The Phone.

An Old Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ch-Chunji?…” The weak voice of Niel spoke.

                    “Niel? Is everything ok?” Chunji asked.

 

                    Chunji heard more heavy breathing and the soft sounds of sniffing from the handset.

                    “Niel, What’s happened?” Chunji asked as he stood up from the table and side stepped into the hallway to get away from the bustling noise of the busy dining room. Byunghun, worriedly, followed him and stood in the doorway of the room Chunji had just vacated.

                    “I answered the phone.” Niel said simply. Surprisingly, his voice had managed to level itself out enough to talk clearly through his state.

                    “Oh god, are you ok?” Chunji asked, subconsciously bringing his hand up to his forehead. Byunghun watched with curiosity but could not catch Chunji’s no matter how much he tried.

                    “Not really. I’m sorry, hyung.” Niel said, his voice breaking up into a sob once more.

                    “I can come home but it’ll take a little while.” Chunji said after quickly casting a glance over the old fashioned clock in the hallway “I’ll have to walk.” Chunji closed his eyes tightly in frustration.

                    Byunghun pushed himself off the doorway and took a step towards Chunji to gain his attention, “I can drive you.” He offered.

                    Chunji opened his eyes quickly and they found Byunghun’s face instantly, “Really?”

                    Byunghun sheepishly pushed his slim hands into his jeans pockets, pushing his shoulders up, and nodded.

                    Chunji instantly turned his attention back to the floor as he focused on the phone conversation. “Ok Niel I’ve got a ride. I’ll be there as soon as I can, ok?”

                    “Thank you, hyung” Niel’s sad voice sounded back.

                    Chunji hung up the call with a beep. He then turned back to Byunghun after sighing to himself. “Thanks.”

                    “No problem Byunghun smiled softly.

                    Chunji returned the smile and pushed past Byunghun to go back into the kitchen. Byunghun’s eyes followed him from the doorway. He saw Chunji shuffle awkwardly around the perimeter of the table full of people until he reached his mother. He leaned down to silently whisper in her ear. Her face showed an expression of disappointment but soon changed into one of sweetness and she hugged her son goodbye. As Chunji made his way back towards the door Byunghun saw Chunji’s umma smile and wave at him. Of course, being polite, he smiled and waved back over the length of the table between them

                    Once Chunji got back to the doorway he smiled at Byunghun he smiled at Byunghun, “She said she’d tell your umma where you were.” He explained.

                    “Ah, thanks” Byunghun replied as he followed Chunji towards the front door, out of the house and down the drive.

                    “I didn’t know you could drive.” Chunji said matter-of-factly, “Did you drive here?”

                    “No, umma did, but I passed my test earlier in the year.” Byunghun laughed as he fished a set of car keys out of his pocket.

                    “Really?” Chunji couldn’t hide the surprise from his voice as he let Byunghun lead him to the unknown car.

                    “You sound like you’re having a hard time believing me, Channie.” Byunghun chuckled and clicked the button on the car keys causing a silver car to make a slight bleeping noise and it’s lights to flash.

                    “I just can’t believe you actually

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter