Private Eyes

Shorts

Note: This is one of the few stories that I managed to finish really quickly, which makes me kinda proud. At first I was going to write two different stories (one myungyeol and one woogyu) for this prompt, but then this popped into my head and I decided just this was good enough. I actually feel like this could be a long chaptered thing where they go on an adventure to solve the case, but I'm not so good at plot, so this will have to do for now. If ever I do attempt to expand this, you can think of this as the prologue or backstory. (I make no promises, though.) That's all for now.

 

Private Eyes

Pairing: Sunggyu/Sungjong (platonic)

Prompt: Private detective and client

 

"Are you even old enough to be in here?"


To his credit, Sungjong doesn't even flinch. Instead he keeps his eyes on the man and woman sitting in a dim corner on the other side of the bar. The large mirror behind the shelves of booze allow him to look without being obvious. As he goes to take a sip of his lemon drop martini, the drink is plucked from his hand. He finally turns to glare at the man next to him.


Kim Sunggyu might just be the worst client he's ever had. He's been following Sungjong around all night, taking notes (a little too verbally in Sungjong's opinion) of how the detective does his job and supplying unwanted "constructive" crticism.


"Drinking on the job, too," Sunggyu tsks as he takes a small sip from the glass. He smiles at the taste before taking a big gulp.


"Why bother hiring me if you were planning on doing it yourself?" Sungjong just barely remembers to continue watching the pair at the table. He also makes a mental note to tell Howon not to recommend him to anyone else. As helpful as word-of-mouth is for business, he doesn't need the added stress of clients who don't trust him to do his job.


"I'm just making sure," Sunggyu replies. He downs the last of the martini and Sungjong bites back the whine threatening to come out. He didn't even have a sip of it. "A friend of a friend doesn't mean much when it's Howon."


Sungjong stays quiet, eyes back on the mirror, because the guy does have a point. He goes back to actually doing his job, ignoring Sunggyu who's flagging down to bartender for another lemon drop martini. He continues to watch as the man and woman slowly move closer to each other, looking less like acquaintances and more like careful lovers. His camera is out and ready while also inconspicuous. He snaps a few pictures of the two leaning closer and closer until finally their lips meet. The kiss is short and sweet and not really the kind people sneaking around share in public. He takes a couple more pictures when they part and go back to talking before tucking his camera back into his jacket pocket.


"This isn't nearly as exciting as I thought it would be."


Sungjong groans, having forgotten the other was still there. "That's why you don't need to be here," he sighs. Why did he even say yes to this guy?


"Not for something like this, I guess." Sunggyu drains the rest of his second martini and slides the glass out of the way of the small envelope he pulls from his pocket. "This is just a warm-up."


Sungjong stares blankly at the other for a moment. "What the hell are you talking about," he asks bluntly. The envelope is slid in front of him in answer. He watches Sunggyu out of the corner of his eye as he slowly looks inside. He only finds a single sheet of paper inside, the words on it of no consequence to him. He turns fully towards his client.


"This is the real reason I hired you," Sunggyu explains with a wave of his hand at the paper.


Sungjong glances at the couple through the mirror only to find that they've already left. It's obvious they weren't very important to begin with, so he doesn't waste his breath bringing them up. "And what exactly am I supposed to do with this?" He's fairly sure he can just walk away if he's not interested. After all, this wasn't part of their agreement. But a part of him feels like he will definitely be interested. A majority of his cases tend to involve people who don't know how to end their relationships any other way besides adultery. That gets boring quickly for Sungjong. Whatever Sunggyu plans on requesting of him must be much more worthwhile than what he'd originally hired Sungjong for.


"I'm glad you asked," Sunggyu says as he signals the bartender for two more lemon drop martinis.