Forever Is Too Long

Forever Is Too Long

Chapter 7

 

“Where is she?” Jaejoong paced up & down the length of the store, turning his hands to the entrance occasionally. Yuri was never late for work. He wondered uneasily if something had happened to her.

 

“Calm down, Jaejoong Oppa. I’m sure she is fine.” Victoria, who was watering some perennials, said in a soothing tone, but she was feeling slightly nervous herself.

 

The sound of wind chimes sounded at the door & Jaejoong’s head whipped up, hoping to see Yuri. Instead, his eyes met with a girl, wearing a scowl. He eyed her suspiciously & was just about to approach her when he heard her call to someone outside, “Let’s go. I don’t want to be here. I will get dirty.”


“But Sulli.” Jaejoong heard her before he saw her. Wouldn’t he recognize that melodious voice anywhere?

 

“You said you wanted to work here.” Yuri stepped into the store & Jaejoong was surprised at her exasperated expression. She was usually so cheerful, except those exceptional times when he had caught her on the verge of tears.

 

“Hi, Jaejoong Oppa. Hi, Victoria.” Yuri called, spotting them. Victoria waved back as Jaejoong strode over to them, a smile on his oval-shaped face in responses to Yuri’s grin.

 

“Good morning, Yuri.”

 

“I’m sorry I was late.” Yuri said apologetically, gasping in pain as Sulli elbowed her in the ribs.

 

Sulli was in a state of shock. She had no idea the boss of everlasting boutique was so cute & young. Jaejoong was certainly looking his best today & his eyes shining brilliantly with relief that Yuri was alright. His muscular body was partly revealed by a half-open white pinstripe easy-care casual button-down shirt, making him look even more desirable, ‘He must also be rich, too. This is even better than those French boys.’ Sulli vowed then & there that he was going to be her boyfriend, “Introduce me!” She hissed to Yuri.

 

“Erm...Oppa, this is my cousin, Choi Sulli. Sulli, this is my boss, Kim Jaejoong.” Yuri said uneasily, unsure of what to do.

 

Jaejoong glanced at her, out of politeness, “Welcome, Sulli-Sshi.”

 

Sulli put on a seductive smile that none of the young men in France could resists & said sweetly, “How do you do, Jaejoong Oppa?”

 

In the back, Victoria snorted with suppressed laughter as both, Jaejoong & Yuri turned to her. Still chuckling, she pointed to the door of the greenhouse & walked towards the exit, though not before mouthing to Jaejoong, ‘Don’t forget to ask her’. Yuri also noticed this abrupt change in Sulli & winced at her obvious flirting attempt.


“Tell him!” Sulli hissed again.

 

“Um...Oppa? Sulli wants to work here.” Yuri started uncertainly but trailed off as Jaejoong’s look of disgusts turned into shock.


“I’m very good with flowers.” Sulli offered, batting her eyelashes, “& I have a great sense of style & color.” Jaejoong’s mind reeled, ‘A like her?! Working with my beloved flowers?’ He shuddered at the very thought, “Um...Sulli-Sshi, I really am not looking to hired anymore employees.” Jaejoong told her straightforwardly. Sulli did her trademark, a pout, “I’m aware you haven’t even read my resume but I assure you, I can do a better job than Yuri here.”

 

Yuri’s eyes widened at this surprises attack, “Sulli!” She whispered angrily.


“Sulli-Sshi.” Jaejoong reasoned, trying to keep his voice calm, although he hated the very thought of anyone treating Yuri like that, “Its not that I don’t want you here. I just don’t need another employee.” “& if I did, I wouldn’t hired a like you.” He added silently.

 

Sulli smiled but the smile was empty, “Call me if you change your mind.” She said breathily, “This is my cell phone number.” She shoved a piece of paper into Jaejoong’s hands, making sure their hands touched in the process, “I’m sure I will see you around, Oppa.” The girl walked towards the door, bending over a plant on her way to show off her long legs.

 

Jaejoong crumpled up the paper spitefully behind Sulli’s back & with an aim, trained from shooting, tossed it into the garbage can. He made a face.

 

“I’m sorry, Oppa.” Yuri said tentatively, half expecting Jaejoong to yell at her. After all, that’s what everybody else in the world did.

 

Jaejoong turned to her, “That’s alright.” Yuri was surprised at the tenderness in his voice, “I have met people like her.”

 

Did he know his voice just dropped several octaves? The effect was very, very y. Yuri found herself blushing hotly under his gaze & yelled at herself to stop being so ridiculous, “Uh, Oppa.” She bit her glossy pink lips, “I’m going to the greenhouse.” She laughed a bit nervously, the sound coming out as a nervous titter. What Yuri really wanted was some distance between them.


“Wait. Yuri.” Jaejoong reached out to grab her hand. He paused nervously as Yuri tried unsuccessfully to withdraw the hand, “Er…I was wondering...uh, I’m taking a day off tomorrow & I was wondering if you wanted to come to the beach with me.” Jaejoong finished in a rush of strung together words, ‘Remember, Jaejoong. Relax.’ Changmin had told him the night before. Right now, he felt anything but relaxed. He breathed in deeply, wondering where all the oxygen had gone to. There had been plenty not minutes ago.

 

‘Say no, no, no!’ Yuri thought frantically, the volume increasing in her mind, “Uh...is anyone else coming along?” She stammered, stalling for more time.


“Yeah, Changmin & Victoria are planning to go, too.” Jaejoong said earnestly.

 

Yuri hesitated, ‘If Changmin & Victoria are going, it should be fine. It can’t be considered a date. No, Oppa will be there.’

 

“No! I can’t! I won’t! Why do you have to do this to me?!” She cried out loud miserably.


“Do what?” Jaejoong flinched as if he had been physically struck, confused & hurt by Yuri’s distressed outburst.


“I...I.” Yuri couldn’t say it. Not when she saw Jaejoong’s pained expression & felt as if a thousands of knives were stabbing her in the heart, ‘Its only one day. One day of fun.’

 

“I’m sorry, Oppa.” She said repentantly, looking straight into Jaejoong’s puzzled eyes, “Forgive me? I don’t know what got into me. Of course, I will be glad to come along.” She felt a lot better as the light came back into Jaejoong’s eyes.

 

“Thanks, Yuri.” He said simply, but feeling his heart soar when he realized how sincere she was being. He decided to ignore the earlier outburst, “I will call you tonight for the details.”


‘Call me?’ Yuri frowned, ‘He has my number?’ Before last night, she hadn’t even noticed how much she had been interacting with Jaejoong. It had only felt natural. So natural that she didn’t even pay attention to it, ‘Good job, Yuri.’ She told herself sarcastically, ‘How are you going to get out of this mess?’