Don't You Know Who I Think I Am?

Shorts

Note: Does anyone know who I stole that title from? When I first started writing this I had Donggyu in mind, but for some reason Wooyeol wormed their way into it (I blame High School: Love On). The ending is a bit rushed, but that's mostly because I really wanted to post something and this was the one of the few things that was close to being finished. So, yeah, happy reading~

 

Don't You Know Who I Think I Am?

Pairing: Sungyeol/Woohyun

Prompt: Mistaken Identity

 

 

"I'm so sorry I'm late!"
 

A man, out of breath and wide-eyed, drops himself into the seat in the booth across from Woohyun. The latter looks up from the little notebook he'd been scribbling song lyrics into. He takes in the sight of the stranger: red plaid shirt with the sleeves pushed up, side-parted dark hair, a handsome face. Woohyun wonders if Dongwoo is secretly a psychic. (Okay, maybe he hadn't predicted this specific guy would appear, but there has to be more than coincidence at work if a gorgeous person shows up only moments after his friend suggests that Woohyun might be inspired to write about love if he actually experienced it.)
 

"You wouldn't believe the day I've had," the guy continues, oblivious to Woohyun's stunned silence. "Every time I thought it couldn't get worse, it did. It's like the universe has it out for me today."
 

Woohyun just stares at the stranger. He's pretty sure he's never met him before. He would definitely remember  that face.
 

"Oh, gosh. I haven't even properly introduced myself, have I?" The guy looks at Woohyun as if he's finally seeing him. He extends a hand across the table and smiles. "I'm Sungyeol. It's nice to finally meet you. Sorry for talking about myself so much."
 

"Um, I'm Woohyun." He shakes the other's hand hesitantly. He still isn't sure what's going on. But he's starting to think the guy might be mistaking him for someone else.
 

Sungyeol's grip tightens. "Woohyun," he asks, his brow furrowed in confusion. "I thought--just a second." He releases Woohyun's hand and reaches into his pocket. Pulling out his phone, he taps on it a couple times before making a distressed sound. He looks up at Woohyun and then back down to his phone. "Oh my God. It got worse."
 

Woohyun finds himself smiling slightly; his brain finally choosing amusement as his reaction. There seems to be something incredibly cute about the look of horror on the other guy's face.
 

"I'm sorry. I thought you were someone else. So, yeah, I'm just gonna go crawl under a rock somewhere." Sungyeol stands up, making to leave, and Woohyun is almost too distracted by long thighs hugged by tight black jeans to stop him from walking out of the restaurant.
 

"Wait." Woohyun stands up and reaches for Sungyeol's arm even though the other hasn't gotten further than two steps. He lets his arm fall back to his side when Sungyeol silently turns to face him. (Woohyun has to look up to meet his gaze, but he finds that doesn't chafe his ego like it normally would.) Underneath the panic written all over his face, there's also curiosity. Woohyun takes that as a good sign. "You don't have to go." He doesn't know why he's asking this complete stranger to stay. (Well, maybe he does know and all of those reasons are standing in front of him right now, eyebrows raised in surprise.) "You're already here," he finishes lamely. He sounds like an idiot. This might have been a bad idea.
 

Sungyeol stares at him for another moment before slipping back into the booth. He looks up at Woohyun silently, expectantly. Woohyun settles back into his seat just as quietly and they stare at each other for a bit. Without the confusion and obliviousness, the air between them is just full of awkwardness.
 

Sungyeol's smile had been nothing short of perfect and Woohyun wants to see it again. So he tries to push aside their shared weirdness and start a conversation. "Why don't you tell me about how the universe is conspiring against you?"