Forever Is Too Long

Forever Is Too Long

Chapter 17

 

The sun dipped lower & lower in the sky & with it, taking away morsel by morsel the rich, colourful light. Slowly, the light ebbed away from the huge mansion, turning it from a warm, tinted white, into a cold, chilly grey. It stole silently away from the sole occupant of the house, standing so still on the grand balcony, it wouldn’t have been hard to mistaken him to be made out of the same hard marble as the mansion itself.

 

Ever since she left to take her final place in heaven, Kim Jaejoong hadn’t moved a muscle. No words escaped from his lips & his eyes were fixed on the last spot he had heard her fading voice. Only the slight rise & fall of his chest suggested he was still alive.

 

Jaejoong stared at the sky which had now turned into a velvety, royal blue, his eyes resting on the spot where Yuri’s last benediction had been heard, trying his best to make his final moment with her last as long as he could. He was oblivious to the setting sun as finally, the tip of the glowing sphere vanished beyond the horizon, wrapping the world in the dark shade of early twilight. The fading pink lingered at the edge of the distant water before surrendering to the subtle darkness of night.

 

“I love you, too.” Her voice echoed again, & again, in his head, each as strong as the last. A faint, white star appeared, pinpointed the exact spot where Jaejoong was staring at so intently. Now that the sun was gone, an icy wind whipped around him, the coldness slowly seeping into his body as Jaejoong stood there, motionless, watching.

 

“Jaejoong Oppa, together, forever, never vanish, promise me, I love you.” Everything Yuri had said not an hour ago coursed through his mind, blurring together into something incoherent & un-comprehendible. That faint star was getting brighter & brighter, outshining all the other stars in its dominance over the inky sky. It now hurts to look at it but still he stared, refusing to look away, blinking only when he felt tears press against the corner of his eyes, “Let me go. I have missed you, love you forever, reached your end.”

 

The start was blinding but still kept getting brighter & brighter. Hot, white light blazed in front of his eyes, more dazzling than any object possible, “I love you too, Oppa. I love you, too.” Tears were now spilling down his cheeks but his eyes still remained glued to the same spot. It was now impossible to look away as Jaejoong stood there, outwardly looking perfectly calm, letting this phenomenon wash over him. The light obscured his sight but he could feel it press in around him, enveloping him. A fast, howling wind speed around him, causing misty mirages to form in front of his eyes.

 

Black spots appeared in front of his eyes, getting larger & larger until it drowned out the vivid light. Jaejoong could see nothing through the blackness that came with the white light. Nothing. It felt like falling down an abyss but he hardly stirred from his trance, eyes still wide open & staring.

 

When the blackness finally began to recede, Jaejoong found himself in a familiar surrounding. White fog pulsated around him but it was no longer hot & blazing. Soft, billowing clouds of vapour his body as he stood there. There was nothing else, only fog. Below, around & above. The god began to swirl enticingly, creating bits of earthy tones that brought Jaejoong back to his senses.

 

Breathing in huge, shuddering gasps, filling his lungs with needed air, he wrenched his eyes away from that sole spot he had been staring at, moving for the first time in hours. He began to pace unconsciously on what appeared to be a void of nothing, twitching as every breath of air caressed his face.

 

So, it all came down to this.

 

“Welcome, my child.” The voice caused Jaejoong, who was already keyed up, to jump. It wasn’t the deep, feminine voice that Jaejoong had grown accustomed to but an even deeper, rich, rumbling tenor voice that filled every particle of air, so it seemed to be coming from all directions. It to, had never been meant for mortal ears & Jaejoong clenched his teeth together to keep the sound from tearing into his body.

 

When he didn’t speak, the masculine voice came again, “I have waited long, too long for this moment.” The voice now sounded fatherly, the pitch dropping several more tones until Jaejoong’s very bones shook with each reverberation, “You have spent too long on this quest to reach your destination.”


“My...My what?” Jaejoong summoned shakily, his voice coming out in a hoarse croak. His brain felt like lead, the voice reaching his mind through the extremely dense fog that existed there.

 

“Your quest in search for your true love.” The male voice repeated patiently, with a subtle hint of amusement. His true love, the quest for mortality, a stunning girl that had taken over his senses from the day they met, a powerful, eternal love that had blossomed & kept them together across the ocean of death, his guardian angel, his Yuri, “You mean I...she...we broke?” Jaejoong stammered, not daring to believe it.


“She broke the spell, Jaejoong. You have found it in your heart to love another, to touch her with your love, to make her love you in return. Never giving up, not even when the closing doors of death parted you. Your quest is indeed over, my child.”

 

Jaejoong heard but he didn’t dare believe it. He had finally accepted his immortality, letting Yuri go with his love, vowing to never love anyone else, “But...But she died! It doesn’t work! It won’t!” He cried, determined to find a loophole in this cruel joke.

 

“I said it, she said it & you said it yourself. Love cannot be stopped by death, child. She still lives.” Jaejoong felt a force pressing against his ribs, “Right there in your heart. She’s secured her place there forever. If that is not true love then what is?” Now, the voice was definitely smiling, warming Jaejoong & enabling him to finally believe the truth. The warmth spread from the light pressure in his heart, flowed through his veins & reached every part of his body as the enchantment ebbed swiftly away.


“You have now accepted mortality, Jaejoong.” The voice was now stern & more business-like, “Do not play with your mortal life. It is not a thing to be wasted. It is precious, to be treated with care, not filled with hate or jealousy, do you understand?”

 

It was almost as if the powerful voice was reading Jaejoong’s mind. Mortality, a chance to be in heaven with Yuri soon. This dream was washed away by the voice’s demanding tones. He wasn’t about to lose his last chance to be with his Yuri. Their reunion could wait until it was his time to go.

 

Suddenly, an inspiration hit him, “Can I ask something?”

 

The voice sighed, “I’m sorry, Jaejoong. I cannot bring her back. She is already a part of my kingdom, it is too late.”

 

Jaejoong felt an unreasonable surge of anger, “Too late? But you can control the world. Why can’t you…?” “That is what fate planned. I do not mess with her. I cannot change what is written in the stars.” The voice was now cold & hard, indicating the matter was closed, “Now, I think it’s high time for you to return. A living body cannot sustain too long in this realm. Remember, treasure what you have.”

 

“Wait!” Jaejoong cried, but the white fog had already begun to swirl. As he stood there, he suddenly saw a glimpsed of two hazy, white figures, standing at the corner of his vision. The female was slightly shorter but her long, shiny hair reached the ground, pooling around both pair of feet. Jaejoong could feel the piercing gaze of the male staring straight at him. He couldn’t tell much about them for they seemed to only be half-sculpted from the fog. As the clouds swam faster & faster around him, both figures raised their hands in farewell & although, he couldn’t see it, he could feel both of them smiling.

 

Jaejoong opened his eyes & there he still was, in the same spot, as though he had never left. Every inch about his new mortal body felt weak & exhausted but apart from that, he couldn’t feel much of a difference but it meant everything in the world.

 

His lips curving into a smile, he turned towards the heavens again, towards the tiny spark of two dim, intertwining stars, the place he had been staring so intently at not so long ago.

 

“Yuri, wait for me. I will be there. Yes, one day, I will be there.”

 

“There you are, sir.” The tall, beefy man unloaded the last of the flowers onto the wooden cart, wiping beads of sweat off of his forehead with the sleeve of his shirt, “You will just need to sign this, sir.” The man held out a clipboard & a black ballpoint pen.


“Thanks, Bae.” Jaejoong took the pen & scrawled his credit card number & his signature at the bottom of the page. He too, wiped the vestiges of perspiration away from his face, running a hand through his moist short brownish black hair. It was scorching outside & the sun was beating down fiercely & without mercy.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Kim.”

 

Jaejoong waved as Bae clambered into his truck & drove out of the parking lot, clearly desperate to get somewhere shady & cooler, preferably somewhere with air-conditioning.

 

He turned to his cartload of flowers. Out of each crate & tray tumbled yellow roses & purple lilies. Other assorted flowers dotted the mass of yellow & purple, the perfect colour arrangement for a summer wedding. Jaejoong had initially offered to get roses, nothing but the best for his best friends but Victoria had adamantly refused the fancy flowers, insisting on something simple but sweet. There was one sole bouquet of purple & white rosebuds for the happy, bride-to-be to carry down the aisle in three days time.

 

Jaejoong sighed, inhaling the fragrance of the blossoming flowers. He was truly glad that Changmin & Victora were finally getting married, of course, but his heart was heavy as he realized he would never get a chance to meet his bride at the alter. The next time they would meet face to face would be at the gates of heaven.

 

“Hey, man. Need some help with those?” Changmin’s cheerful voice snapped Jaejoong out of his reverie as he turned to see the tall man & his wife-to-be strolling towards him. He smiled to see them, arm in arm & the bright smile on Victoria’s soft features warmed his heart.


“No, I will live.” He grinned as Changmin playfully reached out to punch him.

 

Victoria ‘Oohed’ & ‘Aahed’ appropriately over the freshly delivered flowers. She was already wearing that sweet, bridal look on her demure oval-shaped face & it glowed as she smiled at Changmin, pointing to the blossoms delightedly. Jaejoong felt as pleased as a child at Victoria’s pleasure over his final choices.

 

“So, we are heading to cafe j holic.” Changmin resumed, as the chorus of appreciation died down.

 

“Want to come along?” He gestured in the vague direction of the coffee shop before planting a kiss on his wife-to-be’s black short hair.

 

Jaejoong glanced at his relic allen stainless steel black ion watch, shook his head & laughed. It had taken him a long time to learn to laugh again, but he had finally healed, with the help & constant support of his two best friends.


“Its not even nine yet!” He pretended to scold, “You got here only fifty minutes ago!” It wasn’t that he minded, especially. He had even given Victoria the week off to spend some quality time with her fiance but for some reason, both of them had ended up spending their time mulling around Jaejoong’s shop. Whatever the reason is, Jaejoong was grateful for their cheerful company.

 

Changmin made a face while Victoria poked her boss playfully in the arm, “We will bring you back something then, alright?”

 

With a resigned look on his face, Jaejoong nodded. He watched as the couple got into Changmin’s car & drove off.

 

‘It has to be luck.’ Jaejoong thought, ‘That gave me such great friends.’ Both had always been there for him in the last few months, giving him that extra shoulder to lean on when he needed it. They were so close that he could hardly turn & not tread on their feet. Jaejoong remembered that moment a few weeks ago when he had finally confessed he had been immortal. To his astonishment, Changmin hadn’t looked remotely surprised.

 

“Like I said before.” He had chuckled, “You are a very bad liar. I always figured something was up & knew you would tell us eventually in your own, good, sweet time.”

 

Jaejoong turned with a contented sigh & glanced at his watch again. Eight minutes before the official work time. He pushed the cartload of flowers into the cool interior of his store, glad to be out of the scorching heat. Like one fascinated, he looked at his watch once again. Three more seconds. Two, one, nine o’clock exactly. Expectantly, a soft gust of wind forced open the door, causing the fairy wind chimes to quiver in harmonious music. Through the open door, Jaejoong heard the faint but distinct laugh that he had heard every single day, rain or shine, for the past few months.

 

The sounds of the exquisite, innocent laughter blended in perfect cadence with his chimes. It rang sweetly in his ear, exulting him until he was drunk with the melodious sound & then, a few seconds later, the door shut, the breeze stopped & the laughter faded away slowly. His tinkling wind chimes also died down, without the wind that give it life.


“Still always punctual.” Jaejoong smiled ruefully. His smile grew soft & wistful as he stared out of the door at the softly painted sky where the rays of bright sunshine stole into the dim store. It stayed there, held together by the fragrant essence of the room, bathing Jaejoong in a flood of glittering light.


“Each & every day, the wind echoes with your laughter, counting down the days until we reunite again. Yuri, I will be there.”

 

A/N: so, what do you guys think about the ending for this one? good? bad? okay? i don't know? hahaha, i will take whatever comment you guys throw at me & make my stories better in the future ^^

now, before i forget, ahahaha, THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WONDERFUL READERS, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!! <3

to some of you read who don't really get this storyline, its all about jaejoong's life since i'm sure you guys must be thinking its about jaejoong & yuri but its only about jaejoong & jaejoong only.

as you guys know, jaejoong was supposed to die when bitna's, jaejoong's ex-fiance, father shot him but instead of leaving the world to go up to heaven, he was sent back on earth with a spell cast on him by the gods to make him immortal until he learns & find a true love instead of having so many hatred & jealousy in his heart. in the end, he meets yuri as everyone knows, fell in love & then yuri dies from aids. in the end, yuri's & jaejoong's love for each other broke the spell cast on jaejoong to make him mortal so yeah, hahaha

last & not least, WHO'S READY FOR ANOTHER JAERI FANFIC?! :P