Real Kris

Dream Guy

My watch beeps. I know I’m going to wake up soon and so does Kris. My watch always beeps before I wake up.

 

“Goodbye” we both said in unison. “Congratulations by the way ___________. Good luck in your graduation later”

 

“Thank you” I said before I open my eyes into reality and switches off my alarm. I sat up straight and take a look at my arm where I’ve been shot. It’s there. The wound. It’s only a tiny scar but it is still visible.

 

I thank God this is winter so we all have to wear the school jacket to school.

 

“Oh God, please help me to go through the day” I prayed and left home, walking to school.

 

I’m at school early. Why? Because we have this graduation rehearsal before the real graduation which will commence in about 2 hours.

 

“_____________” my name was called and I stood up from my seat. There are students whispering, students speaking sarcastically about me and students who actually moke me aloud, not caring about the teachers that are around, as I make my way up to the stage to receive a blank piece of paper as the graduation certificate later.

 

During the real thing, it was different from what it had been in rehearsal. When my name was called up to stage, it was quiet, no one cheered for me, no one claps. I guess it was better than being called names in front of my parents. I don’t want my parents to know about how I do in school, all they know is that I’m still doing academically fine even after my best friend’s death.

 

My colleagues also do not want their parents to know. Not from knowing that I’m such a freak. But from knowing that they are being so mean to me.

 

After every one of us received our graduation certificates, all of us went up to stage and took a photo with the school’s principal.

 

“I can’t believe I have to take a photo next to you” I turned around to my left to see Sulli. I heard what she said but I refuse to reply.

 

The girl on my right whispered to her friend who was on her right “Great, I’m standing beside a murderer” the girl at my back however tapped me on my shoulder.

 

I look at her. “Hey freak. Do you mind changing your place? Your presence here is really ‘killing’ my graduation”

 

“Now now, let’s stay where you are, we will be snapping the picture in 3 seconds” says the photographer of the day. The girl behind me grunt and tidied her hair for the picture. I sighed, turn to face the camera and forced a fake smile.

 

Minutes passed and it was then the time to eat. I was sitting alone while everyone else are crowding the food table, when a man approached me.

 

“Why aren’t you joining the others?” he asked.

 

“Oh, I’m not feeling hungry” I lied, I was starving. I left home early that day, I didn’t even get to eat breakfast and it’s noon now.

 

“Young lady, do you know who I am?” the man asked. I just stared at him for a moment to see if I’ve seen him from somewhere. He does looks familiar but I can’t pinpoint where I’ve seen him before.

 

“Miss ___________, I see you applied to S University last month and went for the interview 3 weeks ago” he said. “I am the dean of the University”

 

I quickly stood up and bowed 90 degrees at him and I apologized for not recognizing him. “It is okay, dear. Your interview was amazing and so are your academics. Do you see a pattern there?” he gave me a smile.

 

“My interview results. They’re also good?” I asked. I’m not sure what to say right now. I see the pattern, but I don’t know how to put it. It’s shocking.

 

“It isn’t good. It’s amazing! You’re in class 1. Surprise?” he’s still smiling. “I will be seeing you in a few weeks” he said and left. I told my parents about the news and they were so proud of me, I feel so happy.

 

It’s already almost a month passed and I’m ready to be a University student in Seoul. I didn’t get hurt in my dreams last night so I’m okay today. I look at myself in the mirror.

 

“Finally you wear something nice without covering everything. The school’s uniform is so cute! We’ve always wanted to attend there together” it was Suzy.

 

“Oh My God, Suzy! You scared me” I really was. “That’s what ghosts do, don’t they?” she gave me a scary smile. “You look normal today. Unlike any other days” she commented.

 

“You were watching me? But how come I didn’t see you before, ever since that dream?”

 

“I didn’t show myself to you because I was mad at you”

 

“Are you not mad at me anymore?”

 

“Oh you hope. I’m still mad. But I just got bored. You’re the only one I can talk to” I pity her. “And I’m also the only one you can talk to. You don’t have friends now after me” apparently, she pities me too.

 

“We’re in the same page now” I replied.

 

“Why aren’t you with Sulli anymore? She keeps saying bad stuff about you to her new friends. And how did she get to be the most popular girl at school? Did people forget about me already?”

 

“Just like you, everyone hates me for killing you. You were the people’s dream and I killed their dreams” my voice fades away.

 

“Serves you right” she crossed her arms together. “But Sulli spreads false rumours around. Do you know that? I know I hate you but I hate false rumours more. They’re so false. What is wrong with Sulli?”

 

“I don’t care about it. There is nothing I could say to make the people listen to a freak like me anyways. Besides, I’m also a liar. How can people trust my words?” I drag my luggage to the front of the house where the taxi is waiting for me.

 

“You have 5 cars at home and yet you’re taking a taxi to your rental home?” Suzy mocked.

 

“Who would look at me anyways? I’d like to stay lay low in University. There is no use in trying to please people now that I’m a weirdo”

 

Suzy’s lips curled. The whole way to my rental home near S University was quiet, Suzy sat beside me the whole time as if she’s human.

 

“You are always an independent girl _______________. It’s good now that you live alone without your parents. Meaning I get to spend a lot of time with you” she smiled.

 

“I thought you hate me”

 

She cleared and rolled her eyes “I told you I get bored not talking to anyone. You’re the only one who can see and hear me” I just nodded and take a look at myself in the mirror one last time and ready to go to school.

 

I walked to my new school which is only 10 minutes apart.

 

It’s orientation day. It’s a day where there is a lot of introductions, lots of icebreaking activities, lots of fun. It’s the day where if you can stand out from lots of people, we will remember you throughout the whole year. It’s the day to decide if you’re a social butterfly or not. It’s the day to see who is the popular kid to look up to.

 

Freshmen are divided into groups consisting of 15 people and 2 seniors will be appointed to take care of us for one week.

 

They should be arriving any second now.

 

“I will be taking care of you from now on” I gasped when I see him. I gasped so loud that he turned to look at me. We stared at each other for seconds. Does he recognize me? He’s Kris. The hottie from my dreams.