herself. “Of course I do.” She quickly steps out of her pajamas and changes to denims and a Columbia hoodie pull over that was Yonghwa’s. It was long and reached her knees and covered her hands. She felt comforted by wearing her Oppa’s clothes. Her feet slip into UGG slippers.

Joo opens the door to a gentleman who resembled Yonghwa. “Annyeong hasayo Abeonim.”  She bows respectfully and steps aside for him to enter the suite.

“Annyeong hasayo.” Her father in law nods. His eyes take in the big hospital suite– it was the most expensive room in the hospital and had its own nurse’s station. He found the 6 guards very intimidating but the Head Guard was soft spoken and respectful.

“I take it that the operation was successful.” He looks at the woman who was his daughter in law. She was very lovely – even in the morning light, without any make up on. He could understand his son’s obsession with Seo Joohyun, the Ice Princess. He was surprised that she opened the door wearing just jeans and a hoodie that obviously belonged to his son.  He expected her to be haughtier and defensive instead what he saw was a wife watching over her husband.

“Yes it was Abeonim. They just went a little bit overtime because it’s micro surgery.  The doctors say that Oppa will no longer need another operation after this one.” Joo kept her voice respectful and only glanced at her father in law briefly. She was overwhelmed with shyness and desperately wished that Yonghwa was awake.

Her father in law took in the tell-tale flush on the young woman’s cheeks and how she modulated her voice to keep it from shaking. He remembered that Yonghwa told him that Joo was very shy and that the Ice Princess was only a facade. His son told him that his daughter in law had been raised by servants and was very weary of people who wanted to be friends with her.

“When will Yongie wake up?”

“Uhm it would be a day or a day and half from last night Abeonim. The doctors will have a post op meeting today and they will visit Oppa in the afternoon.”

“I heard you sister was with Yongie for the entire operation.”

“Yes she was Abeonim – my sister is an orthopedic surgeon.” Joo replies. “She’s Oppa’s main doctor.”

“Come lift your eyes when you address me, Daughter in law.” The older man tells Joo. “It is alright.”

Joo bows and lifts her head. Her heart beat faster because her father in law had a small smile on his face.

“My son’s mother doesn’t know I came here. I was supposed to be jogging then playing chess with my friends. I’m sorry you were hurt the last time we met. My wife – she took things pretty badly when Yongie had an accident. All mothers are like that. We must give her time to come around. Yongie and his mother have similar attitudes that’s why they usually clash but they love each other. We just need to have more patience.” Her father in law nods.

“Ah wait – I have something for you. I know you haven’t had breakfast. Here eat it while it’s hot.” He hands her a paper bag. “Now I have to go – your Ommonim is nosy and will probably check up on me in about 15 minutes.”

Joo clutches the brown bag and bows as she opens the door for her father in law. “Have a good day Abeonim. Thank you for the visit.”

The elder man just nods his head and motions her to close the door.

Joo sits on the sofa and gingerly opens the brown bag. Her eyes blink back tears as she pulls out toast with egg and luncheon meat. It was something she hadn’t eaten in ages – one that her mother vehemently warned their Korean staff never to feed Joo. But Appa would feed her this sandwich mainly because he would overrule her mother’s objections and make the sandwich himself.

Biting into the hot sandwich Joo’s tears fall down her face. She finished the two halves – chewing slowly savouring the long ago memories of her childhood with her Appa and thankful for the thoughtfulness of her Oppa’s father.

That she felt queasy afterwards was a given – Joo never ate greasy food - her stomach wasn’t used to it. She drinks orange juice and sits down waiting for her stomach to settle. She felt so happy. It didn’t matter that her stomach protested.

When Yoona and Jonghyun came she was still sitting on the sofa.

“Joo –what happened? Why are you crying?” Yoona sits down and looks at the tearful yet smiling face of her sister.

Joo tells them about the visit to Yonghwa’s father. Yoona embraces Joo and both of them cry. Jonghyun teases them that they watched too many Korean dramas.  Tissue papers were thrown at him.

When Yoona leaves for her post op meeting Jonghyun was left with Joo.

“Jongie Oppa – I have a surprise for you.” Joo smiles and pushes a button on her mobile.  The opening guitar chords made Jonghyun’s eyes widen.

“It’s –“

“Yes – the song Yong Oppa played for me when we were on Catalina Island.  Do you remember?” Joo smiles at Jonghyun.

“Why do you have this?” Jonghyun exclaims.

Joo explains that she had Yonghwa sing it again while secretly recording it. It was meant to be a surprise for him but sadly the accident happened.

“So he was happy when he heard it.  He made it the ringtone for his mobile.” Joo beams.

“Look at you all glowing and happy.” Jonghyun teases Joo.

They were laughing when the machine starts beeping. Joo immediately presses the call button for the resident.

“What is it?” Joo asks the resident.

“He’s close to consciousness and experiencing pain. I’ve increased the pain killer dosage as of now.  It’s a good thing all his doctors are here. I’ll inform them immediately.” The resident rushes out.

Joo dries Yonghwa’s forehead with a towel. “Just bear for it a bit Oppa. Just bear it.”

For Joo and Jonghyun the wait for the resident seemed long.  When 45 minutes passes Jonghyun goes out to ask the nurses if the resident returned.

“Be patient Joo – I’m sure your sister is working on a solution to this.” He tells Joo when he comes back. “The machine is holding steady for now.”

After another hour, Joo kept wiping Yonghwa’s forehead, the machine starts beeping again. Jonghyun goes back to the nurses’ station and tells the nurse to have Yoona paged immediately.

Yoona and 3 more doctors were in the suite within 5 minutes.

“Mrs. Jung we want to keep him under for at least another day but that would mean an increase in the pain killers. Dr. Im told us that your husband has requested that the minimum requirement for painkillers be given to him. Looking at his monitor right now we know that his threshold for pain is very high. Any other patient would have woken up from the pain.” The lead surgeon tells Joo.

“What would be your recommendation? Joo asks the doctors.

“Joo, we’ll increase the dosage and gradually lessen it after 4 hours then every hour after that.  He will wake up after that.” Yoona holds Joo. “He’ll be in pain and we’ll see what we can do then.”

 The lead surgeon gives instructions to the resident and increases the dosage. Yoona tells them that she’ll be back in an hour. The 2 nurses that were hired for assisting Joo come in and change Yonghwa.

“It must have been so painful – his sheets are soaked with sweat.” Joo looks at Jonghyun.  The nurses were quick and efficient – soon the monitor was once again beeping steadily.

“Let’s hope he’ll hold for 6 hours.” Jonghyun pats Joo’s arm. “Don’t worry too much – Hyung might feel it.”

“Agassi – the food tray is here.  There are 2 more trays for Yoona Agassi and Jonghyun Doryeongnim.” Guard Park opens the door and an orderly brings in a cart containing 3 trays.

“Will there be a rotation of the guards?” Joo asks. “Please make sure everyone’s eaten.”

“Of course Agassi. Don’t worry about us. Just concentrate on Doryeongnim.” Her Head Guard tells Joo. “Oh and Agassi – the Chairwoman is asking for an update on Doryeongnim’s condition. She said she’s been calling you but you haven’t picked up.”

“Ah – no! She’ll go ballistic again. I put my phone on silent when we were waiting for Oppa and I haven’t changed it since then. “Joo opens her mobile to find at 10 texts and 5 voicemails from her mother, 3 from Atty. Kapsoo, 3 from Kwanghee and 4 from Krystal.

“Mian...mian” Joo whispers as she replies to each text. She left responding to her mother last.

“Wish me luck Oppa.” She tells Jonghyun as she waits for her mother to answer. Joo holds the phone away from her ear when her mother starts shouting t her.

“How many times can I say I’m sorry?!” Joo paces the floor in agitation. ”I know- I know he’s your only son in law. I know the Board and the relatives want to know. Omma! I was too busy taking care of my husband! I forgot everything else! That’s my only excuse! If you stop being angry I’ll tell you how he is. What? You want a report from Yoona?  There’s nothing to report Omma – he’s unconscious and they’ve increased his painkiller dosage. Fine! I’ll tell her.” Joo closes the phone and hurls it at the sofa.

“Now Joo – calm yourself.” Jonghyun tells her.  He was well aware how volatile Joo’s relationship with her mother was. “Your unnie can give her the report.”

“What? I heard my name.” Yoona comes into the suite. “Were you talking about me?”

“The Chairwoman wants you to send her a report on Oppa’s condition. Apparently I’m not qualified to assess my husband’s condition.” Joo stands up and heads for the bathroom. “Excuse me.”

When the door closes Yoona looks at her boyfriend. “What was that all about?”

“Her phone was on silent and her mother’s been calling numerous times. So the Chairwoman calls Guard Park – she was so mad at Joo I could hear her.” Jonghyun explains. “Tell her to come and eat lunch with us.”

Yoona tries knocking and telling Joo to come out and eat.  When Joo fails to respond Yoona bangs on the door. “Come out right now you spoiled Maknae! I’m hungry and Jongie Oppa said we have to wait for you. Open up while I’m still being nice! Maknae!”

“Alright!” Joo opens the door and scowls at her sister. “Just so you know I’m only eating because of Jongie Oppa not you!”

“Who cares?!” Yoona opens the nearest tray and sits on the dining chair. “Oppa come eat!”

“Ah you girls! Are you always like this?” Jonghyun pulls Joo and makes her sit, putting a tray in front of her. “Eat now.”

“Yup – Appa said he didn’t need any more children because we were the worst.” Yoona chews her chicken. “Wasn’t that what he said Maknae?”

