The one that got away

Dream Guy

“You’re going out with Kris after school today?”

 

“Yes, Luhan”

 

“Why didn’t you turn him down?”

 

“I couldn’t. I just blurted out answering yes. I really wasn’t thinking” I told my brain to shut up was really what happened.

 

“Okay. So where is he taking you?”

 

“I don’t know. He didn’t tell me. Where do you think he’s going to take me to?”

 

“I don’t know too. You’re going with him on his car right after school?” he asked.

 

“Yeah, I think so. Why?”

 

“Nothing. I’m going to class now. I’ll see you when I see you” he said and left. I just sat there on the rooftop until I finish my orange juice.

 

5 hours later and classes are over. It is time for me to go on a date with Kris. He told me to wait for him at the school gate and that is what I’m doing right now. Waiting for him. I’m really nervous.

 

“Hey _________________”

 

“Luhan!” I was surprised to see him.

 

“I’m just here to look at the girl who is about to be taken away” he said. He must have mean that Kris is going to take me away from him.

 

“What is it to look at?” I blushed.

 

“Just checking to see if you’re okay. Are you okay?”

 

“No. I’m so nervous, I’m actually quite shaky inside” I admitted.

 

“I know how to get rid of that. If you don’t mind following me for a moment. It won’t take long. Kris isn’t here yet anyways” he put on his most convincing look.

 

“I’m not sure” I would feel really guilty if Kris reaches here to find me not waiting for him.

 

“Come on. You do trust me more than you trust Kris right?” he held out his hand to me. I hesitated but I took it eventually.

 

We both got on his car. “Are we going far?” I asked. I feel so troubled.

 

“No. You’ll know what it is when you see it” he said. We arrived to in front of where I’m staying.

 

“What are we doing here?” I’m confused.

 

“This is where you live, correct?”

 

“Yes, but what are we doing here? How do you know my place?”

 

“I checked it from the registry office. It’s really close to the school” he smiled. “And we are here because I’m just sending you back home. That is what friends do”

 

“But what about Kris?”

 

“Don’t worry. He will be fine. I’ll go back to school and tell him you went home. I’ll explain it to him”

 

“But…”

 

“No more buts. Just stay home” he got out from his car and went to open the door for me. “I’ll walk you to your house. For safety measurement”

 

I laughed “My house is in front of us and the door is 10 feet away”

 

“Anything could happen in that distance” he joked. “Which is why I’m going to pick you up from here every morning and send you back home safely after school” he continued.

 

“You don’t have to. Like you said, my house and the school is not that far apart” by now we are standing in front of my door.

 

“_____________, if I think 10 feet is a dangerous space between us then I think from here to school is a scary distance. I feel like it’s my job to take care of you” I couldn’t speak. I don’t know what to reply. What should I reply?

 

“Wow. That’s uhh very nice of you. Are you sure you’re not scaring me off right now than the distance from school to here?” he laughs at my joke. I unlocked my door. “I really feel guilty for ditching Kris. What if he hates me for doing that? I can’t have another person in my life hating on me”

 

There was silence for a moment as I look at Luhan, waiting for his answer. “I told you that I will tell him the reason for you to go home. I’ll make up a lie that you’re not feeling well and asked me to take you home straight”

 

“Thank you Luhan. I owe you one”

 

“It’s okay”

 

“I guess I shouldn’t keep you here any longer. Kris might be looking for me. You have to tell him okay?”

 

“Yes I will. Go in now _______________” he slightly pushed me into my home.

 

“Goodbye then Luhan. I will see you tomorrow” I said.

 

“Don’t forget, I’ll pick you up tomorrow. I will text you when I’m on my way here. Here’s my number” he gave me a piece of paper with his number on it.

 

“Do you always keep a piece of paper with your number on it in your pocket so that you could give it to girls?” I joked.

 

“Only to the pretty ones” he said and I blushed. I tried to hide it but I can feel my cheeks burning hot and by the way Luhan smiled at me, I know he saw me blush at his reply.

 

“Drive safe” I bowed and closed the door quickly.

 

Luhan drove back to school and saw Kris asking people around the gate whether they’ve seen me or not.

 

“Hey Kris. Over here” Luhan was still in his car with his shades on.

 

“What?” Kris came over to Luhan.

 

“I sent her back home. Just so you know. She’s not ready to go out with you yet but she felt really guilty about leaving you here. At first I didn’t want to tell you about this and let you look for her the whole day but I changed my mind”

 

“What made you changed your mind?”

 

“Her. She told me she doesn’t want another person to dislike her. Kris, just one question, are you serious with her or are you just playing around with someone innocent like her?”

 

“I’m serious”

 

“I can’t trust you yet” Luhan drove off.