Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

Shorts

Note: I can’t believe I haven’t updated this since last year. I’ll try to write more for this soon. Maybe. So I’ve wanted to write meteorologist!Myungsoo since I watched Jealousy Incarnate because to me that job seems to fit him somehow. I was going to go about it in a different way, but then I saw this prompt and this happened. I need to stop saying I’ll expand on my drabbles because it’s taking me too long to actually do it. I would like to write more for this, though.

 

 

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

Pairing: Myungsoo/Sunggyu

Prompt: news anchor & meteorologist

 

 

"We've talked about this, Sungyeol," Sunggyu sighs for what feels like the hundredth time. The smile he sends the receptionist falls immediately once he turns toward the elevators. "I can't mention your restaurant on a broadcast unless something happens there." He rolls his eyes at Sungyeol's response as he reaches out to press the up button for the elevator. "I don't care if customers get to see your face all day. That's not news. Look, I'm getting on the elevator now. I'll call you later." Sunggyu ends the call before his friend can raise his blood pressure any more. It's hard to believe he's been friends with Sungyeol for over ten years when Sunggyu spends most of his time wishing he didn't know the other man.

The elevator is thankfully empty when it opens and Sunggyu wastes no time getting on and hitting his floor number. As the doors start to close, an arm suddenly appears in the narrow space, causing the doors to open again. The annoyed look Sunggyu starts to shoot whoever interrupted his peaceful ride up to his desk freezes on his face once he recognizes who it is. He becomes incredibly interested in his shoes to avoid meeting eyes with the one person capable of making him nervous. (After his mother, that is.)

The first time Sunggyu saw Kim Myungsoo was on his mother's TV. He'd gone down to visit her and she'd had the local news on. As he'd been about to change the channel the weather report had come up. Myungsoo's smiling face had recited a forecast that Sunggyu still doesn't remember and it had been love at first sight. (He hates the cliché, but it's unfortunately true.) He'd been equally thrilled and terrified when he'd learned that the weatherman would be transferring to his station.

Their first face-to-face meeting isn't a memory Sunggyu likes to think about. He'd made a fool of himself not just in front of Myungsoo, but also a few of his seniors. His reputation might’ve recovered, but he doesn’t think his ego ever will.

"Announcer Kim?"

Sunggyu doesn’t realize he’s being addressed until he feels a light touch on his shoulder. When he looks up (because of course the other is handsome and tall), he finds Myungsoo’s strong gaze fixed on him. Feeling very literally tongue-tied, Sunggyu can only raise his eyebrows in question.

"I-I said I watched that report you did yesterday," Myungsoo replies. His hand is still resting on Sunggyu's shoulder, but the other man doesn't see the need to point it out.

"Ah, yeah..." Sunggyu ducks his head in embarrassment. If it was anyone else he wouldn't hesitate to start ranting (he's been told that what he does best). With Kim Myungsoo, though, it's a different story. The meteorologist fills his stomach with butterflies and his head with childish daydreams; both of which Sunggyu is way too old for.

Myungsoo's hand slips from his shoulder as the elevator comes to a stop on Sunggyu's floor. The smile on his face shows off his trademark dimples. "I liked it. They should let you do more stories like that."

Sunggyu mumbles out a thank you before rushing out of the elevator. He's not used to feeling so shy around someone he likes. He's usually more confident and proactive. Sungyeol would say this is a good thing—he's always going on about how Sunggyu needs someone who'll take him down a few pegs. Sunggyu just wishes he could talk to Myungsoo without looking or sounding like an idiot.

He doesn’t get very far away from the elevator before Myungsoo calls out to him. The weatherman is standing in front of the doors, keeping them open, and if Sunggyu didn’t know any better he’d think the other was nervous. "Um, I’ll see you around, then," Myungsoo asks. Not only must Sunggyu’s eyes be playing tricks on him, but his ears must be as well. Because Myungsoo actually sounds hopeful. But that can’t be right.

"Y-yeah," Sunggyu assures him. I really hope so, he thinks to himself. Even though they haven’t done any broadcasts together, there’s no doubt they’ll run into each other again at some point. And with Sunggyu’s luck it’ll probably be before the end of the day.