“More like Appa said he was cursed” Joo blew on her soup. “Do you like the food?  We can always have it adjusted according to the nutrition department only Yong Oppa gets the regulated diet.”

“This is fine. It doesn’t taste like hospital food at all.” Jonghyun replies. “So what are you doing this afternoon Im Yoona?”

“Just a run down on what we’ll be doing when the patient wakes up. Oh and my report for the Chairwoman.  I will go down to the conference room at 3.” Yoona tells them.

“Yes be sure to give the most complicated medical terms you can find.” Joo huffs and frowns.

“I’ll give her the exact report I will send to the Chief of my department.  Knowing your Omma she’ll have a specialist interpret for her.” Yoon replies. “Well I’ll be preparing myself for my meeting – I’ll be back in 2 hours.”

“Hah – I never win.” Joo sighs. “Well I’ll just get my laptop and work. Jongie Oppa how about you?”

“I have to go to the airport remember? The Maknaes are coming for a week. They want to be here when Hyung wakes up. Good thing you still held on to the hotel suite.”

Just then Joo feels the mobile inside her hoodie vibrating. She also had her Oppa’s phone.

“Oh it’s his brother.” Joo tells Jonghyun.

“Do you want me to speak to him?” Jonghyun offers.

Joo shakes her head and answers the call.

“Hello – yes. The operation went well – about 14 hours. They fixed every ligament and also his joints. On both knees. The doctors said he wouldn’t be needing another operation after this. Uhm – yes your father came to see him. No just your father. It’s –it’s alright I understand. I know they’ll come around. Yes of course I’ll give you a call at this number as soon as he wakes up. I know he’ll want to talk to you. Goodbye then – oh- of course – Ajubeonim. Deh, take care of yourself.” Joo ends the conversation with a smile on her face.

“I told you they would come around.” Jonghyun smiles at Joo.

“What? What did I miss this time?” Yoona comes out of the bathroom. She had fresh make up on and smelled lovely.

“Are you going somewhere?” Jonghyun asks.

“To the meeting.” Yoona replies.

“And it needs this much preparation?” He looks at her from head to foot.

“Why? Only Joo gets to be dolled up all the time?” Yoona scowls. “This isn’t my hospital – I’m a visiting surgeon – I can’t go around in sweats with my hair up and no makeup!” She scowls at him. “I’m leaving now!”

“How did I get into the picture? And I’m not a doll!” Joo exclaims as her sister leaves the suite. Joo turns and sees Jonghyun’s face. He was upset.

“Jongie Oppa – Unnie needs to be presentable to the doctors that she’s working with.” Joo walks to the sofa and sits beside him. “There’s nothing wrong about being pretty. It makes us feel good about ourselves and we want to keep our Oppas from looking somewhere else.”

Jonghyun just shrugs his shoulder and watches TV but Joo could feel his irritation.  Yoona said that her boyfriend never got jealous – ever. But looking at him right now Joo could swear he was jealous. She kept her silence and just peeked at him from the corner of her eye. After a while Jonghyun leaves for the airport with Guard Kang and Joo settles down to work.

“Oppa – what do you think of this?” She stands up and pulls a chair beside the hospital bed. With her laptop – Joo reads a financial report to Yonghwa. “What would be your opinion Oppa?”

She sighs – since they got back together she’d come to rely on her Oppa’s opinion on financial matters. He was always on point – never sugar coating anything – he gave his opinions and viewpoint but never told her what to do because he always maintained that in the end it was her business decision.

Joo leans on the bed and holds Yonghwa’s hand. “I miss you Oppa.”

She must have dozed off because Yoona was calling her name.

“Joohyunah – wake up.”

“Ah – mian I must have –oh.” Joo looks up to see another doctor smiling at her. “I know you.”

“Annyeong hasayo.” His dimples show and he had a very charming smile. Orenmanida Seo Joohyun.”

“Orenmanida Doctor Lee.” Joo smiles and stands up. “I must look frightful – sorry.”

“Oppa – “He tilts his head and smiles again. “You used to call me Oppa.”

“Ah deh.” Joo blushes. Lee Seungi was Yoona’s Sunbae and eventually her boyfriend during university up until he left to the USA.  He wanted to pursue further medical studies and while they did meet afterwards it was now only sunbae-hoobae relationship.

“Well…”

“Seungi Oppa annyeong hasayo.” Joo bows. She’d been very fond of Seungi. He was kind and nice – always taking her out whenever she was in Korea.

“I couldn’t believe it when I saw Yoona yesterday. I’m here for several days as we had a medical conference.” Lee Seungi was a cardiothoracic surgeon based in Texas. “I understand your husband had to undergo microsurgery on his knees.”

“Yes. He’s doing well.” Joo lays a gentle hand on Yonghwa’s chest.

“Maknae – the resident is coming to decrease the painkiller dosage – only by a bit don’t worry.  The doctors got to together and came to an agreement that we would not drastically reduce the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter