One year later

Favourite Friend

 

September 20, 2001

"I’m late I know! But I swear I ran five blocks to get here as fast as I could.”

The doors flew open and a now brown haired Hyoyeon barged into the dance studio, still in her school uniform, backpack trailing behind her.

“That’s okay. I needed the extra practise,” saying this, Hyukjae turned off the stereo and picked his bag up too. 

“Wait,” her brown eyes looked confused, “aren’t we going to practise?”

“Not today,” he winked mysteriously and taking her by the hand led her out of the building. She followed along curiously swinging their linked arms back and forth like a kid. “Can you give me a hint about where we’re going?”

“Patience little one,” he teased, “just a little further.”

 

Ever since their first meeting, Hyukjae and Hyoyeon’s instant bond had grown stronger through their common interest in dancing and being in the same dance class every day. Their friendship, on any given day, ranged from playful to bickering to cute to competitive but one thing was for certain – there was always laughter and genuine caring for one another.   

 

Hyukjae finally stopped when they arrived at the Han River.

“Sit,” he patted the spot next to him on a bench and she followed.

“Here you go!" 

A white box with a lavender ribbon dropped on her lap. She looked up startled and caught familiar warm brown eyes twinkling at her. 

"Oooh! what's this oppa?" her husky voice almost cracked from excitement.

"ya ya! Go easy, will you? Stop shaking that box like that. You’re going to ruin the cake!” he held her wrists to slow her hands.

“A cake? Why?” She was still lost.

“We’re celebrating,” he said, “did you know this is the day I joined SM last year?”

“Wow really? It feels like I’ve known you forever!”

“You said that last year too!” he teased and she stuck her tongue out as payback while swiping some of the red velvet cupcake icing onto his face.

 

 

“Yum!” she tasted the left over icing, “So we’re celebrating your anniversary. But why’d you bring me all the way here? Oh wait.. don’t tell me! You’re too stingy to buy everyone cake, right?”

Hyukjae smacked Hyoyeon’s forehead lightly, “It’s not just my anniversary stupid! It’s also the first day we met.”

“And you want to celebrate that fact? Does this mean I’m never getting rid of you?” she put on an exasperated face making Hyukjae pout and stand up, “You know what? Forget it!”

Hyoyeon pulled him back “I’m just kidding! You know you’re one of my favourite oppas!”

One of ..? Ok I’m really leaving. Enjoy the cake.”

“Now you’re just acting like a kid! You know you’re my best friend.”

“Really?”

“Duh!” Hyoyeon held the cake to his mouth, “Happy Anniversary oppa! I know you’re going to make it really big soon and I’m glad you joined SM.” He took it and fed her a bite as well, “And Happy Early Birthday Hyoyeonnie, I know that your girls are not going to let me anywhere near your girly celebrations on the real day.” Hyoyeon giggled, “You really thought of that too? Where’s the real Lee Hyukjae and what have you done with him?”

“Ya ya! I can be serious and nice sometimes. You should try it too, brat!”

“Loser!”

“Bully!”

“Idiot!”

 

(from next chapter it will be back to the present with a few flashbacks. there will be more drama i promise so keep reading, and commenting.cheers!)