Why Not?

An Old Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Whenever you feel jealous or angry come to my place, ok?’

                    Changjo’s words echoed in Niel’s head from their little chat.

                    Niel then found himself in front of a cute, homely house. Red bricks, white window frames, floral curtains on either side of the glass and green leaves weaving their way up the front wall of the house. Niel had never imagined Changjo to live in such a sweet place, considering his hot-tempered character but then he remembered that this was his family’s home. He hadn’t moved out yet although he said he couldn’t wait to.

                    Just as Niel’s mind went wondering he spotted a small head in the lower right window of the house. A younger girl, about 5 or 6, with jet black hair and big brown eyes stared at him without moving. Niel didn’t know how long he had been continuing an accidental staring contest so he shook the thoughts out of his head and walked up to the door without another glance at the big eyes that followed him. He paused and rang the doorbell.

                    As he waited for someone to open the door he stepped back and took one more glance at the window where the girl once was but she had disappeared. Niel’s brow furrowed in confusion and he subconsciously brought his slender hand to the back of his head and began playing with the fine hair.

                    He was torn out of his thoughts when the front door was opened, quickly. He saw the little girl from the window standing in the centre of the door frame. Her long black hair fell down her small shoulders and her thick bangs covered her eyebrows which Niel would have guessed to be furrowed to match the rest of her expression. She looked angry, really angry. Her arms were crossed and her lips pouted, even her big, innocent eyes managed to intimidate Niel.

                    “Who are you?” She asked bluntly.

                    “I came to see Changjo-…” Niel began as he came forward towards the girl.

                    “That wasn’t my question.” She snapped.

                    “Subin?” another female voice sounded from further in the house. “What did I tell you about being rude to guests?” The owner of the voice was revealed when an older, smiley, woman appeared, wiping her hands on a cloth. She sent a well-practiced beaming smile at Niel.

                    “I’m guessing you’re a friend of Jonghyun?” She asked him.

                    Niel nodded having forgotten to call Changjo by his real name around his family.

                    “Subin, sweetie, could you go call your brother from his room?” the mother turned towards the young girl and lightly touched her small shoulder.

                    The  small girl whipped her body around to face away from Niel and walked to the bottom of the stairs, “Jonghyun!” she shrieked up the stairs.

                    “What?!” a deeper voice boomed  from above their heads.

                    “Your friend’s here!” She shouted back.

                    Instantly they heard movement from upstairs, doors opening and running footsteps.

                    “Ricky’s here?” Changjo’s feet could be seen now at the top of the stairs. He carried on further, skipping quickly down the stairs excitedly. He stopped when he reached halfway and could see the actual visitor, Niel. His face did not disguise the disappointment he felt. “Oh hey…” Changjo acknowledged Niel with a nod. “You ok?” he asked.

                    Niel didn’t answer but only sent his friend a look telling him that he needed help. Changjo understood and nodded once more, “Come on up.” Changjo said before turned to go back up the stairs.

                    Niel instantly followed, ducking his head from Changjo’s mother and younger sister.

                    “Would you like me to bring some snacks for you and your friend, jagi?” Changjo’s mother asked her son as they left.

             

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter