You Know Me Better

Shorts

Note: This is what I do when I should be working on other things. I had started this a while ago, but got stuck and now that I'm stuck on that new chaptered story I'm writing I came back to this. They're just friends in this one although I could have made them more than that. It's not that long but it's still longer than I thought it would be. I should re-read this, but I'm going to trust that I got everything right.

 

 

You Know Me Better

Pairing: Hoya/Sungjong

Prompt: hair stylist/make-up artist & actor/model

 

 

"Is Lee Howon actually nervous?"

Howon opens his eyes slowly. There's a fog of hairspray around him that he's grown accustomed to. He looks at his reflection first in the salon mirror, mostly for reassurance that he really is there preparing for the biggest night of his life. Then his gaze travels up to the man behind him. He's known Sungjong for the three years his career has been steadily blossoming. When they first met Howon had thought Sungjong was a rookie actor like himself or possibly a model what with his sharp jawline and impressive height. But to Howon's surprise Sungjong turned out to be the one behind the salon chair rather than in it.

It hadn't taken long for them to grow close. They were both newbies in their respective fields and it seemed natural to form a camaraderie because of that. They had given each other support and encouragement as well as tough love when necessary. Now, Howon wouldn't hesitate to call Sungjong one of his closest friends.

"It's been known to happen," he replies coolly. His voice is the only part of him that's calm, though. Despite his best efforts, his leg hasn't stopped bouncing since he sat down. His mind and hands are restless. All of the voices in the room talking at once is like the annoying buzz of a fly right by his ear. The only thing keeping him from pacing the floor or just leaving entirely is the feeling of Sungjong's hands in his hair. It's familiar and comforting to have the younger man's delicate fingers combing through his hair in a deliberately slow rhythm. (Sungjong may already be done styling his hair, but Howon hasn't been paying enough attention to actually know.)

"Is it because you don't think you're going to win?" The blunt way Sungjong asks the question is expected. The younger man tends to be matter-of-fact about most things. It's a welcome trait in a friend for Howon when he wants an unbiased opinion.

Howon takes a second to think of how to answer. His eyes rake over his immaculate tuxedo and carefully coiffed hair. He'd opted for a natural look with his makeup, wanting to show as much of his real self as possible. "I don't really expect to win." He looks back up at Sungjong. The other's soft gaze meets his through the mirror. "I just want tonight to be perfect."

"It could still be perfect even if you don't win."

"I know that." Sungjong raises an eyebrow at Howon through the mirror. "I do," he insists. Howon is a perfectionist. He works himself to the bone (almost literally) to make sure everything he does satisfies his high standards. Sungjong says he pushes himself too much; that he'll push too far one day. But Howon doesn't think he'll break so easily. He's confident he won't. Despite that, Sungjong never wastes an opportunity to force Howon to take it easy. (Howon supposes he should be grateful for his friend's concern.)

Sungjong's hands leave Howon's hair to rest on his shoulders. "I know I've said this a hundred times before," he starts, his voice even with the slightest hint of admonition. "But it doesn't seem like I've gotten through to you yet, so I'll say it again." He bends down until his face is right next to Howon's and holds his gaze. "There's no such thing as perfect. It's okay to be good enough. Just the fact that you were invited, that you were nominated for the first time in your career, that's worth celebrating. You should be proud that you've made it this far. If you win, it shows that everyone recognizes your hard work, but not winning doesn't necessarily prove the opposite. It doesn't mean that no one thinks you've done well."

"It just means that someone else was better."

Sungjong tightens his grip on Howon's shoulders and his eyes flash dangerously. Howon winces slightly, but doesn't look away from Sungjong. "Not everything is a competition and not every competition means something," Sungjong says. Howon is competitive by nature. And he likes to win. While it fuels his ego, Howon also seeks out competitions as a form of validation. Winning lets him know that he is as good as he thinks he is; as he wants to be. And losing tells him that he needs to work harder.

"I'll try to just enjoy the night," Howon appeases his friend. He knows Sungjong won’t let him leave the salon without promising at least that much. "No matter what happens."

Sungjong straightens his back and smiles the kind of smile that says Howon won't like what he has to say. (As opposed to the one that says he doesn't quite believe Howon, but he'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Howon has seen that one quite a few times.) "I know you'll enjoy it. Especially since you're sitting next to Eunji."

Despite himself, Howon's eyes immediately search the mirror's reflection. She's sitting on the other side of the salon, chatting with a couple of other actresses and models and not at all aware of him (weirdly staring at her). He looks back up at Sungjong with feigned ignorance. "What does she have to do with anything?"

Sungjong's smile only grows. "Why don't you tell me?"