Failed surprise

Favourite Friend

 

"Oppa you didn’t tell anyone we are getting there today, right?” Hyoyeon asked Siwon as they settled into their airplane seats.

Goodbyes had been said, hugs shared and more than a few tears shed between Hyoyeon, Siwon and all their friends - amidst promises of visiting each other – and now, the pair were finally on their way back to Seoul.

“Nope, it’s a secret just like you wanted,” he winked at her. “It’s going to be so much fun surprising them,” Hyoyeon giggled and sat back comfortably. ‘Surprising one person in particular!’ She just hoped he wasn’t too mad at her for avoiding him the entire week.

************************************************************************

Monday morning and Hyukjae was still crumpled into a ball in the middle of his bed. He had absolutely no motivation to move… or even be alive. The entire week he had been switching between not wanting to do anything and practising like a maniac. He was pretty sure everyone apart from Junsu and Donghae, was tired of him by now.

It’s not like he wanted to be like this.

He was just worried about his lost best friend.. so worried he hadn’t been able to sleep or eat. She was an impulsive kid who could easily get into all kinds of trouble with the best of intentions – sure, Siwon was there with her.. but would he be able to look out for her as well as he could?

There was another more disturbing thought lurking at the back of his brain.

‘What if.. what if you’re just overreacting and Junsu was right… and she’s found a boyfriend. A real boyfriend.. then she wouldn’t need a boy friend anymore, right?’

“Well if you have then you should at least tell me about it, you silly thoughtless girl. I would be happy for you!” he mumbled to himself.

 

Suddenly the jarring sound of his phone ringing interrupted him. “Hyukkahh~~~”

“Ouch, Lee Donghae do you have to yell into people’s ears?”

“Oh sorry but this is urgent. We have an emergency dance lesson so come to the Office asap.”

“Like right now. N-O-W now!” Jessica chirped from behind Donghae before hanging up.

“Wow they really are a perfect match,” Hyukjae complained before dragging himself out of bed.

 

 

“I’m here!” Hyukjae yelled as he opened the door to the main practise room .. only to find it completely deserted. “What the… did Fishie and Dolphin play a trick on me? They’re so dead when..”

Just then, the door opened behind him but before he could turn around he felt a pair of hands (barely) cover his eyes. The person had to stand on their tip toes to reach him and he could easily turn around and foil their plans..

but he didn’t..

 

he didn’t need to.

He already knew – as soon as the scent of her perfume filled the room – he knew she was back.

 

It was difficult to put into words what went through his heart and mind when he realized this – it was like his insides were bursting in happy little flames – but then he remembered how worried she had gotten him.

“Who is this? This is not funny,” he asked in an annoyed tone.

He heard a tiny gasp and she quickly drew back her hands, “Oppa, it’s me, Hyoyeonnie, I’m back.”

 

“Hyoyeon? I don’t remember a Hyoyeon. I don’t think I’ve spoken to a Hyoyeon in a long time.”

“Yah!” he felt a punch on his arm – at least her strength had stayed the same –  “I just wanted to surprise you. You don’t have to be so mean! Or are you really so unexcited that you won’t even turn around to see me?”

 

All of a sudden, he heard sniffles and automatically turned around. “Kim Hyoyeon are you really crying? I was just kidding.”
Her sniffles had turned into full on sobs now – “Yah wae gurae? Did China make you soft?”

“No you idiot! These are angry tears.. do you know how excited I was to surprise you and how hard I planned and worked to avoid spoiling it. Now, you’ve ruined the moment!” she replied haughtily. Hyukjae grinned – still feisty. Maybe she hadn’t changed at all.

With her tears finally under control, Hyukjae was finally able to focus on the face that he had been yearning to see for the past six months and .. it honestly took his breath away for a minute.

The girl he had seen off at the airport six months ago – yes, the girl – was now a woman. With more feminine delicate features and gulp! soft womanly curves..

‘! Stop what you’re thinking right there, Lee Hyukjae!’

 

 

“Are you so mad that I don’t even get a hug? You know what? Fine! Be like that!” Hyoyeon’s hurt eyes stared at his face that was refusing to meet her eyes before turning on her heel, “ FYI! I didn’t really miss you either! I made so many new friends and had such a good –”

She felt his hand cover hers and then a strong tug that sent her straight into his arms, “Liar! I know you missed me,” he patted her head lightly, “but I missed you way more.”

“You got that right, dummy!” she smiled against his shoulder.

‘You’re in big trouble Lee Hyukjae.. big big trouble." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Short chapter today but I added some HyoHyuk :) hope you like it!