Untitled

Shorts

Note: I've been trying really hard to come up with titles for these stories, but I couldn't think of anything for this one. I was planning on going in a different direction with this, like with most of my stuff, and then I wrote the first sentence and put it aside because I lost inspiration. Initially, this was supposed to be platonic, just a business relationship, but then I figured why not. Okay, I'm done talking now.

 

Pairing: Sunggyu/Sungyeol

Prompt: Editor & Writer

 

 

"Hello," Sunggyu calls into the darkened apartment. He waits at the threshold for an answer, wondering idly about the distance from this apartment building to the nearest train station. If he leaves in the next ten minutes he'll probably make it just in time.

He'd heard that Lee Sungyeol was rather unpredictable. That his past editors had trouble keeping up with him and his mood swings. But since he's also one of the company's bestselling authors Sunggyu hopes those rumors are just exaggerated. Especially for his sake considering that he's now this guy's editor.

Against his better judgement (who leaves their door unlocked?), Sunggyu enters the apartment. The light spilling in from the hallway barely reaches into the room. Sunggyu feels along the wall until his hand hits a light switch. When the lights turn on he finds that he's standing in the author's living room. It's sparsely decorated, but with a great view of the city. It's underwhelming, in a way, considering the rumors.

Sunggyu wanders to the kitchen, momentarily forgetting his reason for being there. This room is bit more on par with the image he has of Lee Sungyeol. A sink full of dishes, countertops littered with food wrappers, a nearly empty fridge. He almost pees his pants when he closes the fridge door and sees a tall man standing behind it. The dark circles under his eyes and his disheveled state tell Sunggyu that this must be the writer he was looking for. He's much younger than the shorter man had expected. (As much as he's heard about the other, he's never actually seen what he looks like.)

"Who are you?" The fact that he sounds more confused than angry helps calm Sunggyu's erratically beating heart.

The editor wipes his sweaty hand on his pants before extending it. "I'm Kim Sunggyu, your new editor." When Sungyeol only stares at him he continues. "I know we're not officially set to meet until tomorrow, but I wanted come and introduce myself personally because, uh, well, this is my first time actually getting to edit and I wanted to make a good first impression, but I probably just look like a psycho, just waltzing through your door--which was unlocked, by the way--and then going through your stuff--I swear that's not a habit of mine, I was just--"

Sunggyu's words are cut short by Sungyeol's hand covering his mouth. He looks up at the author, his small eyes double their size in his surprise.
"Uh, sorry," Sungyeol says as he moves his hand from Sunggyu's face and lets his arm fall back down to his side. "There were a lot of words coming out of you at once. Um, I'm Sungyeol, but you already know that." He gives a small smile and Sunggyu has enough presence of mind to return it.

In the silence that follows, the author looks around the kitchen as if seeing it for the first time. He clears his throat before saying with a laugh, "As you can see, there's a reason why I'm a writer instead of a housewife. I swear it's not like this all the time."

"Just when you're writing," Sunggyu supplies for him.

Sungyeol nods, the small smile back on his face. "Speaking of writing, since you're here do you think I could run a couple of ideas by you?"

Thoughts of trains and getting home before midnight flit through the editor's head. He only intended to introduce himself (and maybe see what he was getting himself into). But Sungyeol seems nothing like the rumors made him out to be. And this is what he's been waiting to do for the past three years since he was hired. Sunggyu nods to himself as he makes up his mind, but then remembers there's another person in the room and they're supposed to be having a conversation. "Uh, sure, that's--um, I'd really like to hear what you have to say."

If Sungyeol notices the awkwardness Sunggyu can feel oozing off of himself, he doesn't say anything. He only smiles wider, showing more gums than teeth, before turning away from the editor (his editor).

Sunggyu stares after him, his mind still stuck on the blinding brightness of the author's smile. He suspects the spark of excitement in his chest might be from something other than his job. Maybe the new job title will prove to be more beneficial than he first thought.